/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer and Running

Tony
11-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Can anyone tell me if it is acceptable to pray whilst running. I run 3-6 miles dailly and would like to use the time to pray, in particular "none has the right to be worshipped but Allah alone who has no partner, to him belongs the kingdom, for him are all praise and he has the power to do everything". Ideally to repeat 100 times. I am not sure whether the physical exertion or sweating may discount the prayer or be insulting to Allah. The reason I would like to pray whilst running is to focus my mind on Allah and the blessings he has bestowed upon me, I find running really clears my thoughts and (though sounds corny) makes me feel alive when experiencing muscle burn. Any advice or Ayat relating to this will be received with thanks. Peace:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Olive
11-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a good idea, masha'Allah. :)

glo
11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
I am not a Muslims, but I have always enjoyed praying whilst running. Now I don't run so much anymore, but I still pray whilst walking.
I think there is something about the rhythm you adopt when running/walking, which helps focusing the mind.

(I am assuming that by 'prayer' you mean making dua rather than praying salah ...)

Tony
11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks people. Yes extra prayers not salaat. I do find that I sometimes feel a bit teary at the end of a run if I have been conscentrating on Allah throughout the run, I dont think it is runners high as I sometimes experience the same during Adhan. The rythym idea is very interesting and may improve prayer and running technique,ie breathing,pace etc. Also pyts me in mind of the begining of Dervish trance in Turkey. Many thanks, Peace.:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amaanah
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hanz
Sounds like a good idea, masha'Allah. :)
:thumbs_up
never thought of that TKTony

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.