/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reward in the afterlife?

Confused0122
11-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu fellow brothers and sisters,
I have come across certain Hadiths, such as Sahih Bukhari, in which men are promised two wives from among the hur al ayn, or "maidens" of paradise.. In Tirmidhi, however, he has been reported to have said that men will be given tents which are 30 miles or 60 miles in radius, in which there will be hur in every corner for the men: (Verily, in Paradise, the believer will have a tent from a hollow pearl, the width thereof is sixty miles. In each corner of it there are wives for the believer that do not see the other wives, and the believer will visit them all. In another narration the Prophet said that this tent is thirty miles wide. Muslim recorded this Hadith and in his narration, the Prophet said, Verily in Paradise, the believer will have a tent made of a hollow pearl the length thereof being sixty miles. In it, the believer will have wives who do not see each other, and the believer will visit them all. Allah the Exalted said, Whom never were deflowered by a human before nor Jinn"... http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...k=view&id=1515

My questions consist of:
a) Which hadith is correct, since both are authentic sources?
b) If modesty is emphasized in this world, why are women used as a means of promoting jannah? What makes it different from women being objectified nowadays?
c) If men and women are basically on equal grounds, except for men having a degree of advantage as they can work strenuously and support the family, which by the way no longer applies since more and more women are supporting themselves as time progresses, then why are men rewarded with females in jannah and women aren't?
d) Isn't meeting Allah s.w.t. the greatest reward anyway?

Jazak Allah. Getting some answers will greatly be appreciated.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-18-2008, 12:14 AM
:sl:

I am not a scholar and don't want to innovate.
my understanding of the Arabic 'Hoor 'ayn' is those with big lustrous eyes, doesn't really specify gender.. some believe that there are both male and female 'hoor 'Ayn'..

there are ahadith that state, in paradise there is that which no eyes have seen, nor ears heard, nor occured to the heart of mortals.. it is best to not try to imagine something beyond our imagination.. indeed meeting with Allah swt is the greatest reward..

of course somethings of paradise are mentioned, and those are the things most desired by people in this life.. I doubt it will be a sliver of what paradise actually is.. according to suret al wa'qi3a will be a different creation all together...
since we can understand the first creation, surely can we understand that there will be another creation..

pls forgive me if I have given wrong info, but this is my own understanding

wa jazaka Allah khyran

:w:

Confused0122
11-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Thank you for your endeavor in the path of Allah s.w.t. Inshallah you will be rewarded for taking time out of your day and trying to help a fellow muslim. I have been told that the hur al ayn have both genders as well, even Dr. Zakir Naik says so, but it seems as though in most Islamic books, the word hur is translated as maiden whereas Dr. Naik says it simply means "Companion." I would appreciate other opinions on this matter as well. Thank you..

جوري
11-18-2008, 12:34 AM
akhi, insha'Allah someone more knowledgeable than me will answer your queries but may I add that Arabic is my mother tongue and حور =hoor, neither means maiden nor companion

here is the dictionary definition from sakhr

حَوَر اســــــــــــم شِدَّة بَيَاض الْبَيَاض فِي الْعَيْن مَعَ شِدَّة سَوَاد السَّوَاد
contrast between white and black , intense whiteness and blackness

http://dictionary.sakhr.com/idrisidi...&Sub=%cd%e6%d1

it gives no gender basically stating those whose eyes are intensely dark with intensely white i.e denoting contrast to the scleral part..

I hope that helps insha'Allah?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Confused0122
11-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Thank you sister. You're right that the word in itself gives no gender but in the Quran it says "maidens," for example in Surah Ar-Rahman.. Thank you so much for your help =)

جوري
11-18-2008, 01:31 AM

in suret Ar'ra7man
Allah swt says

hoor maqsoraat bel'khyam..
which denotes again 'those whose eyes are intensely dark' in pavilions..

again no mention of gender!

YusufNoor
11-18-2008, 01:40 AM
wa alaikum Assalamu wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu,

My questions consist of:

i do not know..

b) If modesty is emphasized in this world, why are women used as a means of promoting jannah? What makes it different from women being objectified nowadays?

i see it as [as opposed to something a Sheikh said], as Allah[swt] understanding men better than we do!

c) If men and women are basically on equal grounds, except for men having a degree of advantage as they can work strenuously and support the family, which by the way no longer applies since more and more women are supporting themselves as time progresses, then why are men rewarded with females in jannah and women aren't?

after listening to a lecture by Mufti Ismail Menk regarding women, it seems to me that men and women ARE different! men are made from dust to which water was added. so we are composed of dirt...basically, right? we tend to be somewhat logic driven and less emotional.

women, however, were created from a living being, Adam! as a result, they are MUCH MORE merciful then men! their emotions are on a higher level than that of men. even today, the revert level amongst women is much higher than that of men.

women have more heart and perhaps men need the "carrot and stick approach a bit more!?

ABSOLUTELY! In Sha'a Allah!
i'm a wee bit under the weather, so i apologize for the brevity.

جوري
11-18-2008, 01:41 AM
you'll find even that pickthal gives no gender

حُورٌ مَّقْصُورَاتٌ فِي الْخِيَامِ {72}
[Pickthal 55:72] Fair ones, close-guarded in pavilions -

Either way.. I am not sure what it is bad, that there are Hoor Ain in Janna of whatever gender....

I personally beyond meeting with all my loved ones who were committed to the ground,--whose absence tortures me, and the thought of seeing them again even for a second brings me peace, look forward to that which is unlike anything on this earth....

I know this is probably tangential but I did this mock study on the forum, to see if one could have eternal life here on earth through some science, and you'd be surprised how many Muslims, have this desire for immoortality

the average man over his life time seeks how many wives or girlfriends? why is having lovers in paradise a bad thing?

Have a look

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...nt-please.html

MSalman
11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
As-Salamu 'Alaykum

Bismillah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem

We always have to go back to the basics when dealing with these issues: Jannah is place of eternal pleasure. Sister above me already posed this question and i'm just going to re-word it: why is there a problem to have wives in the Jannah when we've them in this world? The males and females both will have companions in the Jannah, meaning they'll be married to each other.

Shaykh Muhammad Salih al-Munajjid (May Allah preserve him) says:
One of the best things that people long for in the Hereafter is, for men, the women of Paradise, namely al-hoor al-'iyn, and for women there is an equivalent delight. By His great wisdom, Allaah has not mentioned what the women will have as the equivalent of al-hoor al-'iyn for men, and that is due to modesty and shyness. How can He encourage them to seek Paradise by mentioning something that they are too shy and modest to mention or speak about themselves? So He has simply hinted at it, as in the verse (interpretation of the meaning): "Therein you shall have (all) that your inner‑selves desire" [Fussilat 41:31-32]

Source

respected sister, the companionship is pleasing to humans when it is allowed in this world why wouldn't it be in the next world? Remember that the believers will be married to their companions, it is not like fornication as you may think. Also, go back to the basics and remember that the believers will be rewarded for their steadfast and hardship in this world. check this out, Why are some things forbidden in this world when they are permitted in Paradise?

sister, it seems you misunderstood this Sharee'ah ruling a bit. The men are better than women as they are the the leaders of their households. It is obligatory upon them to spend on their family. The women are not responsible to spend on their families even if they earn; they can if they want to. The fact that now days more women work as a result creating lots of fitnah doesn't change the fact that only men are obliged to spend on their families and only women are obliged to look after their house and raising children. This is the Sharee'ah ruling and it is absolute till the day of judgment.

Wallahu A'lam

Confused0122
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Assalamu alaikum..
I'm not saying there is or isn't anything wrong with it.. I'm just asking.. Anyhow, it's this whole concept of polygamy that I don't understand. In this world men could have more than one wife because the women can't support themselves and either have their husbands die in war or something of the like.. That doesn't really occur nowadays because women earn a living and can support themselves without men. Anyway, you ask why it's wrong to have wives in jannah if you can have them in this world? I'm not saying that men shouldnt in jannah, I was just wondering if they would live with their wives from this world or if theyre given different women.. It's not stated clearly so I'm not sure about what happens to the people of this world if men are given hur al ayn. I know it's not fornication because they are married to each other, I understand that.. WHat I don't understand is why men are given more than one woman, while the women have to stay with one man..

Confused0122
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Also, if it's justified by the fact that men face hardships throughout their lives, then so do women. Women carry babies in their womb for nine months, give birth, and raise their children while still being obligated to fast/worship.. Men don't do any of this and neither do they wear hijab so I believe that women, if not more, suffer equally as men do.. I'm not fighting here with G-d or anything but I'm just trying to clear things up but when people say that it's okay for men to be rewarded with women because they try hard to lower their gaze in this world, it annoys me. Women do the same thing, it's not like only men control themselves.. Women actually have to take the initiative and wear hijab and long clothing in the hot weather while men walk around in whatever they want just as long as theyre covered from the navel to the knees. I believe women endure more than men so it's not logical to say that men deserve to have an infinite number of women just because they had to stay away from fornication in this world. Thank you.

- Qatada -
11-23-2008, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Confused0122
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu fellow brothers and sisters,
:wasalamex

My questions consist of:
Both can be correct, it may be differing sizes of tents etc for people of different ranks in jannah. I.e. higher ranked people may have bigger palaces etc.

Simply because men are allured by women alot, and if one wants a good looking girl in this life in a haraam way - he may resist her simply because he expects something more beautiful in the afterlife. There are authentic ahadith which state that the greatest fitnah [trial] for men is women.

Its a mans duty to earn for the women, the woman if she works in a halal way can keep her own money. That verse emphasises this.

Anyway to answer the Q, like the people have said above - women may have some too. However Allah may not inform of it due to shyness of women (i can even imagine anti islamic people saying that women are hungry for guys and they will be rewarded with them in jannah if there were such verses in the Qur'an - so Allah preserves their honor this way by remaining silent on that issue but hinting that people can have all 'that they desire' in paradise.) There are many rewards which aren't mentioned in the texts but will be in jannah..

yeh it is, :) here's a really good short video on that topic;

a meeting with Allah;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBX2TvfyQE

Jazak Allah. Getting some answers will greatly be appreciated.
may Allah reward you with jannah, and us all. ameen.

Confused0122
11-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Thank you brother.. I appreciate it.. May Allah s.w.t. bless you with a great life in this world and the next =)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.