/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Islam on Rise in US

islamirama
11-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Fear of Islam on Rise in US, Says CAIR Report

Barbara Ferguson, Arab News

WASHINGTON — A prominent US Islamic civil rights group has released a study showing a significant increase in the total number of complaints of anti-Muslim bias in the United States between 2004 and 2005. The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations report blamed the trend of anti-Muslim bias including hate crimes, discrimination, and harassment on lingering animosity toward Muslims and a growing use of anti-Muslim rhetoric by some political, religious and media figures.

The organization said the increase is due to the lingering impact of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, increased awareness of civil rights issues in the Muslim community and what the group says is a general increase in anti-Muslim sentiment in American society.

According to the study, called “Presumption of Guilt,” that total is a 25.1 percent increase over the preceding year’s total of 1,972 cases. One of the most significant increases is in the category dealing with government agencies, which rose sharply from 19.22 percent of total reports in 2005 to 36.32 percent in 2006. This increase, said CAIR, was due primarily to the number of cases related to immigration issues such as citizenship and naturalization delays.

Nine states and the District of Columbia accounted for almost 81 percent of all civil rights complaints to CAIR in 2006.

They include (in descending order):

California (29 percent),
Illinois (13 percent),
District of Columbia (7 percent),
Florida (7 percent),
Texas (6 percent),
New York (5 percent),
Virginia (4 percent),
Michigan (3 percent),
New Jersey (3 percent) and
Ohio (3 percent).

In addition, the number of incidents reportedly involving some form of police or law-enforcement abuse, such as unreasonable arrests, detentions, and searches, rose sharply in 2004, constituting more than one-fourth of all cases of abuse or discrimination, according to the report.

But CAIR’s Communication Director Ibrahim Hooper praised what he called “the responsiveness” of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, FBI, to reports of hate crimes against Muslim Americans which encouraged more victims to come forward.

“Every time we referred a hate crime to the FBI, it’s been investigated thoroughly and professionally,” he said. The report, however, called on the FBI to act more proactively rather than relying on groups like CAIR to report incidents.

“These disturbing figures come as no surprise given growing Islamophobic sentiments and a general misperception of Islam and Muslims,” said CAIR Legal Director Arsalan Iftikhar, who wrote the 62-page report.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=4&section=0&article=97572&d=17&m=6&y=2007

-------------------

Please circulate the PDF file to all your contacts:

FEAR SMEARING ANTI-ISLAM TACTICS - - http://www.sendspace.com/file/om7pt1

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
let them fear us, until it gnaws at their miserable souls!

The Khan
11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Media Tags are no longer supported

BlackMamba
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Fear=respect

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
Fear=respect
I wouldn't go that far. I wouldn't even say it was based on "fear" in any event. More like suspicion. Suspicion doesn't breed respect, it only breeds division.

YusufNoor
11-04-2008, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
let them fear us, until it gnaws at their miserable souls!
:sl:

i'm with the sister on this one!

:D

:w:

جوري
11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
^^Jazaka Allah khyran akhi..

I really don't see how their fear affects us? that is if I wish to subscribe to questionable accuracy of these pools of surveys.. be that as it may, let them dump more money into wars until they go bankrupt with their economy further collapsing, while drafting
undereducated drop out pimply kids whose only talent seems to be putting up vids of themselves on youtube engaging in various degenerate acts in over seas prisons onlyto have their heads chopped off on TV so they can whine more about their 'fears'

:w:

Liberty
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
That's just tragic. I understand the misconceptions surrounding Islam and it's unfair that this faith gets degraded the most in comparison with Christianity or Judaism.

Khalil_Allah
11-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Man, I am lucky that I am white. No one is afraid of me. But I walk around with pakis and arabs, and people just stare at us. I just smile because I think it's funny that there is like this white dude walking around with bearded muslims. But I feel bad for them because they get stared at all the time.

AvarAllahNoor
11-07-2008, 05:32 PM
This is what happened to the Irish here back in the 70's/80's & 90's.

crayon
11-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not from the US... so much drama.

Liberty
11-08-2008, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalil_Allah
Man, I am lucky that I am white. No one is afraid of me. But I walk around with pakis and arabs, and people just stare at us. I just smile because I think it's funny that there is like this white dude walking around with bearded muslims. But I feel bad for them because they get stared at all the time.
I love it when people embrace their culture/religious traditions in modern western societies.

It's cool seeing people in Islamic outfits at school.

& if I were Muslim, I wouldn't mind the stares. I'd revel in them.
Because it means I wouldn't be following the mainstream/popular western norms.

Do you walk about in Islamic outfits?
You should :)
There aren't enough White Muslims doing that :coolious:

Amadeus85
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I dont think that Americans are afraid of mainstream muslims. They rather have justified suspicious toward political islamists.

BlissfullyJaded
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
:sl:

I really don't see how their fear affects us?
Through hate crimes, discrimination, and harassment, etc as the article said.

That said, alhamdulillah I've never been a victim of hate crimes, just some stares which is normal and even got that before 9/11. I guess it might also depend on the area you're in though and the diversity there.

Pk_#2
11-08-2008, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalil_Allah
;D There are loads of white Muslim brothers where I live Alhamdhulillah iz cooteness, but white Muslimah's are rare to find =( *poKe*

No one fears us, well some weirdo's do, :-\

islamirama
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
What would you do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jZjm8xMwg

Argamemnon
11-10-2008, 10:33 PM
As a Muslim I don't think being feared is something to be proud of (except on the battlefield, when they attack us). We should always examine our own actions and strive to be good Muslims and respect all people - be kind and generous etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.