/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with some Hadith...

Hamayun
11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Salam Alaikum Brothers and Sisters.

I read this post by someone a while back. I am struggling with myself to make sense of them. I am sorry if it offends anyone but I have doubts about them :-[

1)The jinni may appear in the form of a human being as recorded in Sahih al-Bukhari when a devil came to Abu Hurairah (R.a) in the shape of a poor man and Abu Hurairah found the devil taking much food of charity.
2) The jinni may appear in a form of dog or black cat as confirmed in Sahih Muslim that the Prophet (p.b.u.h) said: "A black dog is devil". Ibn Taimiya (May Allah's Mercy be upon him) said: 'The black dog is a devil, and the jinn often appear in its form, since the black color can bring the devilish powers more than other colors.
3) The jinni can appear in the shape of snakes. Thus, the Messenger (p.b.u.h.) banned killing home snakes lest may any of them be a Muslim jinni. Abu Said al-Khudri (R.a) said that Allah's Messenger (p.b.u.h) said: "There are Muslim Jinn in al-Madina: If one appears to you, in any form, you are to admonish it to depart for three days. If it appears after that, you must kill it, for it is truly a devil". [Reported by Imam Muslim]
Also I have heard it is possible for us to Marry a Jinn. How will we know who is a Jinn? :-[

Sorry for the silly question.

Jazakallah Khair.

Hamayun

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
:salamext:

Allahu Alim about the black dog thing maybe someone else can help InshaAllah ? :)

an this is what I found regarding marrying a jinn.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

The question of whether a human may marry a jinni is a controversial one. There is no evidence from the Shari`ah that can be said to be authentic in that regard.

The majority of jurists are of the opinion that such a marriage is not lawful, but some jurists consider it to be lawful. The first opinion is the more correct to follow.

Allah Almighty says: "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect" (Ar-Rum: 21)

He Almighty also says: ''O people! be careful of (your duty to) your Lord, Who created you from a single being and created its mate of the same (kind) and spread from these two, many men and women; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, by Whom you demand one of another (your rights), and (to) the ties of relationship; surely Allah ever watches over you" (An-Nisaa': 1).

In these verses, mate and mates refer to spouses from the same kind, i.e., humankind.

Besides, there would be no offspring if a human and a jinni were to marry each other.

According to Mughni Al-Muhtaj by Al-Khateeb Asherbini, a Shafi`e scholar, there are two kinds of prohibitions to marriage: perpetual and non-perpetual. Of the perpetual prohibitions is marriage between humans and jinn; it is not lawful for a member of human kind to marry a jinni.

Allah Almighty says: ''O people! be careful of (your duty to) your Lord, Who created you from a single being and created its mate of the same (kind)" (An-Nisaa': 1). He Almighty also says: "It is He Who created you from a single person, and made his mate of like nature." (Al-A`raf: 189).

An unauthentic hadith was reported on the authority of Ibn Abi Ad-Dunya to the effect that it is forbidden to marry the jinn.

According to Rad Al-Mehtar `ala Ad-Dur Al-Mukhtar by Ibn `Abdein, a Hanifi scholar, the jurists define marriage as “a contract that makes it lawful for a man to make love to a woman without there being a lawful prohibition to this marriage.” A lawful prohibition here refers to marriage to another man or to a hermaphrodite, a polytheist woman, a closely related woman, or a female jinn.

Contemplating the verses ''Marry women of your choice" (An-Nisaa’: 3) and"And Allah has made wives for you from among yourselves" (An-Nahl: 72), one can realize that it is only women of human kind that are lawful for men to marry. In addition, a jinn male may take the form of a female and vise versa.

Also according to Al-Ashbah, a book on juristic rules by Ibn Nujaym, marriage between a human and a jinni is not lawful, for they are of different worlds.

It was said that Al-Hassan Al-Basri was of the opinion that such a marriage is lawful so long as there are witnesses to it. But it was also reported that he did not believe it is lawful.

Any way, the more correct opinion to follow in this regard is that it is not lawful for a human being to marry a jinni, for they are of different worlds.

In Al-Ashbah wa An-Nadha'r, Imam As-Suyuti, an eminent Shafi`i scholar, wrote: ''Answering the question 'is it lawful for a human being to marry a jinni?' Imad Ibn Yunus said, 'Yes.'”

This question was also one of those that Sheikh Jamal Ad-Din Al-Esnawi posed to the supreme judge Sharaf Ad-Din Al-Barazi.

Sheikh Jamal asked the supreme judge, “Is it lawful for a man to marry a female jinn? Contemplating Allah's Words "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves" (Ar-Rum: 21), I find that from among yourselves refers to that one's mate or spouse is to be from the same kind as one, and this is a blessing from Almighty Allah. But if we supposed that this might be lawful, as Ibn Unus said in Sharh Al-Wajeiz, would the man in this case have the right to oblige his jinn wife to stick to home or not? Suppose also that he would dislike to see her in a form other than the human one; would he have the right to prevent her from incarnating in other forms? Also, would the conditions required in a valid marriage contract be required in this case, also? For instance, would the jinn’s guardian's approval be required? Would their marriage be acceptable according to the jinn laws? Suppose that once, he did not recognize her, for she was incarnating in a form different from that he usually sees her in, but she told him it was she. Would he believe her and thus could he make love to her? Would he also be required to provide her with food that the jinn eat, such as bones and the like?”

The supreme judge Sharaf Ad-Din Al-Barazi answered:

It is not lawful that members of human kind marry members of jinn kind. This is inferred from the following verses: 'And Allah has made wives for you from among yourselves' (An-Nahl: 72) and 'And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves' (Ar-Rum: 21).
The exegetes say about these verses that the words from among yourselves in both verses refer to human kind; they may be paraphrased from your own kind or from your own nature.

These verses are analogous to the verse “Now hath come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves” (At-Tawbah: 128), for from amongst yourselves here refers also to human kind.

Besides, Allah Almighty refers in His Book to the women who are lawful for men to marry: “O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee; and daughters of thy paternal uncles and aunts, and daughters of thy maternal uncles and aunts” (Al-Ahzab: 50). [What was applied to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) according to this verse is also applied to Muslim men in general.] Mind that it is juristically known that this verse also indicates that single women who are not related to one may also be marriageable to one.

Allah Almighty also refers in His Book to the women who are prohibited in marriage to one. Notice all this is about marriage to women of human nature. This is because there is no marriage between human beings and jinn. (The words of Sharaf Ad-Din Al-Barazi end here.)

[Still according to As-Suyuti,] Sheikh Jamal Ad-Din Al-Esnawi commented:

This is Al-Barazi’s answer. If I was asked for my opinion in this, I would say that marriage between human beings and jinn is unlawful for many reasons.

First, Al-Kermani reported in his Masa’il that there was a hadith reported to the effect that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) forbade marriage from the jinn.

Though this hadith is not authentically reported, yet its truthfulness is supported by the opinions of the scholars in that respect. For example, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Qatadah, Al-Hakam ibn Uyaynah, Ishaq ibn Rahawei, and `Uqbah Al-Assam were of the opinion that this marriage is not lawful. Also, Al-Jamal As-Sajstani, a Hanifi scholar, said in his book, Minyat Al-Mufti `an Al-Fatawa As-Sirajjiyyah: “Marriage between human kind and jinn is not lawful, for they are of different worlds.”

Second, the aims of marriage are to find tranquility, peace, and compassion with a partner close to one. All this would be lacking with jinn partners, for hatred for human kind is innate in their nature.

Third, there is nothing in the Shari`ah to the effect that it is permitted to marry members of the jinn. Allah Almighty says: “Marry women of your choice” (An-Nisaa’: 3). It is known that women refers to female members of human kind. This indicates that it is unlawful to marry other than women.

Fourth, it is not principally permitted for a free man to marry a slave woman, in order that they not may bring forth a slave child, which is not in the interest of the child. By comparison, marrying a female jinn may result in bringing forth a child having jinn characteristics, which is far worse than slavery. Hence, so long as it is not permitted for a free man to marry a slave woman, though both belong to the same kind (human kind), it is with greater reason not to permit marriage to jinn, for they are of different nature.

By analogy, we also find that it is prohibited to cross donkeys and horses, for this results in a hybrid different from horses, and this may, in turn, lead to the rarity of horses. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) commented on those who do so by saying, “Those who do so are ignorant.” If so is the case with animals, it is with greater reason that it also be the case with marriage between humans and jinns.

However, Abu `Uthman Sa`id ibn Al-`Abass Ar-Razi said in his book Al-Ilham wa Al-Waswasah that it was reported that some Yemeni people wrote to Imam Malik: “A male jinni has come to us and proposed to marry a young (human) woman saying, ‘I seek to stick to the right path by this proposal.’” Imam Malik answered, “I see that there is nothing wrong in doing so, but I dislike to expose this woman to a situation where she might be asked about her husband and she would answer, ‘It is a male jinni.’ This may lead to corruption among Muslims.”

In his book Akam Al-Murjan, Ash-Shabli, a Hanifi scholar, stated: Scholars are of two opinions regarding marriage between humans and jinn. One says it is unlawful and the other says it is lawful. The first view was adopted by a group of Hanbali scholars and was also reported in As-Seraji Fatwas. They cited as evidence in this respect Almighty Allah's words "And Allah has made wives for you from among yourselves" (An-Nahl: 72) and "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect" (Ar-Rum: 21). They also cited as evidence in this regard a hadith to the effect that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) prohibited marriage to jinns. The second point of view in this regard was reported to have been adopted by Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Qatadah, and others.
Source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503548132

The Khan
11-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Sahih Muslim, book #4, Hadith #1032

Abu Dharr reported: The Messenger of 'Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When any one of you stands for prayer and there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle that covers him and in case there is not before him (a thing) equal to the back of the saddle, his prayer would be cut off by (passing of an) ass, woman, and black Dog. I said: O Abu Dharr, what feature is there in a black dog which distinguish it from the red dog and the yellow dog? He said: O, son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as you are asking me, and he said: The black dog is a devil.

Muslim :: Book 10 : Hadith 3813

Abu Zubair heard Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with him) saying: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered us to kill dogs, and we carried out this order so much so that we also kill the dog coming with a woman from the desert. Then Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade their killing. He (the Holy Prophet further) said: It is your duty the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes), for it is a devil.

Dawud :: Book 16 : Hadith 2840
Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah:

The Prophet of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) ordered to kill dogs, and we were even killing a dog which a woman brought with her from the desert. Afterwards he forbade to kill them, saying: Confine yourselves to the type which is black.

Dawud :: Book 16 : Hadith 2839
Narrated Abdullah ibn Mughaffal:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Were dogs not a species of creature I should command that they all be killed; but kill every pure black one.

That's all I could find on black dogs.

Obey the messenger.

And this is what I found in the noble Qur'an regarding dogs:

(1) (Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,- doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth. Say thou: "My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case)." Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers. (Al-Kahf: 22)

(2) Thou wouldst have deemed them awake, whilst they were asleep, and We turned them on their right and on their left sides: their dog stretching forth his two fore-legs on the threshold: if thou hadst come up on to them, thou wouldst have certainly turned back from them in flight, and wouldst certainly have been filled with terror of them. (Al-Kahf: 18)

(3) If it had been Our will, We should have elevated him with Our signs; but he inclined to the earth, and followed his own vain desires. His similitude is that of a dog: if you attack him, he lolls out his tongue, or if you leave him alone, he (still) lolls out his tongue. That is the similitude of those who reject Our signs; So relate the story; perchance they may reflect. (Al-A'raaf: 176)

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Please provide the link/sources of where you are getting these brother :)

and dont worry about doubts, we all get them, may Allah reward you for researching to find the truth! Ameen!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamayun
11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I am not sure of the sources but Brother Khan seems to have found some of the sources above.

Killing all black dogs seems a but harsh :-[

Also found more confusing Hadiths on Jinn and animals here:
There are ahadith that mention animals and relations to jinn. Example, the camels were created from the devils and behind every camel there is a shayton.

The Messenger sallaAllahu 'alayhi wa sellem said, "The camel was created from the devils, and behind every camel there is a devil." Sahih Muslim 3/332 #450

"Narrated by 'Abdullah bin Maghfil ra said, "The Messenger of Allah sallaAllahu 'alayhi wa sellem said, 'Pray in the sheep pens, and do not pray in the places where camels sit, for they were created from the devils.'" Sahih Sunnan ibn Majah, 1/128 #623

There is also ahadith that claim "black dogs" as jinn or they see jinn...but only certain black dogs and it has to do with the eyes for distinction...AND YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO KILL THE BLACK DOGS.

Book 010, Number 3813: Muslim Abu Zubair heard Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with him) saying: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered us to kill dogs, and we carried out this order so much so that we also kill the dog coming with a woman from the desert. Then Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade their killing. He (the Holy Prophet further) said: It is your duty the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes), for it is a devil.

We also know that the Jinn have the ability to change shape or take form of humans or animals. There are ahadith to prove this...recorded in Al Bukhari 4/486 #2311 And we are to recite ayatal Qursi before sleeping and you will continue to have protection from Allah, and no devil will come near you until morning...(aya 255)

Also when a snake is in a house, you are to ask it to leave and if it doesn't leave your house within three days, it is considered a jinn and you are allowed to kill it according to the sahihaan.

Book 026, Number 5559: Muslim Abu Sa'id Khudri reported Allah's Messenger having said: There is a group of jinns in Medina who accepted Islam, so he who would see anything from these occupants should warn him three times; and if he appears after that, he should kill him for he is a satan.

Also, when a donkey brays it sees a jinn as recorded in ahadith...

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "When you hear the crowing of cocks, ask for Allah's Blessings for (their crowing indicates that) they have seen an angel. And when you hear the braying of donkeys, seek Refuge with Allah from Satan for (their braying indicates) that they have seen a Satan."
Volume 4, Book 54, Number 522: Bukhari

(I would also like to mention this hadith where the Prophet sallaAllahu'alayhi wa sellem mentioned about killing in ihram... al Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 54, Number 532: Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful of a person in the state of Ihram to kill any of these five animals: The scorpion, the rat, the rabid dog, the crow and the kite.")

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.