/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The University 2009 entry thread!

Pages : [1] 2

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
:sl:

I decided to make a thread for those of us applying this year for University in the UK primarily (and elsewhere). Maybe we can share our anxieties, and inshaAllah joyous moments together!

I sent of my UCAS on the 14th of October. I'm applying for dentistry, with two back-up courses.

University of Bristol - Dentistry - Acknowledgment
University of Leeds - Dentistry - Acknowledgment
University of Cardiff - Dentistry - Nothing what so ever ! imsad (anyone applying here?)
University of Bristol - Neuroscience - Interview/UCAS Open Day
King's College London - Biomedical Sciences - Offer (ABB)

The wait is killing me... I suppose i just have to concentrate on getting good grades anyways :S

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
transition?
11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Lol

I'm applying here in the United States.
I've only turned in one application.

The rest are due January 1 and 15.

nocturnal
11-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Those are some pretty prominent institutions pal, which i had those kind of opportunities.

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
Lol

I'm applying here in the United States.
I've only turned in one application.

The rest are due January 1 and 15.
ah.. well good luck with your application. :) Where are you applying?

Just the other day my friend got an interview at Cambridge (UK) :ooh:! In a way I'm happy for her but am so incredibly jealous..:raging:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nocturnal
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim

Just the other day my friend got an interview at Cambridge (UK) :ooh:! In a way I'm happy for her but am so incredibly jealous..:raging:
You know more often than not, its what you derive from the institution not what it imparts to you, especially here in the UK. I met a guy recently doing a similar course as me at a local council meeting, we both had to be there to observe proceedings as part of a module, but this guy studied at Cambridge as well, told me if anything, it really is about cramming and committing to memory to get in there, what you leave with is not what's imparted to you, but like i said, what you derive from there.

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
yeah i see ur point bro... but still; Cambridge! lol

Far7an
11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Open university zindabaad!

• You study from home.
  • If you're a British citizen you get funding, no loans or fees! (So long as you're earning under a certain amount, contact OU for more details.)
  • You also get funding towards purchasing a laptop and other stationary!
  • All the material is available online or is sent directly to your home, no purchasing large textbooks!

Open Uni is not paying me to do this but I'd love to see more people trying this than exposing themselves to the crazy environments around unis in England.

I know many brothers who have decided to go for Open Uni and they are loving it.

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Open university zindabaad!

• You study from home.
  • If you're a British citizen you get funding, no loans or fees! (So long as you're earning under a certain amount, contact OU for more details.)
  • You also get funding towards purchasing a laptop and other stationary!
  • All the material is available online or is sent directly to your home, no purchasing large textbooks!

Open Uni is not paying me to do this but I'd love to see more people trying this than exposing themselves to the crazy environments around unis in England.

I know many brothers who have decided to go for Open Uni and they are loving it.
Lol, good recruitment drive bro.. but personally i want to have the experience of university; lectures, living on my own, meeting new faces etc. :statisfie

transition?
11-23-2008, 10:17 PM

Haha, I don't think you'd really know any of them. but I'll tell them anyways.
GeorgiaTech, Uni of Georgia, Mercer, Uni of Alabama, Emory Uni, Washington Uni, Duke Uni, Vanderbilt Uni

I heard Cambridge is nice. so good for your friend. :thumbs_up

transition?
11-23-2008, 10:19 PM
How expensive are universities in UK?
They are crazy expensive here, although we are in recession the price of universities are still 50,000$ for out of state and private institutions.

Far7an
11-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Lol, good recruitment drive bro.. but personally i want to have the experience of university; lectures, living on my own, meeting new faces etc. :statisfie
Lectures: boring
Living on your own: tiring, stressing, not nice without Mum's food.
Meeting new faces: Just go to the different masjid all over your city or even your local library!

:)

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, I think they're a lot more expensive in the US than in the UK. It depends on the uni... but generally you pay around £3,000 per year. And the government gives you a grant so they basically pay for the rest. You can get loans for the money you have to pay, and then you can start paying back after you finished your degree and start earning a certain amount.

OK, lecture over.

Hmm... ur right i havn't heard of those uni's before. lol. What subject are you hoping to study?

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
apparently before 1997... the government used to pay for your whole degree !

transition?
11-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, I think they're a lot more expensive in the US than in the UK. It depends on the uni... but generally you pay around £3,000 per year. And the government gives you a grant so they basically pay for the rest. You can get loans for the money you have to pay, and then you can start paying back after you finished your degree and start earning a certain amount.

OK, lecture over.

Hmm... ur right i havn't heard of those uni's before. lol. What subject are you hoping to study?
only 3000? lol wow, which is only 6000 in US$. that's nothing compared to us. Insane! It's quite sad because the American University system is a superstructure and one of the best systems, unfortunately the primary and secondary education systems below it (elementary/middle/high school) is crumbling into an abyss. Especially with those prices and the poor preparatory education, who knows what the future will hold.

I plan on majoring in molecular biology (for the schools that offer it) and minoring in religious studies or history. I can't say exactly what subject because different universities offer different majors. ah, InshaAllah. life happens. ^_^

So you want to be a dentist? :)

livanae
11-23-2008, 11:01 PM
apparently before 1997... the government used to pay for your whole degree !
Why oh why.

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 11:05 PM
only 3000? lol wow, which is only 6000 in US$. that's nothing compared to us. Insane! It's quite sad because the American University system is a superstructure and one of the best systems, unfortunately the primary and secondary education systems below it (elementary/middle/high school) is crumbling into an abyss. Especially with those prices and the poor preparatory education, who knows what the future will hold.

I plan on majoring in molecular biology (for the schools that offer it) and minoring in religious studies or history. I can't say exactly what subject because different universities offer different majors. ah, InshaAllah. life happens. ^_^

So you want to be a dentist? :)
InshAllah... Yeah I know it's crazy! I guess that's why institutions such as Harvard are the best at research because they leech 50,000 dollars +, off from all their students. Mad. I wish we had this system of majoring and minoring. Because then I would have liked to minor in something like History as well, or Arabic/Islamic studies if they offered it!

So your a bio nerd huh? :P Me too... but only human biology, not plant biology (boring..zzzzzzzzz)

transition?
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
InshAllah... Yeah I know it's crazy! I guess that's why institutions such as Harvard are the best at research because they leech 50,000 dollars +, off from all their students. Mad. I wish we had this system of majoring and minoring. Because then I would have liked to minor in something like History as well, or Arabic/Islamic studies if they offered it!

So your a bio nerd huh? :P Me too... but only human biology, not plant biology (boring..zzzzzzzzz)

Lol, do universities in UK have legacies? As if the grandfather went to Harvard, the father goes and then the son.
Well, legacies often donate millions to Harvard. They don't need to leech off their students. Many of them get full ride scholarships based on their merit. But I do believe Harvard knows that many of their graduates will become wealthy individuals. That's how they get the monies. Since they are private institution.

Everything is interesting in molecular level. I can imagine botany getting tedious.

Banu_Hashim
11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
*cough* george bush *cough* Didn't he go to yale or something because his dad paid them?

No I don't think they have 'legacies' over here. Might be wrong though. So is that like 50,000 for the whole degree or per year?!

transition?
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Yes, George Bush.

50,000 per a year, but not all schools are so much. The big private ones and some really good public ones are like Uni of Virginia, Uni of California, Uni of North Carolina, Uni of Pennsylvania..etc.

crayon
11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Ahh, university. Waited so long for senior year and now I'm just mehhh.
Not too sure where I'll end up..
Here are the possibilities though
Ryerson- journalism
Concordia- journalism
Northwestern, Qatar- journalism
American Sharjah- mass communication (concentration in journalism)
Yamamah, KSA- marketing

Sigh.

Ar-RaYYan
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
are you going to take a loan? I have heard that the loans have interest? :exhausted

Banu_Hashim
11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Ahh, university. Waited so long for senior year and now I'm just mehhh.
Not too sure where I'll end up..
Here are the possibilities though
Ryerson- journalism
Concordia- journalism
Northwestern, Qatar- journalism
American Sharjah- mass communication (concentration in journalism)
Yamamah, KSA- marketing

Sigh.
you should just do photography! your photos are really good. Well good luck!... Have you sent off ur application?

Banu_Hashim
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
are you going to take a loan? I have heard that the loans have interest? :exhausted
yeah that's what i heard as well... hmm.. I'm not sure what I'll do. One of my sister's friends apparently got a grant from the local council but for only like 1000. what about you?

Ar-RaYYan
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah that's what i heard as well... hmm.. I'm not sure what I'll do. One of my sister's friends apparently got a grant from the local council but for only like 1000. what about you?
well ur local govt actually gives 2000 or something like that but still it wont be enough to pay the fee!(beside u need that money to pay for ur rent(if living away from home) train/bus tickest, books etc). For those who are going to uni 2009 the tution fee will be £3,225 per year! and the bursary the universities gives wont be enough to pay the tuition.
I know some people who argue that there is no interest in the loan but its inflation blah blah. actually if you go to the student loan company website (the company responsible for providing loans for UK students) they them self say that the loan has interest. Besides, ask ur career adviser - they will tell u that it has interest. I asked mine and he told me that there are riba involved But he claim that some scholars allow students to take loans that has interest as it will benefit their future!!
personally i will never ever take a loan that has riba whether it will benefit my future or not -just read the verses in the Qur'an where it talks about riba and the punishments for it in the hereafter - pretty scarry :skeleton:
So i'm stuck now- i have no idea what i'm going to do to pay the tuition fee!

Banu_Hashim
11-25-2008, 06:58 AM
well ur local govt actually gives 2000 or something like that but still it wont be enough to pay the fee!(beside u need that money to pay for ur rent(if living away from home) train/bus tickest, books etc). For those who are going to uni 2009 the tution fee will be £3,225 per year! and the bursary the universities gives wont be enough to pay the tuition.
I know some people who argue that there is no interest in the loan but its inflation blah blah. actually if you go to the student loan company website (the company responsible for providing loans for UK students) they them self say that the loan has interest. Besides, ask ur career adviser - they will tell u that it has interest. I asked mine and he told me that there are riba involved But he claim that some scholars allow students to take loans that has interest as it will benefit their future!!
personally i will never ever take a loan that has riba whether it will benefit my future or not -just read the verses in the Qur'an where it talks about riba and the punishments for it in the hereafter - pretty scarry :skeleton:
So i'm stuck now- i have no idea what i'm going to do to pay the tuition fee!
yeah that is definitely a problem. And imagine the uproar if universities were to waiver most of or all of the tuition fees for muslims. Where are you applying btw, and for what ?

Ar-RaYYan
11-26-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah that is definitely a problem. And imagine the uproar if universities were to waiver most of or all of the tuition fees for muslims. Where are you applying btw, and for what ?
lol i can just imagine the membership of BNP increasing!
my course is bit complicated coz the universities i'm applying to have different name for it and each course is bit different to the other course offered by another university! (it was difficult to write my personal satement coz i had to make sure that it applied to each course)

Keele- Law and International relations
Coventry - Law and International studies
De monfort- Law, Human Rights and Social Justice
De montfort - Law and Politics
Birmingham City - Human rights law

ayan333
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM

i hate school..well the work part of it atleast

i must post since i do Rep '09

InshALLAH here are the possibilities..some are high..others not so much

1. um Al-Qura university: Mecca,Saudi................00001%

2. Al-Azhar Uni : Egypt....................................00010%

3. Georgia state uni: Georgia,u.s........................80%

4. University of Georgia: ..................................7%

5. Gwinnett college: ........................................7%

6. emory uni .................................................. 6%

and sis transition? your a genius..youll get into every college u apply to!!!

....InshALLAH that is

:w:

Banu_Hashim
11-26-2008, 09:38 PM
lol i can just imagine the membership of BNP increasing!
my course is bit complicated coz the universities i'm applying to have different name for it and each course is bit different to the other course offered by another university! (it was difficult to write my personal satement coz i had to make sure that it applied to each course)

Keele- Law and International relations
Coventry - Law and International studies
De monfort- Law, Human Rights and Social Justice
De montfort - Law and Politics
Birmingham City - Human rights law
Oh right so your not applying for the LLB then? It took me aaages to write my personal statement. I remember the amount of stuff that my head of sixth form told me was rubbish, the first time I gave him my first draft. But by the end of it, it wasn't half bad!

Have you heard from any of your unis yet?

Nervous times!

transition?
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

....InshALLAH that is

AYAN!!
lol, genius smeeeeeeeenius!
It's all about hardwork.. which is missing from my application. :exhausted
I don't how I'll get into college lol. My parents have all these expectations. and I still have only finished 2 applications =(. imsad
Eh, but there is nothing we can do about the past. Except ask for repentance for our sins. I'm relying on Allah (swt) for the rest and my future.

Banu_Hashim
11-27-2008, 03:55 PM

....InshALLAH that is

what do those percentages mean?

transition?
11-27-2008, 03:57 PM
what do those percentages mean?
:sl: Brother,

Sister ayan is just being silly. Those percentages are the ones she made up about her chances in getting into those schools. :rollseyes

Banu_Hashim
11-27-2008, 04:02 PM
ohhh right... 0.00001% ? lol. Actually all the people that are 'I'll never get in' are actually are a genius and get in everywhere.... probably like ayyan.

Sadly, in my case in my case... I am neither a genius, nor do I have high chances of gettin in :P

transition?
11-27-2008, 04:05 PM
ohhh right... 0.00001% ? lol. Actually all the people that are 'I'll never get in' are actually are a genius and get in everywhere.... probably like ayyan.

Sadly, in my case in my case... I am neither a genius, nor do I have high chances of gettin in :P
How ironic, brother!

This deserves an..lol.?

Banu_Hashim
11-27-2008, 04:09 PM
yep, well... I'm an exception to the rule. And I only merely found amusing the fact that she thought she had such a low chance of gettin in when her chances are probably a lot higher.

:S

transition?
11-27-2008, 04:56 PM
yep, well... I'm an exception to the rule. And I only merely found amusing the fact that she thought she had such a low chance of gettin in when her chances are probably a lot higher.

:S

Don't be so hard on yourself, brother.
Everyone doubts themselves. You're your own worst critic!
Intelligence is not merely memorization or pure rational. It is combination of both. It constantly builds as you learn and apply yourself more and more. Not everyone develops at the same rate. Why let a system of merit rank you when in reality there is nothing in the world that knows the future of a human's potential?

Banu_Hashim
11-27-2008, 05:03 PM
wow sis... that was deeply philosophical! I think you should change your major! :P

JazakAllah for the kind words. I'm sure I'll be fine InshAllah, as will you... InshaAllah.

transition?
11-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the Fire (2:201)

:thumbs_up

Ar-RaYYan
11-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Oh right so your not applying for the LLB then? It took me aaages to write my personal statement. I remember the amount of stuff that my head of sixth form told me was rubbish, the first time I gave him my first draft. But by the end of it, it wasn't half bad!

Have you heard from any of your unis yet?

Nervous times!
oops i forget to mention whether the law courses are LLB or BA :-[
well in De montfort and Birmingham city i'm applying to the LLB and in Keele and Coventry its BA.
My personal statement was sooo long at first and i had to cut a lot of stuff out coz i think we were only allowed to write up to 47 lines - dats not fair :enough!:
Oh you are so lucky that u already sent ur application form to ucas! our college is huge and there is like 300 students applying to university each year and there is only two career adviser to check all those forms before they are sent to ucas . Our deadline was last friday and i logged in today in the ucas website and they (my career adviser) said that they have checked my form but my teachers and personal tutor havent yet wrote my refeere :exhausted

What about you? did u get any replies?
btw which uni will be ur first choice and which one will be ur insurance? (or whatever its called)

Banu_Hashim
11-27-2008, 11:15 PM
oops i forget to mention whether the law courses are LLB or BA :-[
well in De montfort and Birmingham city i'm applying to the LLB and in Keele and Coventry its BA.
My personal statement was sooo long at first and i had to cut a lot of stuff out coz i think we were only allowed to write up to 47 lines - dats not fair :enough!:
Oh you are so lucky that u already sent ur application form to ucas! our college is huge and there is like 300 students applying to university each year and there is only two career adviser to check all those forms before they are sent to ucas . Our deadline was last friday and i logged in today in the ucas website and they (my career adviser) said that they have checked my form but my teachers and personal tutor havent yet wrote my refeere :exhausted

What about you? did u get any replies?
btw which uni will be ur first choice and which one will be ur insurance? (or whatever its called)
Well I'm applying for dentistry so we had to send our applications off early. It was honestly such a relief to get it out the way, but I started to feel so nervous as soon as I started to get acknowledgements.

I applied to 3 unis for dentistry, and 2 unis for back-up courses (usually ppl do it four for dentistry and 1 back-up) My choices were:
Bristol- Dentistry
Leeds- Dentistry
Cardiff- Dentistry
Bristol - Neuroscience
King's College - Biomedical Sciences

I got an offer for biomed at king's (ABB) during the half term, and I have an UCAS open day/interview at bristol for neuroscience on the 10th. But those are the two courses I don't really want. I'm just getting worried about getting rejected for dentistry, which I really want to get in for. Most likely if I don't get it this time round, and I still get the grades, I'll reapply.

I liked Leeds the best, so that would be my first choice.

What about you?

Mikayeel
11-27-2008, 11:35 PM

Cardiff - pharmacy
Southpamton - biomedical science
Glamorgan - biomedical science

The other 2 i am still considering, even though our college deadline is tomorrow eee!!

See i was predicted ABB, plus an A in dutch plus welshbac, So inshAllah lets wait nd see!

Mikayeel
11-27-2008, 11:40 PM
bro Banu_Hashim what did they predict u as? AAA ?

Ar-RaYYan
11-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Well I'm applying for dentistry so we had to send our applications off early. It was honestly such a relief to get it out the way, but I started to feel so nervous as soon as I started to get acknowledgements.

I applied to 3 unis for dentistry, and 2 unis for back-up courses (usually ppl do it four for dentistry and 1 back-up) My choices were:
Bristol- Dentistry
Leeds- Dentistry
Cardiff- Dentistry
Bristol - Neuroscience
King's College - Biomedical Sciences

I got an offer for biomed at king's (ABB) during the half term, and I have an UCAS open day/interview at bristol for neuroscience on the 10th. But those are the two courses I don't really want. I'm just getting worried about getting rejected for dentistry, which I really want to get in for. Most likely if I don't get it this time round, and I still get the grades, I'll reapply.

I liked Leeds the best, so that would be my first choice.

What about you?
Inshallah you will be accepted!:D
so are you saying that if you get the grades but you dont get accepted by Leeds, Bristol or Cardiff you are going to reapply in 2010? sorry didnt get that bit.
Could a degree in Biomedical science or Neuroscience lead you to a career in dentistry btw? King's college is really good uni!

My first choice is Coventry coz thats is close to me and the major plus is that if i do the law and international studies degree i get the chance to study abroad and one of the universities they have connections with in denmark just happens to be close to my sister's city and it would be nice to go back to denmark and spend a year there!!

Banu_Hashim
11-28-2008, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel
bro Banu_Hashim what did they predict u as? AAA ?
I'm predicted AAB... :S so we'll see...

Banu_Hashim
11-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Inshallah you will be accepted!:D
so are you saying that if you get the grades but you dont get accepted by Leeds, Bristol or Cardiff you are going to reapply in 2010? sorry didnt get that bit.
Could a degree in Biomedical science or Neuroscience lead you to a career in dentistry btw? King's college is really good uni!

My first choice is Coventry coz thats is close to me and the major plus is that if i do the law and international studies degree i get the chance to study abroad and one of the universities they have connections with in denmark just happens to be close to my sister's city and it would be nice to go back to denmark and spend a year there!!
Yeah... I meant I might reapply for 2010 entry. Sorry wasn't clear. It is possible to do a biomed degree and apply as a graduate, but i've heard it's a lot harder.

That year out sounds really good, would you go by your self or with friends?

Ar-RaYYan
11-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah... I meant I might reapply for 2010 entry. Sorry wasn't clear. It is possible to do a biomed degree and apply as a graduate, but i've heard it's a lot harder.

That year out sounds really good, would you go by your self or with friends?
But if you do apply 2009 for the 2010 again u will not be 100% sure that your chosen universities will offer u a place - grades are important but they do consider other factors as well - why risk that? you sound like a clever guy i'm sure u can face the challenges you might have if you do a biomedical :) and i have heard that king's college have a good reputation! ( anywas tell me to mind my own business if u find my advice ......(i will let u finish that lol) )

If i'm taking the year out, i'm not going with any friends! (besides non of my friends have chosen coventry as one of their choices! :laugh:) anywas my sister and her family lives there so im staying with them and also i grew up in denmark and still have contacts with some of my friends so i wont be lonely ! :D

Banu_Hashim
11-28-2008, 12:37 AM
But if you do apply 2009 for the 2010 again u will not be 100% sure that your chosen universities will offer u a place - grades are important but they do consider other factors as well - why risk that? you sound like a clever guy i'm sure u can face the challenges you might have if you do a biomedical :) and i have heard that king's college have a good reputation! ( anywas tell me to mind my own business if u find my advice ......(i will let u finish that lol) )

If i'm taking the year out, i'm not going with any friends! (besides non of my friends have chosen coventry as one of their choices! :laugh:) anywas my sister and her family lives there so im staying with them and also i grew up in denmark and still have contacts with some of my friends so i wont be lonely ! :D
lol... i found it! Don't worry your advice is useful. :P I'm still applying this year, and your right the universities arn't obliged to accept me if i reapply... but I'll be in a much stronger position, already having my grades instead of maybe being able to get the grades... if you see what I mean. A lot of people get in this way. Anywho...

You grew up in denmark? oh right... sounds better than growing up in the UK!

Ar-RaYYan
11-28-2008, 12:53 AM
lol... i found it! Don't worry your advice is useful. :P I'm still applying this year, and your right the universities arn't obliged to accept me if i reapply... but I'll be in a much stronger position, already having my grades instead of maybe being able to get the grades... if you see what I mean. A lot of people get in this way. Anywho...

You grew up in denmark? oh right... sounds better than growing up in the UK!
so if u do get the grade this year( and things dont turn out the way you want) what are you going to do with a whole year?
yh i spent my childhood in denmark ( i dont think i would have had good childhood if i lived in the uk instead - coz the streets aren't that safe and many other factors that wil take too long to write and im tired) and i moved here at the start of my teens ( and its better to live here coz of the religion!)

Banu_Hashim
11-28-2008, 01:02 AM
so if do get the grade this year( and things dont turn out the way you want) what are you going to do with a whole year?
yh i spent my childhood in denmark ( i dont think i would have had good childhood if i lived in the uk instead - coz the streets aren't that safe and many other factors that wil take too long to write and im tired) and i moved here at the start of my teens ( and its better to live here coz of the religion!)
I would really like to go abroad and do some voluntary work... or even go on umrah... havn't exactly planned anything yet... this is all stuff i havn't thought about too much. InshAllah i won't have to think about it any time soon... So are you close to sending off your ucas form or have you already sent it off? I can't remember (I think I'm tired too).

Ar-RaYYan
11-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I would really like to go abroad and do some voluntary work... or even go on umrah... havn't exactly planned anything yet... this is all stuff i havn't thought about too much. InshAllah i won't have to think about it any time soon... So are you close to sending off your ucas form or have you already sent it off? I can't remember (I think I'm tired too).
Nope i havent sent off my ucas form imsad im still waiting for my career adviser to check and approve it and my references to be written!
Going to umrah would be great mashallah :D
A while back i was reading this website and basically it was saying that young people under the age of 25 have the opportunity to spend a year or (few months if you choose) in Africa and do a voluntary work and the best part is its completely free!! from your tickest to the accomodations! how cool is that!
But anywas bro you dont actually know if they accepted or rejected you - so be positive and inshallah you will be offered a place if Allah wills - make lots of duas! :statisfie

Good luck with ur interview on the 10th! and do tell us how it goes! :)

transition?
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I feel like I'll never finish with college apps.
I procrastinated :cry:

Banu_Hashim
11-28-2008, 04:34 PM
I feel like I'll never finish with college apps.
I procrastinated :cry:
Is there like a deadline where you have to get them all in by? I'm sure you'll them done! Just have to get motivated...:D

HumbleServant
12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes yes all of you should come to LEEDS! :D

Not that it's anything special! Lol.

Sis Ayan - have u applied to Azhar in Egypt? They have excellent courses going on mashallah! They even have free weekly Arabic classes about hadeeth, fiqh, quran in Azhar masjid especially for foreign students (and even normal people) in basic arabic.

Hope you all get in to wherever is best for you insha Allah!

transition?
12-07-2008, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HumbleServant
Yes yes all of you should come to LEEDS! :D

Not that it's anything special! Lol.

Sis Ayan - have u applied to Azhar in Egypt? They have excellent courses going on mashallah! They even have free weekly Arabic classes about hadeeth, fiqh, quran in Azhar masjid especially for foreign students (and even normal people) in basic arabic.

Hope you all get in to wherever is best for you insha Allah!
tihehehe Leeds
and create a huge posse of LIers :statisfie
but I heard there were lots of Muslims in Leeds already.

Banu_Hashim
12-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I actually liked Leeds the best, and will inshAllah be my firm choice. Probably why i felt comfortable was because there were lots of muslims :p

HumbleServant
12-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah there seem to be a fair amount of muslims in leeds alhamdulillah! Quite a big islamic society.. i think partly to do with leeds met and univ of leeds students both being in one.. im really not sure despite being a part of it :|

people are generally very nice here. im sure wherever you go you'll enjoy it:D

Ar-RaYYan
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM

salaam :D
how did ur interview go bro? what kind of questions did they ask you?
did u like the uni? detail, detail :D

Banu_Hashim
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
salaam :D
how did ur interview go bro? what kind of questions did they ask you?
did u like the uni? detail, detail :D
You remembered! Actually, it wasn't an interview. They basically split us into two groups and took us around the city and campus to show everything and what it was like. Then we had lunch with the undergraduates showing us around.

Then, we had a practical demo, where they hooked us up to this electrocution thing (exaggeration), but basically they stimulated our ulna nerve to make our little finger twitch- pretty cool.

Then after that we had a chat with staff and students. But it was in the group that we were in, and is was really informal. Mostly us asking them stuff about the course etc.

In the booklet they gave us, they said they'd make their decision within days so... just gotta play the waiting game...

Banu_Hashim
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
And yeah the uni was really nice :D... have you heard from any of your unis?

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Hope it goes great for all you soon-to-be freshers insha'Allah!

Banu_Hashim
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
Hope it goes great for all you soon-to-be freshers insha'Allah!
InshAllah!... Make Dua for us!

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Insha'Allah, and the best piece of advice...Join the ISOC....and if you wanna be lazy....do it now, uni is not the place for it :exhausted been there done that, stressed at deadlines. Speaking of which, I have one tomorrow and I havnt started :-[

Banu_Hashim
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Insha'Allah, and the best piece of advice...Join the ISOC....and if you wanna be lazy....do it now, uni is not the place for it :exhausted been there done that, stressed at deadlines. Speaking of which, I have one tomorrow and I havnt started :-[
lol, which uni are you at? what course are you doing?

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
lol, which uni are you at?
If I told you that I'd have to kill you.

what course are you doing?
I'm studying many things, amongst which are Arabic and Islamic Studies :D

Banu_Hashim
12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
wow. Good Luck with your assignment

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
JazakAllah khayr! :D :)

aadil77
12-11-2008, 10:02 PM

I decided to make a thread for those of us applying this year for University in the UK primarily (and elsewhere). Maybe we can share our anxieties, and inshaAllah joyous moments together!

I sent of my UCAS on the 14th of October. I'm applying for dentistry, with two back-up courses.

University of Cardiff - Dentistry - Nothing what so ever ! imsad (anyone applying here?)

The wait is killing me... I suppose i just have to concentrate on getting good grades anyways :S
Mash'Allah, Good luck brother:):thumbs_up, Im waiting for some offers - but my teachers screwed me over with my predictions (ABBC) I needed atleast another A .. Oh well

Ar-RaYYan
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
You remembered! Actually, it wasn't an interview. They basically split us into two groups and took us around the city and campus to show everything and what it was like. Then we had lunch with the undergraduates showing us around.

Then, we had a practical demo, where they hooked us up to this electrocution thing (exaggeration), but basically they stimulated our ulna nerve to make our little finger twitch- pretty cool.

Then after that we had a chat with staff and students. But it was in the group that we were in, and is was really informal. Mostly us asking them stuff about the course etc.

In the booklet they gave us, they said they'd make their decision within days so... just gotta play the waiting game...
ooh nice! dat practical demo sounds cool!
i always thought that densitry people are given a formal interview just like medicine :blind:

no, i still havent managed to sent my application form off! ( my personal tutor still hasnt done my reference! :exhausted)

Edit: just realised now that u went to the open day for Neuroscience NOT dentistry! oops...

Ar-RaYYan
12-12-2008, 08:33 PM
the ISOC? whats dat? :X

Banu_Hashim
12-12-2008, 08:47 PM
the ISOC? whats dat? :X
Yeah it was for neuroscience not dentistry for which you definitely have formal interviews.

ISoc = Islamic Society

:p

The Ruler
12-14-2008, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Mash'Allah, Good luck brother:):thumbs_up, Im waiting for some offers - but my teachers screwed me over with my predictions (ABBC) I needed atleast another A .. Oh well
Depends on what course you plan on studying, you could actually contact the universities to find out if they would consider students with lower grades than the minimum requirements. You might find that they do. A friend of mine applied for Finance and Management at City with predicted grades of ABB and they offered her AAB just this Friday.

Me, I got predicted AAB. I applied for Medicine at Birmingham and got an unsuccessful application, because those ****ed people forgot to change their requirement grades on UCAS website. Cheh.

Other than that, I applied to:
- Cardiff - Medicine (so far, I just got an acknowledgement letter)
- UCL - Medicine (nothing so far)
- City - optometry (they want another PS from me. They're not getting one since I'm not particularly keen on learning about the eye)
- Queen Mary's - Biomedical Science (my last back up. Got an offer of BBB, not keen on going there either).

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Depends on what course you plan on studying, you could actually contact the universities to find out if they would consider students with lower grades than the minimum requirements. You might find that they do. A friend of mine applied for Finance and Management at City with predicted grades of ABB and they offered her AAB just this Friday.

Me, I got predicted AAB. I applied for Medicine at Birmingham and got an unsuccessful application, because those ****ed people forgot to change their requirement grades on UCAS website. Cheh.

Other than that, I applied to:
- Cardiff - Medicine (so far, I just got an acknowledgement letter)
- UCL - Medicine (nothing so far)
- City - optometry (they want another PS from me. They're not getting one since I'm not particularly keen on learning about the eye)
- Queen Mary's - Biomedical Science (my last back up. Got an offer of BBB, not keen on going there either).
Cardiff hasn't sent me anything! It's really annoying. Not even an acknowledgement. I suppose no news is good news at the moment... :S

The Ruler
12-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Cardiff hasn't sent me anything! It's really annoying. Not even an acknowledgement. I suppose no news is good news at the moment... :S
No, as far as I know, no news is bad news. Apparently 'decisions' are to be made soon. And if you're not given an interview, you're on the verge of rejection.

Either that's true or my friends are feeding me rat droppings.

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 01:41 PM
No, as far as I know, no news is bad news. Apparently 'decisions' are to be made soon. And if you're not given an interview, you're on the verge of rejection.

Either that's true or my friends are feeding me rat droppings.
:O .... I hope that isn't true.

I know someone who got an offer in April for Medicine, from Queen Mary's though.

So InshAllah, there's hope for us yet.

transition?
12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Ooh, I got into a school! Pretty exciting. now, I just need to turn all the rest of my applications in!

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Ooh, I got into a school! Pretty exciting. now, I just need to turn all the rest of my applications in!
:ooh: Crongrats!! Which one??

transition?
12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
:ooh: Crongrats!! Which one??
Lol, it's probably not as great as the ones everyone has put down. But I got into the University of Georgia. :statisfie

Re.TiReD
12-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Masha'Allah sis! :)

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Lol, it's probably not as great as the ones everyone has put down. But I got into the University of Georgia. :statisfie
I'm sure it's a very well respected uni:).

Do they give you conditional offers in the US? By this I mean that do they say you have to get a certain grade at the end of your high school year, or are you definitely in no matter what.

transition?
12-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Do they give you conditional offers in the US? By this I mean that do they say you have to get a certain grade at the end of your high school year, or are you definitely in no matter what.
Amatul Wadud- Thank you sis <3

Lol, no they only look at the 1st three years of your high school grades if you apply early. If you apply in January, they ask for your first semester grades plus the last three years. They do check up on you kinda while they are deciding whether you should get accepted.
At the end of high school, the school you choose asks for your 2nd semester grades but I'm sure as long as you're not all the sudden failing lol, they're not gonna take your acceptance back.

We call it "senioritis" lol when you start to slack off 2nd semester because those grades really don't matter as much.

GROSS, do they do that in the UK?

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Yep. :(

They'll give you a "conditional" offer, which says you have to get these grades before you can secure your place.

roulade
12-17-2008, 04:06 PM

Hey I am applying for dentistry too. Hows the whole wait thing going banu hashim?

Muslima_Rima
12-17-2008, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Banu_Hashim;1050875]:sl:

Subhanallah those days are over...i sent my UCAS 28TH November...

University of Hertfordshire- Social Work
University Bedfordhsire- Social Work
Middlesex University - Youth Justice
University of Bedfordshire- Youth and Adolescence Studies
University of Bedfordshire- Youth Justice

I hope you include me in you dua, i hope (Inshallah) your duas are excepted by Allah (swt) that i get into one of those subjects and also you...

If not...i have kept a back up plan... Do a degree course as a PO (Probation Ofiicer).

The wait is killing me... I suppose i just have to concentrate on getting good grades anyways

Same here bro....

If not...first plan 2 B-DESH..

ayan333
12-17-2008, 08:05 PM

o im kind of late but Mubarak!!!!!!

it is a hard skool to get in, i no some plpl that have great s.a.t scores that didnt get in

ur a genius..wut did u expect! lol

btw my sister goes there sis

Banu_Hashim
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I got an offer for Neuroscience from Bristol today!

I'm quite happy, because I know that there's not many places on the course.... Just still waiting to hear from my Dentistry unis...

transition?
12-20-2008, 02:43 AM
I got an offer for Neuroscience from Bristol today!

I'm quite happy, because I know that there's not many places on the course.... Just still waiting to hear from my Dentistry unis...

MashAllah!
Neuroscience1?!?! who wants to be a dentist lol. :rollseyes

syilla
01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
:salamext:

i love this thread. :D

Any updates anyone?

aadil77
01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I've got two offers so far :

Birmingham - Maths and Physics AAB
Loughborough - Maths and Physics ABB

Got a rejection from UCL and waiting for Nottingham and Warick

I want to go to Warick so I'm waiting for an offer or rejection asap

Al-Zaara
01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
This is fun, first time I used UCAS. InshaAllah someone is interested in me. ;D

InshaAllah the applications go well for all of you and you'll get a good place to study in!

aadil77
01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
This is fun, first time I used UCAS. InshaAllah someone is interested in me. ;D

InshaAllah the applications go well for all of you and you'll get a good place to study in!
Do the have UCAS in finland?

Banu_Hashim
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Got a rejection from Bristol a few days ago for Dentistry.

aadil77
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Mash'Allah Bro .... jokin lol . You've got other offers so you're alright, what other unis are you waiting for?

Ar-RaYYan
01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
ooh that is so sad imsad bristol was your first choice rite? cheer up bro at least you have got other offers :D
Edit: wasn't your predicted grade the same as the university's (bristol) entry requirement?

Banu_Hashim
01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
ooh that is so sad imsad bristol was your first choice rite? cheer up bro at least you have got other offers :D
Edit: wasn't your predicted grade the same as the university's (bristol) entry requirement?
No, Bristol wasn't my first choice but it would of been nice to at least get an interview. Yes my predicted was enough for their entry... but Bristol's one of the most competitive Uni's in the UK in terms of applicants to places, especially for Dentistry.

But InshAllah we'll see what happens with the others. Have you heard anything?

Al-Zaara
01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Do the have UCAS in finland?
You can apply through UCAS by being an International student or EU student...

Here in Finland we apply as individuals and not through schools or centres. It was pretty difficult for me, as an first-timer and no teachers to help, but I eventually got help from the British Council and the UCAS Staff.

Ar-RaYYan
01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
No, Bristol wasn't my first choice but it would of been nice to at least get an interview. Yes my predicted was enough for their entry... but Bristol's one of the most competitive Uni's in the UK in terms of applicants to places, especially for Dentistry.

But InshAllah we'll see what happens with the others. Have you heard anything?
phew :exhausted thats okay in a way! i thought ur first choice rejected u! inshallah Leeds will offer u a place :D
My tecaher finally sent my ucas off last wednesday :blind:btw how long does it take for ucas to send the application to the universities? coz i was reading the booklet they sent to me that if the applicant have made an error in terms of putting the wrong course or uni they can be contacted within 14 days to change it, so i thought that it will properly take 2 weeks but other people say that once ucas checked ur form they will straight send it to the universities

The Ruler
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Banu Hashim, have you done any work experience? And, if I remember correctly, you didn't get a response from Cardiff? It is possible that their acknowledgement got lost in the post... Because they only send their acknowledgments via post. At least for medicine, they did that.

aadil77
01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Anyone here know much about clearing and ucas extra?

Incase I get rejected from Warick, will I be able to re-apply through clearing with the right entry requirements?

The Ruler
01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Anyone here know much about clearing and ucas extra?

Incase I get rejected from Warick, will I be able to re-apply through clearing with the right entry requirements?
This probably isn't going to help or answer any of your questions. Heck, I might even be wrong, but here:

If you go through clearing, you're basicly binning all your current choices plus any offers you may've had. If you can't get into any university via clearing, you can't go back to the unis that offered you a place initially. That's why it's risky going through clearing.

Banu_Hashim
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Banu Hashim, have you done any work experience? And, if I remember correctly, you didn't get a response from Cardiff? It is possible that their acknowledgement got lost in the post... Because they only send their acknowledgments via post. At least for medicine, they did that.
Yep, about 5 weeks work experience. Possibly but I've talked to other dental applicants and they just received interviews no acknowledgment so perhaps its different for dentistry. So, it doesn't look good. Have you received any interviews/ offers so far?

And btw, how have your exams been going? Have you got any in Jan? So far, I've done Chemistry resit which went very well, Biology resit which was ok, and C3 tomorrow + more later this month. I can't wait for Jan to be over!

The Ruler
01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
No offers except the BioMedical Sciences offer From Queen's. Had to do Bio Unit 3 resit last Thursday. It went as I expected it to go. I wasn't prepared and the questions were that of which I've never seen before.

Had Critical Thinking on Monday, no comment on that. And I have my last resit day after tomorrow: Chemistry modules 1 and 3.

Banu_Hashim
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
No offers except the BioMedical Sciences offer From Queen's. Had to do Bio Unit 3 resit last Thursday. It went as I expected it to go. I wasn't prepared and the questions were that of which I've never seen before.

Had Critical Thinking on Monday, no comment on that. And I have my last resit day after tomorrow: Chemistry modules 1 and 3.
Yeah, we're forced against our will to do General Studies as well, which is basically the same as Critical Studies. Such a waste of time. And good luck in your Chem modules. Revising for Chemistry is so much better than revising for Bio. There's just too much to know for Biology (including the rubbish bits like plants). Anyways... I'm off now. Salaams.

*Yasmin*
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
aslamu 3lykom brothers & sisters
these days i'm thinking about the subject i wanna learn at the uni and till now there is nothin clear in my head
i have to make my last decision cause the registration will end in feb
any suggestions will be appreciated.
cause i got sick from thinking without any results

aadil77
01-17-2009, 09:00 PM
NOOOO! Got rejected from Warick:laugh:, not actually that bothered :D

The Ruler
01-17-2009, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Yasmin*
aslamu 3lykom brothers & sisters
these days i'm thinking about the subject i wanna learn at the uni and till now there is nothin clear in my head
i have to make my last decision cause the registration will end in feb
any suggestions will be appreciated.
cause i got sick from thinking without any results
February? I thought the date has past? I think it was last Wednesday? Or so I was told.

What're you doing now, in terms of studying?

Banu_Hashim
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
She's prob applying outside the UK, in America or something.

*Yasmin*
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
February? I thought the date has past? I think it was last Wednesday? Or so I was told.

What're you doing now, in terms of studying?
nothin.
i just need to choose the subject
i have high marks i was thinking about Pharmacy but i don't know if it's the career i want for the rest of my life

*where i live we apply in jan or feb and enter the uni(in shaa' Allah) in nov.

Banu_Hashim
01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
nothin.
i have high marks i was thinking about Pharmacy but i don't know if it's the career i want for the rest of my life

If you think Pharmacy is for you, then go for it! Personally I would do some 'work experience' with a Pharmacist or Pharmaceutical Company, to see what it's like and if you can see yourself doing that in the future.

Make Istikharah on it... and if you still feel it's for you, then apply inshAllah.

I wish you all the best.

*Yasmin*
01-18-2009, 10:43 AM
If you think Pharmacy is for you, then go for it! Personally I would do some 'work experience' with a Pharmacist or Pharmaceutical Company, to see what it's like and if you can see yourself doing that in the future.

Make Istikharah on it... and if you still feel it's for you, then apply inshAllah.

I wish you all the best.
actualy i know 2 pharmacist, one of em encouraged me and the other didn't
so this made me confused:?
i'll make 2stikharah in sha'a Allah and will see

i wish all the best for you too
jazaka Allahu 5yran

The Ruler
01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
actualy i know 2 pharmacist, one of em encouraged me and the other didn't
so this made me confused:?
There are many who are in the profession of medicine and love it and there are those who absolutely hate it. Some like the demanding and rigorous work whereas the others don't. You need to experience what it is like to be a pharmacist and the work involved. And understand from that experience whether the career is suitable for you or not.

So at the moment, I'd say the same thing Banu Hashim said. Get some work experience.

*Yasmin*
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
There are many who are in the profession of medicine and love it and there are those who absolutely hate it. Some like the demanding and rigorous work whereas the others don't. You need to experience what it is like to be a pharmacist and the work involved. And understand from that experience whether the career is suitable for you or not.

So at the moment, I'd say the same thing Banu Hashim said. Get some work experience.
jazka Allahu khyran brother
i'll get some "work experience" in sha'a Allah

Intisar
01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
nothin.

:sl: Try working as a pharm tech at a drugstore and see how you like it inshaa'Allaah, if it isn't for you then switch to something you like.

Pharmacy is pretty good for a Muslim female who's interested in medicine because you can work very flexible hours, get paid really well (start at 80 k a year), and you don't have to necessarily touch the patients you just give them their medication. :)

Banu_Hashim
01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
and you don't have to necessarily touch the patients you just give them their medication. :)
lol. I guess it's the thought that count's right ? :p

Intisar
01-18-2009, 11:56 PM
lol. I guess it's the thought that count's right ? :p
I guess, but it would be really hard working as a nurse and having to touch some non-mahram male patients. :\ As a pharmacist you can stand behind a counter and give people their medication. And you won't have to make time for your family because the hours are really flexible alhamdulilah. Same goes for a nurse, my Aunt is an anesthesiology nurse and she only works like 3 days and then 3 days off, and then the same thing over and over again alhamdulilah. She always has time for family. :)

When you're thinking of a career think about how it will affect your family, will it help, or will it hinder?

Inshaa'Allaah you guys make it to whatever programs and Universities you desire. :)

Allaahu 3alim.

transition?
01-20-2009, 04:34 AM
I had my second interview today. Which went pretty great because I anticipated it to be like the first one, which unfortunately went terribly lol. No sweat...lol ?

On a sidenote: I learned it takes less time to do a professional degree in Scotland. I might seriously think of moving :/

wth1257
01-20-2009, 04:47 AM

lol.

American High Schools are full of distraught seniors who got accepted to the school of their dreams, decided to take the last semester off (after all they already got accepted :exhausted ), and then got a new letter saying that their dream school was no longer interested as they flunked out of everything.

Sad for them:cry:

but also kind of like "duh dude, what did you expect"

wth1257
01-20-2009, 04:50 AM

MashAllah!
Neuroscience1?!?! who wants to be a dentist lol. :rollseyes

lol that's what I was thinking. Although I have a good friend studying Neuroscience and it's slapping him around a bit, although he loves it at the same time.

Banu_Hashim
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I had my second interview today. Which went pretty great because I anticipated it to be like the first one, which unfortunately went terribly lol. No sweat...lol ?

On a sidenote: I learned it takes less time to do a professional degree in Scotland. I might seriously think of moving :/
Wow. Well Done. Where was your second interview? This is for law right?

Oh really? I thought the average degree in Scotland took about 4 years compared to the 3 years in England.

Banu_Hashim
01-20-2009, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
lol that's what I was thinking. Although I have a good friend studying Neuroscience and it's slapping him around a bit, although he loves it at the same time.
Yeah, i can imagine it's quite tough. Where does he study?

Orn
01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
hmm makes me wonder why I like Physics and Maths more than Chemistry and Biology (these are the two subjects that I, well...........really dislike)

but the rest of the population seem to like Chemistry and Biology more than Physics and Maths :P (I think I'm the only one lol! )

Banu_Hashim
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Orn
hmm makes me wonder why I like Physics and Maths more than Chemistry and Biology (these are the two subjects that I, well...........really dislike)

but the rest of the population seem to like Chemistry and Biology more than Physics and Maths :P (I think I'm the only one lol! )
I really dislike mathematical subjects. And I really don't know why I took Maths for A-Levels!

I love Biology and Chemistry (more so chemistry). So much more interesting! (Well... I think so anyways:p)

wth1257
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, i can imagine it's quite tough. Where does he study?
Brown

transition?
01-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow. Well Done. Where was your second interview? This is for law right?

Oh really? I thought the average degree in Scotland took about 4 years compared to the 3 years in England.
No this is for science/biology. The second one was Duke University. (Law? no thanks. +o( )

But I've been told that a professional degree takes less time in Scotland.
Here we get our professional degrees 4 years after the first 4 years of undergraduate studies.
Perhaps I may be confused with Scotland's system.

I've been told that in Europe or UK, kids have to take a test at the age of 14 that determines if they will become professionals or the working class. :/ ewww. I love the challenging curriculum in UK and other countries in Europe, but there are such strict career paths.

format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
lol.

American High Schools are full of distraught seniors who got accepted to the school of their dreams, decided to take the last semester off (after all they already got accepted :exhausted ), and then got a new letter saying that their dream school was no longer interested as they flunked out of everything.

Sad for them:cry:

but also kind of like "duh dude, what did you expect"

I'm extremely jealous of early decision applicants who have been accepted. I know 4 people who have got into their dream school already.

Senioritis is a shame, honestly. People who slack off their last semester have a hard time transitioning from high school to college. Especially, if you take APs. Pay attention your last year, there is good chance, your first semester is a lot of review.

Banu_Hashim
01-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been told that in Europe or UK, kids have to take a test at the age of 14 that determines if they will become professionals or the working class. :/
Whaaat. That's ridiculous, whoever made that up.

transition?
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Whaaat. That's ridiculous, whoever made that up.
What about the GCSE or GCSE thing?

transition?
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Weird thing is that I no longer feel nervous about decisions.

Banu_Hashim
02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
What about the GCSE or GCSE thing?
I've never heard of GCSE's being used to determine whether or not you end up in a professional career. Or at age 14 which would be KS3 SATS which no longer exists... hmmm...

crayon
02-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Check this out
Top 4000 universities worldwide

Banu_Hashim
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
^^ Interesting...

I've used this site before. The rankings differ somewhat. I was surprised to see the University of Cambridge at number 28, and the University of Oxford at number 42 on your list...

crayon
02-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I was also surprised to see them so low..
I guess when it comes to rankings like this, there's never going to be one that's totally objective, each will differ in some way..

transition?
02-15-2009, 03:02 AM
Interesting. Ive never seen Yale university low. Neither have i ever seen Emory University below Auburn University ( which is above University of Georgia)

Al-Zaara
02-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Selam aleykum,

How's it going people?

So far I've gotten mails from all the Unis saying they consider me, but last time I checked in my UCAS Track I only saw University of Hull making me a conditional offer. Let's see how things go, I'm doing my 'Ylioppilastutkinto', "Matriculation Examination" at the moment, inshaAllah I'll get good results to help me forward..

Mikayeel
02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Selam aleykum,

How's it going people?

So far I've gotten mails from all the Unis saying they consider me, but last time I checked in my UCAS Track I only saw University of Hull making me a conditional offer. Let's see how things go, I'm doing my 'Ylioppilastutkinto', "Matriculation Examination" at the moment, inshaAllah I'll get good results to help me forward..
sister.. are u applying for unis in the UK??

Al-Zaara
02-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Haha. Yes.. Why so surprised? I'd like to know who'd take me and broaden my possibilities. I'm applying for Unis here in Finland aswell.

Banu_Hashim
02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Well done on your conditional from Hull! What are you applying for?

Al-Zaara
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
JazakAllah kheyr! International Law.

How has it gone for you so far? Chosen anything just yet?

Banu_Hashim
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Oh I see... I've always been interested in politics of any kind. Hopefully I might take some extra classes :) InshAllah, I'll be doing Neuroscience at Bristol. They've given me a conditional offer for ABB. Your Matriculation exam sounds quite confusing. Is it equivalent to A-Levels? What do you need to get for your course?

Mikayeel
02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Haha. Yes.. Why so surprised? I'd like to know who'd take me and broaden my possibilities. I'm applying for Unis here in Finland aswell.
lool, Noo i just didnt think u would apply for uni's here in rainy england. but its kwl, always have ur possibilities as broad as u can stretch them :)

What are u applying for if i may ask ?

Al-Zaara
02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow, mashaAllah brother, sounds fancy! InshaAllah you'll pass and have a good time there.

Yeah... Finland is different. Yes, it's equivalence is the UK's A-levels.

I have to pass my 'Ylioppilastutkinto' with 5 or better overall, have a pass in English, send my results to the institution Admissions Office and then the overseas fees. Heh.

Mikayeel - I've applied for the following 5...

International Law in University of Hull,
International Law & International Politics and Peace & Conflict Studies in London Metropolitan University
International Law in Kingston University
European Law in Aberystwyth University
Law with International Politics in Aberystwyth University

Finland can be rainy too. :D

Banu_Hashim
02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
:skeleton: How much are they making you pay?... I know British Universities are quite evil in regards to fees for International Students :raging:

Mikayeel
02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
:skeleton: How much are they making you pay?... I know British Universities are quite evil in regards to fees for International Students :raging:
VErrryyy evil!,, they like them,

Al-Zaara
02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Haha... Something around 3000 pounds I believe, possibly more. Didn't state the exact sum there yet.

Ar-RaYYan
02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
but she is not 'international student' but from Europe so she will pay the same fee as us which is i think 3225 pound

Ar-RaYYan
02-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, mashaAllah brother, sounds fancy! InshaAllah you'll pass and have a good time there.

Yeah... Finland is different. Yes, it's equivalence is the UK's A-levels.

I have to pass my 'Ylioppilastutkinto' with 5 or better overall, have a pass in English, send my results to the institution Admissions Office and then the overseas fees. Heh.

Mikayeel - I've applied for the following 5...

International Law in University of Hull,
International Law & International Politics and Peace & Conflict Studies in London Metropolitan University
International Law in Kingston University
European Law in Aberystwyth University
Law with International Politics in Aberystwyth University

Finland can be rainy too. :D
i was going to apply that degree in that university but at last minute decided not to

Banu_Hashim
02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
but she is not 'international student' but from Europe so she will pay the same fee as us which is i think 3225 pound
oh really? I thought anyone outside the UK was considered an "international student". My bad. I guess it includes EU then.

transition?
02-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Selam aleykum,

How's it going people?

I spent like at least 5 minutes trying to pronounce that word. imsad

transition?
02-21-2009, 02:42 AM

It's makes so angry/frustrated when I hear student from other countries pay so little for the college education. 3225!?!?! The usual is 40 to 50,000 here.
Lots of the scholarships use lottery money for funding.

+o(

I'm gonna definitely have to get some rich job. :skeleton:

Al-Zaara
02-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I spent like at least 5 minutes trying to pronounce that word. imsad
Don't. You're dealing with one of the most diffiult languages in the world. :D

The usual is 40 to 50,000 here.
Is that the tuition fee only? And then they also gotta pay for their accomodation etc.?

I'm gonna definitely have to get some rich job. :skeleton:
Almost anything can make you rich these days, I believe your chances aren't as low as you might think. :D

The Ruler
02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Wah. I got an unsuccessful from UCL a few days ago. I think I'm getting drunk on my loss of options/offers. Sigh.

Banu_Hashim
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
I got an unsuccessful from Bristol and Cardiff too..

The Ruler
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I got an unsuccessful from Bristol and Cardiff too..
Which ones do you have remaining? I have yet to hear from Cardiff. But of course, at a time like now, I can't hope for much. Sigh.

Banu_Hashim
02-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Which ones do you have remaining? I have yet to hear from Cardiff. But of course, at a time like now, I can't hope for much. Sigh.
I second that sigh. I have yet to hear from Leeds (dentistry).

Al-Hanbali
02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
:salamext:

QMUL inshaAllaah...

The Ruler
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
^That's Queen Mary's? For what course?

Al-Hanbali
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
^ yhh... Biomed Sci ..

The Ruler
02-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I see. I got an offer for the same course there. But I'd rather take a gap year and re-apply next year if Cardiff fails.

What were your other 4 applications?

*Yasmin*
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
i applied for biotechnology
and in another uni i applied for pharmacy
In shaa' Allah

i'm waiting ..............................

Al-Zaara
03-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Elhamdulillah, I've gotten 2 more conditional offers...

From Kingston University and London Metropolitan University. =)

Has anyone else got updates?

The Ruler
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Heh, if I don't hear from the universities at the end of this week, I know it's a rejection even though I won't see that in my UCAS before the end of this month. I might've gone cynical, but I think I'll manage. Sigh.

Al-Zaara
03-03-2009, 09:07 PM
InshaAllah, you'll soon hear from them and get positive news. Cynical is good, it protects you from major disappointments.

Banu_Hashim
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Elhamdulillah, I've gotten 2 more conditional offers...

From Kingston University and London Metropolitan University. =)

Has anyone else got updates?
Mashallah, well done! Where are you thinking about going...?

Banu_Hashim
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Heh, if I don't hear from the universities at the end of this week, I know it's a rejection even though I won't see that in my UCAS before the end of this month. I might've gone cynical, but I think I'll manage. Sigh.
Don't worry The Ruler, you'll hear some good news (InshAllah) soon enough. :D

transition?
03-04-2009, 01:02 AM
^^^ This is a little off topic, but where is your avatar from? Is it computer art work?

Al-Zaara
03-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Mashallah, well done! Where are you thinking about going...?
Thanks! I think I'd prefer Hull over Kingston...

I remember when choosing together with a friend, we chose five unis from less demanding to most demanding (that had the International Lawconditions are actually more demanding than Hull's, at least for me. Hehe. courses).

Hull was in our opinion, after slight researching, more demanding than Kingston. For example, it is also ranked higher than Kingston. Yet now I see that Kingston's conditions are much higher than Hull's.

Banu_Hashim
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM
^^^ This is a little off topic, but where is your avatar from? Is it computer art work?
It's not my personal Art work (I wish). It's an image I had on the comp, from where I can't remember; a google search I thinkk.

aadil77
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know anything about switching unis after some time to get into the uni you actually wanted to go to, after getting a rejection from them?

Because I want to get into Warick and have been rejected by them. I heard that once you get into uni, if you have valid reasons you may be allowed to change uni.

Intisar
03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know anything about switching unis after some time to get into the uni you actually wanted to go to, after getting a rejection from them?

Because I want to get into Warick and have been rejected by them. I heard that once you get into uni, if you have valid reasons you may be allowed to change uni.
:sl: Apply as a transfer student inshaAllaah.

youngsister
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Zaara if you going to Kingston I might see you, I might do my postgraduate course there isha allah.:D

Muhammad
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM

I know someone who has applied to Warwick for medicine and they need to attend a 'selection centre'. Does anyone have information about what they have to do there?

May Allaah (swt) give you all what He knows to be best for you, Aameen.

aadil77
03-04-2009, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

I know someone who has applied to Warwick for medicine and they need to attend a 'selection centre'. Does anyone have information about what they have to do there?

May Allaah (swt) give you all what He knows to be best for you, Aameen.
I don't know about a selection centre, medicine is quite difficult to get into so they probably have to go through selection

But I have a friend who had a informal interview for MORSE at Warick and he was given an offer straight away

aadil77
03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:sl: Apply as a transfer student inshaAllaah.
Whats that? I've applied normally through ucas and have been rejected

Don't have a clue what to do next

Intisar
03-04-2009, 11:07 PM

Go to another university and then apply there as a transfer student for the same program. They'll look at your marks and they might just accept you. It's easier than stressing over exams and the best university to get into, when you can just go to another and then apply again but at a transfer student's level. Basically, you're trying to transfer into that school.

Al-Zaara
03-05-2009, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister

Zaara if you going to Kingston I might see you, I might do my postgraduate course there isha allah.:D
Ooooh! One more point for Kingston. :D

If I do end up studying in London, I'm going to set dates to meet up with many LI sisters. :D

youngsister
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Ooooh! One more point for Kingston. :D

If I do end up studying in London, I'm going to set dates to meet up with many LI sisters. :D

Definetly, let me know where you going to end up going:statisfie

Ar-RaYYan
03-05-2009, 12:00 PM

have you tried Extra? and if you are flexible you could go through clearing for the same university but slightly different course?

by the way does anyone know the deadline for university to reply back? i need to do my finance application as soon as possible but i cant do that without my first choice relying back.

aadil77
03-05-2009, 04:51 PM
have you tried Extra? and if you are flexible you could go through clearing for the same university but slightly different course?

by the way does anyone know the deadline for university to reply back? i need to do my finance application as soon as possible but i cant do that without my first choice relying back.
Deadline is 31st March

I can't afford to go through extra then loose my other decent offers and get into some wasteman course, my mum will kill me

Banu_Hashim
03-07-2009, 10:58 PM

I think the deadline for everyone to reply to their offers in 4th May. So by end of April, you'll definitely hear from all of your unis!

~Raynn~
03-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Heyy, so how's everything going? :)

Have you guys all heard back from almost everywhere?? Guess it'll be time to make our decisions, soon...

Ar-RaYYan
03-26-2009, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Raynn~
Heyy, so how's everything going? :)

Have you guys all heard back from almost everywhere?? Guess it'll be time to make our decisions, soon...
yh i have heard from all of them -all gave me offers. but now im not sure which one to make my firm and insurance ones.

and i think i might go through Extra or clearing! im not sure. anywas if you want to go through Extra do you have to decline all your offers? am i eligible to use Extra even if i have used all my five choices?

crayon
03-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Ahh it's most likely marketing for me.. Which isn't too bad I guess, it was my second choice to start with.

My summer is going to be so completely messed up though, going back and forth to do all sorts of exams; admission exams, and different exams so I can skip some basic courses, and registering. Meh. Alhamdullilah.

ayan333
03-26-2009, 06:12 PM

well im graduating in two months InshALLAH.....May 20th to be exact

i decided i need to learn all the thing si can learn here before i go abaord and study Deen at Al-Azhar university InshALLAH

i need to be fluent in Arabic
memorize the Arba'ene,40 Hadith of Imam Nawai's collection

...theres alot to be done..im so eager tho.....im trying not to rush it,buts its soooo exciting

crayon
03-26-2009, 07:18 PM

well im graduating in two months InshALLAH.....May 20th to be exact

i decided i need to learn all the thing si can learn here before i go abaord and study Deen at Al-Azhar university InshALLAH
Oooh, my grad is on the exact same day! What a coincidence.:)

Did you apply to al azhar yet sis? That's so cool mashaAllah, inshaAllah it will be awesome.

ayan333
03-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Oooh, my grad is on the exact same day! What a coincidence.:)

Did you apply to al azhar yet sis? That's so cool mashaAllah, inshaAllah it will be awesome.

o really how nice lol

where do u live

no i havnt applied but i will very soon InshALLAH

The Ruler
03-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I just got my last rejection yesterday. Yay.

Subarashii.

aadil77
03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I just got my last rejection yesterday. Yay.

Subarashii.
I got my last offer, but still got 2 rejections from where I really wanted to go

The Ruler
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I only got one offer. One I rejected because I decided not to do that course... And all my medical applications have been rejected. Tch. Their loss, not mine.

~Raynn~
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
^^ Definitely...achh, from what I've seen of my friends' experiences, the medicine admissions procedures seem totally whacked...ah well...

So, are you planning on going ahead with the biomedical science??

The Ruler
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Depends on my final grades. If I manage to pull off 3As or 2As and a B, then a gap year is my call. If I sleep through my exams, then it's BioMed for me. I'd prefer the gap year though. It'd give me time to get the work experience plus read lots of manga and watch lots of anime and learn lots of japanese.

I kid.

transition?
03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
I think I need a huggie : (.
But I need some firm advice, I need to get my act back together.

The Ruler
03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I can't give you a hug, but I might be able to advise you depending on what exactly you need advise on. What do you mean by "get my act back together"?

transition?
03-27-2009, 12:51 AM
I can't give you a hug, but I might be able to advise you depending on what exactly you need advise on. What do you mean by "get my act back together"?
I'm a staunch procrastinator. I really do try fighting it. what happens is that I'll be on a good track every other month. I do well, slack, do well, slack. *sigh* :exhausted

ayan333
03-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a staunch procrastinator. I really do try fighting it. what happens is that I'll be on a good track every other month. I do well, slack, do well, slack. *sigh* :exhausted

^^^ girl are you serious!!!!!

let me tell you a little somthing about this sister...she's a genius!!!!!

she got into two of the top schools in our region and she complains about being a slacker..if u get any smarter i think ill have to..i dont no what ill do but girl ur blesses MashALLAH

o ya i have advice for you..relax!!! and study the deen...i swear you'll feel something youve never felt before

go A#$%#^a

transition?
03-28-2009, 01:58 AM

^^^ girl are you serious!!!!!

let me tell you a little somthing about this sister...she's a genius!!!!!

she got into two of the top schools in our region and she complains about being a slacker..if u get any smarter i think ill have to..i dont no what ill do but girl ur blesses MashALLAH

o ya i have advice for you..relax!!! and study the deen...i swear you'll feel something youve never felt before

go A#$%#^a

LOL LIES. you're just as smart and hard working! Mrs. I gotta win because I know I'm that good at Islamic and tafsir studies

I want to study the deen so badly. But I know I'll never be a good speaker or that great of a dawah giver, not even closer to a scholar. I'm definitely not blessed that way lol.

transition?
03-28-2009, 02:00 AM
The LIST

Duke - rejected
WashU in St. Louis - waitlisted :offended:
Vanderbilt - waitlisted :offended:
John Hopkins - rejected. :offended:
Univ. of Georgia - accepted
Georgia Tech - accepted
Boston University - accepted.

Brown comes out tomorrow. ( I secretly really hope some miracle occurs and I get in there. :playing: InshaAllah)

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 09:23 AM
^Hey, well done on all your "accepted's" ! :).

All the best with Brown, InshAllah it'll be fine....

~Raynn~
03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Woww, that's one pretty amazing list...congratulations again on all the acceptances! :happy:

And yup, good luck with Brown!!

ayan333
03-28-2009, 02:56 PM
The LIST

Duke - rejected
WashU in St. Louis - waitlisted :offended:
John Hopkins - rejected. :offended:
Univ. of Georgia - accepted
Georgia Tech - accepted
Boston University - accepted.

Brown comes out tomorrow. ( I secretly really hope some miracle occurs and I get in there. :playing: InshaAllah)

your proving me right smart one!

amazing list MashALLAH..and if you dont get into Brown then...its their lost not yours!

o your alot smarter then you think you are when it comes to the Deen!..trust me when i say that...you dont have to be giving Dawah vocaly (if thats how u spell it lol)

your good at writing ect..trust me you can do it!

btw way your comming to Nationals with is right!???..InshALLAH

transition?
03-28-2009, 04:33 PM

your proving me right smart one!

amazing list MashALLAH..and if you dont get into Brown then...its their lost not yours!

o your alot smarter then you think you are when it comes to the Deen!..trust me when i say that...you dont have to be giving Dawah vocaly (if thats how u spell it lol)

your good at writing ect..trust me you can do it!

btw way your comming to Nationals with is right!???..InshALLAH

Trust me when I say you're just as smart.

I don't about Nationals yet, I might be going to India summer. :playing:

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM

Trust me when I say you're just as smart.

I don't about Nationals yet, I might be going to India summer. :playing:
Have fun with the mosquitos!!.. :D... I got bitten so badly last time I went.

The Ruler
03-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Banu_Hashim, have you got all your replies yet?

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Banu_Hashim, have you got all your replies yet?
Yeah I have. Rejections from all dental schools. :(.... And 2 offers (neuroscience and biomed)

What about you?

Ar-RaYYan
03-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah I have. Rejections from all dental schools. :(.... And 2 offers (neuroscience and biomed)

What about you?
so what will you do?

The Ruler
03-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Rejections from all medicine. Only the BioMed offer since I rejected Optometry.

chacha_jalebi
03-28-2009, 11:39 PM
anyone applyin for a masters?

god i feel old:embarrass

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM
so what will you do?
Um.. Well, I think I'll either reapply providing I get really good grades, or do Neuroscience.

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Rejections from all medicine. Only the BioMed offer since I rejected Optometry.
Oh right. That's Biomed at Queen's right? Have you replied to them or not yet?

Ar-RaYYan
03-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Um.. Well, I think I'll either reapply providing I get really good grades, or do Neuroscience.
reapplying do you mean through clearing or staying next year in college?
what do you think of Extra?

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 11:48 PM
reapplying do you mean through clearing or staying next year in college?
what do you think of Extra?
Basically just reapply for 2010 entry with my A-levels already done. I'm pretty sure there are no places for dentistry (or medicine) in extra :p. I'd be surprised if there were! And I'm not really sure how extra works... :S

The Ruler
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Oh right. That's Biomed at Queen's right? Have you replied to them or not yet?
Yup... I'm just waiting for all the official rejections to come through. I just got a letter so far.

~Raynn~
03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
yh i have heard from all of them -all gave me offers. but now im not sure which one to make my firm and insurance ones.

and i think i might go through Extra or clearing! im not sure. anywas if you want to go through Extra do you have to decline all your offers? am i eligible to use Extra even if i have used all my five choices?
Yup, I think you're eligible if you've declined all your offers... and from what I understand, you can keep adding one additional choice at a time (if you decide to reject the first offer you get through extra, you can use it again to apply for another...)
But, how come?? You changed your mind about the universities you applied to?

format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
anyone applyin for a masters?
Well, technically...the course I applied for awards a masters at the end of the 4 yrs, lol...:D

Ar-RaYYan
03-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Yup, I think you're eligible if you've declined all your offers... and from what I understand, you can keep adding one additional choice at a time (if you decide to reject the first offer you get through extra, you can use it again to apply for another...)
But, how come?? You changed your mind about the universities you applied to?
its not the universities but my course! I have got this feeling that i have chosen the wrong course. I really dont want to regret what i have chosen three years later!

what about you? what have you applied for and which universities?

~Raynn~
03-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Right, I see!...Of course, definitely make sure you're going for the right thing...
Ummm, I applied for engineering... at bristol, bath, imperial, durham and cambridge... I got all five back, and if all goes well in may/june, I might be going to cambridge next year... :statisfie

Ar-RaYYan
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
wow thats great!! :D

good luck with your exams!

transition?
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Right, I see!...Of course, definitely make sure you're going for the right thing...
Ummm, I applied for engineering... at bristol, bath, imperial, durham and cambridge... I got all five back, and if all goes well in may/june, I might be going to cambridge next year... :statisfie
MashAllah!
: ) i'll bet you'll be putting your algorithms to use there!

~Raynn~
03-30-2009, 04:55 PM
wow thats great!! :D

good luck with your exams!
Thankss ...and you too! Good luck on deciding on your course...so what are you now thinking of??

MashAllah!
: ) i'll bet you'll be putting your algorithms to use there!
Lol, indeed!...although I think there's a lot of them especially in like, computer science and all, and I'm not sure that's where I wanna specialize...
I'm hoping for lots and lots of calculus, though... ;D

elee
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
what engineering? imo girls and engineering don't get along very well :D

~Raynn~
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elee
what engineering? imo girls and engineering don't get along very well :D
:offended:

Lol, is that so? How come??

Wellll, I have several female friends and relatives who've studied engineering themselves, and so far have pretty good careers...as a specialized engineering consultant or whatever, you're paid fairly well, and with flexible working hours - much more so than medicine, for example (my mom's a doctor, so I have some sense of how demanding that can be...to balance both family and such a career...yet, medicine is usually seen as wayy better for girls...)

The whole 'girls in engineering' thing is made a much bigger deal here than even in like, india for example... atleast in my experience... Anyway, lol, I didn't really consider much of this before I decided on the subject...I just liked maths and physics, and didn't wanna study them in a solely theoretical/ research-oriented way =) .....okayyy, I'm gonna stop now, this is sounding a little too much like my personal statement, lolll...

As to which branch, I applied for electrical & electronic engineering in most places, but with cambridge, I don't have to decide till the third year...I'm wavering between aeronautical and electronic...

So, did you do/will you be doing engineering yourself, or...?

Al-Zaara
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
That's awesome, Raynn! Engineering is a very interesting field to work in. InshaAllah you'll be successful!

Banu_Hashim
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Wellll, I have several female friends and relatives who've studied engineering themselves, and so far have pretty good careers...as a specialized engineering consultant or whatever, you're paid fairly well, and with flexible working hours - much more so than medicine, for example (my mom's a doctor, so I have some sense of how demanding that can be...to balance both family and such a career...yet, medicine is usually seen as wayy better for girls...)
:rolleyes:... Engineers and Doctors... is that all you indians think about being ?:p

~Raynn~
03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
That's awesome, Raynn! Engineering is a very interesting field to work in. InshaAllah you'll be successful!
Thanks! :D
You applied for law? How cool!!...so what's your final choice gonna be?

:rolleyes:... Engineers and Doctors... is that all you indians think about being ?:p
:giggling: "You indians", lol...ahhh right! And neuroscience/dentistry is sooo totally unrelated, of course...

Banu_Hashim
03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Of course! Just to name one difference.... they're much better. :D

~Raynn~
03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
^Engineering and medicine, you mean? Sure! :)

~;D~

Banu_Hashim
03-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Noo, the other way around I'm afraid. :shade:

~Raynn~
03-30-2009, 08:44 PM
:exhausted ......*sigh*

Whatever you sayy... :)

The Ruler
03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Well done on getting all your offers, Raynn. =]

elee
03-31-2009, 08:00 AM
in my country every arab(no indians here, so i can't speak bout them) i know is doctor, dentist or pharmacist, so when i read this topic i was really not surprised by choice of professions here..:D

@raynn - it's probably made "big deal" cause i.e. in computer science/elect. eng. mostly guys are the geeks, then civil, construction, mechanical are considered like male jobs etc. and yeah I'm in engineering also.

transition?
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Thankss ...and you too! Good luck on deciding on your course...so what are you now thinking of??

Lol, indeed!...although I think there's a lot of them especially in like, computer science and all, and I'm not sure that's where I wanna specialize...
I'm hoping for lots and lots of calculus, though... ;D
I got waitlisted for my liberal arts schools. I got into one of the best engineering schools, but i'm really nervous about it. It's really tempting, but I'm afraid that I won't be skilled enough. :/ i'd probably have work uber hard, but in the back of my mind, i think it might be worth it : $. But i'd have to work hard to review old math stuff. But but i'm really afraid, my sister did the same thing and she ended up dropping the school and transferring. Would i be upto it?:offended:
I'm waiting for 2 more schools and if I don't get in, i will be doing biomedical engineering or i could go to another alright school : $ . I'm so scared i won't pass. The engineering school has a huge dropout rate, i don' want to fail :$ my first year in uni . Gaaaaaah,im scared .

~Raynn~
04-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I got waitlisted for my liberal arts schools. I got into one of the best engineering schools, but i'm really nervous about it. It's really tempting, but I'm afraid that I won't be skilled enough. :/ i'd probably have work uber hard, but in the back of my mind, i think it might be worth it : $. But i'd have to work hard to review old math stuff. But but i'm really afraid, my sister did the same thing and she ended up dropping the school and transferring. Would i be upto it?:offended:
I'm waiting for 2 more schools and if I don't get in, i will be doing biomedical engineering or i could go to another alright school : $ . I'm so scared i won't pass. The engineering school has a huge dropout rate, i don' want to fail :$ my first year in uni . Gaaaaaah,im scared .
I would definitely go for it!

For one thing, the fact that the school chose to give you an offer obviously meant they saw you as someone more than capable/skilled enough to cope with the course...that should definitely mean something to you :happy:.
And you're pretty much gonna have to work hard no matter what you do...that can't scare you off, lol...

Of course, wait until you hear back from everywhere...it may be that one of your other choices simply appeals more to you by then... you'll make the right decision =)

transition?
04-07-2009, 02:46 AM
It really sucks how expensive schools are here. I don't want to take a ribba infested loan :/.

Rayn thank you so much !
But I'm gonna go ahead and wait b/c I'd like to go a liberal arts place because I've realized it's essential to me.

LOL I've never felt so undecided.

ayesha309
04-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Ahh it's most likely marketing for me.. Which isn't too bad I guess, it was my second choice to start with.

My summer is going to be so completely messed up though, going back and forth to do all sorts of exams; admission exams, and different exams so I can skip some basic courses, and registering. Meh. Alhamdullilah.
so you are not going for journalism? i wanted to do that, but i don't know why i didn't. I had applied to American uni of Sharjah as well, got accepted but didn't go. now im at U of T with one year left INsha'Allah. im still considering going to Ryerson for journalism after finishing U of T.

~Raynn~
04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
It really sucks how expensive schools are here. I don't want to take a ribba infested loan :/.
Hmm...and it stinks that the better the uni is, the more you have to pay...in the uk, the fees are the same wherever you go, for home students anyway...

Rayn thank you so much !
But I'm gonna go ahead and wait b/c I'd like to go a liberal arts place because I've realized it's essential to me.

LOL I've never felt so undecided.
Lol, that's okay, sounds like you have a plan...btw, what exactly is a liberal arts college?? I'm totally unfamilar with the different classifications of universities there, lol...

crayon
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayesha309
so you are not going for journalism? i wanted to do that, but i don't know why i didn't. I had applied to American uni of Sharjah as well, got accepted but didn't go. now im at U of T with one year left INsha'Allah. im still considering going to Ryerson for journalism after finishing U of T.
Nope unfortunately, it's not offered here, and the AUS idea is out of the question, because it would mean I would have to go alone.

What you studying now?
Ryerson is absolutely great for journalism, I hear, the best in Canada supposedly.. InshaAllah you go!:thumbs_up

Al-Zaara
04-08-2009, 07:53 AM
You applied for law? How cool!!...so what's your final choice gonna be?
International law and human rights, inshaAllah. I have no idea what I'm going to choose... Right now I should be studying for the entry-exam to Helsinki. I'm waiting for the literature for the entry-exam to come, and it made my wallet scream when I checked the prices. One book was I think around 150€!! :skeleton: No wonder students are poor.

Ar-RaYYan
04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
International law and human rights, inshaAllah. I have no idea what I'm going to choose... Right now I should be studying for the entry-exam to Helsinki. I'm waiting for the literature for the entry-exam to come, and it made my wallet scream when I checked the prices. One book was I think around 150€!! :skeleton: No wonder students are poor.
Sis when u finish your degree what are you going to do?a lawyer?

Al-Zaara
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Sis when u finish your degree what are you going to do?a lawyer?
Probably, so I've planned so far. What's important to me is that I study something I like, inshaAllah and I'll find a job that fits it later.

ayesha309
04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Nope unfortunately, it's not offered here, and the AUS idea is out of the question, because it would mean I would have to go alone.

What you studying now?
Ryerson is absolutely great for journalism, I hear, the best in Canada supposedly.. InshaAllah you go!:thumbs_up
Currently I'm studying Political Science:enough!: I thought it to be closest to journalism, but currently I've hit the stage where I find it absurdly theoretical and excruitatingly uninteresting. Alhamdulillah I'm almost done!

Banu_Hashim
04-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Currently I'm studying Political Science:enough!: I thought it to be closest to journalism, but currently I've hit the stage where I find it absurdly theoretical and excruitatingly uninteresting. Alhamdulillah I'm almost done!
That reminds me when I asked two different people, graduates now, what they liked best about their course and they both said the same thing "Finishing". lol.

crayon
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Ooh I see. I've always wondered if it would be too much of a problem for me to do journalism, seeing as I loathe politics..:><:
Alhamdullilah you've reached the end though, inshaAllah having a degree in journalism as well as political science would be great, they can be very complementary to each other.

wth1257
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Ooh I see. I've always wondered if it would be too much of a problem for me to do journalism, seeing as I loathe politics..:><:
Alhamdullilah you've reached the end though, inshaAllah having a degree in journalism as well as political science would be great, they can be very complementary to each other.

I don't know you very well but from what I've seen of your posts it's hard to place you in marketing. I don't mean to stearotype but that seems like something one's boring uncle does.

Also, what exactly does marketing do? I've never really understood this. :-[

crayon
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Lol! Haha, that made me laugh.:D
For some reason online I come off a bit different than who I am in real life, no idea why..

Marketing sounds boring, but it's actually interesting.. to me anyway.
It's basically "the commercial processes involved in promoting and selling and distributing a product or service" (google definition)
The way I think of it, it's getting people to buy your service/product. Why should I buy Cheetos and not Doritos?
The Cheetos people have to market their product effectively, find out what people want, how to persuade them to buy what they don't need, make it more appealing to them, where is the target customer, who is the target customer..
It's basically business with a sort of creative twist. You also have to be able to understand people, and persuade them.

Anyway, marketing is good for me, for several reasons.. It works really well with who I am personality wise, I get people, and am great at getting them to listen to what I say. Plus, I'm creative. On pretty much every single career test I've done, it has suggested sales & marketing for me, followed closely by something either related to writing, or the arts.
The only thing that gets me down about marketing is the idea of an office job. And having a boss. Urgh.

BUT inshaAllah, this will help me out when, in the future, I start my own business.. I've actually started planning it already..:statisfie

~Raynn~
04-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Mmmm, Cheetos. They don't sell them here, atleast not in the "flamin' hot" flavour I used to get... :(
On topic, lol, marketing sounds like an incredibly cool career...although subjects like business/commerce have always scared me a little - I don't have much of a creative or risk-taking streak, and having a boss works just fine for me, lol...

Good luck with your future business, though! :D ...Any ideas what kind??

crayon
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
It's rare to find the flamin' hot kind here either (love them, they turn my fingers red, lol), but we do get the crunchy kind, which is almost as good.
Thanks! As for ideas, I've got dozens, it's just a matter of narrowing them down, and figuring out what will actually work and what won't. Oh, and that tiny, insignificant detail of financing it, of course..:p

Ar-RaYYan
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
have any of your guys filled in that financial application form yet?

crayon
04-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Sooo, major change of plans...Alhamdullilah.

Journalism, here I come, inshaAllah!:D

Al-Hanbali
04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
have any of your guys filled in that financial application form yet?
Nope! I've kinda registered with them though...

It's just all a bit tedious I have to say...you have to fill out application first, and then get your parents to sign up as well etc

Ar-RaYYan
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
Nope! I've kinda registered with them though...

It's just all a bit tedious I have to say...you have to fill out application first, and then get your parents to sign up as well etc
have you seen how long its? :exhausted that just put me off !
btw are you going to do it through online ?

Nihila
04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Salaams...

Are you talking about the PN1 form? It looks looong, but it actually isnt that bad. You find that its all simple stuff, and if youre going for non-income assessed stuff, you dont have to fill out a lot of it.

Eek, funding is not fun!

Al-Hanbali
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
have you seen how long its? :exhausted that just put me off !
btw are you going to do it through online ?
^ yup....online inshaAllaah.

transition?
04-30-2009, 08:37 PM
=P. Financial Aid *phew* my dad filled out for me.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO DECIDE!!!!!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH important life changing decision X DISTRESS X SWEAT X LITTLE SLEEP X EXAMS = imminent nervous breakdown

Banu_Hashim
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
=P. Financial Aid *phew* my dad filled out for me.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO DECIDE!!!!!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH important life changing decision X DISTRESS X SWEAT X LITTLE SLEEP X EXAMS = imminent nervous breakdown
Don't worry Transition! You'll be fine InshAllah... I've also got exams (as do other ppl on this forum I think) , i'm sure we'll do great InshAllah ta'la... University stuff all ok ?

BoredAgnostic
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm at a crossroad right now...

I've applied to Virginia Commonwealth University, and I'm pretty much 100% sure I will make it in for the 2009 Fall semester (considering how low the recommended GPA is). I know its a mediocre school and will most likely hurt my chances getting into a tier 1 Medical school, School of Pharmacy, or P.A., especially since I'm transferring from a Community College.
VCU is probably a good deal cheaper then the University of Virginia, but I know the quality of my education will be considerably better at UVA. I don't know if I should just finish up my credits and get my associate's degree at my community college, then apply to UVA in the Spring. Or..if I should just cut my losses and go to VCU and use every resource and opportunity and make the most of my stay there for the rest of my undergraduate schooling.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.