/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Internet confusion

anonymous
11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I am experiencing a problem. This might sound totally weird.

I have been trying to reduce my time on the net lately, to get on with other things, but I find it so hard. I've made certain friends online, and have a certain view towards an online life, that when I be absent from them and the forums/general-net activities itself, I feel:

- Sad
- Like I don't talk to intellectual and spiritual minded people anymore
- They will forget me
- What if I don't achieve my goals in the real world, would sticking to socializing online been better?

Is this internet addiction?

One last thing, honestly, when people on the net portray a certain kind of personality out of themselves, sometimes you get 'hooked' to that person and feel the need to talk to him/her. I know I have...and I try telling myself I don't really know that person's full life apart from what he/she is showing to be on the net.

Example: I know a non-Muslim guy with whom it's already been a year that he's learning Islam. He has an impish side to him from what I heard and saw before I actually got to know him. When I started to talk to him what he presented was a side which he at least claims to be his true side...it appears good. From then on, we talked a lot and it was okay, until I started to grow a suspicion about him. Especially when on the one hand he says 'a woman for me is not about looks but personality', and on the other hand he has inclination toward any girl of which pics he saw and thinks they're hot. That's just one of the instances, there's many more things which spark curiosity or suspicion. I know suspicion is bad. But there you go.

I need advice. I need to be able to see the goodness in the real world again, just like I used to. I don't want to walk down the street to the grocer's and feel miserable in my surroundings, due to the void I'm feeling of not being on the net to talk to people I presume are cool to hang out with.

Am I speculating, or are they really worth more the time than what is available in the real life?

Thank you for listening.

Tia.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.