/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religious charities meet to explore work with other faiths

glo
11-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Christian, Jewish and Islamic charities will gather next week to debate how best faith-based organisations can work in communities of other religions across the world.

The unprecedented collaboration between Christian Aid, World Jewish Relief and Islamic Relief is being hosted by the Woolf Institute of Abrahamic Faiths in Cambridge on 1st and 2nd December.

[...]

Daleep Mukarji, director of Christian Aid, said: "Global poverty is not a Christian issue, but a human one, and ending it is not simply a Christian obligation, but a universal one. This conference is an opportunity to celebrate what different faiths have already done together to bring about an end to poverty and injustice and to look forward to what we might do together in the future."

Saleh Saeed, Chief Executive of Islamic Relief Worldwide, said: "Central to all faiths, not least the Abrahamic traditions, is the duty to stand by one's neighbours, regardless race, colour or creed. This conference will offer a welcome chance to strengthen the growing interfaith partnership which is working to end the poverty of so many of our neighbours across the world."

Paul Anticoni, Chief Executive of World Jewish Relief, said: "World Jewish Relief is honoured to stand with other faith-based agencies working to combat poverty around the world. At this critical juncture in countering vulnerability, faith agencies have a vital role to play – we should celebrate this."
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/8067

Wouldn't it be great if our religions worked together towards the common goal of caring for each other and fighting world poverty?

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
11-26-2008, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/8067

Wouldn't it be great if our religions worked together towards the common goal of caring for each other and fighting world poverty?

Peace
One can dream, but I fear that eventually their secondary agendas and motives will clash. There is no such thing as religious charity. True charity doesn't have religion or any other ideology attached to it. Its good done for the sake of good.

glo
11-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi Pygo

Well, I like to dream ... :)

You make an interesting point about charity though.
I wonder if people with religious affiliations are more driven to chairity than non-religious ones. Or if the two groups are even.

What do you think?
Might there be any research we could look at for evidence?

Eric H
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Greetings and peace be with you glo;

I am greatly encouraged by this, I know that Christian Aid have been working with other faith groups for some time. They support communities with needs and do not give out aid on the strength of a persons faith.

Justice will be served in a far greater way when faith groups work together, they have to be seen to be fair to all people otherwise it will not work. This kind of work will bring together some wonderful people, peace makers who look beyond their own faith to find justice for all.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
11-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Amen to that, Eric :)

AntiKarateKid
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
One can dream, but I fear that eventually their secondary agendas and motives will clash. There is no such thing as religious charity. True charity doesn't have religion or any other ideology attached to it. Its good done for the sake of good.
That seems pretty narrowminded.

Has it occured to you that a man may donate money because of religion for the reason that he belives it is good?

Noone is forcing me to donate to the guy on the subway. But I give him money purely for the sake of Allah. For the sake of good. My fitrah comes from Allah who keeps me from going astray by giving the rules of Islam.

Im afraid that your definition of "true charity" is based purely on your opinions and biases.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.