/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Getting over something

livanae
11-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Hello,

From what I've learned about Islam in my experiences thus far, I find that it promotes ways of overcoming a weakness or bad habit. Some work successfully, from what I've seen.

However, when it comes to the issue of being in love, and trying to fall out of love, I admit it's a hard phase.

I've noticed several times that Muslims advice people to seek refuge in God, and carry through certain assignments pertaining to faith, in order to overcome the weakness of being drawn to somebody you're in love with. Even this is hard to do - so does Islam admit love could be more a stronger aspect of existence than anything else?

Why does Islam advice on love matters in such a way, what are the potential successes?

Last but not least, according to Islam, what is love?

Many thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Greetings and peace be with you livanae; welcome to the forum, I hope you find some answers to your questions, love is a profound topic.

In the spirit of searching for a just and loving God

Eric.

livanae
11-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Greetings of peace and thank you Eric for your warm welcome.

I am looking forward to replies, insofar the topic seems to be hammering down the list... so if people can storm up their views on this, it'll be much appreciated.

Livanae

Namtes
11-20-2008, 07:39 AM
If one is in love with someone, then the safest route is to get married. This would allow the love to blossom and in effect help the couple in their Islam.

However, sometimes the love cannot turn into marriage due to many reasons, and this is where problems arise and can lead down the wrong path. The best advice is to occupy yourself with Islam. Fear God and avoid meeting this person, talking with them, etc. and soon you will find that you are no longer "addicted" to them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
11-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Most of the answers are in here :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...what-love.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...fiqh-love.html

livanae
11-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Peace,

Thanks for the links. The latter was insofar a good read. Once I've read all of it, I can forward any questions or thoughts :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Namtes
If one is in love with someone, then the safest route is to get married. This would allow the love to blossom and in effect help the couple in their Islam.

However, sometimes the love cannot turn into marriage due to many reasons, and this is where problems arise and can lead down the wrong path. The best advice is to occupy yourself with Islam. Fear God and avoid meeting this person, talking with them, etc. and soon you will find that you are no longer "addicted" to them.
Namtes,

Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

I strongly believe marriage is a wonderful foundation in celebrating the love between a couple. It, furthermore, reinforces the importance of rights and responsibilities as well as personal desires fulfilled that could not have otherwise been safely executed outside this foundation.

Having said that, what does love actually mean? Does it merely depend on a romantic episode, or purely on emotions - or does it go further than that? Does love just happen, or do we choose who we fall in love with?

Secondly, what you're suggested is a rebound method of falling out of love with a person. I'd like to know, how fear in God and distance between couples, helps reduce feelings?

Thank you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!