/* */

PDA

View Full Version : More babies with Down's Syndrome born in UK

glo
11-27-2008, 08:13 PM
As somebody who has worked in the field of learning disabilities (in some contries the term used is mental handicap/retardation) for a long while, these news really encouraged me:

Expecting parents who receive positive test results for Down's Syndrome increasingly choose to go through with the pregnancy, despite the disability of their unborn child - giving an indication that the attitude of our society towards those with learning disabilities is seen as changing and provision and quality of life is viewed as having improved!

More babies with Down's syndrome are being born today than before pre-natal testing became widespread, as perceptions of the condition change.

In 1989, the year screening was widely introduced in the UK, 717 babies with Down's syndrome were born. In 2006, the last year for which figures are available, 749 were born.

The numbers had fallen in the years following the introduction of testing, to 594 in 2000.

Parents who had gone ahead with a pregnancy after receiving a positive test result said they felt people with Down's syndrome had a better future today than 20 years ago, and that they also had the support of their families and friends.

[...]

One parent told researchers: "I don't subscribe to the notion of the 'perfect human being' and found the idea of selecting one child in preference to another abhorrent."

Another said: "I already felt a strong sense of responsibility for my unborn child and knew that I would love it and want it regardless of any additional needs it might have. I knew I could count on friends and family for support."
:statisfie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...lth-disability

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Faith.
11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
:sl:

Aaaaw Mashallah that nice to hear.:statisfie
My younger sister has Down Syndrome, & mashallah she is doing really well!
She goes to a special needs school so she gets all the help and support she needs.

Aaaaw this post has really made me smile:statisfie

:w:

glo
11-27-2008, 08:43 PM
That's wonderful to hear, Faith! :)

Faith.
11-27-2008, 08:51 PM
:statisfie
Thanks for sharing that Glo...
im still smiling!
:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zarmina
12-02-2008, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by XxFaithxX

Aaaaw Mashallah that nice to hear.:statisfie
My younger sister has Down Syndrome, & mashallah she is doing really well!
She goes to a special needs school so she gets all the help and support she needs.
That's great to hear. I've heard how tough it is for both the parents and the child.

Faith.
12-02-2008, 06:48 AM
That's great to hear. I've heard how tough it is for both the parents and the child
^ It was quite hard when she was younger, it still is, but mashallah she is doing much better than she was when she was younger:statisfie

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.