/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Harvard study shows positive impacts of Muslim hajj

islamirama
11-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Study finds that Muslim pilgrimage experience promotes peace, harmony, women’s rights.

HARVARD, Massachusetts – A study on the longer-term effect of participating in the Islamic pilgrimage found that Muslims communities have become more open in many ways after the Hajj experience.

The study, published by Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, says that hajj – Muslim pilgrimage - urges equality and harmony.

“It increases belief in equality and harmony among ethnic groups and Islamic sects and leads to more favorable attitudes toward women, including greater acceptance of female education and employment,” the study found.

Entitled ‘Estimating the Impact of the Haj: Religion and Tolerance in Islam’s Global Gathering’, the study also found that the hajj experience promotes peaceful coexistence.

“Increased unity within the Islamic world is not accompanied by antipathy toward non-Muslims,” stressed the Harvard study, adding that “Hajjis show increased belief in peace, and in equality and harmony among adherents of different religions.”

The study, which was based on data from over 1,600 applicants to Pakistan’s hajj visa allocation lottery in 2006, can be downloaded here.

The hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam that Muslims are expected to perform at least once in their lives if they have the means to do so.

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/saudi/?id=25680

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-10-2008, 04:53 AM
great post... hope if anyone on this forum is heading for hajj this year to pls keep me in your du3a..

:w:

crayon
11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Aww this makes me want to go to hajj again.:(
It's hajj season now, subhanallah time went by so fast! It was just ramadan a couple of weeks ago!

Namtes
11-20-2008, 07:44 AM
One of the greatest things Hajj did for me was increase my patience.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kwolney01
11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Great post brother!!

May we all be fortunate enough to perform hajj.

Jazak Allah Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.