/* */

PDA

View Full Version : dowry/dahej in marriage

innocent
11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
What does islam say about brides family giving dahej or dowry to the grooms family. Is this just a cultural tradition or is it in Quran + Hadith?
Jazakallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Olive
11-19-2008, 07:04 PM
:sl:

As far as I know, the bride does not give mahar to the groom. It's the other way round. :)

If I'm incorrect, please correct me someone.

:w:

Periwinkle18
11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
all i know tht giving dahej is not proven by hadith, but ppl here ask for it n if the bride's family doesn't give it then shes doomed.Its a big prob here.

Afraa
11-19-2008, 11:42 PM
In my Culture the mahar/ dowry come from the grooms side.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
11-20-2008, 01:45 AM
thats a hindu tradition

islamirama
11-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Bride family gives the groom side maher plus everything their daughter will need if she had her own house. The grooms are very greedy losers as well demanding cars, houses, and what not. This is a sick hindu tradition the pakis have adopted. Many of the paki culture and tradition is hindu based, making one how much of Islam do they really follow vs the hindu ways.

In arab culture, the groom side gives the bride drowry. Even this is pathetic since some greedy arab women (like in UAE) demand so much that the poor guy as to work and safe for 2 yrs before ever getting married.

I believe as far as Islam is concerned, the groom owes the bride a Mahr (gift). She can demand as much as she likes (thus explains the greedy UAE girls), it is like an insurance that she can live on in case the marriage fails. Some dillusional girls ask for some dates, a hug or some other stupid and silly stuff and if marraige fails then they are up the creek without a paddle.

Mahr (gift) and dowry are two different things. Gift from groom to bride is obligatory in Islam, dowry is part of hindu tradition. It's such a distructive and pathetic practice that the poor have found the means to fight it with the help of the internet. First they were forced to pay if they wanted their daughter married (in india) now they post online at matrimonial sites and put it in caps "NO DOWRY". Some girls have even brave enough to turn over the groom wana be to the police for demanding it and putting pressure on the girl's family to call off the marriage if not paid.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.