/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings all!

Trollomore
11-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Hello everyone!

I'll apologise in advance to anyone for the slightest of offence in this post, hurt feelings are not my goal.

I'll start off with a little about myself:

I've been born into a household where the majority are dominantly atheist. My father and two brothers are atheist, while my mother is agnostic. I was agnostic up to around 16 years of age. My school life was typical of an english public school although perhaps not as strong as most at the time where Christian songs were sung in assembly up to Junior school level, but that was the highest level of religious interference I recieved in the schools I attended.
I accepted evolution the more I read about it because it made more sense to me then religion because it was based on evidence and not faith.

So who is this person and why is he on our forum that is obviously a pro-religious website of a particular belief. :coolious:

Well, religions fascinate me. Not from an agnostic view, but from a view by someone who cannot understand how people can have such faith in something that it's body of evidence are scriptures only while evolution is something born from science.
Where everything thesis is checked, rechecked and vigorously pulled figuratively arse backwards through the ropes in attempts to disprove it.

As I said above my goal is not to offend anyone, and I would like to try and avoid debating the contending beliefs between a religious view and an atheists view.
Not because I'm afraid of being swayed by what I believe is true, but because there's countless examples where that kind of topic is usually around 15 pages long with the two different parties using the same arguments. :coolious:

The most prevalent experience the West is recieving about Islam is this 'Jihad', it's understandable as the most horrible things stand out while everything else takes a back row, (Much like the ability to remember horrible memories better than good memories.. simply because they have more of an emotional impact on your life at the time) there's also the statements from Muslims that believe the world needs to be converted to Islam. Ok fair enough, all religions want this to happen with their religion and so it's expected. It's the militancy part that has people worried, the belief that Muslims should convert the world to Island through military force, and again, it makes an impression far more deeper then anything else would.

I'd like to know the views of this of the good people here on this forum.

How do you feel about this?
- Do you agree with a militancy approach or not?
- Do you feel the West is being ignorant and should learn more about your way of life?
- Do I need my faithless behind kicking off the forum preferably with a very large boot? :D
- And essentially anything else you feel is relevant to the topic.

I have a lot more questions, but this was just a quick one that I thought up while typing this
I look forward to discussing my questions with everyone on this forum!:thumbs_up

(Sorry about the long post.. I tend to edit and re-edit everything I do)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trollomore
11-09-2008, 04:47 AM
Gah! I've made errors and can't edit after posting! The horror! :cry:

Woodrow
11-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Greetings and Peace Trollomore.

To begin with Surah 2 Ayyat 156 specifically states "there shall be no compulsion in religion." We will respect your right to be an atheist.

You will find a lot of tolerance here. All we expect is the same from you. As long as your goal is not to bash or demean our beliefs, you will be accepted as a valued member. We do have several atheist and agnostic members, some have been here for several years.

It is all about mutual respect. We may not agree, but we can disagree with honor, respect and dignity.

جوري
11-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Greetings

pls use the search feature third from your anatomical right to search most commonly asked questions...

for instance you may partake in any of the following threads in lieu of starting a thread on the same subject matter

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...rspective.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...-delusion.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...evolution.html

in fact those are merely the first few threads out of 24 pages..

otherwise enjoy your stay

cheers

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
11-09-2008, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trollomore
Hello everyone!

- Do you feel the West is being ignorant and should learn more about your way of life?
- Do I need my faithless behind kicking off the forum preferably with a very large boot? :D

Probably because I spent a good part of my life in the military, I am now very opposed to any type of militistic attitude. But, probably because I have seen it misused very often. A well disciplined militancy attitude could be peacefull and friendly. But, most people lack the discipline for such.

simple answer is yes, there are many misconceptions about us. We are often seen as being Mideasterners who ride camels and live in the desert. I am a Connecticut born Yankee who spent quite a few years as a Texas cowboy and now am predominatly a horse rancher in the plains states. My wife is a native American Cheyenne from the North Cheyenne Reservation in Wyoming. We are Muslims and probably more of a typical Muslim than what the stereotype of us is.

Not yet :D

I suspect you will fit in fine. Your opening post shows a desire to at least find out what we are and not just listen to the stereotypical views.

AntiKarateKid
11-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Hello everyone!

I'll apologise in advance to anyone for the slightest of offence in this post, hurt feelings are not my goal.

I'll start off with a little about myself:

I've been born into a household where the majority are dominantly atheist. My father and two brothers are atheist, while my mother is agnostic. I was agnostic up to around 16 years of age. My school life was typical of an english public school although perhaps not as strong as most at the time where Christian songs were sung in assembly up to Junior school level, but that was the highest level of religious interference I recieved in the schools I attended.
I accepted evolution the more I read about it because it made more sense to me then religion because it was based on evidence and not faith.

So who is this person and why is he on our forum that is obviously a pro-religious website of a particular belief. :coolious:

Well, religions fascinate me. Not from an agnostic view, but from a view by someone who cannot understand how people can have such faith in something that it's body of evidence are scriptures only while evolution is something born from science.
Where everything thesis is checked, rechecked and vigorously pulled figuratively arse backwards through the ropes in attempts to disprove it.

As I said above my goal is not to offend anyone, and I would like to try and avoid debating the contending beliefs between a religious view and an atheists view.
Not because I'm afraid of being swayed by what I believe is true, but because there's countless examples where that kind of topic is usually around 15 pages long with the two different parties using the same arguments. :coolious:

The most prevalent experience the West is recieving about Islam is this 'Jihad', it's understandable as the most horrible things stand out while everything else takes a back row, (Much like the ability to remember horrible memories better than good memories.. simply because they have more of an emotional impact on your life at the time) there's also the statements from Muslims that believe the world needs to be converted to Islam. Ok fair enough, all religions want this to happen with their religion and so it's expected. It's the militancy part that has people worried, the belief that Muslims should convert the world to Island through military force, and again, it makes an impression far more deeper then anything else would.

I have a lot more questions, but this was just a quick one that I thought up while typing this
I look forward to discussing my questions with everyone on this forum!:thumbs_up

(Sorry about the long post.. I tend to edit and re-edit everything I do)

HIYA!!
Sorry man, but I can't understand where your coming from.

Evolution deals with "how we came here" and not "why we came here." WHen asking your mom about WHY you bought a house, do you settle for knowing HOW she bought it???

The farmer who understands weather effects and precipitation does not abandon faith in God when praying for rain.

Knowing how God created humans is not a deterrant to religion.

BTW You cannot explain why the universe is here or even reality itself. SOmething must have started everything.

Trollomore
11-09-2008, 06:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
HIYA!!
Sorry man, but I can't understand where your coming from.

Evolution deals with "how we came here" and not "why we came here." WHen asking your mom about WHY you bought a house, do you settle for knowing HOW she bought it???

The farmer who understands weather effects and precipitation does not abandon faith in God when praying for rain.

Knowing how God created humans is not a deterrant to religion.

BTW You cannot explain why the universe is here or even reality itself. SOmething must have started everything.
Okay not to dismiss you, but that's starting a debate of which I said I don't want to get into because of the obvious implications that it'd go inevitably nowhere.

My reason for being on this forum is not to debate religion against evolution but how the West views Islam and vice versa.

I'm focused on this because Islam is becoming, or indeed, is now a major player in the West and I'm interested in how people are reacting to this, what they know already and how they feel from what they know.

I merely mentioned evolution because I was introducing myself to the forum and explaining who I am and what I know to be true, sorry for the misunderstanding. :coolious:

AntiKarateKid
11-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Okay not to dismiss you, but that's starting a debate of which I said I don't want to get into because of the obvious implications that it'd go inevitably nowhere.

My reason for being on this forum is not to debate religion against evolution but how the West views Islam and vice versa.

I'm focused on this because Islam is becoming, or indeed, is now a major player in the West and I'm interested in how people are reacting to this, what they know already and how they feel from what they know.

I merely mentioned evolution because I was introducing myself to the forum and explaining who I am and what I know to be true, sorry for the misunderstanding. :coolious:

Oh.... ok then... so... welcome! LOL :D

crayon
11-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey Trollo, welcome to the forums. :)

x-strawberry-x
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
hi welcomee in islamicboard!!?? :)

'Abdul Rahmaan
11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Welcome! Glad to have you here. :)

Pk_#2
11-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Haallo Trollomore,

Welcome to Li,

Are you a troll? If yes, we have something in common =P

Be good,

Ciao,

PK

Danah
11-14-2008, 03:49 PM
welcome to LI :)

Trollomore
11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Haallo Trollomore,

Welcome to Li,

Are you a troll? If yes, we have something in common =P

Be good,

Ciao,

PK
To criticise religion is to offend.
There's no way out of that, so the only choice we have IS to offend.

Peace.

crayon
11-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Peace.

No, not necessarily. If something is criticized in a respectful and mature manner, there's no reason it should be offensive, or if it's stated as a question rather than an accusation.
But if it's something like "YOUR RELIGION IS HORRIBLE AND EVIL YOU ARE TOLD TO KILL ALL NON MUSLIMS YOU EVIL HATEFUL ARROGANT PEOPLE", then yeah, that's offensive.

Trollomore
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
No, not necessarily. If something is criticized in a respectful and mature manner, there's no reason it should be offensive, or if it's stated as a question rather than an accusation.
But if it's something like "YOUR RELIGION IS HORRIBLE AND EVIL YOU ARE TOLD TO KILL ALL NON MUSLIMS YOU EVIL HATEFUL ARROGANT PEOPLE", then yeah, that's offensive.
Well to be fair, that's not far from the truth by some individuals hiding in Mosques and then saying to the public in a bare faced lie that they 'didn't mean it'.

I can appreciate, that many Muslims are equally offended by this atrocity.

Another example would be some Muslim bookshops selling hate propaganda, and when they are confronted with thus issue and they promise to take it off the shelves, we see new, updated copies of it instead.
Kind of a cross fingered behind the back approach, to be perfectly honest.

And the whole Saudi Arabia controversy is beyond belief.

I'm not actually going to respond about how it's apparently 'easy' to not offend other peoples religions, because quite frankly, it's impossible no matter how hard you try.

Peace.

Pk_#2
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM

Peace.
Well Mr.Trollomore, criticise politely. :skeleton:

What can I say, other than, you will be greatly loved in this forum. :thumbs_up

Ali_Cena
11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Hello, brother Trollomore, how glad to see a new member.
How are you likeing the forum?
anyways seeing as you are interested in evolution and you belive that evolution is the right way to describe our beginning to life. why not check out the Biological Evolution- An Islamic Prespective thread, it has interesting points on why evolution does not account for how we arrived our how the first living organism came about, it just describes how we supposidly "evoloved".
anways not to start a debate here.:) just thought you might be interested.
Peace to you (hope you enjoy it here, dont worry we dont bite lol) From your new mate lol :D Ali.:thumbs_up

Ali_Cena
11-14-2008, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Well Mr.Trollomore, criticise politely. :skeleton:

What can I say, other than, you will be greatly loved in this forum. :thumbs_up
umm i think you want me to edit my post.. well i have deleted it now. i think thats what you wanted me to do lol.

Pk_#2
11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
PK how are you?
just wanted to spot out to you (dont know if you have recognised) but your way of life is undisclosed. anways i am sure you are muslim lol. see you around.
edit

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!