/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some clarification on 'salvation,' please.

whytepizza
11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Ok, I am not Muslim but i want to learn and clarfiy a few things. Partly, because i have been ignorant of the answers for a long time and partly because i have many friends as Mulsim who i want to share an understanding with.
I was curious about the idea of salvation within Islam. For Christians i know they view Jesus as the Messiah come to save humanity and remove all sins. With Judaism i know they are still waiting for their Messiah. With Islam i know that the prophet Muhammed (SAWS) wrote the words of God down to complete and be completely 'true' without human error.
Here is where i get a little comfused, and please, i mean no offence i am just trying to understand. I compare with Christianity and Judaism only because of its similar beginnings to Islam. With Christianity they believe Christ was God (I know tehre is a whole Trinity debate, yada yada) who came to save the world. The Jews believe that their 'savior' who is still to come will be God. Within Islam it was the prophet Muhammed (SAWS) who spoke and brought the way of salvation.
Now, is is a belief within Islam that the prophet, who was a man, brought salvation or that he brought only the words to which salvation can be obtained? I don't quite understand how a man can bring salvation to another man. I do understand that the prophet Muhammed (SAWS) was not the author of the Qur'an, and that God was, but not everything the prophet Muhammed (SAWS) taught was written.
Based on the Shahaadat the prophet Muhammed (SAWS) was a messenger of God. With that said, how is salvation obtained according to Islam? I'm just a little confused because i am from a Christian backround where it is stated, "Bismi l-Ābi wa l-Ibni wa r-Rūḥi l-Qudus al-Ilāhu l-Wāḥid." So, please forgive me if i seem a little narrow minded when asking this, i truely am just looking for some clarification.
Thank you, in advance, for any and all help regarding my question!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NYCmuslim
11-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Peace whytepizza,

The prophet (pbuh) did not bring salvation to man but relayed the guidance to help us achieve salvation (The Quran).

The answer to how salvation can be achieved in Islam is very simple:
-Submit in peace to the Almighty Single Creator.
-In doing so, serve Him by serving the creation. Help humanity achieve peace on earth in any way you can. Struggle in His cause through your knowledge, compassion, and wealth. Create unity among mankind.
-Doing the above will help purify your soul and bring you closer to God and His everlasting reward.

"Salvation" has to be worked for. It is not something that we wait patiently for by doing nothing.

I wish I could give you a more detailed answer but time is limited to me. I hope this gives you a base understanding

Peace
:w:

Roxy8491
11-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Muslims believe the way to salvation is to worship and devote yourself to God alone. Muhammad was only a messenger - the last messenger and the best example for mankind - but not a savior. The salvation is in the message not the messenger.

Follower
11-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Mohammad was a sinner though like everyone of us. Not an example for mankind but an example of mankind.

YUSUFALI: Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe: for Allah knows how ye move about and how ye dwell in your homes.
PICKTHAL: So know (O Muhammad) that there is no Allah save Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy sin and for believing men and believing women. Allah knoweth (both) your place of turmoil and your place of rest.
SHAKIR: So know that there is no god but Allah, and, ask protection for your fault and for the believing men and the believing women; and Allah knows the place of your returning and the place of your abiding.

We know that Jesus is with GOD.

YUSUFALI: Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.
PICKTHAL: (And remember) when Allah said: O Jesus! Lo! I am gathering thee and causing thee to ascend unto Me, and am cleansing thee of those who disbelieve and am setting those who follow thee above those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then unto Me ye will (all) return, and I shall judge between you as to that wherein ye used to differ.
SHAKIR: And when Allah said: O Isa, I am going to terminate the period of your stay (on earth) and cause you to ascend unto Me and purify you of those who disbelieve and make those who follow you above those who disbelieve to the day of resurrection; then to Me shall be your return, so l will decide between you concerning that in which you differed.

In the Quran Jesus is mentioned to be the Messiah, His WORD and born of a virgin.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.