/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My sister stranded at the Bangkok Airport

syilla
11-27-2008, 02:16 AM
:salamext:

Please make dua for my sis so that she'll be back home safe and sound.

A series of small bomb blasts wounded several anti-government protesters blockading Bangkok's international airport on Wednesday, protest leaders said, as chaos ruled inside the terminal and all flights were halted.

One bomb wounded four members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a spokesman said, hours after the PAD stormed Suvarnabhumi airport late on Tuesday in a dramatic escalation of its six-month campaign to oust Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

The Nation newspaper said on its website three explosions had been heard outside the $4 billion terminal, the gateway for nearly 15 million tourists to Thailand last year.

The Nation said a fourth blast appeared to target PAD supporters in another part of Bangkok. It said 12 people were wounded in the overnight attacks, but police have not confirmed the casualties.

Somchai was due to return from an Asia-Pacific summit in Peru on Wednesday afternoon, amid rumours he may declare a state of emergency. A government spokesman said he would not land at Suvarnabhumi.

"I will get off the plane wherever it lands," the Bangkok Post quoted him as saying from Peru.

Thousands of passengers slept overnight on benches and luggage carousels, many annoyed that airport staff fled when the PAD demonstrators, dressed in their movement's yellow shirts, invaded the terminal, forcing officials to cancel flights.

"We came here and we saw all these people in yellow. We thought they were football fans. Now we're just waiting," said a Dutchman who gave his name as Mark.
continue

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
11-27-2008, 06:12 AM
i hope that she could return home safely....

this is the holiday season... i think there might be tens of thousands of Malaysian holidaymakers all over Thailand..

I nearly book a package to Koh Samui last month... but have to put on hold as my cousin is getting married... I dont think it's safe to go there right now.

I pray to God that those people stranded at the airport are safe and could get home easily... if I'm not mistaken, only one flight carrying Thai pilgrims to Mecca is allowed to leave the airport...at least they could do their hajj...

syilla
11-27-2008, 06:24 AM
hopefully the millitant didn't take over :(

north_malaysian
11-27-2008, 07:36 AM
their king shud interfere.... all Thais respect their king...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
11-27-2008, 08:02 AM
heard that somchai is on the way back to Thailand...thats why there alot of protestors...and now they probably going to chiengmai.

BlissfullyJaded
11-27-2008, 08:13 AM
:sl:

Oh my. I heard about that, but didn't think anybody on LI's family would be stuck in there! :uuh:

May Allah protect her and all those stranded. Ameen.

Olive
11-27-2008, 08:23 AM
May Allah bring her back safe and sound.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Ameen to all the dua's

north_malaysian
11-27-2008, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
heard that somchai is on the way back to Thailand...thats why there alot of protestors...and now they probably going to chiengmai.
Somchai is already there... and he refused to resign...

The Army asked him to make another general election...

Air Asia is doubling their flights to Phuket, Malaysians and other people who are leaving Thailand can travel to Phuket and took the extra-flights to Malaysia and Singapore... maybe your sister should try travel to Phuket or Chiangmai.

north_malaysian
11-27-2008, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Oh my. I heard about that, but didn't think anybody on LI's family would be stuck in there! :uuh:

May Allah protect her and all those stranded. Ameen.
There are at least 100 Malaysians who are staff of Etiqa Takaful stranded in the airport... I believe there are more Malaysians there as this is school holiday season...

From what I've heard only one flight allowed to depart which is Iranian Air carrying Thai pilgrims to Jeddah.

youngsister
11-27-2008, 12:52 PM

May Allah swt protect your sister and allowed her to make safe journey back :w:

syilla
11-28-2008, 06:49 AM
my sister msg me...the millitary is already in Bangkok...hmm....

There is only one MAS flight (permit by the thai govern) tomorrow...and probably the last one.

north_malaysian
11-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I've heard the news that MAS would use Pattaya airport.. which is the nearest to Bangkok...

Everyone who want to evacuate Bangkok shud go to Pattaya...

syilla
11-28-2008, 08:27 AM
is it the Utapao airport?

north_malaysian
11-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Published: Friday November 28, 2008 MYT 12:26:00 AM

MAS to fly to Utapao to bring back stranded passengers

BANGKOK: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will on Friday operate one flight from Kuala Lumpur to Utapao, near Pattaya to bring back hundreds of its stranded passengers in Bangkok.

MAS’ area manager for Thailand, A. Vijayakumaran, said two more flights would be operated on Saturday, using the Airbus aircraft with passenger capacity of 290 people, compared to the normal capacity of 144.

Thailand’s Department of Civil Aviation has agreed to allow airlines to use the airport, which is located about 140km from Bangkok, following the closure of the Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports in the capital since Monday by antigovernment protesters.

Vijayakumaran said the MH782 flight on Friday would leave Kuala Lumpur at 3.15pm and arrive here at 16.20pm (Thai time), before the return MH783 departs at 5.10pm and lands in KLIA at 8.15pm.

On Saturday, MAS will operate two flights, starting with MH784 at 9.10am and arriving here at 10.15am (Thai time) and departing (MH785) Utapao at 11.10am.

The second flight (MH788) will depart KLIA at 12.25pm and arrive at 1.30pm while the return flight (MH789) is scheduled to leave at 2.15pm (Thai time) and arrive at KLIA at 5.25pm.

Vijayakumaran said passengers with tickets would have to make their own arrangements to travel to Utapao while those without tickets could purchase them from the airline.

He said the passengers could call MAS office at Tel: 662263056571 or Tel: 6621343184 to get more information. - Bernama

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...512&sec=nation

syilla
11-30-2008, 12:06 AM
My sister is on the way to Malaysia... Alhamdulillah :)

Snowflake
11-30-2008, 12:46 AM
alhumdulillah :)

north_malaysian
11-30-2008, 06:36 AM
My sister is on the way to Malaysia... Alhamdulillah :)
alhamdulillahi alas salamah....

I hope she would arrive safely... so she's travelling by flight, train or bus?

So many people arrive in Butterworth Railway station from Bangkok...

And there are many Thai registration vehicles in the northern region...

cute123
11-30-2008, 07:42 AM
alhamdulillah - so nice to hear that

syilla
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
alhamdulillahi alas salamah....

I hope she would arrive safely... so she's travelling by flight, train or bus?

So many people arrive in Butterworth Railway station from Bangkok...

And there are many Thai registration vehicles in the northern region...
by MAS flight... i think she has arrived...but she is too busy to sms me...lol

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 03:32 AM
by MAS flight... i think she has arrived...but she is too busy to sms me...lol
or she has to top-up her credit..... :)

But situation in Bangkok is still getting crazier... I've heard that now Pro-Thaksin demonstrators moved into the capital.... if I'm a Bangkok citizen, I would leave Thailand to elsewhere.... maybe Malaysia.. it's cheaper..

alcurad
12-01-2008, 03:37 AM
good your sisters safe syllia.
heh, not many Malays would appreciate that suggestion north_malaysian..

afzalaung
12-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Alhamdulillah ur sister's ok.

now i'm worried for most of the Haji jama'at...many of Haji-to-be travel to Jeddah through Bangkok...especially those from Burma, indo-china countries and south china.
Allah Madad

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Thai Muslims leave for hajj on special flight

The Associated Press
Published: November 28, 2008

BANGKOK: A group of 250 Thai Muslims left Friday for the hajj on a special flight from southern Thailand after their original plan to fly out of the country's main international airport was disrupted by anti-government protesters.

Another group of 460 Thai Muslims remained stranded at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok as the authorities negotiated to fly them out of the U-Tapao military airport, about 140 kilometers, or 90 miles, from Bangkok.

The pilgrims had arrived in Bangkok from the Muslim-majority southern provinces on Tuesday, hours before protesters took over Suvarnabhumi, the country's main airport, and forced it to shut down.

Other pilgrims who had planned to arrive later in Bangkok stayed in the south, unsure whether they would be able to go on the hajj, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most Muslims, who save for years to make the pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

Their predicament was resolved when Thai Airways decided to operate a special flight that took off Friday from the southern city of Hat Yai, with 250 pilgrims aboard, an airline official said.

The pilgrims will go to Saudi Arabia via Oman, she said, asking not to be identified because she was not authorized to speak to the media.

Tour operators said the 460 other Thai Muslims stuck in at the Bangkok airport would be taken by bus to U-Tapao. From there, they could get connecting flights on Iran Air to Saudi Arabia.

But Iran Air will not operate the flights until the Thai government guarantees that the airport will not be overrun by protesters, said Sunanta Wuttisakun, an Iran Air representative.

She said the situation could be resolved within two days, which would allow the pilgrims to make the deadline for the start of the hajj on Monday.

"Everyone is trying to help them," she said.

Thai Muslim leaders have warned that a failure to assist the pilgrims could damage relations between predominantly Buddhist Thailand and Saudi Arabia. It could also further damage the Thai government's credibility in the country's largely Muslim south, where Islamic militants have waged an insurgency since 2004.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/28/asia/haj.php

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Thai Airways operates special flight for haj pilgrims

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) arranged a special charter flight Friday to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, from Had Yai Airport to accommodate hundreds of Thai-Muslim haj pilgrims who were stranded in Bangkok by the airport closure.

"So far we have managed to arrange just one charter flight, with a capacity for 250 passengers," said a THAI spokeswoman.

The TG8534 flight, departing from Had Yai Airport Friday afternoon will use an Airbus A300-600 aircraft to fly direct to Jeddah.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Stranded Muslim pilgrims seen crying inside Bangkok airport

BANGKOK: -- Many aged Muslims, who have been left stranded inside the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, were seen Friday morning crying.

They apparently lost hope that they would be able to travel to attend the Hajj in Mecca in time.

Many were seen sitting absent-minded with tears running down their cheeks.

Some came outside the passengers terminal to sit under the sun, apparently because they were not used to the cool weather inside the building.

About 450 Muslim pilgrims were left stranded after Iran Air cancelled its flight to pick them up for Hajj following the besieging of the airport by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 04:12 AM
THAI service two speical flights to Mecca from Hat Yai

Thai International Airways will provide two special flights for Thai-Muslim pilgrims to Mecca from Hat Yai airport.

The service came after anti-government protesters shut down the airports since November 25.

Saudi Arabia has authorized the THAI to operate an additional flight to accommodate 500 stranded Thai-Muslim pilgrims to join the haj pilgrimage on December 1 (Monday).

Flight TG 8544, Airbus A300-600 aircraft will depart Hat Yai Airport at 10.45am and arrive Jeddah at 5.28pm (local time).

On Tuesday, THAI will operate flight TG 8540 which will depart Hat Y at 00.30pm and arrive Jeddah at 7.07am (local time).

Source: The Nation - 01 December 2008

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Stranded Thai Muslim pilgrims request extended Haj

November 29, 2008 4:44 pm by pna

BANGKOK, Nov. 29 — Requests are being made to the Saudi embassy in Bangkok to extend the annual Haj pilgrimage held in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, for another few more days as nearly 1,000 Thai Muslim pilgrims trying to travel there were still stuck in Thailand Saturday as Suvarnabhumi international airport is still shut down by anti-government protesters.

Thai Airways International (THAI) and Airports of Thailand (AoT) are seeking to find a way to fly 233 Thai Muslims now stranded at Hat Yai international airport in the South and wishing to travel to Mecca to perform the pilgrimage, according to Abdul Rahman Uma, a cultural academic in Songkhla.

The pilgrims originally planned to travel on Wednesday but were unable to leave the country as all outbound flights from Suvarnabhumi airport were suspended late Tuesday after protesters of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy stormed into the airport terminal.

To help the pilgrims, THAI is providing a chartered flight from Hat Yai airport early Monday morning, just after midnight.

However, the airline is being requested to pick the pilgrims on Sunday. They have been temporary staying at a Hat Yai hotel for the fourth day Saturday.

The hajj is one of five basic obligations of a Muslim, along with a short creed, prayer, giving alms, and fasting during the month of Ramadan. Every Muslim who has the means should perform the pilgrimage at least once in his lifetime.

Simultaneously, more than 400 Thai Muslim pilgrims are also now stranded at Suvarnabhumi airport. Egypt Air will pick up Egyptians stranded in Thailand at Phuket international airport while Royal Jordanian Airlines said it would fly to U-tapao naval airport, to help transport some of the Thai Muslim pilgrims to Mecca.

While not all the Thai Muslim pilgrims will be able to arrive in Mecca within the deadline of the annual Haj — which falls at midnight on Dec. 2, requests are being made to extend it for another one or two days, said Anurak Wan Aaelah, secretary-general of the Haj Affairs Association.
(PNA/TNA)

LBV/rsm

http://balita.ph/2008/11/29/stranded...-extended-haj/

north_malaysian
12-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Thailand: Stranded Pilgrims Leave Bangkok Airport For Hajj

BANGKOK, THAILAND: More than 450 Muslim pilgrims stranded at Bangkok's besieged international airport for four days were bused Sunday to a military base where they were to board a plane for the hajj.

Sen. Anusart Suwanmongkol said buses transported the pilgrims from Suvarnabhumi airport to the U-Tapao naval base, about 90 miles (140 kilometers) southeast of Bangkok. There, they were to board an Iran Air flight arranged by the Iranian Embassy to Saudi Arabia.

"We are going to Mecca. There is only Allah," said Mohammad Rosi, one of the 459 pilgrims, before he boarded his bus.

The pilgrims arrived in Bangkok from Thailand's Muslim-majority southern provinces on Tuesday (25 Nov), hours before anti-government protesters took over Suvarnabhumi, forcing the country's main gateway to shut down.

A separate group of 250 Thai Muslims left Friday from Hat Yai in southern Thailand without coming to Suvarnabhumi.

The 459 in Suvarnabhumi had remained stranded in the airport as the government and protesters debated about how to get them to Mecca.

Several attempts fell through, partly due to fears by Iran Air that U-Tapao would also be overrun by protesters, preventing its plane from leaving.

The hajj is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most Muslims, who save up for years to go on the pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

Thai Muslim leaders had warned that a failure to help the pilgrims reach Mecca by a Monday (1 Dec) deadline could damage relations between predominantly Buddhist Thailand and Saudi Arabia. It also could have further damaged the Thai government's credibility in the country's south where an Islamic insurgency has flared since 2004.

More than 3,300 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in the violence. Attacks have generally taken the form of drive-by shootings and small-scale bombings intended to frighten Buddhist residents into leaving the predominantly Muslim area.

Muslims in the three southern provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat accuse the central government of discrimination, especially in jobs and education. (By MICK ELMORE / AP)

Associated Press writer Chris Blake contributed to this report.

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/18711

fatima_01
12-02-2008, 07:26 PM
aww inshallah shell be back safe and sound

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.