/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why did Imam Malik & Imam Ibn Hanbal allow temporary marriage?

The Khan
11-10-2008, 06:01 PM
:sl:

These doubts are in my mind, I hope someone can shed some light?

Muhammad ibn Idris ash-Shafi`i, a 9th century Sunni Shafi'i Islamic scholar writes:
“ Nikah Mut'ah is our eyes is false, whilst Imam Malik deemed it permissible, as proof he says it was halaal and permissible, it was removed and was not abrogated ”
^ Al Hidaya Volume 1 p. 13
^ See also Fath al-Bari Volume 9 p. 73 Dhikr Mut'ah

“Mut'ah cannot be Nikah, Mut'ah is false, it should not be practised, Ibn Abbas and Imam Malik had differing views, in their views this was practicable"
^ Fatawi Qadhi Khan Volume 1 p 151 al Nikah Fayl

Ahmad ibn Hanbal, a 9th century Sunni Islamic scholar writes:
“ In the same way that Ibn Abbas deemed Mut'ah to be halaal, Imam Ibn Hanbal also stated Mut'ah was halaal ”
^ Tafsir ibn Kathir Volume 1 p. 14, Surah Nisa verse 24

“ Ibn Abbas and other party amongst the Sahaba narrated traditions that Mut'ah is halaal, and Ibn Hanbal also said that it was practicable ”
^ Al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah Volume 4 and p. 94, Dhikr Khayber

“ Ibn Abbas another Sahaba said that Mut'ah can be utilised when needed, Ibn Hanbal also narrated the same
^ Ibn Kathir's in his Tafseer, Surah an-Nisa, Page 3 under the verse 4:24

What is the view of the Hanbali and Maliki madhab today regarding this? If disallowing temporary marriage, why are they going against the words of their founding Imams?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.