/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your favourite verses from the Noble Quran?

Eye-OfThe-Storm
11-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Asalamu'Alaykum.

Sorry if this type of thread has been explored in the past. I am new and I did a search as best I could but did not come up with anything so I decided to make one.

Anyway I wanted to share some my favorite verses from the Quran and to hear some of yours.

Now of course there is not such thing as good and bad verses in the Quran. Every letter is divine and worthy of our full attention. But there are always some verses which we hold dear for whatever personal reasons or simply because we appreciate the message.

Anyway, I'll add more as the thread progresses but for now Ill give three.

I have always loved Ayat 22 and 23 of Surah Yunus.

"He it is Who enableth you to traverse through land and sea; so that ye even board ships;- they sail with them with a favorable wind, and they rejoice thereat; then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think they are being overwhelmed: (then) they cry unto Allah, making their faith pure for Him only: If Thou deliver us from this, we truly will be of the thankful." [10:22]
"Yet when He hath delivered them, behold! they rebel in the earth wrongfully. O mankind! Your rebellion is only against your own souls. (Ye have) enjoyment of the life of the world; ,and We shall show you the truth of all that ye did. "[10:23]

It is such a powerful metaphor for the way human beings behave. When our lives are hard and things are not going well, then we remember Allah(SWT). But when things get good and our worries are gone we put thoughts of our creator in the back seat. Same thing with civilizations themselves. During wars, famines, disasters, poverty etc - the Mosques, Churches, Synagogues and temples are full. But when life is good and there are no worries religion becomes a past-time.

I remember Imam Awlaki once said brilliantly "Remember Allah in times of illness and He will remember you when you are well. Remember Allah in times of poverty and He will remember you in times of provision. Remember Allah in times of hardship and He will remember you in times of ease. Remember Allah this world and He will remember you in the Hereafter.

------

Hmm the post is getting a bit lengthy. I also love the last third of Surah Yaseen. From about Ayat 50 onward to Ayat 83. There are many descriptions in the Quran about the believers and disbelievers on the day of Judgment. I like this one because one Friday during Jumuah the Imam explained the Surah with great clarity and It is just something that has stuck in my memory ever since.

The verses are a bit lengthy to paste here so I'll just post a nice video with the recitation of those exact verses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my29d...eature=related

I gotta go to bed now. Big exam tomorrow morning. Insha'Allah I will post other verses I like.

Please share your own thoughts and views about particular passages and verses in the Quran and why you hold them dear.

Asalamu'Alaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cute123
11-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Walekum Assalam

I join you on this thread. My one of the favourite verse is

Surah Wud . Verse # 8

وَلاَ يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شَنَآنُ قَوْمٍ عَلَى أَلاَّ تَعْدِلُواْ اعْدِلُواْ هُوَ أَقْرَبُ لِلتَّقْوَى

And let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just, that is nearer to Taqwa; and have Taqwa of Allah.

Abu Ilyas
11-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Surah An-Najm:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.