/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which Imams.

*Maysun
11-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Assalaamu Alaikuum Warahamatullahi Wabarakatu.

Just Liked to know everyones Madhabs in this Forum.
But Please Dont say Salafi Assalaah, Name the imam that you follow.

• -Imam Hanafi
  • -Imam Malik
  • -Imam Shafii
  • -Imam Hanbal

Wa Jazakum Allah Khayra

سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك أشهد ان لا إله الا انت استغفرك واتوب اليك

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Soulja Girl
11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
:sl:

Imam Abu Hanifah... :coolious:

:w:

- Qatada -
11-12-2008, 06:16 PM
:salamext:

Just want to mention that the layman doesn't really have a madhab, but he does taqleed on any scholar [no matter what madhab that scholar is from]. But when he becomes a taalib ul 'ilm [student of knowledge] - he studies under one madhab to follow a set of 'usool [principles] (but he's not obligated to stick to any one specifically for all his life.)

more info;
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_quest...sub_cat_id=149

wa Allahu a'lam.

BlissfullyJaded
11-12-2008, 08:25 PM

^ Right, same diff, cuz you're still following the fiqh of one of those imaams, it's just being taught to you by somebody. Okay then, for more preciseness of her question, what is the madhab of your scholar? :)

I duno why this would really matter anyway. It might be better if it were in the form of a poll though. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*Maysun
11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Me, I Follow two imams.

Ahmad Bin Hanbal
And Imam Shafii

Soulja Girl
11-12-2008, 08:55 PM

^If you don't mind me askin... Why two? :hmm:

yasin ibn Ahmad
11-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Imam Hanafi

*Maysun
11-12-2008, 09:12 PM
i took two opinions rather than one .. since all of them are right anyways And Allah knows best! :)

Soulja Girl
11-12-2008, 09:16 PM

^Oh oki... :) So basically, if you think one opinion iz weak, you'd take the other? :-\

doorster
11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Maysun
Me, I Follow two imams.

Ahmad Bin Hanbal
And Imam Shafii

• -Hanafi (on father's side)
  • -Shafii (Sufi) on mother's side)
  • -Al Albaani (to check for fabricated Hadees in books and rulings of the above 2 Mazhahib)

Olive
11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I think it would be best if you added a poll but anyways:

Imam Abu Hanifah. ;)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Poll added.

Olive
11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad

Poll added.
JazakAllah, that's better! :D

BlackMamba
11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Imaam Abu Hanifa

*Maysun
11-12-2008, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

^Oh oki... :) So basically, if you think one opinion iz weak, you'd take the other? :-\

^ Yeh, kinda :)

maryam87
11-13-2008, 12:12 AM
havent studied any of them yet, shall do my homework during uni holidayz

BlackMamba
11-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I thought most people followed imam shafee lol everyone is hanafi so far

*Maysun
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
^Yeah same here.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
I thought most people followed imam shafee lol everyone is hanafi so far
i think thats because most of the people who have voted are asian (from india/pak etc) where they are mostly taught from the hanafi madhab.

I know thats the reason i follow the hanafi madhab, because my teacher learned it, and his teacher learned it.

Assalamu Alaikum

BlackMamba
11-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Ya ur right most desi people are hanafi is this forum made up of mostly desis

yasin ibn Ahmad
11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
Ya ur right most desi people are hanafi is this forum made up of mostly desis
What does desi mean?:confused:

Faye
11-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Hanafi
format_quote Originally Posted by *Maysun
Me, I Follow two imams.

Ahmad Bin Hanbal
And Imam Shafii
Um, I've heard that's not allowed, that you have to be consistent. Its because the usool of both mazhabs are different, and so following two different Imaams make for logical inconsistencies and self-contradiction.

Abu Ilyas
11-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Ibn Taymiyah said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (20/211):

Allaah has enjoined upon mankind to obey Him and obey His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but He has not enjoined upon this ummah to obey anyone in particular in all that he enjoins or forbids, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Even the Siddeeq of this ummah and the best of them after its Prophet (i.e., Abu Bakr) said: “Obey me so long as I obey Allaah, but if I disobey Allaah, then you are not obliged to obey me.” They are all unanimously agreed that there is no one who is infallible in all that he enjoins or forbids except the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Hence more than one of the imams said: The words of any person may be adopted or abandoned except the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

*Maysun
11-15-2008, 11:33 PM
^^Subhana'Allah brother Faye, who said That you are not Allowed to follow 2 imams.. The 4 imams have same hadiths but just in different Tafseer. So Basically i choosed two instead
one since all of them are right anyways And Allah knows best!

BlissfullyJaded
11-16-2008, 12:40 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by yasin ibn Ahmad
What does desi mean?:confused:
It's a term used for people from India / Pakistan / Bangladesh. They all tend to be Hanafi.

And chances are the ones who aren't Hanafi, don't follow a madhab so that's why they didn't vote. I'd have expected a few Shafii's though.

If the common person doesn't have a madhab, and he blindly follows his sheikh, I'm pretty certain a sheikh won't follow two imaams. They follow one, so I am not sure how some follow two imaams. That opens a lot of leeway to loopholes. Just sayin...

'Abd al-Baari
11-16-2008, 01:26 AM

I've heard that the majority of scholars do not suggest/approve of the layman following two madhaabs, because it can lead to the person following the rulings of one madhab when it suits his needs, and the other in different situations.

Allah knows best.

BlissfullyJaded
11-16-2008, 04:16 AM

^ That's what I remember as well. Jazakallah khair for phrasing it perfectly. :thumbs_up

Olive
11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Baari

I've heard that the majority of scholars do not suggest/approve of the layman following two madhaabs, because it can lead to the person following the rulings of one madhab when it suits his needs, and the other in different situations.

Allah knows best.

MashaAllah, well said. :)

Aqeel Ahmed
12-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't recognize any of those imams . Where do they pray/and live?

Umar001
12-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem,

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

I'm still confused as to what people mean when they say they follow a madhhab?

For example, when you have a problem you go read the books of the scholars of the hanafi madhhab, search for the answer and done? I didn't think most lay people had enough knowledge and time to do that.

I personally when I have an issue ask a person of knowledge who is trustworthy, regardless of whether he is Shafi'i Hanafi Hanbalee or Maliki. I don't really go round saying, "Salam Alaykum Imam, I have a question, but first tell me are you Malaki?" Otherwise I may not get the answers in time.

Asfor the Imams as people themselves and not their madhhab, I wanted to be like Imam Abu Hanifa, but when I started learning about the others, well, wow! The more I learn about each the more I love each, right now I think it's joint 1st between Abu Hanifa and Ahmad.

May Allah have mercy upon them all and all those who follow them rightly, and make us amongst those!

Br.al-Habeshi

Al-Hanbali
12-26-2008, 12:22 AM
All of them (rahimahumullaah) ;-) ... in particular, Imam Ahmad.

May Allah have mercy upon them all and all those who follow them rightly, and make us amongst those!
Ameen!!

muslimahCA
12-26-2008, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

I'm still confused as to what people mean when they say they follow a madhhab?

For example, when you have a problem you go read the books of the scholars of the hanafi madhhab, search for the answer and done? I didn't think most lay people had enough knowledge and time to do that.

I personally when I have an issue ask a person of knowledge who is trustworthy, regardless of whether he is Shafi'i Hanafi Hanbalee or Maliki. I don't really go round saying, "Salam Alaykum Imam, I have a question, but first tell me are you Malaki?" Otherwise I may not get the answers in time.

Asfor the Imams as people themselves and not their madhhab, I wanted to be like Imam Abu Hanifa, but when I started learning about the others, well, wow! The more I learn about each the more I love each, right now I think it's joint 1st between Abu Hanifa and Ahmad.

Br.al-Habeshi

Wa alaykuma as salam Wa Rahamatulahi Wa barakatuhu

I am not sure about you but i havent heard of anyone running around to different shuyook asking if they are their hanafi, maliki or hanbali. It would be kinda odd :)

I have taken a class on the four madhabs before and mashAllah, they are all so amazing and have helped our ummah in ways that we cant even grasp. Thats why this is not a popularity contest but these scholars are ways that we can follow the right path of our beloved Prophet Sallahu Alayhi wassalam.

Some may say that us laymen should not be following a madhab but it seems to me we would always be laymen if we didnt.

P.S I am studying right now to follow the shafiee madhab, if anyone knows any good books let me know inshAllah :)

BarakAllahu feekhum

BlissfullyJaded
12-26-2008, 01:01 AM

If you're going to a Sheikh who you know is trustworthy to learn by, chances are you should stick to him and those other Shuyookh whom he is close to. And since they will all be of the same madhab, you wouldn't need to always ask that innit. I don't really see what's the matter with inquiring what their madhab is on the first meeting though.

Umar001
12-26-2008, 01:09 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

If you're going to a Sheikh who you know is trustworthy to learn by, chances are you should stick to him and those other Shuyookh whom he is close to. And since they will all be of the same madhab, you wouldn't need to always ask that innit. I don't really see what's the matter with inquiring what their madhab is on the first meeting though.
Wa 'Alaykum Salaam Wa Rahamtullahi Wa barakatuh,

I don't mean there's something wrong in asking, I don't think there is, I personally like to ask. But what I meant is if I need an answer on something and I claim to be a follower of a madhhab would that mean my answers needs to come only from that madhhab, so that if I only find a teacher from a different madhhab I don't take his answer, due to his being Hanafi and me being Malaki?

Wouldn't make sense?

Br.al-Habeshi

Ummu Sufyaan
12-26-2008, 08:07 AM
i dont follow a particular Imam/mathhab, i follow all of them... as long as i trust the one id be taking a fatwa from, then im not too phased which mathhab they are of...BUT i think the schoalrs who i take my fatwas from, would probablymostly be hanbali, so ill vote for Imam ahmad...

north_malaysian
12-26-2008, 08:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramlah
i dont follow a particular Imam/mathhab, i follow all of them... as long as i trust the one id be taking a fatwa from, then im not too phased which mathhab they are of...BUT i think the schoalrs who i take my fatwas from, would probablymostly be hanbali, so ill vote for Imam ahmad...
I am just the same with you.... as all Muftis in Malaysia follow Shafi'i mazhab ... I'll vote imam Al Shafi'i.

north_malaysian
12-26-2008, 08:21 AM
countries, areas & peoples which mostly follow Shafi'i mazhab:

1) Malaysia
2) Brunei
3) Singapore
4) Indonesia
5) Thailand
6) Myanmar - ethnic Burmese Muslims
7) Cambodia
8) Laos
9) Vietnam
10) the Philippines
11) East Timor
14) Christmas Island (Australia)
15) Cocos Islands (Australia)
16) Sri Lanka
17) Maldives
18) India - State of Kerala
19) Iran - ethnic Kurds
20) Iraq - ethnic Kurds
21) Saudi Arabia - Hijazi Arabs
22) Jordan
23) Palestine
24) Lebanon
25) Syria
26) Turkey - ethnic Kurds
27) Egypt
28) Ethiopia
29) Eritrea
30) Djibouti
31) Somalia
32) Kenya
33) Uganda
34) Tanzania
35) Malawi
36) Mozambique
37) Rwanda
38) Burundi
39) Madagascar
40) Comoros
41) Mayotte
42) South Africa - ethnic Cape Malays

Malaikah
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I think the poll should be asking which madhhab does a person follow, not which imam, simply because the rulings of a madhab are not always the same as the rulings of the imam after whom the madhab is names. That's because many, many scholars have contributed to the madhab, not just the four imams.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad*
Ibn Taymiyah said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (20/211):

Allaah has enjoined upon mankind to obey Him and obey His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but He has not enjoined upon this ummah to obey anyone in particular in all that he enjoins or forbids, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Even the Siddeeq of this ummah and the best of them after its Prophet (i.e., Abu Bakr) said: “Obey me so long as I obey Allaah, but if I disobey Allaah, then you are not obliged to obey me.” They are all unanimously agreed that there is no one who is infallible in all that he enjoins or forbids except the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Hence more than one of the imams said: The words of any person may be adopted or abandoned except the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
Just curious - what point are you trying to make?

Danah
12-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I did not vote because I dont follow any particular one....all of them are trustworthy alhumdulilah. and I dont care about the madhab of the Shiekh I asked as long as he will provide me with the right fatwa.

north_malaysian
12-26-2008, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
I did not vote because I dont follow any particular one....all of them are trustworthy alhumdulilah. and I dont care about the madhab of the Shiekh I asked as long as he will provide me with the right fatwa.
you're sssooooooooooooooooooo right!

I mean, all Imams and their disciples follow Quran and Sunnah, and when they did ijtihad .. whatsoever method they used.....they wont go against the Qur'an and Sunnah...

Plus... no imams ever claimed that the other imams were wrong.. and no imams ever said that only their jurisprudence were right....

Danah
12-26-2008, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Plus... no imams ever claimed that the other imams were wrong.. and no imams ever said that only their jurisprudence were right....
this is an important note.......they all worked to complete each other

Zamtsa
12-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I follow the Ushul of 11 Imams: Imam Malik, Az Zuhri, Al Auza'i, Abu 'Ubaid Qasim bin Salam, Asy Syafi'i, Ishaaq (Az Zahuwiyah) Al Marwazi, Sufyan bin Uyainah, Sufyan Ats Tsauri, Abu Hanifah, Laits bin Sa'ad and Ahmad rahimahullaahu ajma'in.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.