/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I am running a mini study please particiate

جوري
11-02-2008, 11:47 PM
This is informal and before I do anything major just need to get a rough idea-- it is a sort of a cohort study :hmm: for now I just need you to kindly participate by voting in the area that most applies, and if any of the first three apply, I need you to express the following on the account it couldn't be included--
1- Did you seek professional help for your symptoms
2- Did you take anything for your symptoms?
3- on average how long did your symptoms last?
4- what do you believe brought them on?
5- what do you believe made your symptoms subside
6- on average what constitutes 'often'', under special circumstance' or 'rarely', in other words, how many times per month or per year?
7- Does anyone else in your family suffer such symptoms?
8- Do you know anyone who has committed suicide because of such symptoms
9- Do you have any other serious medical conditions or that require medications?

here is the list of symptoms

Pounding Heartbeat
Difficulty Breathing
Smothering Sensation
Chest Pain Or Discomfort
Tingling Numbness Of The Skin
Lump In Throat
Hot Or Cold Feeling
Sweatiness
Shakiness
Nausea
Palpitations or a thumping heart.
Sweating and trembling.
Hot flushes or chills.
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations.
Chest pains.
Feeling sick.
Feeling dizzy, or faint.
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die
Numbness, or pins and needles.
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I understand that some of you may not be comfortable answering these questions non 'anon' and so in that case if you don't want to answer it is fine but pls vote, it is confidential, no one will know who you are, it is especially important I see the female/male ratio of this..

:w:

alcurad
11-03-2008, 12:05 AM
what's this about anyway:?

جوري
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
there is no prize at the end.. you'll just be helping me out..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-03-2008, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
Do you mean all these symptoms at the same time?
:sl:

I am sorry, I should be more clear..

if you experience some or all of these symptoms at the same time, in an isolated time.. in other words as an ex., you were about to ride the subway for instance and all of a sudden you felt buckling in your knees, dizziness, your heart pounding etc.. so it doesn't have to be all of the symptoms, and there need not be a major provocation for such symptoms ..

Güven
11-03-2008, 12:11 AM
:salamext:

Sounds interesting
and no i have never had those symptoms except for feeling sick but thats normal innit

جوري
11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
I see. I voted for the last one.
you are of new use to me Alpha :enough!: .. no just kidding :D

Jazaka Allah for voting.. I wish folks would try to answer my Questionnaire at the same time, is there a way to grant anonymity? It would help me out to read a bit, about how old the person, any other sort of accompanying medical ailment etc..

جوري
11-03-2008, 12:18 AM
lol.. it is aight.. I am glad you don't experience such symptoms wal7mdlilah -- I'll wait to see the voter turnout and then take it from there..

Jazaka Allah khyran

Yanal
11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Interesting answers. I get sweaty in the gym and get sick likeGüven that's normal right. What does It mean if you get all symptoms?

جوري
11-03-2008, 12:29 AM
this is NOT a scientific study, in other words, I don't know anything about anyone's medical history here to conclude in favor or one thing or another, depending on your age, gender and health condition, demographics even, it could be anything from a heart attack to a panic attack to a thyroid storm.. women are more prune to panic attacks than men, hence the ratio so far of 'often' is limited to two females.. if a male clicked on often depending on age I'd go more with cardiac symptoms than central nervous system, so the questions were meant to accommodate that on some level -- I don't expect healthy young males to suffer panic or anxiety attacks, not saying they don't.. in fact men when it comes to depression/suicide risk/ anxiety attacks, men are often under treated and under diagnosed.. another reason really that I have posted this here...

Jazakoum Allah khyran for participating

Na7lah
11-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Pounding Heartbeat no
Difficulty Breathing no
Smothering Sensation no
Chest Pain Or Discomfort no
Tingling Numbness Of The Skin no
Lump In Throat sometimes
Hot Or Cold Feeling sometimes *it would actually depend
Sweatiness no
Shakiness sometimes
Nausea sometimes
Palpitations or a thumping heart. no
Sweating and trembling. no
Hot flushes or chills. sometimes
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations. no
Chest pains. no
Feeling sick. everyone gets sick once in a while right :p
Feeling dizzy, or faint. almost never
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die :muddlehea
Numbness, or pins and needles. no
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself. like wanting to stay away from EVERYTHING? yeah sometimes

are you trying to find something out with this? me i can never tell how i'm going to feel, one minute i can be depressed kinda like and the next i'll be hiper and hapy again so i'm kinda unpredictable i guess :hmm:

جوري
11-03-2008, 03:54 AM
:sl: dear sister..
the sx aren't experienced in isolation!.. a few more or all at the same time with a sudden rapid onset which may take from two minutes to a few hrs!
else we all feel sick with one or the other for the mere common cold!.

the only way I can describe this symptom is say, you have gotten only a couple of hours of sleep, traveled somewhere and woke up abruptly even say on an airplane (takes you a few seconds to realize where you are and what happened) however when experiencing this symptom a person doesn't regain their 'normalcy' for the duration of the symptoms..

Thank you for your participation

Na7lah
11-03-2008, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
the only way I can describe this symptom is say, you have gotten only a couple of hours of sleep, traveled somewhere and woke up abruptly even say on an airplane (takes you a few seconds to realize where you are and what happened) however when experiencing this symptom a person doesn't regain their 'normalcy' for the duration of the symptoms..

Thank you for your participation

wa alaykis salam :)

ok in that case i dnt think i'v felt that before though i heard alot of it its pretty commen :)

You're welcome ^_^

جوري
11-03-2008, 04:06 AM
al7mdlilah.. being of sound health is actually a good thing :smile:

Jazaki Allah khyran

Woodrow
11-03-2008, 04:08 AM
I answered yes to all of them. However, they all occured at a time I had a heart attack,

I have experienced Anxiety and isolation at another time without most of the other symptoms, and that was related to chronic depression.

جوري
11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I answered yes to all of them. However, they all occured at a time I had a heart attack,

I have experienced Anxiety and isolation at another time without most of the other symptoms, and that was related to chronic depression.
:sl: it does in fact mimic a heart attack.. most people unless they know because of a prior episode think they are having a heart attack.. go on to the hospital get a cardiac workup and everything is normal..

I knew this poor Iraqi girl who used to experience this on weekly basis, and she had no insurance, so every time she goes into the hospital hyperventilating with shortness of breath and crushing chest pain, sweating, feeling like she is about to collapse, they get the big workup, comes back normal and her bill toward the end was tremendous... it can be debilitating in more ways than one can fathom...

I appreciate everyone who is participating in this..

Jazakoum Allah khyran

Woodrow
11-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Having experienced both, I would say it is impossible for an individual having either, to know if it is or is not a heart attack, It does need to be treated as a medical emergency.

I feel sorry for your friend, it is very destructive to a person's finances, like you said, debilitating in more than one way.

جوري
11-03-2008, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Having experienced both, I would say it is impossible for an individual having either, to know if it is or is not a heart attack, It does need to be treated as a medical emergency.

I feel sorry for your friend, it is very destructive to a person's finances, like you said, debilitating in more than one way.
No one is immune from it really.. the first time I had an episode was in England and thank God they have socialized health care there.. they didn't do any work up on me lol ;D
they sized me up (since they are not really in fear of litigation) figured young female eh.. took my blood sugar, blood pressure, gave me their version of tylenol and sent me home.. so I was grateful.. ( my episode actually happened while asleep it woke me up with pounding in my chest) so you can understand why it felt more and more like a full fledged heart attack than anything else.. but after much research, I discovered these can happen completely unprovoked even during sleep as rare as that is ...

I don't get them often but they can happen provoked or unprovoked.. and they can make ones life miserable.. in its midst.. it isn't as if you can rationalize and intellectualize your way to normalcy.. just have to learn what to do until it is over...

I still expect more women to experience this than men ... but we'll see...

Jazaka Allah khyran akhi for being so open about this...
hope your insurance claims folks aren't reading this ;D

Woodrow
11-03-2008, 05:24 AM
No one is immune from it really.. the first time I had an episode was in England and thank God they have socialized health care there.. they didn't do any work up on me lol ;D
they sized me up (since they are not really in fear of litigation) figured young female eh.. took my blood sugar, blood pressure, gave me their version of tylenol and sent me home.. so I was grateful.. ( my episode actually happened while asleep it woke me up with pounding in my chest) so you can understand why it felt more and more like a full fledged heart attack than anything else.. but after much research, I discovered these can happen completely unprovoked even during sleep as rare as that is ...

I don't get them often but they can happen provoked or unprovoked.. and they can make ones life miserable.. in its midst.. it isn't as if you can rationalize and intellectualize your way to normalcy.. just have to learn what to do until it is over...

I still expect more women to experience this than men ... but we'll see...

Jazaka Allah khyran akhi for being so open about this...
hope your insurance claims folks aren't reading this ;D

Insurance? what's that?

One advantage of being a service connected veteran, the VA pays all my med bills. But, I am pretty much stuck with VA hospitals.

جوري
11-03-2008, 05:26 AM
:haha: touché

VA hospitals aren't that bad.. actually.. just depends which state....

Woodrow
11-03-2008, 05:35 AM
It will be interesting to see your results. Personally I believe the incidence of anxiety, Panic Attacks, and depression are under reported for males. Us males have a tendency to deny we experience them.

Would be nice if some form of physical test could be found. i suspect in time there will be as there should be a correlation between synoptic activity and levels of depression.

جوري
11-03-2008, 05:43 AM
very true..
there is such a thing as reactive depression as well.. where bad events have a direct chemical influence.. yesterday I started a thread entitled a doctor's toxic shock..
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A9629C8B63
his condition worsening after meds.. it was an interesting read.. sob7an Allah...
no one is immune from this, old young, male/female.. doctors/patients .. it is the human condition.. I am glad there is so much info out there about it.. I know in my home country anyone seeking meds for any sort of 'depressive disorder' is shunned (maybe things have changed now?)

I am not sure there is anything quite so bad as being a prisoner to one's own mind..

May Allah swt have mercy on this umma..

Danah
11-03-2008, 08:35 AM
I voted for I am a female and have never experienced these symptoms

root
11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Guess u people are talking anxiety/panic attacks, I suffer from these and have learned self management, never seen medical help and feel that I have conquered it.

A truly horrible experience..........

maryam87
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
This is informal and before I do anything major just need to get a rough idea-- it is a sort of a cohort study :hmm: for now I just need you to kindly participate by voting in the area that most applies, and if any of the first three apply, I need you to express the following on the account it couldn't be included--

here is the list of symptoms

Pounding Heartbeat (no)
Difficulty Breathing (only once was in a bad situation)
Smothering Sensation (no)
Chest Pain Or Discomfort (no)
Tingling Numbness Of The Skin (no)
Lump In Throat (after crying too much i get that feeling)
Hot Or Cold Feeling (mm when the weather changes)
Sweatiness (no)
Shakiness (when im feeling really nervous)
Nausea (if i have breakfast too late)
Palpitations or a thumping heart. (no)
Sweating and trembling. (When i remember somethings people told me- wish they hadnt:cry:)
Hot flushes or chills. (no)
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations. (no)
Chest pains. (no)
Feeling sick. (when im going to get sick)
Feeling dizzy, or faint. (during exam times since wouldnt have had enough sleep and will be really tired and under stress)
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die (no)
Numbness, or pins and needles. (mm i actually twice had this feeling that when i woke up my body was paralysed i literally couldnt move i thought my soul was coming out, it was really scary. But i dont know what it was)
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself. (no, im always stuck in reality)

so do i sound normal :-\

جوري
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
within two standard deviations from the norm.......... kidddddding.. :lol:

mystifyed
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Assalam o alikum
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die. this thing happens to me alot

Hawa
11-06-2008, 01:49 AM

I'm not sure how I'm meant to do this, forgive me if I'm going about it the wrong way. I have to say though that I'm a very poor eater and that's probably affected my answers.

Pounding Heartbeat---almost always, though probably because I drink coffee all day everyday and usually chase after buses and elusive professors.

Difficulty Breathing---never

Smothering Sensation---no

Chest Pain Or Discomfort---was once diagnosed with angina after very bad chest pains :) I still get sharp pains, but not very often. No more quack visits though..

Tingling Numbness Of The Skin---only when anxious

Lump In Throat---when close to tears

Hot Or Cold Feeling---only when feverish :)

Sweatiness---when exercising (rarely)

Shakiness---no

Nausea---again bad diet, too much junk and I get sick every once in a while

Palpitations or a thumping heart---too much coffee

Sweating and trembling---no

Hot flushes or chills---hopefully not for a long time :D

Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations---no

Chest pains---asked already

Feeling sick---answered already

Feeling dizzy, or faint---I do get blackouts, but they don't last long. Used to faint a lot when I was a teenager. I recall fainting once out of fear.

Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die---passed that phase

Numbness, or pins and needles---numbness not really. I've got pins and needles right now from my sitting position

Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself---always, I fear I may have lost touch with reality a long time ago.

1- Did you seek professional help for your symptoms? Yes, chest pains.

2- Did you take anything for your symptoms? Strong painkillers

3- on average how long did your symptoms last? Still ongoing but less painful.

4- what do you believe brought them on? No idea

5- what do you believe made your symptoms subside? No idea

6- on average what constitutes 'often'', under special circumstance' or 'rarely', in other words, how many times per month or per year? Rarely, once every two months, can't say for sure.

7- Does anyone else in your family suffer such symptoms? Not that I know of

8- Do you know anyone who has committed suicide because of such symptoms? No

9- Do you have any other serious medical conditions or that require medications? Do horrible bunions constitute serious medical condition?

aqsakhan
11-06-2008, 04:45 AM
may ALLAH solves your problems i really dont have any idea what its all about i did'nt understood

Ali_Cena
11-12-2008, 07:29 PM
inshallah, so sister skye, what will you be using our records on? i.e what is the study on?, if you dont mind answering that is.
Peace

جوري
11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
women seem to experience these symptoms at a ratio of 2:1
that is what I have concluded.. I am not using this to publish... hence I stated in the beginning this by now means is a scientific study -- maybe in the future with my findings here I might do some serious research on the matter?

I think the purpose of any study should go beyond epidemiology and stats to focus on alleviating cause or rx of symptoms... but not enough people seek help for a gamut of reasons

Jazaka Allah for participation and interest........

Olive
11-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Erm, I've never encountered all of the symptoms at one given point but I do rarely get a few when I'm feeling ill...

Chuck
11-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Pounding Heartbeat (Yes)
Difficulty Breathing (Not really)
Smothering Sensation (No)
Chest Pain Or Discomfort (Yes, when I lay on my left side)
Tingling Numbness Of The Skin (Not really)
Lump In Throat (No)
Hot Or Cold Feeling (No)
Sweatiness (No)
Shakiness (No)
Nausea (No)
Palpitations or a thumping heart. (Thumping heart, sometimes)
Sweating and trembling. (No)
Hot flushes or chills. (No)
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations. (No)
Chest pains. (sometimes)
Feeling sick. (No)
Feeling dizzy, or faint. (No)
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die (No)
Numbness, or pins and needles. (No)
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself. (No)

Chuck
11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Why I can't sleep on my left side?

Pk_#2
11-13-2008, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Why I can't sleep on my left side?
Because you're supposed to sleep on Yr right side innay, ma mom said that...she sed else Allaah will beat you up. :rollseyes

Chuck
11-13-2008, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Because you're supposed to sleep on Yr right side innay, ma mom said that...she sed else Allaah will beat you up. :rollseyes
Well that is hadith, but I'm asking for medical reason. Whenever I sleep on my left side I feel my heart is under-pressure and discomfort. I mentioned in my answers to the questions in OP.

جوري
11-13-2008, 10:13 PM
your prob is likely musculoskeletal or digestive in origin...

people who have positional cardiac problems are likely pregnant women, in fact, we usually place them in the left lateral recumbent position on the account the gravid uterus presses on their major vessels (mainly the vena cava) and prevents blood from returning to the heart..

I can't assess anyone on the web... I think it is best you see your GP about this insha'Allah..
but I wouldn't worry about it---

Al-Zaara
11-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Pounding Heartbeat
Chest Pain Or Discomfort
Palpitations or a thumping heart.
Chest pains.
Feeling dizzy, or faint.
I sometimes experience the above and I am not aware under which cirmustances, sometimes yes but sometimes it just happens. What should I vote? It's not often, neither rarely and not under stress or other known circumstances, yet sometimes it can be.

S_87
11-15-2008, 04:00 PM
hope this helps:

Pounding Heartbeat (no)
Difficulty Breathing (no)
Chest Pain Or Discomfort (no)
Lump In Throat (rarely)
Hot Or Cold Feeling (cold yes)
Sweatiness (no)
Shakiness (no)
Nausea (yes)
Palpitations or a thumping heart. (rarely)
Sweating and trembling. (no)
Hot flushes or chills. (chills yes)
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations. (no unless ive over worked out)
Chest pains. (no)
Feeling sick. (yes but thats because i have a fear of puking so doesnt really count)
Feeling dizzy, or faint. (yes-dizzy quite a bit, dont faint so often though)
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die (not really except under certain circumstances)
Numbness, or pins and needles. (yes a lot of the time-pins and needles)
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself. (nO)

Ansariyah
11-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Pounding Heartbeat (only after I run, or work too much around the house, going up stairs etc)
Difficulty Breathing (yes)
Chest Pain Or Discomfort (Yes)
Lump In Throat (no)
Hot Or Cold Feeling (no)
Sweatiness (no)
Shakiness (no)
Nausea (yes)
Hot flushes or chills. (wen I am sick)
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations. (yes, but only short of breath, no choking)
Chest pains. (I feel tightness sometimes)
Feeling sick. (sometimes)
Feeling dizzy, or faint. (yes-dizzy)
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die (no fear, but sometimes I do feel like I am about to die).
Numbness, or pins and needles. (no)
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself. (last night:()

Chuck
11-16-2008, 01:29 AM
your prob is likely musculoskeletal or digestive in origin...

people who have positional cardiac problems are likely pregnant women, in fact, we usually place them in the left lateral recumbent position on the account the gravid uterus presses on their major vessels (mainly the vena cava) and prevents blood from returning to the heart..

I can't assess anyone on the web... I think it is best you see your GP about this insha'Allah..
but I wouldn't worry about it---

I fear my heart maybe bigger than normal.

جوري
11-16-2008, 04:13 AM
I fear my heart maybe bigger than normal.
oh? how did you figure?

جوري
11-16-2008, 04:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Pounding Heartbeat (only after I run, or work too much around the house, going up stairs etc)
Difficulty Breathing (yes)
Chest Pain Or Discomfort (Yes)
Lump In Throat (no)
Hot Or Cold Feeling (no)
Sweatiness (no)
Shakiness (no)
Nausea (yes)
Hot flushes or chills. (wen I am sick)
Feeling short of breath, sometimes with choking sensations. (yes, but only short of breath, no choking)
Chest pains. (I feel tightness sometimes)
Feeling sick. (sometimes)
Feeling dizzy, or faint. (yes-dizzy)
Fear of dying or going crazy or about to die (no fear, but sometimes I do feel like I am about to die).
Numbness, or pins and needles. (no)
Feelings of unreality, or being detached from yourself. (last night:()

Jazaki Allah khyran sis and all who participated..

early in the thread, I mentioned that the symptoms DON'T happen in isolation, in other words, yes we have all felt nauseaous at some point, could be after having your friend's special Jello, or palpitations right before you are about to check your score on your exam, or sweating right after an intense workout. or faint right after a hot shower ( that is natural). the key to this, is that all or MOST of these symptoms come on AT ONCE either triggered by a provoker, or not triggered by anything, as in you were sleeping and all of sudden felt shortness of breath, paliptations, sweating, tightness in your chest, fear of dying etc etc....

So pls brs and sisters, when/if you participate, don't give me disjoined events where they occur in isolation...

thank you and Jazkoum Allah khyran

جوري
11-16-2008, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I sometimes experience the above and I am not aware under which cirmustances, sometimes yes but sometimes it just happens. What should I vote? It's not often, neither rarely and not under stress or other known circumstances, yet sometimes it can be.
Number 3 would be the best option for you.. and if often then number 1..

Jazaki Allah khyran

Science101
11-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I voted "I am a male and I experience these symptoms under some special circumstances (stress etc)" because it happens when I drink too much coffee. When I post something in a new forum like my theory knowing I'm going to get hammered by insults my palms sweat (fight or flight) and adrenalin starts flowing which is kinda exciting so maybe that is why I like to do it. Sort of like a somewhat pleasurable roller coaster scary feeling. I never needed to see a doctor for it. Writing helps relieve stress.

I never had a severe panic attack, luckily. The worse was many years ago when I was losing sleep for weeks. Sudden publicity from my science work sounded like I was going to be destroyed by the media (actually liked me but it was hard to tell) which made me feel confused like it was the end of my life. But I as they say "confronted my fears" and even went to broadcasting school, became a "survivor". These days little bothers me anymore, I got over it and now enjoy the stressful thrill that goes along with my work.

In case it helps, this is a forum reply to insults from hours ago that went from sweaty palms to both palms and feet after watching the music video (non-offensive shows man facing off with a line of riot police against him for what sounds like his thoughts they think makes no sense then there is surprising way of winning) I posted along with it to say what is hard to say in words. I guess challenging the state of Pennsylvania where ID is illegal to teach in public schools would do that! :D

http://exchange.ydr.com/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=62637

Chuck
11-16-2008, 10:10 AM
oh? how did you figure?

Just wondering, because of the symptoms: can't lie on the left side without discomfort, heart pounding is very strong, etc..

جوري
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Just wondering, because of the symptoms: can't lie on the left side without discomfort, heart pounding is very strong, etc..

in approaching a pt or in general.. science is about collecting data and then reaching a conclusion or several thus (ordering several tests to see which is most plausible) --
the general rule is 'common things are common, and rare things are rare' as simple as that is, unless you are sitting for the licensing exam in which case every patient is rare!

on your very first visit to a physician, s/he'd ask you the following ( see below) in an attempt to gather information from you that are relevant to your symptoms (they don't do it to annoy you) but because history and physical are the corner stone of medicine!.. your symptoms by themselves could really mean anything .. perhaps if you were an older gentleman over 60, it would be alarming, I don't know how old you are... after taking a thorough history and physical to elicit your symptoms.. your physician would go on to ordering cardiac or other pertinent tests -- a blood test, an EKG, maybe a stress echo, maybe a (MUGA) scan unlikely because it is a waste of resources but in general depending on your symptomatology and physical findings will determine the course of testing and treatment .. hence I state, no self-respecting scientist/physician can diagnose anyone over the web, or even offer treatment for their family for obvious and otherwise ethical reasons... maybe you are the 0.1% of the population who has idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis, or maybe you had a recent trip to Brazil and contracted Trypanosoma cruzi and developed a cardiomyopathy or digestive abnormality for same reasons and show up with similar symptoms...

I hope you genuinely understand why symptoms isolated could mean nothing or could mean something very serious, and it actually brings me back to the topic at hand, where I notice many participants giving me these disjointed events of when they experienced this or that -- by themselves they don't relate to the topic at hand-- undoubtedly we have all felt one or two or most on separate occasions!

H&P (History and Physical Examination) 'imaginary patient'

HPI: (history of present illness)
xy y o B male pat. admitted on .. with CC (chief complaint); seeking for medical attention b/o; Pat. was in usual state of health until .. begins; location, quality (deep, sharp, stinging) , severity, timing (onset sudden, duration, frequency), aggravating or relieving factors;

PMx: (past/prior medical history)
general: high blood pressure (HTN), cholesterol, diabetes, thrombosis, operations, allergies;
specific: stroke, seizure, thyroid, heart attacks, pneumonia, asthma, stomach-bleeding, PUD (peptic ulcer disease), jaundice, kidney-problems, gynecology, arthrithis
(ever been serious ill; remote history of; status post s/p; prior hospitalizations);
current medications: pat is on numerous medications, including;

SHx: (social history)
general: retired, occupation, marital status: single, divorced, married, widowed, lives alone/with, in nursing home, regency, in assistant living;
smoke: packages per day for how many years, quit when;
alcohol: regular basis or occasional

FMx: (family medical history)
father/mother a&w (alive and well), age and health status, died b/o (because of), major diseases in family (diabetes, heart, cancer, HTN, ..)

ROS: (review of systems)
negativ for, positive for, unremarkebal, questionable, denies Hx of, no Hx of recent;
general: recent changes in wheight (gain/loss/intentional or not), nightsweats, fever, chills, appetite and bladder/bowl problems (frequency, colour, pain related), nausea and vomiting;
head: dizziness, lightheadness, black/pass outs, vision changes, headaches, vertigo;
Skin: rashes, lesions, warm, moist, cold, diaphoretic;
endocrine: intolerance against heat or cold, tremor, diarrhea, hair losses; polydypsia
heart: chest pain/thightness (on exertion), palpitations, SOB (shortness of breath), PND (how many pillows), ankle swelling, nocturia;
lung: coughing (productive, phlegm), colour (yellowish, witish, red);
GI: belly pain related to meals, heartburn, localized tenderness, bowel-habits-changes;constipation,
GU: burning sensations on passing water, small voids, difficulty, dysuria, urgency, back (CVAT: costovertebralangle), flank or suprpubic pain;
Gyn: discharge, vaginal itching;
Extrem: leg pain related to walking, swelling, radiating back pain, joint pain, numbness and tingling, weakness, morning stiffness, varicose veins;
Neuro: blurred speech/visions, vocal quality changes, limb weakness

PE: (physical exam)

eyes+ears with othoscope
sclerea/conjunctivae
light reaction (PERRLA)
EOMI
visual fields
sens V.
motor VII
look mouth (plaque, moist)
stick out tongue
swallow
move head (supple, FROM)
(CN I-XII unremarkabel) lymph nodes
thyroid
JVD (+during palp liver)
------------------------------------
heart (+move left)
lungs frontal
carotides
---------------------------------
lungs (CAT, P&A normal)
spine
CVAT
bowl sounds (BS)
palp masses, lumps
liver, spleen
pulse in groin
---------------------------
pulses pop(pes
strength legs/hips/arms
sens, proprio, vibrat
---------------------------
reflexes (DTR)
babinski
higher coordination

(O): (objectives)
Gen: pleasant and appropriate, in acute distress, well nourished/developed/emaciated/older than stated age, AA&O (alert, awake and orientated);
VS: BP, P, Resp, Temp;
HEENT: EOMI, PERRLA, sclerea clean, CN II-XII unremarkebal, no facial droop, tongue moist, ear canal clean;
Neck: no lymphadenopathy, supple, lumps, no bruits over carotides, thyroid gland not enlarged;
lungs: clear to A&P, no crackles, ronchi, wheezes, no coughing up phlegm;
Heart: S1S2, no murmurs, no addit HS, RRR, no SOB; JVD sign negativ, ;
Abdomen, soft and nontender, no masses on palp, no ascites, no hepatic/spleen enlargement, no CVAT; no recent change in bowl habits,
Extrem: no edema, pulses , pop, pes; strenght equal 4+/5 bs, sens equal bs, coarse proprioception intact, vibration sensation grossly intact, no claudication history;
neuro: A&Ox3 (time/place/self); DTRs 2+ bs, Babinski ., higher coordination ; ...;

etc etc
finally: A&P (assessment and plan in SOAP (subjective, objective, assessment (tentative diagnosis), plan)

wa Jazaka Allah khyran

جوري
11-16-2008, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Science101
I voted "I am a male and I experience these symptoms under some special circumstances (stress etc)" because it happens when I drink too much coffee. When I post something in a new forum like my theory knowing I'm going to get hammered by insults my palms sweat (fight or flight) and adrenalin starts flowing which is kinda exciting so maybe that is why I like to do it. Sort of like a somewhat pleasurable roller coaster scary feeling. I never needed to see a doctor for it. Writing helps relieve stress.

I never had a severe panic attack, luckily. The worse was many years ago when I was losing sleep for weeks. Sudden publicity from my science work sounded like I was going to be destroyed by the media (actually liked me but it was hard to tell) which made me feel confused like it was the end of my life. But I as they say "confronted my fears" and even went to broadcasting school, became a "survivor". These days little bothers me anymore, I got over it and now enjoy the stressful thrill that goes along with my work.

In case it helps, this is a forum reply to insults from hours ago that went from sweaty palms to both palms and feet after watching the music video (non-offensive shows man facing off with a line of riot police against him for what sounds like his thoughts they think makes no sense then there is surprising way of winning) I posted along with it to say what is hard to say in words. I guess challenging the state of Pennsylvania where ID is illegal to teach in public schools would do that! :D

http://exchange.ydr.com/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=62637
:haha: --- you are too funny.. I am going to make me a cup o coffee now.

all the best

Chuck
11-16-2008, 06:53 PM
in approaching a pt or in general.. science is about collecting data and then reaching a conclusion or several thus (ordering several tests to see which is most plausible) --
the general rule is 'common things are common, and rare things are rare' as simple as that is, unless you are sitting for the licensing exam in which case every patient is rare!

on your very first visit to a physician, s/he'd ask you the following ( see below) in an attempt to gather information from you that are relevant to your symptoms (they don't do it to annoy you) but because history and physical are the corner stone of medicine!.. your symptoms by themselves could really mean anything .. perhaps if you were an older gentleman over 60, it would be alarming, I don't know how old you are... after taking a thorough history and physical to elicit your symptoms.. your physician would go on to ordering cardiac or other pertinent tests -- a blood test, an EKG, maybe a stress echo, maybe a (MUGA) scan unlikely because it is a waste of resources but in general depending on your symptomatology and physical findings will determine the course of testing and treatment .. hence I state, no self-respecting scientist/physician can diagnose anyone over the web, or even offer treatment for their family for obvious and otherwise ethical reasons... maybe you are the 0.1% of the population who has idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis, or maybe you had a recent trip to Brazil and contracted Trypanosoma cruzi and developed a cardiomyopathy or digestive abnormality for same reasons and show up with similar symptoms...

I hope you genuinely understand why symptoms isolated could mean nothing or could mean something very serious, and it actually brings me back to the topic at hand, where I notice many participants giving me these disjointed events of when they experienced this or that -- by themselves they don't relate to the topic at hand-- undoubtedly we have all felt one or two or most on separate occasions!
I understand that, just wondering worst case scenario. I'll visit a GP when I get time.

Ansariyah
11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by skye ephémérine

Jazaki allah khyran sis and all who participated..

Early in the thread, i mentioned that the symptoms don't happen in isolation, in other words, yes we have all felt nauseaous at some point, could be after having your friend's special jello, or palpitations right before you are about to check your score on your exam, or sweating right after an intense workout. Or faint right after a hot shower ( that is natural). The key to this, is that all or most of these symptoms come on at once either triggered by a provoker, or not triggered by anything, as in you were sleeping and all of sudden felt shortness of breath, paliptations, sweating, tightness in your chest, fear of dying etc etc....

So pls brs and sisters, when/if you participate, don't give me disjoined events where they occur in isolation...

Thank you and jazkoum allah khyran

#1& #3

Al-Zaara
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Number 3 would be the best option for you.. and if often then number 1..

Jazaki Allah khyran
We it's in the middle of those two! lol I'm a complicated patient. :p

I chose nr 3. We iyyaki!

جوري
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I understand that, just wondering worst case scenario. I'll visit a GP when I get time.
How old are you? worst case scenario for a young man who is other wise healthy and not on any meds or known to have serious medical history, would be peptic ulcer, or costochondritis (most likely)-- maybe and that is a long stretch mitral prolapse..

and Allah swt knows best--
it is best to see your ole GP :)

Chuck
11-17-2008, 12:09 AM
How old are you? worst case scenario for a young man who is other wise healthy and not on any meds or known to have serious medical history, would be peptic ulcer, or costochondritis (most likely)-- maybe and that is a long stretch mitral prolapse..

and Allah swt knows best--
it is best to see your ole GP :)

I'm in mid 20s.

جوري
11-17-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm in mid 20s.
yup-- very young and fairly healthy otherwise.. I'd put cardiac in origin at the bottom of the differential.. but you should go check it out anyway..
like the young lady in 'advise and counseling' section, who thought she was having a 'stroke' when in fact she was having mere anxiety attacks.. with the usual sequelae of respiratory alkalosis...

Yanal
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
So what's wrong with you If your hands shake?

جوري
03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
it means you are spending too much time staring at them.. you are how old 13? relax a little..

I am curious however if chuck did see his GP and what of his DX?

Chuck
03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
it means you are spending too much time staring at them.. you are how old 13? relax a little..

I am curious however if chuck did see his GP and what of his DX?

Didn't had the time to see a GP. :embarrass

Yanal
03-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok jazakAllah.

symori
03-15-2009, 08:16 AM
i voted the second last

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.