/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about mental health (medication and tattoos (again)

DCseeker71
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Two things:

First thing: What is the opinion out there of Muslims who take medication for mental "disorders" such as depression or Attention Deficit Disorder or anxiety?
I take these medications and I am a Muslim. I accept that Allah (most compassionate, most merciful) as the "one" and there is no other. A doctor told me after some administering some tests that I should be on medication. I have to say that the medication does "work" .... sort of. It does relieve anxiety and some depression. That being said, just from my readings I understand that Allah (most beneficial, most merciful) gave me brain, and he gave me a heart, and I feel as if I should learn to use them without the influence of medication.
I am anxious to hear everyone's opinion but I should say "getting off" medications for depression is something that has to be done carefully. And, my doctor had advised against it, suggesting that I have an actual chemical imbalance in my brain which make it operate in a different fashion .
Thoughts?

Second question: We know that tattoos are haram, I think even superficial of the Qur'an revels that (you mess with your body, you are messing with the creators creation!).
But what about those people who have tattoos, already? Many of the people that have tattoos in this world come from poor communities, where tattoos are seen as a right of passage, a declaration of your social status and neighborhood affiliations. Many get them when they are very young, and certainly before they go to prison and get tattoos! Removing tattoos is incredibly expensive. What are people supposed to do that have tattoos and are Muslims, walk around knowing that they are unclean, and daily committing a great sin? How do you resolve this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
11-24-2008, 06:45 PM
:salamext:

1) Permissible medicines are allowed. Allah provides you a cure through them.

2) If a person has tattoos before Islam, or if they repent from them and surgery is too expensive to remove them - then Allah has forgiven the past sins.

Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

“First of all, I would like to stress the fact that it is haram to have tattoos on the body. However, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Islam takes away the sins done before it.”

Thus, if these tattoos cannot be removed easily or if you have to spend a lot of money to remove them, then you should not worry about them.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.