/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Eating

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
:salamext:

I was going to post in the Ladies Room but I kinda changed my mind.

Erm so yeh, why do some people do it? Like how do you explain it? Like whyyyy like why would we seek comfort in food of all things?

I aint dissing btw :-[

So yeh, any thoughts before I continue?

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
piXie
11-05-2008, 11:17 AM
:sl:

Women do that mostly when they are depressed. You will find that people who are depressed will resort to Junk Food like cakes and pastries because it makes them feel good. Their body demands carbohydrates because carbohydrates lift the mood. Sugar makes you hyper. [ :( -----> :D]

But because foods like that have very little nutritional value, their mood flops back down again. [ :D ------> :( ]

So instead of turning to Junk Food to make yourself feel good, one should turn to nutritional food. Like fish :p for example, it is very good for depression [contains the Omega 3's and 6's]. And Milk

Also Foods which contain the B Vitamins (B6, B12) and niacin. Such as potato, porridge, bananas, nuts etc.

These foods increase the serotonin levels in your brain, and lift the mood.

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
:wasalamex

Lol I should have known somebody would pop out the word serotonin. I might have to inject myself with that someday ;D

JazakAllah khayr sis. Nuts are good I believe. Brazil nuts, pine nuts, cashew nuts....nutty nuts...All of em are

I know that some women turn to chocolate like crazy. Some people are diff though, like me...I will eat anything when I'm down, like seriously anything but a lot of it. And I'm stick thin anyway so I aint bothered about weight or whatever.. but what you said makes sense.

Fish on the menu more often then :D lol. And I agree, junk makes you feel hyper for a lil while only

piXie
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JolieFleur
junk makes you feel hyper for a lil while only

Hey, thats my popcorn you've nicked. (Grabs a pillow)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie

So instead of turning to Junk Food to make yourself feel good, one should turn to nutritional food. Like fish :p for example, it is very good for depression [contains the Omega 3's and 6's]. And Milk

Also Foods which contain the B Vitamins (B6, B12) and niacin. Such as potato, porridge, bananas, nuts etc.

These foods increase the serotonin levels in your brain, and lift the mood.
.....what books have you been reading? :ooh:

Edit:

lol people eat because food is delicious, what this comfort eating about? never even heard of it before

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
Hey, thats my popcorn you've nicked. (Grabs a pillow)

Lol yah, thought I'd do a lil piskelating :p

I once watched summin about a lady who felt she had no control in her life and the only thing she could control was her diet etc. So she turned to chocolate real bad.

I think this is where bulimics come in too. SubhanAllah that aint me btw.

Cabdullahi
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
i eat food for bodybuilding...i dont know anything about comfort eating??

piXie
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mz
.....what books have you been reading? :ooh:

Mums Lectures bro. :-\

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I knew I'd get a brother asking about it. Lol to be honest I dont know. Even during my studies I havnt read into it much and neither did we go into coping mechanisms etc etc.. Its just a way of dealing with things spiralling out of control. I guess.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I knew I'd get a brother asking about it. Lol to be honest I dont know. Even during my studies I havnt read into it much and neither did we go into coping mechanisms etc etc.. Its just a way of dealing with things spiralling out of control. I guess.
so its when u get depressed and get fat

lol just say it sheesh, no need to go round the fat bend

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 12:22 PM
;D

Anta Majnoon.

SubhanAllah.

Nah not always btw, I mean who loves tea and uses it as a relaxant?

MO783
11-05-2008, 12:26 PM

I never heard of comfort eating beofre, this thread is also on ummah.com. i no now what it is, people do it when they are depressed, but they are other alternatives than eating, I have agreat one but it is abit embarrasing but I do no people do it around in the world

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MO783

I never heard of comfort eating beofre, this thread is also on ummah.com. i no now what it is, people do it when they are depressed, but they are other alternatives than eating, I have agreat one but it is abit embarrasing but I do no people do it around in the world

Oh ok, I think I've placed you now. Masha'Allah.

I think it's a lil like retail therapy btw (And no bro better ask what that is :$) .. you just do diff things to take your mind off of stuff

MO783
11-05-2008, 12:31 PM

Oh ok, I think I've placed you now. Masha'Allah.

I think it's a lil like retail therapy btw (And no bro better ask what that is :$) .. you just do diff things to take your mind off of stuff
I seriously dont understand what you mean sorry

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM

I don't think you've ever enjoyed the soothing calmness of sipping on green tea. :-\

MO783
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
do you know wha joiflur is on about ?

noorseeker
11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
i always comfort eat, i need to have chocolate, the taste just makes you feel so good.

Faith.
11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
lol
I eat when im bored...:)
I'll jus look in the fridge every 5 mins

Cabdullahi
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
The sister's explanation of what comfort eating is, was very clear.
its like when something bad happens in ur life and you're mentally down you then become accustomed to just eating a particular food,if you are still not satisfied with what it means then there is always google:)

Güven
11-05-2008, 05:13 PM

When I feel boring I eaaaaat , Thats Comfort Innit ? :p

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad

I don't think you've ever enjoyed the soothing calmness of sipping on green tea. :-\

I dislike tea with a passion :$

That was just an example, some people do that. I'm personally happy sitting beside the roaring coal fire (which is kinda stinky but still) with a mug of cocoa. But that's me.

Lol I was equating comfort eating with therapeutic shopping but if I talk about that you guys are gonna diss me :$

format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
i always comfort eat, i need to have chocolate, the taste just makes you feel so good.
Wow, and you're a bro :thumbs_up

format_quote Originally Posted by XxFaithxX
lol
I eat when im bored...:)
I'll jus look in the fridge every 5 mins
And then there's that.... :p

format_quote Originally Posted by J.U.N.I.O.R
The sister's explanation of what comfort eating is, was very clear.
its like when something bad happens in ur life and you're mentally down you then become accustomed to just eating a particular food,if you are still not satisfied with what it means then there is always google:)
Couldnt have explained it better myself .. kool

format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

When I feel boring I eaaaaat , Thats Comfort Innit ? :p

I dont understand how you can feel hungry when bored *scratches head*

But I always say I'm hungry when I'm bored, is that the same? ;p

جوري
11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
funny when I am mentally down my appetite completely shuts down -- I almost marvel at how being down can do the reverse for others.. I mean where do you get your appetite when you are bummed -- don't you just want to cocoon yourself and not exist?

the only thing I like to do with I am really down is shop for pre world war II surgical instruments..

:w:

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
don't you just want to cocoon yourself and not exist?
No :eek: :$

Well yeah....but then you can eat and be cocooned at the same time huh? :p

But for real, nah I dont feel that way. I mean, I like existing. It's just sometimes you just feel too weak too. So that's where the eating comes in.... Heck yeah! That makes sense :p

the only thing I like to do with I am really down is shop for pre world war II surgical instruments..
They actually sell those?

جوري
11-05-2008, 10:59 PM

They actually sell those?

sure they do.. here is a post mortem set

they haven't changed much for the most part although now a days they use the stryker saw instead

gets you to the skull faster, so you don't spend three hours chiseling at someone's calvaria....:D

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Ahh....erm... I wouldnt like to meet you on a dark night

Lol but feeling down doesnt make me feel.....evil :-[ if anything the heart feels real tender. You're just frightening :p

جوري
11-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Ahh....erm... I wouldnt like to meet you on a dark night

Lol but feeling down doesnt make me feel.....evil :-[ if anything the heart feels real tender. You're just frightening :p
I am a sweetheart my nice just told me :D
collecting old surgical instruments is a hobby -- haven't felt the need to use them on anyone---yet ^o)

bewildred
11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't think that bulimic or hyperphagic behaviors are specific to one gender. Men are as declined to depression as women. One eats a lot to fill a psychological, affective or social emptiness. A therapy is needed in deed.

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
I am a sweetheart my nice just told me :D
collecting old surgical instruments is a hobby -- haven't felt the need to use them on anyone---yet ^o)

Nice hobby :shade: Well maybe I'll think so one day...:p

format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
I don't think that bulimic or hyperphagic behaviors are specific to one gender. Men are as declined to depression as women. One eats a lot to fill a psychological, affective or social emptiness. A therapy is needed in deed.
Agreed. The percentage is probably higher in women though. I think men tend to vent in different ways. They release it rather than bottle it.

جوري
11-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice hobby :shade: Well maybe I'll think so one day...:p

.. I have always been an acquired taste :-\

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
.. I have always been an acquired taste :-\
I'm begininng to realise just how unique you are sis :p

But back on topic, I was actually surprised when I read the percentage of males with eating disorders, subhanAllah I'd never have thought it.

bewildred
11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
It's just that us blabbering chicks have this tendency to talk freely about our probs. It's a kinda taboo for them guys. When smoking, drinking and other physical abusive behavior may sound "glamourous" compulsive eating is a chick thing.

Re.TiReD
11-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, they have a hard time admitting it.

Seen it.

It's sad really.

I mean in the sense that under that tough exterior there's a lil bitta squishiness :$ :p

Actually, I've been wanting to use this quote since forever, lol he'll be so :@ that I used it (I think) :$ :p

Contrary to popular belief, us men are complex creatures..I really think they should dedicate a whole degree on how to understand us and how to treat us

LOL!

S_87
11-06-2008, 01:21 AM
;D

me :hiding: sweet tea aaaaaaaaaaah
when im upset i dont comfort eat though..i just dont eat at all :coolious:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-06-2008, 01:49 AM

That was just an example, some people do that. I'm personally happy sitting beside the roaring coal fire (which is kinda stinky but still) with a mug of cocoa. But that's me.
I enjoy doing that as well, sitting near a fireplace on a cold winter night is like seriously relaxing. Especially if there's a comfortable chair near the fireplace + a good book + either hot cocoa or green tea = Comfort.

Re.TiReD
11-06-2008, 12:05 PM
lol! What's the point not eating amani? ;p

Well I cant explain it, it just so happens that this time I was unwell on top of other things so I guess having a cold does increase ur appetite.

And yeah, Abu Sayyad, that is some serious comfort. Actually, if you think about it...Warmth is just comfort. Just that one thing.

S_87
11-06-2008, 12:45 PM
lol! What's the point not eating amani? ;p

if i ate id feel sick and fat so that makes me worse. so i dont eat and lose weight and that makes me feel good. the opposite to comfort eating i guess. plus a great diet plan

MO783
11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
ok i understand what you mean , i dont really would say i comfort eat when i am depressed, I have another way although it is embarrasing

Sahabiyaat
11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
some people can control there comfort eating, so like when there upset they eat , and then theyll stop and theres those who go on eating untiil they become over weight.

im a bit like amani, ...if somethings bugging me, i stop eating altogether rather than comfort eat, and either discuss my problemm, which is the best remedy, trust me, and if thats not possible, i just give myself some 'me time' with some tea and a book, and just think things over, and pray ofcourse.

Re.TiReD
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
lol whats doggy running away from....or to?

Yeah....lol this thread makes me laugh now actually. Misery is for one day only....after that.... lol Alhamdulillah

Sahabiyaat
11-06-2008, 01:43 PM
it stopped running ^o), so i deleted him by accident...dunno where hes gone, silly dog.

MO783
11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
wat r u talking about ?

gladTidings
11-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Comfort eating for me is self justification for having all the cheese cake to myself... I want to marry cheese cake and never share it with anyone!

But yeah I agree the 'comfort' of comfort eating is only temporary... retail therapy has longer lasting effects =P

Sahabiyaat
11-07-2008, 07:36 AM
wat r u talking about ?
*sigh*
there was a little running dog in my sig, by accident i deleted it. i couldnt see it but by some miracle jolie still could..the things that girl can do...so yeh. lol.

bewildred
11-07-2008, 09:02 AM
See? Besides the fact of adding up more depression to depression and gaining weight, there's another side effect to comfort eating. You'll see running dogs in siggies and then *puf* they disappear.:D

Re.TiReD
11-07-2008, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
Comfort eating for me is self justification for having all the cheese cake to myself... I want to marry cheese cake and never share it with anyone!

But yeah I agree the 'comfort' of comfort eating is only temporary... retail therapy has longer lasting effects =P
Retail therapy....:shade: it's so true innit :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
*sigh*
there was a little running dog in my sig, by accident i deleted it. i couldnt see it but by some miracle jolie still could..the things that girl can do...so yeh. lol.
Lol :p *wub*

See? Besides the fact of adding up more depression to depression and gaining weight, there's another side effect to comfort eating. You'll see running dogs in siggies and then *puf* they disappear.:D
;D

lol firstly I'm not despressed and I dont gain weight no matter how much I eat :$ :p

I found this. It explains it in more detail:

Comfort eating ... the greatest saboteur of weight loss success!
We all comfort eat from time to time. Often when we feel stressed, bored or lonely. Or we just want to cheer ourselves up.

Most of us do it without even being aware of it. That extra biscuit with a cup of coffee. That naughty bar of chocolate at the supermarket checkout. That temptation to have that extra helping because we've enjoyed the first one so much.

Most of the time we comfort eat when we're not really hungry at all.

How it all starts ...
Comfort eating is something that is instilled in us from birth.
When we were babies we cried and our mothers comforted us with their milk. As we grew older we were given treats for comfort or when we hurt ourselves. We were rewarded with sweets or the occasional ice cream when we were good.

We were learning the lessons that food could make us feel better. And the early lessons in life always stay with us. But, unfortunately for many of us, these comfort eating lessons often come back later in life and cause weight loss havoc!

When we feel under pressure or when we get upset or worried those old comfort eating buttons get pressed and no food is safe!

When we are eating for comfort, food becomes a way of making ourselves feel better. It might just be caused by a stressful day or by something that is worrying us. Or it may to down to something more significant

• poor relationships
  • lack of love
  • lack of confidence or security
  • low self-esteem
The important thing to realise is that comfort eating is not about being greedy and not being able to cope - it is a learned behaviour. A way of trying to make ourselves feel better with food.
Most of the Comfort Eating foods are very more-ish, the manufacturers ensure that they are. We therefore come to associate some foods with comfortable feelings.

If you've seen the Bridget Jones movies you'll have seen a wonderful example of modern day comfort eating. When she's upset Bridget eats. When she's angry she eats. When she's lonely she eats. It's hilarious because there is so much truth in it. So many people identify with it.

http://www.comforteating.com/what.html

MO783
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
people do not always eat when they are depressed. some people resort to other things

Sahabiyaat
11-07-2008, 06:22 PM
yes, you keep hinting that.
you may want to say it aloud.we wont laugh.promise.

bewildred
11-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Take a deep breathe MO and tell us what's heavy on your mind. You'll feel much better after....lol.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-08-2008, 09:03 AM
i comfort sleep, not eat...does that count jolie :D

Cabdullahi
11-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Take a deep breathe MO and tell us what's heavy on your mind. You'll feel much better after....lol.
RIDICULOUS :rollseyes

bewildred
11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Yup you talk outa knowledge JR.

Pk_#2
11-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Yup you talk outa knowledge JR.
Don't pick on Jr, :-\ He's nice!

Now now children, ON TOPIC we're are discussing comfort eating,

What's Mo talking about? :rollseyes

*poKes* BW

*PoKes* Jr

*poKes* Mo

Re.TiReD
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
lol.

I know what bro Mo is talking about. I guess different people have different needs. They feel secure in different ways I guess.

Are you over your problem yet akhee?

Muezzin
11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
When I'm depressed I tell people to get back on topic and try not to bring certain members' personal problems into a public thread.

I also moonlight as Spider-Man.

bewildred
11-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Lol@Muezzin. Gotcha, you're right.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.