/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taking my Husband's name

AnonymousPoster
11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
My husband wants me to take on his name, eventhough I have read somewhere that this is not allowed is Islam, is this correct?
I even said to him that I dont think Islam permits it and he went off on one saying that hes telling me to change name so I should do as he says. Its very difficult to make him understand, he says the internet is lying..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ilm.seeker
11-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Assalam alaikum,
please check this post.It is already answered.

http://www.islamicboard.com/family-s...tml#post904658

Al-Zaara
11-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I find his attitude rather disturbing, "you do as I say", and you were only being cautious if it is haram or not, he should be happy you care about the Islamic side of it.

There is difference of opinions here aswell, it is not seen as haram if you read this: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544198

Or this: http://hanafifiqh.blogspot.com/2008/...n-to-take.html

Do you follow a madhhab? Maybe you could ask knowledgable around you regarding your madhhab's position, or your Imam or scholar.

- Qatada -
11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
:salamext:

You can't change your name because you have to have your fathers name as your surname.

The concept of changing your surname is by the disbelievers who actually make the woman seem inferior, by her marrying him - she 'becomes' his property, so she loses her fathers name. In Islam, we keep our fathers name as our surname so people are aware who the father is of that son/daughter.

Imagine someone changed their surname, people may get confused - 'is this person the daughter of their husband?' or something similar.

Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I dont have my dads surname, when i was named, i was given the surname that runs in the family for most gals, should I still not change to husbands name.. Anyone got books that state this so I can show husband?

doorster
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I find his attitude rather disturbing, "you do as I say", and you were only being cautious if it is haram or not, he should be happy you care about the Islamic side of it.

There is difference of opinions here aswell,it is not seen as haram if you read this: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544198

Or this: http://hanafifiqh.blogspot.com/2008/...n-to-take.html

Do you follow a madhhab? Maybe you could ask knowledgable around you regarding your madhhab's position, or your Imam or scholar.
jazakillah khair!!
:w:
You can't change your name because you have to have your fathers name as your surname.

The concept of changing your surname is by the disbelievers who actually make the woman seem inferior, by her marrying him - she 'becomes' his property, so she loses her fathers name. In Islam, we keep our fathers name as our surname so people are aware who the father is of that son/daughter.

Imagine someone changed their surname, people may get confused - 'is this person the daughter of their husband?' or something similar.
What is actually forbidden in Islam is that a person refers to him/herself as the son or daughter of someone other than the real biological father.

Al-Zaara
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
What is actually forbidden in Islam is that a person refers to him/herself as the son or daughter of someone other than the real biological father.
That is how I have understood it too. JazakAllah kheyr bro...

People do not get confused when you change your lastname after marrying, that's really an odd thing to state. When they want to know who your father is, or mother, you state their names. Rather would it be more odd of a thing if you say you are married but your wife/husband has another lastname. But then again, it has become more common to keep your own name aswell, which means both ways goes (changing and keeping) in many places, it isn't against the customs. And it is not haram. You are not denying your lineage, just as it is not obligatory to have a "Muslim" name (as soom mean, Arabic) 'cause as long as it has a good meaning, it doesn't make you less of a Muslim.
When you change it is often to just feel you two are a family now, 'cause the kids get the fathers name in many cases, so Mum having another lastname would feel odd to some... Again, it is not haram as long as you are not denyingyour lineage.

Sister, can you explain further, how can you not have your father's lastname? Or is it your mother's?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.