/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijabs

Liberty
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I've just noticed the Muslim girls at uni who wear these and I think it's really cool that they maintain their beliefs through this mode.

Is it really compulsory for Islamic women to wear this?

What about in Western societies?

Also, not long ago, they were thinking of banning girls from wearing it to school. What did you guys think about that?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
11-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi :)

Yep - it is an obligation for Muslim women to cover their hair and dress modestly. And that includes all societies. Simply living in a society that has some anti-Islamic elements isn't enough. Only if a woman were in immediate/serious danger would she be allowed to remove it, and even then, she should replace it with a hat or something else that can achieve the same purpose as hijab, as much as possible.

I get very angry when I hear about hijab being banned in school. It's pathetic - they are making a girl choose between her education and religion.

And for a lot of girls the choice is clear. I'm currently at university and I know if hijab were banned I would give up my degree, not my hijab, even though that would devastate me!

I really see it as oppression.

Liberty
11-04-2008, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I'm currently at university and I know if hijab were banned I would give up my degree, not my hijab, even though that would devastate me!
Amen to that! :)

Malaikah
11-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Actually that isn't true - I wouldn't give up my degree. First I would REBEL:raging: and go to uni wearing a beanie, a scarf around my neck and a jumper with a hood on it, the hood pulled over my head. Haven't got much of a plan for the summer though. :-\ Maybe a paper bag.:rollseyes

And if they then change the law again to make it say you must actually show your hair... hmm... I guess thats when I'll have to leave. But noisily. Very noisily.:Evil:

I heard of a story in France where one girl actually shaved her head and went to school. Teachers were outraged, the students supported her, and even though it isn't technically correct (she would still have to cover her head even if she didn't have hair) I admire her courage and commitment!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Liberty
11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I heard of a story in France where one girl actually shaved her head and went to school. Teachers were outraged, the students supported her, and even though it isn't technically correct (she would still have to cover her head even if she didn't have hair) I admire her courage and commitment!
You are fierce!
And for good reason!
Let's hope you won't have to resort to extreme measures for a basic human right.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.