/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stupidification

Confucius
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Asalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I came across this video lecture and its amaaazing how accurate this guys portrayal of the education system is...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

...so whats your say?

....I'm thinking homeschooling. lol

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
i think school stupidifies children and limits their understanding and intellectual capacity by entrapping them in the framework of the national curriculum

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nuj
i think school stupidifies children and limits their understanding and intellectual capacity by entrapping them in the framework of the national curriculum
Yep, everyone ends up just learning for Exams - nothing else...

:w:

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:10 PM
:sl:

Only downside to homeschooling is your kids' social life. They may never know what it feels like to have a 'my school friend' if you know what I mean. :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
its quite sad how....the population is increasing at a crazy rate...yet the schooling system is getting poorer and poorer....and children are underachieving at a crazy rate.

i was reading once how these two men they home schooled a kid (John Stuart
Mill) and by the age of 3 he could speak and read greek....by like 5 he had read the dialogues of plato in greek.... and he did some other pretty cool stuff ...that's cos they fore went the education system and taught the child according to their theory's...

...mind you...the kid had a mental break down aged 18...so...uh im not suggesting that we do something extreme....and im not supporting the so called philosophers...

just exploring possibilities.

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:15 PM

I guess I agree with you... You'd rather have your kids at home rather than at school where they could be doing anything...

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hanz

I guess I agree with you... You'd rather have your kids at home rather than at school where they could be doing anything...

i dont think homeschooling means no social life.

far from it....its what were bought up to believe because society at large is brainwashed by the schooling system so homeschooling is portrayed as archaic...if not oppressive.

Umm Hurairah
11-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Asalaamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu,

Jizakillahu Khairan for posting the link sis. I feel very fortunate to have been homeschooled Alhamdulillah. :D

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:20 PM
But the child will never go out of his/her house, except on weekends and evenings. I dunno but who'd they have for freinds?

I'm unsure, never experienced homeschooling...

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
But the child will never go out of his/her house, except on weekends and evenings. I dunno but who'd they have for freinds?
lol....who said they wont go out except evenings and week ends??

who made up that rule?

Ansariyah
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I dunno

جوري
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't know that I persoanlly agree with home-schooling among other concerning issues would be social isolation and not everyone ends up a 'John stuart'

I think choosing a top ten school would be a better option.. I have never attended public school myself, and wouldn't want to subject any kid to it.. but I am not so sure learning at home is best-- there is much to be gained from human interactions good or bad!..

Just my opinion and Allah swt knows best

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
@ nuj: Lol, I have no idea how homeschooling works! :D

@ Alpha: Of course bro! :D

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
I don't know that I persoanlly agree with home-schooling among other concerning issues would be social isolation and not everyone ends up a 'John stuart'

I think choosing a top ten school would be a better option.. I have never attended public school myself, and wouldn't want to subject any kid to it.. but I am not so sure learning at home is best..

with private schooling....maybe its a step up...but thats all it is...my sister teaches in a private school...and its a muslim one...and the fact is the kids are just taught better....but the national curriculum is the main objective and training the kids to pass exams.

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Psst! Can someone explain to me how homeschooling works! :D

(At the moment, I'm getting everything wrong! :p)

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
hey i made up a new word...maybe its not new but ive never heard it myself... umm so..it goes like this;

Stupidification; A process whereby one is systematically stupidified under the influence of the national curriculum.

i think it shud go in the dictionary. hehe.

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:30 PM

(At the moment, I'm getting everything wrong! :p)
lol...basically you teach the child yourself...but you need to also fulfill the..wait for it...objectives of the national curriculum!

Professor Mortimer J Adler...check him out he has some pretty cool ideas on the schooling system...(hes a philisopher btw...so uh...approach with caution)

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Alright, so the parent teaches the child or someone comes in?

Stupidification; A process whereby one is systematically stupidified under the influence of the national curriculum.
Hehe! Masha'Allah, that's a good one! :D

جوري
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
with private schooling....maybe its a step up...but thats all it is...my sister teaches in a private school...and its a muslim one...and the fact is the kids are just taught better....but the national curriculum is the main objective and training the kids to pass exams.
The national curriculum would be the same objective even at home, they will give you the same books everyone else has and expect that your kids learn them and sit for the exams everyone else is taking..

the subjects taught are appropriate for age and anecessary foundation for the future.. having interest in learning is a personal matter, the same as with religion, no one can spark that interest in you if you aren't willing to accept it or cultivate it.. and that will be the same whether you are teaching or Dr. mary is teaching them...

It is a three way stream, the school/teachers part, the parents part at home and the child's part.. Home schooling would deprive them of another perspective all together.. plus the social ineptitude and perhaps isolation .. children need to forge friendships to grow..

again just my opinion

and Allah swt knows best

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM

It is a three way stream, the school/teachers part, the parents part at home and the child's part.. Home schooling would deprive them of another perspective all together.. plus the social ineptitude and perhaps isolation .. children need to forge friendships to grow..

again just my opinion

and Allah swt knows best

the isolation factor is just us as people living in the west not being able to think outside of the box.

i really think its a weak argument against homeschooling....as humans we've been blessed with an intellect so inshaAllah we can think outside of that box..?

جوري
11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
the isolation factor is just us as people living in the west not being able to think outside of the box.

i really think its a weak argument against homeschooling....as humans we've been blessed with an intellect so inshaAllah we can think outside of that box..?
I am not sure I understand dear sister?

what good is intellect if you can't cultivate it?
what good is land that is deprived of all elements that make it crop optimally?

also I am not making an opinion for or against, I am merely stating my opinion of why I think home schooling is a bad option..

among many other reasons not mentioned here, is if the mother acts as a teacher, what training does she really have.. will she magically be good at precalculus as she is with english lit, or constantly reach for the teacher's manual for answers?
I have known two home schooled kids who dropped out of college--just not being able to keep up..

Olive
11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
It depends on who teaches you isn't it? I'm assuming some parents get proper teachers in to teach their children at home...

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I am not sure I understand dear sister?

what good is intellect if you can't cultivate it?
what good is land that is deprived of all elements that make it crop optimally?

also I am not making an opinion for or against, I am merely stating my opinion of why I think home schooling is a bad option..

among many other reasons not mentioned here, is if the mother acts as a teacher, what training does she really have.. will she magically be good at precalculus as she is with english lit, or constantly reach for the teacher's manual for answers?
I have known two home schooled kids who dropped out of college--just not being able to keep up..

lol.

i just wanted a discussion....

..hmmm in terms of magically becoming good at so and so there are individuals who have the capacity..(well i believe everyone does) to teach themselves...your never too old to learn!

Anyway obviously homeschooling is an option for those who are capable...im not saying everyone shud do it. lol.

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
It depends on who teaches you isn't it? I'm assuming some parents get proper teachers in to teach their children at home...
yeah....that's another option

i guess i c homeschooling as a way to get the most out of children and to help them flourish...keeping in mind personally i would (and i have) look at the people of our past, our scholars and how they were taught....we cant do it exactly like them but we can take things and imitate and see the way they were trained as children.

alot of them didnt go public school...it was mainly private tuition.

Confucius
11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argumentation is an exchange if ignorance

...hence the discussion...

:)

Umm Hurairah
11-20-2008, 10:03 PM
It depends on the program you follow, and maybe even the country but in the US, you register like in normal school and take a test that contains many questions of different subjects and depending on how well you answer them, the school program places you in a grade and they send you all the books needed for the curriculum, including manuals, workbooks, quizzes etc etc. Your home teacher teaches you depending on the manuals and they can assign you further assignments. If you have any questions, you can call the program or you can chat online. If you want an "experienced" teacher, your hometeacher will teach you At home and then after a certain amount of time, you will take tests and mail them to your teacher. H/She will correct it and mail back the test with your grades. At the end of the school year, you get a certificate indicating you have finished whichever grade you finished.

Again, it depends on the program and grade. Not everyone can homeschool. My parents didn't homeschool my brother because they know that he needs to learn to get along with people of all sorts but that isn't much of a big deal for me.

Confucius
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hurairah

My parents didn't homeschool my brother because they know that he needs to learn to get along with people of all sorts but that isn't much of a big deal for me.
Would have you preferred to have gone to public school?

im curious to know how your experience was....if you don't mind discussing?

Umm Hurairah
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Would have you preferred to have gone to public school?

im curious to know how your experience was....if you don't mind discussing?
To be perfectly honest, I hated the idea when it came up, because I wasn't sure if I could handle my studies. I said I wanted it anyway because some of the sisters I really looked up to did homeschooling. The first year was a bit hard and my father was extremely strict. I had never been close with anyone in my family, but that soon changed as I had to spend time with them a lot. I became really close to my mother and sister and I even started talking normally with my father (a big accomplishment on both our parts Alhamdulillah :D). My public school experience was so bad that most of my personality changed. There were too many racists at my school, which resulted in me never talking to anyone (of course it's as much my fault as theirs).

Because of homeschooling, I have a lot of time to spend on Islam, family matters, and reading. Also, my math improved A LOT, mostly due to the fact that my father teaches university math. :D Homeschooling was a thousand time better for me than public school but I know a sister who quit because she couldn't handle the responsibility. A person has to have a lot of discipline, a good teacher, and a sense of responsibility.

Muezzin
11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I guess as muslims they'd be going to the mosques?
How many (well-behaved) kids hang around the mosques for fun and recreation? :p

After a solid few hours of education, kids don't want more education, they want to play. With other kids.

yeah....that's another option

i guess i c homeschooling as a way to get the most out of children and to help them flourish...keeping in mind personally i would (and i have) look at the people of our past, our scholars and how they were taught....we cant do it exactly like them but we can take things and imitate and see the way they were trained as children.

alot of them didnt go public school...it was mainly private tuition.
What were those public schools like in those times?

As to this whole homeschooling debate: maybe it depends on the child. If the kid's extroverted, you'd harm their personality by keeping them at home, and might foster emnity between the child and the parent/teacher, which is counterproductive to their education.

If the kid's introverted... you'd harm their personality by keeping them at home so they don't really get to interact with other children, and learn social skills.

Okay, they can go out during the working week, but unless it's the same time as schoolkids, they're never going to really learn how to interact with groups of people the same age on a daily basis.

Imagine if you could only physically see your friends during break-time. No working together, or joking around in class with them. You don't see them, you don't hear them, you don't interact with them until break- or home-time. Hmm.

Then again, I went to a public school (in the sense it is not homeschooling, not in the sense that it's all posh and private :p), so I'm biased. But I value all the friends I made from nursery to university, who I probably would not have met had I been homeschooled.

Also - there are financial considerations. If you're willing to pay a large amount of money for a permanent private tutor, you may as well send your child to a private school and get the best of both worlds as it were.

Given that homeschooling also requires children's education to adhere to the framework of the national curriculum, how exactly is homeschooling a solution to that problem?

If the child is struggling with a particular subject at school, by all means hire a private tutor to help them out. I'm not entirely convinced about homeschooling myself - i.e. if I had children, I would not decide homeschooling to be an appropriate option.

I am not begrudging anyone who supports it, or who was educated that way. It's just my personal opinion.

Banu_Hashim
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
lol...basically you teach the child yourself...but you need to also fulfill the..wait for it...objectives of the national curriculum!

Professor Mortimer J Adler...check him out he has some pretty cool ideas on the schooling system...(hes a philisopher btw...so uh...approach with caution)
Where do you take your exams? At home? Your mum could just give you the answers lol...

Or do you go to a centre? (most likely)

Sitara
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM

I think choosing a top ten school would be a better option.. I have never attended public school myself, and wouldn't want to subject any kid to it.. but I am not so sure learning at home is best-- there is much to be gained from human interactions good or bad!..

But I guess :) as long as the kid :rollseyes can't differentiate between good and bad they should be home schooled but when they get the sense and know their dos and don'ts they should be put to face the society in public schools otherwise they could feel themselves misfit in the present society and may develop a phobia from people +o(.

Woodrow
12-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I do not know the percentages, but up here in the rural areas of Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota, home schooling seems to be the norm rather then the exception.

The kids still seem to have well rounded social lives and do interact well. There does not seem to be things like wide spread juvenile delinquency, wide spread teen age pregnancies nor gang related activities. They is limited social contact in the form of sport events like rodeos, hockey, fishing derbies, plus lots of farm chores.

What really surprised me is the kids appear to be well educated.

Home schooling seems to be the way to go, especially if you want to instill family and religious values in the kids.

Muezzin
12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I do not know the percentages, but up here in the rural areas of Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota, home schooling seems to be the norm rather then the exception.

The kids still seem to have well rounded social lives and do interact well. There does not seem to be things like wide spread juvenile delinquency, wide spread teen age pregnancies nor gang related activities. They is limited social contact in the form of sport events like rodeos, hockey, fishing derbies, plus lots of farm chores.

What really surprised me is the kids appear to be well educated.

Home schooling seems to be the way to go, especially if you want to instill family and religious values in the kids.
I think 'norm' is the operative word here.

If the norm is non-home-schooling, I feel negative social effects will manifest for home-schoolers.

Woodrow
12-06-2008, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I think 'norm' is the operative word here.

If the norm is non-home-schooling, I feel negative social effects will manifest for home-schoolers.
That is a strong possibility. Up here home schooling is the norm for the Rural areas. That would make a difference.

Whatsthepoint
12-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Homeschooling is banned in Germany, parents can get into a lot of trouble for doing it.

Olive
12-06-2008, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Homeschooling is banned in Germany, parents can get into a lot of trouble for doing it.
:0

How come? How can homeschooling be against the law lol?

Whatsthepoint
12-06-2008, 05:11 PM
:0

How come? How can homeschooling be against the law lol?
I believe the ban originated in the national socialist era, I'm not sure though.

ayesha309
12-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Personally i would not opt for homeschooling. Perhaps it is becuase of my bias by being educated in a public school. I feel one learns creativity by being in a classroom of different students who think of a concept differently. For instance, the letter "a", to some poeple its a letter in the alphabet, to others its a picture, to others its curvy. My point being that in a school, a child gets exposed to different ways of looking at one thing. Homeschooling, he/she will only learn one perspective, which would perhaps be the same as his/her parents. Furthermore, i agree with bro Muezzin when it comes to scoial life; the friends that i made in elemantary school were with me through out my education, and are perhaps my closest friends.
Lastly, i am doing homeschooling for a lil girl right now, and i feel that she would learn a lot more in a classroom environment then from me. (that could just be becuase im a bad teacher!) but when she grows up and needs to learn calculus and stuff, she would definely (in my opinon) be better off in a public school.
This is my opinion, some may turn out to be quite successful from homeschooling
Yes it is true that chilren learn a lot of wrong (islamically wrong) things in public school which is why i feel a parent should be best friends with their children when they are in school and have a very porper and strong islamic environment at home.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!