/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Muslims. Do you guys find Quran pronounciation hard?

Eye-OfThe-Storm
11-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Asalamu' Alaykum

A question for any new revert Muslim Brothers and Sisters (or anyone else who wants to comment). I was just wondering if you guys find Quran pronunciation difficult at first and does it get easier?

I am in University and every weekend there is a University Islam class where Muslim students met up to learn Quran, Hadith, listen to guest speakers, etc.

Anyway, I used to attend during my first year, and at the time there was a new Brother, a revert to Islam who had just joined us. He was trying to learn a few Surah's for praying and I remember at the time he was really struggling with the pronunciation.

My coursework got really heavy during second and third year so I stopped attending those meetings. Anyway I dropped by the class last weekend (a year and a half later) and Masha'Allah I was very impressed with the brother. He had reached Surah Al-Haaqa and he was reading very very clearly with good pronunciation. For some dumb reason I thought that reverts to Islam had life long problems with reading Quran since Arabic since it is such a difficult language phonetically.:D

Here is a short clip from that class. I cut the clip down to a minute or so because the rest is just people chatting and stuff and other students reading.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5134680346c05a00/

So all you new Muslim's out there learning Quran. Keep up the hard work.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Strzelecki
11-15-2008, 05:57 AM
I've been Muslim for 18 months and yes, I do.
I'm getting better though. Alhamdulillah.

Eye-OfThe-Storm
11-15-2008, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
I've been Muslim for 18 months and yes, I do.
I'm getting better though. Alhamdulillah.
Keep it up and may Allah make it easier for you.
Amin

_PakistaN_
11-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Guys it takes practise...I was born muslim and now i am 18 years old... About 6 months it was almost impossible for me to read it cause i was too slow...Now Alhamdulillah i read it occassionally and i am getting better

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Ilyas
11-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Keep trying and never give up Insha'Allah. Practice, practice and practice.

kwolney01
11-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I've been Muslim for about 3 months now, but I've read the Quran before I converted. I do think at times it is hard mainly because I am a English speaker. It does get a lot easier in time though. All I can say is practice, practice, and more practice.

Argamemnon
11-15-2008, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
I've been Muslim for about 3 months now, but I've read the Quran before I converted. I do think at times it is hard mainly because I am a English speaker. It does get a lot easier in time though. All I can say is practice, practice, and more practice.
What good is it to read the Quran in Arabic without understanding it? Reading in your own language is far more important. If you can actually learn Arabic that would be great of course.

Khalil_Allah
11-16-2008, 04:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
What good is it to read the Quran in Arabic without understanding it? Reading in your own language is far more important. If you can actually learn Arabic that would be great of course.
you are reciting the words of Allah swt! That is good enough!

But I understand what you are saying about understanding. That is hugely important.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-16-2008, 05:12 AM
:sl:

Glad tidings from the Messenger of Allaah (salalahu alayhi wa sallam) for those who have difficulty in reciting the Qur'aan yet still put the effort into it: It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that the Prophet (salalahu alayhi wa sallam) said:
“The one who recites the Qur’an and learns it by heart, will be with the noble righteous scribes (in Heaven). And, whoever exerts himself to learn the Qur’an by heart and recites it with great difficulty, will have a double reward.
al-Bukhari

Intisar
11-16-2008, 05:56 AM
:sl: Alhamdulilah it's very easy for me since my mother tongue is close to Arabic, and the letters are pretty much the same.

For others who don't speak Arabic or any other languages close to it it's very difficult because you have to adjust your mouth and certain parts of it to the sounds of certain letters. But keep on practising and inshaa'Allaah it should get easier. :)

*Yasmin*
12-04-2008, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:sl:
For others who don't speak Arabic or any other languages close to it it's very difficult because you have to adjust your mouth and certain parts of it to the sounds of certain letters. But keep on practising and inshaa'Allaah it should get easier. :)
maybe it's weird to hear,but not just others who don't speak arabic have a difficulties in pronounciation the Quran even Arabs which arabic their main language sometimes struggle with that

i used to attend the mosque to get tajweed lessons and God knows how many times the teacher corrected me and all my sisters there while reciting.

the solution of this problem is by practicing , listening to Qura' recitation and ask God to facilitate it for you.
and don't give up.

Woodrow
12-04-2008, 05:52 AM
I think it should be mentioned that the tajweed Arabic of the Qur'an is the only Arabic pronounced the same throughout the world. In my cae I feel it was a mistake to learn spoken Arabic before studying tajweed. I am having a very difficult time in pronouncing the words properly. I keep trying to pronounce them as I learned to pronounce the spoken Arabic of Morocco.

Umar001
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem,

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

It really depends on the person and his/her background. For me, since I come from a country in East Africa, we have similar sounds, and thus I did not find it too hard to understand the pronounciation of letters like 'ain and qaaf.

What I do still find very hard is getting my tongue around words, I remember trying to read this verse;

الَّذِي أَنقَضَ ظَهْرَكَ

But now, after much practice it rolls off my tongue.

Sometimes brothers who have been brought up in countries which do not have similar sounds, then although they have been brought up Muslims, have gone madrasahs, they will not be able to say some letters, due to the teachers not teaching them, subhanAllah.

I think the more you practice, in general, the easier it gets.

Br.al-Habeshi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.