/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the middle of nowhere

Al Qalam
11-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I am a non-muslim, but I'm very interested in learning more about Islam. About three years ago I discovered the Quran while browsing through my local bookstore. I had never read it before, but after the first couple of pages, I was absolutely captivated. I've read the entire Quran about 10 times, now, and I continue to read it on a daily basis, if for nothing more than the great peace and joy its words bring to me like no other book ever has. I am just beginning to study Hadith, so if anyone can recommend good sources, references, books, etc., that would be most helpful. I live on an island in the Pacific, which although well populated is virtually devoid of Muslims. Hence, our local libraries are equally devoid of books relating to Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
11-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Hello Al Qalam,

Welcome to LI! It is a pleasure to have you on board. :)

The fact that you have read the Qur'an 10 times is very impressive! Have you read it in Arabic, or was it a translation?

For a list of suggested reading regarding various aspects of Islam, you can refer to this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...resources.html

You can also find many useful articles and online books. Here are a few useful sites for this:

http://www.islamhouse.com/
http://www.abdurrahman.org/
http://www.kalamullah.com/

I hope you will have en enjoyable and beneficial stay. May Allaah the most Exalted open your heart to Islam, Aameen!

Peace.

جوري
11-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Mash'Allah

:welcome: aboard akhi..

:w:

Danah
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
welcome abroad brother, its really amazing that you read Quran 10 times and have this strong desire to learn more
hopefully you will find what you looking for in LI

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Z-Blade
11-14-2008, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Qalam
I am a non-muslim, but I'm very interested in learning more about Islam. About three years ago I discovered the Quran while browsing through my local bookstore. I had never read it before, but after the first couple of pages, I was absolutely captivated. I've read the entire Quran about 10 times, now, and I continue to read it on a daily basis, if for nothing more than the great peace and joy its words bring to me like no other book ever has. I am just beginning to study Hadith, so if anyone can recommend good sources, references, books, etc., that would be most helpful. I live on an island in the Pacific, which although well populated is virtually devoid of Muslims. Hence, our local libraries are equally devoid of books relating to Islam.
Salam dude! (salam meaning peace :') ),

Welcome to the forums and may Allah guide you to The Truth, Ameen! :') Any questions, ask away!

Peace out.

Al Qalam
11-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Muhammad, for those reference sites. I've read only the English translation of the Quran thus far, but I recently aquired a "Dictionary of the Quran" which carefully explains the meanings of each Arabic word in the Quran. It's slow going, but my understanding of the Quran is deepening by fathoms (and I'm learning some classical Arabic in the process.) I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found the Quran in my lifetime. So many of my friends and neighbors will never get to know its true beauty. Truly, Allah has sealed their hearts.

Al Qalam
11-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Thank you all, Skye, Saya, and Z-blade for your welcome and encouraging words.

noorseeker
11-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Assalamalikum, welcome aboard,

aqsakhan
11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Assalamualaikum wr wb brother hope tht may ALLAH makes the path easy for u and may u gain wht u need ameen

crayon
11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
MashAllah, I know some muslims who haven't even read the quran once, let alone 10 times.

I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.:smile:

Peace

'Abdul Rahmaan
11-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Welcome brother! Glad to have you here. :)

Sahabiyaat
11-14-2008, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Qalam
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found the Quran in my lifetime. So many of my friends and neighbors will never get to know its true beauty. Truly, Allah has sealed their hearts.
wow your agnostic but look how you talk :)

SubhanAllah!, Its amazing! reading the Quran 10 times! Well Done you!, so have you ever thought about studying Islam further?

Pk_#2
11-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello Mr. Pen,

Welcome, stay active and invite others.

aadil77
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Welcome aboard brother:thumbs_up

I'm curious to know what island you're from? lol:D

Olive
11-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Welcome brother!

Wow, it's great to know you've read the entire Qur'an 10 times. Absolutely amazing!

I pray to Allah that he guides you to the straight path. Ameen. :)

nevesirth
11-15-2008, 11:02 AM
welcome

Al Qalam
11-26-2008, 08:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
wow your agnostic but look how you talk :)

SubhanAllah!, Its amazing! reading the Quran 10 times! Well Done you!, so have you ever thought about studying Islam further?
Yes, I have. I am presently reading the nine volume edition of the Al Bukhari Hadith. Absolutely fascinating. There is much to be learned, and I am grateful that my steps were guided to the Quran in the bookstore. So many questions I don't know where to start, but I'm finding that the study of Islam is one of its many rewards.

Al Qalam
11-26-2008, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Welcome aboard brother:thumbs_up

I'm curious to know what island you're from? lol:D
Thank you, Aadil77. I'm on the Island of Kauai in Hawaii. As far as I know, there are no Muslims on this island, but hopefully I can get to the Islamic Center in Honolulu soon with my basket of questions.

Al Qalam
11-26-2008, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
MashAllah, I know some muslims who haven't even read the quran once, let alone 10 times.

I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.:smile:

Peace
Thank you, Crayon.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.