/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ucas

AnonymousPoster
11-23-2008, 12:22 AM
i want to ask you guys a questions- i think uk students(university) would maybe give me the answer i'm looking for.
Basically i'm applying to uni next year inshallah and we had to write a personal statement. I was struggling with it for long time, so i looked at the ucas personal statement site to just give me few ideas. I know that we are not allowed to copy stuff from there as the ucas got this system where they check every ps of plagiarism. The thing is i copied like few good sentences from and i changed words around n i know that doesnt make it right and i hate myself for it! I also gave my ps to someone and i'm worried that they may actually copy few sentences from there as why would they want to have a copy of my ps? maybe its for other reasons allahu a'lam. I feel so shy and stupid to ask them and i really dont want to hurt or offend them.
Anywas i tried my best to change those sentences i copied and i sent off my ps yesterday. Since then im so scarred, worried and anxious and as a result of that i cant sleep properly or concentrated.
I'm so worried that the ucas people would find any plaigiarism in my ps. I really dont want to dissapoint my parents, teachers or my career adviser- he told me my ps was one of the best ps he has seen (btw most is not copied at all- honestly) and he will be the first person to know whether i cheated or not!!
What i want to ask is if you guys know of people who have done the same thing and/or how long will it take for ucas to report back to you !:cry:

i dont mind if you guys have a go at me - i already i hate myself and i feel utterly disgusted of what i have done +o(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
11-23-2008, 09:56 AM
:sl:
Good lord. It's just a CV!

You'll be fine. Most universities won't give a monkey's about your cv - it's your grades that are most important.

Olive
11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Ya, Insha'Allah, you'll be okay! :D

AnonymousPoster
11-23-2008, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Good lord. It's just a CV!

You'll be fine. Most universities won't give a monkey's about your cv - it's your grades that are most important.
yh i know that but if the ucas finds any plagiarism they will inform the universities i applied to and it would be their decisions on what they will do. Why would a university offer someone a place if they found the candidate cheating! why would they wanna have someone like that in their instituition. Besides they would think that if that person cheated on their ps they will do the same thing in their course (even thought i will never ever do that again!)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nájlá
11-23-2008, 03:16 PM
well u didnt copy it word to word did you? :p

and most of it is not copied sooo dont worry everything will be fine.

nebula
11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
dont stress, inshallah, i highly doubt that they are gonna check each and every ps for plagarism coz it would take them forever, seeing as there are like load of them coming in. Besides its only a personal statement its not a piece of coursework or something.

i copied 4 peoples english courseworks for my english gcse lol, which was 2 years ago, and my teacher said that they do plagarism checks blah blah but i knew he was just using scare tactics on us. I ended up passing it so dnt worry inshallah everything will be fine. :thumbs_up

AnonymousPoster
11-23-2008, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
well u didnt copy it word to word did you? :p

and most of it is not copied sooo dont worry everything will be fine.
yh but i'm bit worried that the person i gave to my personal statement might actually have copied few sentences word to word

Olive
11-23-2008, 05:20 PM
So tell the person that you're afraid of the plajerism businiess and tell them not to copy ya.

If they haven't, then just say you're scared and you had to ask.

Hope that helped. :)

:w:

جوري
11-24-2008, 06:04 AM
if you have some money try using essayedge.com

if you google I am sure you can come up with a $5-$10 coupon deduction

they will hire an editor to work with you, to translate your words into something more solid and powerful... and show you areas where you have weakness.. you can write a big essay and they will fix syntax and grammar etc, or pay more and you can keep editing your work, tweaking and sending it in for correction..
I'd do it, if it is absolutely crucial.. there is no point in shelling out big bucks for something that really common place and that no one else would read..

I'd save essayedge if you were applying for a very competetive program or for a Job..
otherwise I'd just write four decent pargraphs and run it through windows..

good luck insha'Allah

Banu_Hashim
11-24-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm sure you'll be fine inshAllah. People used the same phrases and words all the time... UCAS can't accuse thousands of people of plagiarism, which it isn't really. As long as you reworded whatever it is you used to express why YOU want to study your course, it's fine.

Good luck with your application.

Banu_Hashim
11-24-2008, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine

they will hire an editor to work with you, to translate your words into something more solid and powerful... and show you areas where you have weakness.. you can write a big essay and they will fix syntax and grammar etc, or pay more and you can keep editing your work, tweaking and sending it in for correction..
I'd do it, if it is absolutely crucial.. there is no point in shelling out big bucks for something that really common place and that no one else would read..

I'd save essayedge if you were applying for a very competetive program or for a Job..

good luck insha'Allah

By the way, this is advice from a former head of admissions, at Queen Mary's, University of London:

" The PS is supposed to be about YOU, written by YOU, edited by YOU, submitted by YOU. It's through writing and rewriting your PS over and over again that you will focus on why you want to do your course. Why you REALLY want to do your course. This is going to serve you well in interview - because if you can't answer that convincingly you won't get an offer. By convincingly I mean not peddling the same old crap everyone says "I like science and ... " etc.

Besides which, admissions tutors are not stupid. They can tell when someone else has written or influenced a PS, because I guarantee you that what they come up with will not sound the same as what most 17/18 year olds will write. I have read several PSs this week and I know which ones have been partially written by a relative/friend/teacher.

They can't necessarily penalise you for that because it's impossible to prove BUT what happens is that these PSs sound wooden and unspontaneous - they lack passion or interest, 'something from the heart' because the people that think they know what a PS should look like tend to eliminate all the stuff that looks like it was written by an 18 year old. And yet this is what tutors look for - individuality, something personal, something genuine.

Just don't do it. Save your 80 quid and buy something nice with it instead. "

AnonymousPoster
11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hanz
So tell the person that you're afraid of the plajerism businiess and tell them not to copy ya.

If they haven't, then just say you're scared and you had to ask.

Hope that helped. :)

we both have already sent of our ucas application -its too late now and i dont think i will ever get an honest answer anyway :exhausted

AnonymousPoster
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM

good luck insha'Allah

thanks for trying to help but its too late nowimsad

AnonymousPoster
11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
dont stress, inshallah, i highly doubt that they are gonna check each and every ps for plagarism coz it would take them forever, seeing as there are like load of them coming in. Besides its only a personal statement its not a piece of coursework or something.

i copied 4 peoples english courseworks for my english gcse lol, which was 2 years ago, and my teacher said that they do plagarism checks blah blah but i knew he was just using scare tactics on us. I ended up passing it so dnt worry inshallah everything will be fine. :thumbs_up
yh bro but this is different to coursework. I remember how teachers used to tell us that the examboard would check on plagarism but none of us didnt really care.
The ucas are really strict on plagiarsm. They dont as individual check every personal statement but they just use this system called 'copycatch' where it identify statements that show similarity, quantify the suspect material and report the findings.

Here is what they say about the system:
What the Similarity Detection Service does
The personal statement in each incoming application is checked against a library of all personal statements previously submitted to UCAS and sample statements collected from a variety of web sites and other sources including paper publications. Each personal statement received at UCAS is added to the library of statements after it has been processed.

Any statements showing a level of similarity of 10% or greater will be reviewed by members of the UCAS Similarity Detection Service team. HEIs will be notified on a daily basis of any cases where there are reasonable grounds for suspicion. Applicants will also be notified that the UCAS Similarity Detection service has found that their personal statement merits investigation. The decision about what action, if any, to take regarding notified cases rests with the admissions tutors at individual HEIs.

The Copycatch process ignores 450 commonly used words that many applicants almost inevitably use in their statements such as 'and', 'so' and 'with', and also ignores a selection of commonly used words and phrases including 'Duke of Edinburgh' and 'football'.

AnonymousPoster
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
I'm sure you'll be fine inshAllah. People used the same phrases and words all the time... UCAS can't accuse thousands of people of plagiarism, which it isn't really. As long as you reworded whatever it is you used to express why YOU want to study your course, it's fine.

I have tried to change the words as much as i can and i didn't think anyone would have suspected that i might have copied until i saw this in their website:

Notification that a report has been sent to HEIs

If Copycatch identifies a significant level of similarity in your personal statement and the Verification staff decide to inform the HEIs you have applied to, you will be notified by email, if you have a verified email address. This email will include instructions explaining how you can view the output of the detection program by using Track, including access to a frequently asked questions (FAQ) section giving advice and guidance.

The report sent to you is identical to the report sent to the institution. It will display your personal statement marked up to identify sentences similar to others in the Copycatch system. We use four colours (see below) to indicate significant matches with other statements and grey to show sentences which have not been found to match.

Within matched sentences, words in your sentence which are different from the one matched with it by the program are highlighted in black. Underlined black

What the sentence colours mean
Red is used for the sentences from the most matched statement.
Blue is used for the next best match if there are least 3 sentences.
Pink is used for the third best match if there are at least another 3 sentences.
Brown is used for any other matches if there are at least 3 sentences.

Grey is used for sentences for which no match has been found in the indexes and for very short sentences which don't get checked.

Examples

I grew up in a city near the sea and have always been fascinated by marine life.

If you had written this sentence and found it shown in red like the above when you checked the notification report, it would mean that it had been exactly matched to a personal statement stored in the Copycatch library.

I grew up in a town near the sea and have always found marine life fascinating.

If you had written the first sentence and found it reported like that immediately above, it would mean that the word town was not in the matched sentence, nor was the word found. The word fascinating was not found as an exact match but is sufficiently similar to the equivalent word in the matched sentence to be identified by underlining. The blue colour also shows you that the match was found in the second most matched statement.

AnonymousPoster
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM

I have tried to change the words as much as i can and i didn't think anyone would have suspected that i might have copied until i saw this in their website:

Notification that a report has been sent to HEIs

If Copycatch identifies a significant level of similarity in your personal statement and the Verification staff decide to inform the HEIs you have applied to, you will be notified by email, if you have a verified email address. This email will include instructions explaining how you can view the output of the detection program by using Track, including access to a frequently asked questions (FAQ) section giving advice and guidance.

The report sent to you is identical to the report sent to the institution. It will display your personal statement marked up to identify sentences similar to others in the Copycatch system. We use four colours (see below) to indicate significant matches with other statements and grey to show sentences which have not been found to match.

Within matched sentences, words in your sentence which are different from the one matched with it by the program are highlighted in black. Underlined black

What the sentence colours mean
Red is used for the sentences from the most matched statement.
Blue is used for the next best match if there are least 3 sentences.
Pink is used for the third best match if there are at least another 3 sentences.
Brown is used for any other matches if there are at least 3 sentences.

Grey is used for sentences for which no match has been found in the indexes and for very short sentences which don't get checked.

Examples

I grew up in a city near the sea and have always been fascinated by marine life.

If you had written this sentence and found it shown in red like the above when you checked the notification report, it would mean that it had been exactly matched to a personal statement stored in the Copycatch library.

I grew up in a town near the sea and have always found marine life fascinating.

If you had written the first sentence and found it reported like that immediately above, it would mean that the word town was not in the matched sentence, nor was the word found. The word fascinating was not found as an exact match but is sufficiently similar to the equivalent word in the matched sentence to be identified by underlining. The blue colour also shows you that the match was found in the second most matched statement.

جوري
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
By the way, this is advice from a former head of admissions, at Queen Mary's, University of London:

" The PS is supposed to be about YOU, written by YOU, edited by YOU, submitted by YOU. It's through writing and rewriting your PS over and over again that you will focus on why you want to do your course. Why you REALLY want to do your course. This is going to serve you well in interview - because if you can't answer that convincingly you won't get an offer. By convincingly I mean not peddling the same old crap everyone says "I like science and ... " etc.

Besides which, admissions tutors are not stupid. They can tell when someone else has written or influenced a PS, because I guarantee you that what they come up with will not sound the same as what most 17/18 year olds will write. I have read several PSs this week and I know which ones have been partially written by a relative/friend/teacher.

They can't necessarily penalise you for that because it's impossible to prove BUT what happens is that these PSs sound wooden and unspontaneous - they lack passion or interest, 'something from the heart' because the people that think they know what a PS should look like tend to eliminate all the stuff that looks like it was written by an 18 year old. And yet this is what tutors look for - individuality, something personal, something genuine.

Just don't do it. Save your 80 quid and buy something nice with it instead. "

I suggest you pay the essayedge.com site a visit.. essays are indeed written by the individual-- I am not sure where in my post you got the idea that someone will write it for you?

No one is going to sit there and conjure up an image of you as a six year old when your received your first chemistry set from your uncle rustum the reneowned chemist who used to take you to his job every other weekend and under his tutelage sparked your interest in science .. It is a personal statement written by you and represents you, brain storming back and forth between you and a professional editor so that it is detailed and not disjointed and captivating to the reader and not the usual run of the mill page.. sometimes spending a couple of bucks can define your future and set it on the right path.

an admission director can indeed tell the difference -- should he/she question you about paragraph six, and find out you'd paid someone to do it for you, but I can guarantee not when you yourself have written it and had it at its most polished.. I rather think it beats plagiarizing someone else's captivating tale?

when you go to an interview you can certainly wear dockers and a polo and think well it is good enough that is me on a egular day, if I wear a suit, I couldn't pull it off? or you can wear a professional suit, it will still be you, not on your everyday but on your personal best, if anything at all it should show initiative and interest on the journey on which you are about to embark!..
first impressions are lasting ones!

my two cents-- and he is certainly free to take or leave it!

Banu_Hashim
11-25-2008, 07:24 AM

I suggest you pay the essayedge.com site a visit.. essays are indeed written by the individual-- I am not sure where in my post you got the idea that someone will write it for you?

No one is going to sit there and conjure up an image of you as a six year old when your received your first chemistry set from your uncle rustum the reneowned chemist who used to take you to his job every other weekend and under his tutelage sparked your interest in science .. It is a personal statement written by you and represents you, brain storming back and forth between you and a professional editor so that it is detailed and not disjointed and captivating to the reader and not the usual run of the mill page.. sometimes spending a couple of bucks can define your future and set it on the right path.

an admission director can indeed tell the difference -- should he/she question you about paragraph six, and find out you'd paid someone to do it for you, but I can guarantee not when you yourself have written it and had it at its most polished.. I rather think it beats plagiarizing someone else's captivating tale?

when you go to an interview you can certainly wear dockers and a polo and think well it is good enough that is me on a egular day, if I wear a suit, I couldn't pull it off? or you can wear a professional suit, it will still be you, not on your everyday but on your personal best, if anything at all it should show initiative and interest on the journey on which you are about to embark!..
first impressions are lasting ones!

my two cents-- and he is certainly free to take or leave it!

I think the point of that advice was to warn applicants about these Personal Statement editing sites. Teachers in your school, can give you just as good advice, but the words ultimately have to be your own, to show your passion for that subject. Just use the wealth of experience around you, past applicants, teachers, friends, family etc. It would save the extra money. I'm not exactly sure how much this editing site (essayedge.com) influences your personal statement or essay, but I would agree with the admissions tutor, just do it yourself. I'm not saying apply blindly after a first draft, definitely spend a long time writing this, months if you have to! And get as many people to check it. This is one of the most important documents you will ever write. Chances are the PS editing sites have generic phrases which it uses for alot of PSs, and UCAS have software that detect things like these.

I agree with you sis, your appearance at the interview matters, especially for vocational courses like medicine, as your essentially entering your profession at the interview.

I agree with everything you said, and if the OP wants to use this site, then that's their choice, and it's fine.

جوري
11-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Jazaka Allah khyran..
I don't stand to gain anything by telling the brother, that he might want to consider working with an editor.. Allah swt knows my intention was to offer the best help I could..

I just wanted to share a sample before and after from the site.. someone applying to graduate school: maybe in and of itself would spark some ideas..

Sample Graduate Application Essay-

Before

When I walked through my front door, the first thing I noticed was the odor. Then, I heard the groaning. I remember the occasion quite vividly, although it was ten years ago. My sister and I had just returned from the park with a neighbor, expecting everything to be normal. I soon discovered that nothing would ever be normal again.

Since my time in school I have always known that science and technology was the direction I would take in my studies. It was a fascination that still carries on with me to this day. In my first chemistry class in high school I became conscious of the feeling that chemistry was something I really enjoyed. Since that time I have been down many paths that have led me back to the field of chemistry.

The first chemistry course I took in high school was much like any other class. It was not too involved and was geared toward learning the basics. However, I did well and was given the opportunity to take an AP chemistry course, which I lunged at taking. The instructor, Mr. Miller, tasked us with choosing a topic to research throughout the semester, in addition to regular coursework. This was my first real introduction into research. I enjoyed going to the local universities and spending time looking through all the material.

Additionally, I wanted to be a pilot for the United States Air Force. The appeal of flight to me was great, and I spent much of my time devoted to becoming a pilot. Through much physical and mental preparation I made it into the United States Air Force Academy. My dream of becoming a pilot was well on its way. I had gone through glider training and soloed in my first aircraft. I also still had a fondness for science and opted for the science and engineering track of courses offered at the Academy. However, after two years there I learned that I would not become a pilot after all. My vision was not up to Air Force standards. It was a demoralizing setback, but one I knew I could overcome. I left the Academy and returned to my hometown school, the University of Texas Austin.

My first semester at UTA was a difficult semester during which I did not know what I wanted to do any more. I knew I liked chemistry but I wasn't sure it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The military had taught me to persevere in times of adversity, so I stuck with the chemistry program. The chemistry department at UTA took me in and showed me what chemistry was all about. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time in labs performing experiments and learning the basics of chemistry. However, I needed more than laid out lab experiments from the books. This motivated me to seek an opportunity to perform research with Dr. John Rove. After speaking with him, he offered me a position in his group doing research on decomposition mechanisms of electro-optic dyes. Taking him up on his offer was likely the turning point in my education as an undergraduate chemist. If not for his personal guidance and help, I doubt I would be where I am today: a young chemist with motivation and a love for chemistry.

The research I performed involved finding suitable organic dyes for electro-optic modulators. After gaining some experience in the lab and conducting long hours of research, I was able to present my research at American Chemical Society regional and national meetings. Networking with other chemists and seeing their research allowed me to see the full value of the courses I've taken as an undergraduate. It was also during this time I decided to make chemistry a career.

When I completed my bachelor's degree I had a two year commitment in the US Air Force which I am currently close to completing. My time in the Air Force as an intelligence analyst has given me real world experience which I know I will need in the future. Completing tasks while communicating with many different people in extremely time sensitive situations has provided me with skills that no book or classroom can offer.

I think that my coursework and undergraduate research experience at the University of Texas at Austin have provided me with the foundation for further study as a graduate student. While interested in broad ranges of topics in chemistry, I am partial to inorganic and materials chemistry. My next goal is to attain a PhD in chemistry. I know I am ready to put forth the time and effort to obtain this goal.

I believe that the University of Texas at San Antonio has the resources to allow me to accomplish my goals. Perseverance, determination, and hard work are the keys to being a successful graduate student and I am ready and willing to conquer this challenge. These traits will not only help me in my graduate studies but will carry on in my goals to be a successful student and chemist.

after

"This semester," bellowed the teacher as he addressed the room of high school seniors, "I will make you all chemists." The class let out a collective groan. The teacher continued unfazed. "You will all have to complete a real research project using the facilities of local universities." Like most of my classmates in the AP Chemistry course, I dreaded the huge amount of work that loomed before me. Little did I know that this work would help determine my future. In the months ahead, I committed more time to this one course than I ever had before, poring over chemistry textbooks and working in the laboratory into the early hours of the morning. I always had an inkling that my future lay in science and technology, and this experience proved it beyond question. The methodical laboratory preparations, the interweaving of theory and practice, and the tangible results of a successful experiment all appealed to my disciplined and inquisitive nature. By the end of my senior year, I had developed a solid foundation in the principles of chemistry, and just as my teacher had promised, I was on my way to becoming a chemist.

Despite my growing interest in chemistry, I still harbored dreams of becoming a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force at the time of my high school graduation. Even as I spent my evenings in the laboratory for AP Chemistry, I woke up early in the morning to run and do a routine of sit-ups and pushups. I was preparing for the rigorous physical and mental demands of the Air Force Academy. Over the course of previous summers, I had experienced the sweeping rush of glider school and had soloed in my first motorized aircraft. I hoped for the challenging life of an Air Force pilot and was on my way to making it a reality through sweaty self-discipline and intense mental focus. On one sunny afternoon, I saw a thick letter with a Colorado postmark in my mailbox. I was now a cadet at the Academy.

As with all military institutions, the first years at the Academy were intensely demanding. Strenuous endurance tests, high-level academic work, and hazing by upperclassmen made a junior cadet's life extremely trying. Nonetheless, I thrived during these years because I never lost my sense of focus or my love of chemistry. Even as I dreamed of being a fighter pilot, I found my chemistry courses to be highly engaging and challenging. All cadets were given a choice of academic tracks, and I had chosen science and engineering. As in high school, I worked in the laboratory late at night and ran early in the morning. Whenever I got fatigued, I just remembered how close I was to fulfilling my goal of becoming a pilot.

After a visit to the ophthalmologist one day, my dreams of airborne glory were abruptly shot down. My vision did not meet the Air Force standards required of pilots. It was a crushing blow, and at first I did not know what to do. Nonetheless, I knew that I was not without direction. Once again, my life pushed me towards studying chemistry. This was a subject that I knew I would enjoy, so I packed up my science textbooks, threw away my flight training manuals, and headed back to my hometown college, the University of Texas at Austin (UTA).

As much as I had loved chemistry before, my studies at UTA convinced me that I had found the right vocation. I was particularly inspired by Dr. John Rove. Like my high school chemistry teacher, Dr. Rove knew that the best way to instill an appreciation for the field was through active research and meaningful laboratory work. He believed that one should never learn from a book what one could learn from a beaker, flask, or Bunsen burner. As soon as I explained my experience and interest in the field to him, he offered me a position in his group doing research on the decomposition mechanisms of electro-optic dyes. The research I performed involved finding suitable organic dyes for electro-optic modulators. After months of grueling work and wise guidance from Dr. Rove, I was ready to present my research at regional and national meetings of the American Chemical Society. Networking with chemists from around the country allowed me to glimpse not only other possible fields of chemical research, but also the potential career options I might want to pursue. Had it not been for Dr. Rove's personal guidance and help, I doubt that my future career plans in chemistry would be as clear as they are today.

Because of my two-year commitment to the United States Air Force, I was unable to apply to graduate school directly after college. Instead, I spent two years serving as an intelligence officer. From this job, I have greatly improved my analytic ability, communication skills, pressure management techniques, and patience as a researcher. Like chemists, intelligence officers often have to construct coherent models of reality from incomplete pieces of data. This position has offered me insights and training that no classroom setting could match. Nonetheless, I am ready to return to my first love, chemistry.

Although my life has taken some unexpected turns in the last few years, the field of chemistry has been an unwavering companion and a source of intellectual interest. Whether it was discovering research in high school, learning advanced chemical theories at the Air Force Academy, or presenting my findings at meetings of the Chemical Society, the lure of studying physical structures has always guided my decisions. My advanced research in electro-optic modulators and my course work in classes such as Molecular Orbital Theory have given me the analytical ability, laboratory skills, and theoretical knowledge to excel in a rigorous doctoral program. During my Ph.D. studies, I intend to focus on inorganic and materials chemistry in order to design new materials for use in industry. By a stroke of fate, the weak vision that prevented me from becoming a fighter pilot allowed me to envision my future as a successful chemist.

It is all the same simply phrased in a different order and more eloquently..

Banu_Hashim
11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
It certainly is more eloquent! Also... good people to ask for help are english teachers.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.