/* */

PDA

View Full Version : World hopes for a 'less arrogant America'

islamirama
11-07-2008, 05:22 AM
World hopes for a 'less arrogant America'

By WILLIAM J. KOLE and MATT MOORE, William J. Kole And Matt Moore, – Tue Nov 4

BERLIN – A world weary of eight years of George W. Bush was riveted Tuesday by the drama unfolding in the United States. Many were inspired by Barack Obama's focus on hope, or simply relieved that — whoever wins — the current administration is coming to an end.

From Berlin's Brandenburg Gate to the small town of Obama, Japan, the world gears up to celebrate a fresh start for America.

In Germany, where more than 200,000 flocked to see Obama this summer as he moved to burnish his foreign policy credentials during a trip to the Middle East and Europe, the election dominated television ticker crawls, newspaper headlines and Web sites.

Hundreds of thousands prepared to party through the night to watch the outcome of an election having an impact far beyond America's shores. Among the more irreverent festivities planned in Paris: a "Goodbye George" party to bid farewell to Bush.

"Like many French people, I would like Obama to win because it would really be a sign of change," said Vanessa Doubine, shopping Tuesday on the Champs-Elysees. "I deeply hope for America's image that it will be Obama."
Obama-mania was evident not only across Europe, where millions geared up for all-night vigils, but even in much of the Islamic world, where Muslims expressed hope that the Democrat would seek compromise rather than confrontation.

The Bush administration alienated Muslims by mistreating prisoners at its detention center for terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and inmates at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison — human rights violations also condemned worldwide.

"I hope Obama wins (because) of the need of the world to see the U.S. represent a more cosmopolitan or universal political attitude," said Rais Yatim, the foreign minister of mostly Muslim Malaysia.
"The new president will have an impact on the economic and political situation in my country," said Muhammad al-Thaheri, 48, a civil servant in Saudi Arabia. Like so many around the world, he was rooting for Obama "because he will change the path the U.S. is on under Bush."

Nizar al-Kortas, a columnist for Kuwait's Al-Anbaa newspaper, saw an Obama victory as "a historic step to change the image of the arrogant American administration to one that is more acceptable in the world."
Yet John McCain was backed by some in countries such as Israel, where he is perceived as tougher on Iran.

Israeli leaders, who consider the U.S. their closest and most important ally, have not openly declared a preference. But privately, they have expressed concern about Obama, who has alarmed some by saying he would be ready to hold a dialogue with Tehran.

Taking a cigarette break on a Jerusalem street corner, bank employee Leah Nizri, 53, said Obama represented potentially frightening change and voiced concern about his Muslim ancestry.

"I think he'll be pleasant to Israel, but he will make changes," she said. "He's too young. I think that especially in a situation of a world recession, where things are so unclear in the world, McCain would be better than Obama."
Even in Europe, McCain got some grudging respect: Germany's mass-circulation daily Bild lionized the Republican as "the War Hero" and running mate Sarah Palin as "the Beautiful Unknown."

In Berlin, Republicans Abroad organized a "November Surprise Election Party" to watch live "how the Republican ticket McCain/Palin comes from behind and leaves the 'liberal elite media' in Europe and the United States puzzled."
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown clung to convention by refusing to say which candidate he wants to see win. Regardless of the outcome, he told Al-Arabiya television while on a tour of the Gulf, "history has been made in this campaign."

In Baghdad, a jaded Mohammed al-Tamimi said he didn't think U.S. policy on Iraq would change. Even so, "we hope that the new American president will open a new page with our country."

Kenyans made their allegiance clear: Scores packed churches on Tuesday to pray for Obama, whose late father was born in the East African nation, and hailed the candidate — himself born in Hawaii — as a "son of the soil."
"Tonight we are not going to sleep," said Valentine Wambi, 23, a student at the University of Nairobi. "It will be celebrations throughout."

Kenyans believe an Obama victory would not change their lives much but that hasn't stopped them from splashing his picture on minibuses and selling T-shirts with his name and likeness. Kenyans were planning to gather around radios and TV sets starting Tuesday night as the results come in.
"We will feast if Obama wins," said Robert Rutaro, a university president in neighboring Uganda. "We will celebrate by marching on the streets of Kampala and hold a big party later on."

In the sleepy Japanese coastal town of Obama — which translates as "little beach" — images of him adorned banners along a main shopping street, and preparations for an election day victory party were in full swing.
Election fever also ran high in Vietnam, where McCain was held as a prisoner of war for more than five years after being shot down in Hanoi during a 1967 bombing run.

"He's patriotic," said Le Lan Anh, a Vietnamese novelist and real estate tycoon. "As a soldier, he came here to destroy my country, but I admire his dignity."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081104/ap_on_re_eu/eu_us_elections_world_view

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
That is indeed what most people outside the US are hoping for, I think. I'm just not quite so sure Obama is any more likely to provide it than McCain. I have a sneaking suspicion McCain would have surprised a great many people in regard to foreign policy, but I guess now we will never know.

Gator
11-08-2008, 05:02 PM
One of the reasons I voted for Obama, was to get away from Bush's unilateral and basically idiotic approach to foreign policy.

Obama's policy statements and the doctrine of the people on his team are back to the things that we were good at and which were effective, such as building international consensus, diplomacy, compromise and intelligence.

Plus, and its a biggy, get rid of the PREEMPTIVE doctrine.

Obama will bring changes, just as if Gore had been president we would never have been Iraq.

Keltoi
11-08-2008, 05:25 PM
America will be more concerned with domestic policy for the next 4 years at least.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nocturnal
11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
America will be more concerned with domestic policy for the next 4 years at least.
Impossible. American domestic issues are deeply and inextricably linked with foreign policy. They have to reappraise their international approach, especially towards India and China to stablizie the situation domestically.

nocturnal
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
One of the reasons I voted for Obama, was to get away from Bush's unilateral and basically idiotic approach to foreign policy.

Obama's policy statements and the doctrine of the people on his team are back to the things that we were good at and which were effective, such as building international consensus, diplomacy, compromise and intelligence.

Plus, and its a biggy, get rid of the PREEMPTIVE doctrine.

Obama will bring changes, just as if Gore had been president we would never have been Iraq.
Sure, they were amazingly consummate at building international consensus when they decimated Somalia, when they sat by consuming big macs while a million people were being massacred in Rwanda, when they intensified sanctions on Iraq, crippling the country, hindering the import of critical medical supplies leading to all sorts of horrific deformities etc, when they condoned israeli occupation, exapansionism, annexation and persecution of the Palestinians and their land.

Sure, that's exactly what we need.

Keltoi
11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturnal
Impossible. American domestic issues are deeply and inextricably linked with foreign policy. They have to reappraise their international approach, especially towards India and China to stablizie the situation domestically.
They have to reappraise their trade agreements, other than that the domestic economic situation is a domestic concern. Especially when it is taxpayer money being used to bail out corporations and banks. Something I think McCain should have come out against. He might have won the election if he had.

Gator
11-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi.
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturnal
Sure, they were amazingly consummate at building international consensus when...
Just focusing on this bit and ignoring your crazed rhetoric, yes, they were good at building consensus to get the international community to work together and avoided things when they couldn't (instead of unilaterally invading countries without clear provocation).

AntiKarateKid
11-14-2008, 02:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
Hi.Just focusing on this bit and ignoring your crazed rhetoric, yes, they were good at building consensus to get the international community to work together and avoided things when they couldn't (instead of unilaterally invading countries without clear provocation).
Crazed rhetoric? Before dismissing it as crazy, you should at least state what is wrong with what he said. Otherwise, you might come off as ignorant.

nocturnal
11-14-2008, 01:13 PM
They have to reappraise their trade agreements, other than that the domestic economic situation is a domestic concern. Especially when it is taxpayer money being used to bail out corporations and banks. Something I think McCain should have come out against. He might have won the election if he had.
They've been borrowing billions from the Chinese, renegotiating global trade deals, enacting protectionist legislation, subsidizing domestic producers much to the detriment of producers in the third world and outsourcing a lot of services to Asia because of cheap labour. I think all those factors would impel the new administration into stringently trying to manipulate international markets and business trends in their favour.

That said, im not disagreeing that they will probably focus more intently on the economy, i just think that they're conscious of the fact that in a globalized world economy, they'd have to keep abreast of events unfolding beyond their own shores, just as other markets have had to do the same.

Plus, from a purely political perspective, one of Obama's key election pledges that catapulted him into the presidency was Iraq and the now impending withdrawal of forces from there. You then have a renascent Taliban in Afghanistan, a more assertive Russia, unstable nuclear armed and financially bankrupt Pakistan, massive schisms in Israeli and Palestinian politics, a more determined Iran, DRC turning into a catastrophe so large, that it's threatening to eclipse even Darfur, etc.

There is simply too much at stake for them to ignore. If they do ignore it, they'll be accused by Republicans of being complacent on national security and other international issues, hence costing them votes. This is a more convoluted issue than it might seem on the surface.

fouzie
11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't think this is true. There is no way they will ignore the world.

Keltoi
11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fouzie
I don't think this is true. There is no way they will ignore the world.

I didn't say the U.S. would ignore the world, simply that domestic policy will be more of a focus in the Obama administration than the Bush Jr. That is because there isn't really a choice at this point.

Woodrow
11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I didn't say the U.S. would ignore the world, simply that domestic policy will be more of a focus in the Obama administration than the Bush Jr. That is because there isn't really a choice at this point.
I agree. The tax payers mare not a happy group anymore. People do not want to see money leave the USA when it is needed desperatly here.There have been too many internal issues that have been ignored and people want a change.

We can no longer ignore poverty in the US, employment losses because of depending on foreign corporations for products.

The people want low cost locally produced goods, not low cost imports. Our business structure has to become competative with goods produced outside the US.

We need restructering to provide incentive for internal growth and less reliance on foreign products. We need to focus on once again being a nation of exporters instead of importers.

Some issues that need to be fixed that we have reached the point of no longer ignoring:

Poverty
Unemployment
Education
Return of State Rights
Reduction of Federal Power
Inflation
The Homeless
Native American Rights

These are issues that will dominate the next 4 years. Not by choice, but because they can no longer be ignored.

Keltoi
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I agree. The tax payers mare not a happy group anymore. People do not want to see money leave the USA when it is needed desperatly here.There have been too many internal issues that have been ignored and people want a change.

We can no longer ignore poverty in the US, employment losses because of depending on foreign corporations for products.

The people want low cost locally produced goods, not low cost imports. Our business structure has to become competative with goods produced outside the US.

We need restructering to provide incentive for internal growth and less reliance on foreign products. We need to focus on once again being a nation of exporters instead of importers.

Some issues that need to be fixed that we have reached the point of no longer ignoring:

Poverty
Unemployment
Education
Return of State Rights
Reduction of Federal Power
Inflation
The Homeless
Native American Rights

These are issues that will dominate the next 4 years. Not by choice, but because they can no longer be ignored.
Hey Woodrow, as a Native American I'm interested in what Native rights issues you are referring to. This probably isn't the thread, but that sounds like an interesting topic to me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.