/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 10-year-old girl's inspiring story opens eyes

arabianprincess
11-26-2008, 05:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nujood Ali, a 10-year old Yemeni girl, and her lawyer Shada Nasser leave the stage after being honored at the Glamour Women of the Year awards.

The most talked about honoree of the 2008 Glamour Women of the Year awards was a small child of 10. Nujood Ali, who flew all the way from her native Yemen for the ritzy Carnegie Hall gala, was married off by impoverished parents to a 30-year-old man who raped and abused her.

Her father, who drew an annual salary equivalent to $900, had 18 children and couldn't afford to clothe and feed Ali so he gave her up for marriage. Though her older husband promised to wait years before becoming intimate with his child bride, he beat her and raped her on their wedding night. Ali had enough.

Taking a solo trip to a Yemen courthouse, she sat until a judge took notice and heard her pleas for help. After the lawyer linked her up with a human rights lawyer named Shada Nasser, the brave girl became the country's first child bride to legally end her marriage with a divorce.

"I didn't like my husband so my stepmother told me if I wasn't happy, I should go to court," Ali told The Daily News through a translator. "But no one was willing to take me. So I went on my own."

Praise for the pint-sized hero was flowing from some of the biggest names at Monday night's ceremony.

During her own acceptance speech, Senator Hillary Clinton told the audience, "one of the greatest women I have ever seen is Nujood. She set an example with her courage I hope will continue to challenge all of us."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told The News, "I can't wait to meet [Ali]. What an incredible story. That's going to be a great inspiration to talk to her."

Glamour Editor in Chief Cindy Leive said, "how Nujood got the courage to do that at the age of nine, I'll never know. Sometimes you feel like some people are born to change the world and when I met her, I thought, 'You're one of them.'"

"It's my first time in New York City," Ali told The News. "I went to the Museum of Natural History, and to Central Park and I went on a cruise in the river. That was my favorite.

http://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5113 if u wanna see her pic.

heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY4lBbswjTk

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
K.Venugopal
11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
She is undoubtedly a courageous little girl. She deserves every honour she can get.

Güven
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
:salamext:
Aww MashaAllah , May Allah Bless her and Make thing easy for her !

Faith.
11-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow she's extremely brave.
May Allah bless her little soul

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
arabianprincess
11-26-2008, 08:02 PM
salam wa 3lykom

indeed shes brave .. and im sooo proud of her for standing up for her self.. which not many do. inshallah this is a new change and a start for my country.

and as for the picture .. i dont know wats wrong with my computer i cant post pic by paste and copy i know its weird. but yeah i mean shes young .. y would i hide it. salamz

Ar-RaYYan
11-26-2008, 08:19 PM
wow!masahallah :statisfie what a role-model!
Good for her!!

Zahida
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
:sl:SUBHAANALLAH.................imsad but :statisfie that the little angel has a better prospect of life now....................Ameen:):w:

Olive
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Masha'Allah, very brave.

May Allah keep her in His care. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.