/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A levels

Afifa
12-01-2008, 10:42 PM
:sl:

hmm well im finding it difficult to pick which A levels i wna do ... any body reccomend or not reccomend any?
just wna get some opinions

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
:wasalamex

Whatever you do, dont pick general studies ;D

WassalamuAlaykum

Re.TiReD
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Sorry I wasnt being helpful :$

English Lang & Lit is ace!

WassalamuAlaykum

Afifa
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
:giggling:
lol
tbh iv been told nt to pick genreal studies by others too

hmmm im nt much keen on doing english maths or science :X

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by :: Afifa ::
:giggling:
lol
tbh iv been told nt to pick genreal studies by others too

hmmm im nt much keen on doing english mahs or science :X
English is fab! I loved it!

What are your fave subjects then sis?

Banu_Hashim
12-01-2008, 10:50 PM
At my sixth form we're forced to do general studies :(. It depends on what future plans you have beyond A-Levels. Then inshAllah we can advise you a bit better. :D

Afifa
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
hmm well i was thinking...computing...physoclogy... r.e and maybe art?

Re.TiReD
12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
hmm well i was thinking...computing...physoclogy... r.e and maybe art?
Psychology rocks too...

You need 4 huh?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
ooh i hav to choose in like a month :(

im gona do biology, chemistry, pyschology and textiles (yh ino random :P) but inshallah should be good :D

Afifa
12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
Psychology rocks too...

You need 4 huh?
yup
but we do drop one afta 1 year
so we get 1 AS level and 3 A levels

Faith.
12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
lol...Hmmmmm? :hmm:.....Im thinking more along the lines of...Art :D..Physics...History...and English..?:mmokay:

Afifa
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
anybody recomend any others or what they did?

Banu_Hashim
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
It's good to a degree to have 'random' subjects because it shows you have more than one type of skill.

When I chose mine, I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History.

I dropped History at AS though. Even though I enjoyed it, I decided to drop it as I felt I needed to concentrate on the other subjects, because they were related to what I wanted to do.

My friend wants to Law (he's in yr.12 right now) and is taking Philosophy(R.S.), Media Studies, Politics and Arabic.

So it all depends on what you want to do. But do subjects you enjoy.

Faith.
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah no maths...*Phew*:)

Afifa
12-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Maths is harddd :skeleton:

wish i could do arabic..they dont offer it here.

jus a question

what could you go onto after a levels...like theirs uni..or a job...anything else u cn do?

Banu_Hashim
12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
yup
but we do drop one afta 1 year
so we get 1 AS level and 3 A levels
Although you can carry on with 4 if you want. I know people you have done 5 A-Levels. :eek:

Faith.
12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
5 A-Levels...Woah thats unreal...:skeleton:
Id die of stress

Banu_Hashim
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
yeah i know! I'm finding it hard dealing with 3... :S

Faith.
12-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Im struggling with my Gcse's:cry:
Finding it hard to keep up with all my subjects..:X

Sory if this is off topic but does anyone know of anything you can pray before and in the exam...
Me and exams dont go very wellimsad

nightingale
12-02-2008, 07:29 AM

May Allah make it easy for you.

Sister, in my exam days, I never started the exam until I recited Al Fatiha and Al-Ikhlas. Pray that Allah strengtens your memory and increases your knowledge.

Faith.
12-02-2008, 07:39 AM
^ Jazakallah sis, I have a tendancy to panic in exams, even if I've revised like crazy.
My mind just goes blank sometimes...

In my next exam I will pray Al Fatiha and Al-Ikhlas :D
Inshallah Allah will help us all in our examz

nightingale
12-02-2008, 07:54 AM

sis, that is not based on any report, it is my personal choice of making dua and asking the AlMighty for help. Alhamdulillah, it has always given me the best. :)

Faith.
12-02-2008, 07:55 AM
^Oh Oky:D

MunirAhmadKamil
12-02-2008, 07:56 AM

I did Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

maths is pretty hard, along with chem:skeleton:

computing...aint that maths aswell ish? you have 2 do binary, programming and stuff. its 1 of the hardest a-levels..after further maths:blind:

psycology..u have 2 di alot of reading..and memorising.

Insyaallah what you choose is most suited for u:)

mystifyed
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
i would recommend u take Islamic studies and Arabic
I have biology and i'm going to give islamic studies weird combination

Banu_Hashim
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
My friends are doing arabic. But the school doesn't actually offer it as a taught subject. They're learning by themselves and then taking the exam in school. I think they're doing it on edexcel.

But they speak arabic anyways so they're kinda cheating..:rollseyes:p

Afifa
12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MunirAhmadKamil

I did Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

maths is pretty hard, along with chem:skeleton:

computing...aint that maths aswell ish? you have 2 do binary, programming and stuff. its 1 of the hardest a-levels..after further maths:blind:

psycology..u have 2 di alot of reading..and memorising.

Insyaallah what you choose is most suited for u:)
computings hard? :blind:
harder than maths? hmmm
anybody do computing as an a level?

Re.TiReD
12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by XxFaithxX
Im struggling with my Gcse's:cry:
Finding it hard to keep up with all my subjects..:X

Sory if this is off topic but does anyone know of anything you can pray before and in the exam...
Me and exams dont go very wellimsad

Aww huni! *wub* You'll get to your A-Levels and wonder why you made such a fuss over GCSE's :p and then to your degree and you'll think A-Levels were tame :p you'll be alright insha'Allah!

1. Allahumma inni as'aluka 'ilman-naaji'han
O Allah! I ask You for useful Knowledge

2. Rabbi zidni 'ilman war zuqni fahman
O Allah! Advance me in Knowledge and true understanding

3. Rabbi zidni ilma
O my Lord! Advance me in Knowledge

WassalamuAlaykum

Faith.
12-02-2008, 11:11 PM
AssalamuAlaykum,

Aww huni! *wub* You'll get to your A-Levels and wonder why you made such a fuss over GCSE's :p and then to your degree and you'll think A-Levels were tame :p you'll be alright insha'Allah!

1. Allahumma inni as'aluka 'ilman-naaji'han
O Allah! I ask You for useful Knowledge

2. Rabbi zidni 'ilman war zuqni fahman
O Allah! Advance me in Knowledge and true understanding

3. Rabbi zidni ilma
O my Lord! Advance me in Knowledge

WassalamuAlaykum
Aaaaw thanks hun, :p
I really have a tendancy of panicing and my mind going completly blank right before the exam:cry:

But Inshallah Ill pass
by the time I to my Degee ima be toast:skeleton:;D

AhlaamBella
12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
computings hard? :blind:
harder than maths? hmmm
anybody do computing as an a level?
no but 2 of my friends did. They found it really hard though. . .

mystifyed
12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
does any one have friends who are doing alevels islamiyat i would like to know abt the books

Afifa
12-04-2008, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RoseGold
no but 2 of my friends did. They found it really hard though. . .
:><:

AhlaamBella
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Lol you ok sis? :)

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystifyed
does any one have friends who are doing alevels islamiyat i would like to know abt the books
I did Islamic Studies at A-Level sis, what would you like to know?

mystifyed
12-05-2008, 06:16 AM
which books did u use ??

Re.TiReD
12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
which books did u use ??
None :p

My teacher made us a booklet with all the notes we needed. What board and modules are you doing sis?

AhlaamBella
12-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Oh I wish my college did Islamic Studies A-Level :(

Re.TiReD
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Oh I wish my college did Islamic Studies A-Level :(
It was fab masha'Allah. Only problem was that half the year was taught by our athiest teacher and she was hell-bent on teaching us christianity instead :exhausted that and arguing with me

Banu_Hashim
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
It was fab masha'Allah. Only problem was that half the year was taught by our athiest teacher and she was hell-bent on teaching us christianity instead :exhausted that and arguing with me
I wish I did Islamic A-Levels. What modules do you study exactly? Is it things like Fiqh and Adaab etc, or Islamic history?

Afifa
12-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Lol you ok sis? :)
no..but i dont think i eva was :p

Re.TiReD
12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
I wish I did Islamic A-Levels. What modules do you study exactly? Is it things like Fiqh and Adaab etc, or Islamic history?
AssalamuAlaykum

None of the above. Studied things like free will and determination. Life after death, Islam in a Global context etc etc....was quite good alhamdulillah.

If I can dig out my module titles later I will insha'Allah, I cant remember atm.

WassalamuAlaykum

Banu_Hashim
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

None of the above. Studied things like free will and determination. Life after death, Islam in a Global context etc etc....was quite good alhamdulillah.

If I can dig out my module titles later I will insha'Allah, I cant remember atm.

WassalamuAlaykum

Oh right, so it's more like ethical issues etc in relation to Islam... Basically RS with a focus on Islam.

I was thinking more on the lines of a hardcore alim course. :p Sounds really interesting actually.

Re.TiReD
12-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Oh right, so it's more like ethical issues etc in relation to Islam... Basically RS with a focus on Islam.

I was thinking more on the lines of a hardcore alim course. :p Sounds really interesting actually.

Na'am, you wouldnt get your aalim course in A-Level...I'm doing it at degree level now and even then we're getting into some nitty gritty Taqleed and Ijtihad issues in the second year only.

WassalamuAlaykum

12-05-2008, 07:00 PM

jus a question

what could you go onto after a levels...like theirs uni..or a job...anything else u cn do?
You can also go onto doing a modern apprenticeship i.e. work based learning where you learn as you work and get payed as well. It depends what you want to go into.

mystifyed
12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
i'm doing GCE (CIE) board is similar to GCSE

mystifyed
12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
can u send me ur booklet

Afifa
12-05-2008, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
You can also go onto doing a modern apprenticeship i.e. work based learning where you learn as you work and get payed as well. It depends what you want to go into.

iv got past my apprenticeship stage :blind::D:p

12-05-2008, 08:34 PM
so what are your plans? :p

Afifa
12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
ummmmm :blind: :p

Samira_01
12-06-2008, 02:25 PM
i wanna study computing eenginering .. and by doing that you have to have A level maths ..

my teacher says its hard .. and she advices me not to do it ?
who is doing or done as/a2 level maths ?
is it really hard ?

Banu_Hashim
12-06-2008, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samira_01
i wanna study computing eenginering .. and by doing that you have to have A level maths ..

my teacher says its hard .. and she advices me not to do it ?
who is doing or done as/a2 level maths ?
is it really hard ?
It's not really that hard. But you do have to keep at it. Practice weekly if not daily the things you learn in school. Do LOTS of past papers. Practice is the key to doing well in this subject.

I'll admit it's a big step up from GCSE (although C1 is quite easy tbh), but then again A-Levels arn't meant to be easy.

AhlaamBella
12-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh subhanAllah really? I do sociology and my tutor is an atheist and we are doing religion as a module and he keeps challenging me to "save his soul" ^o)

Re.TiReD
12-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh subhanAllah really? I do sociology and my tutor is an atheist and we are doing religion as a module and he keeps challenging me to "save his soul" ^o)
LOL ;D I told her that her life and her whole existence was useless once :p

AhlaamBella
12-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Lol my tutor already knows I think that lol

mystifyed
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
does anyone have biology as a subject in Alevels
i need help

Banu_Hashim
12-08-2008, 10:09 PM
does anyone have biology as a subject in Alevels
i need help
Yep. I'm doing A2 Biology this year. What board are you on? I'm with OCR. But inshAllah I'll try to help. What do you need help with?

mystifyed
12-08-2008, 10:42 PM
i'm on GCE board
whts substrate level phosphorylation

Banu_Hashim
12-08-2008, 10:53 PM
GCE A-Level is the qualification, not the board. Is it one out of Edexcel, AQA or OCR ?

OK, substrate phosphorylation is I think the production of ATP from ADP. This happens when inorganic phosphate combines with ADP (Adenosine disphosphate), therefore adding an extra phosphate group to make it ATP (Adenosine triphosphate)- with 3 phosphates. And obviously you know ATP is the 'universal energy currency' of cells.

mystifyed
12-08-2008, 11:05 PM
ok JazakAllah
i have this question state how the formation of ATP in krebs cycle differs from the formation of oxidative phosphorylation
i think its the CIE board or something i'm not sure

Afifa
12-09-2008, 04:06 PM

OK, substrate phosphorylation is I think the production of ATP from ADP. This happens when inorganic phosphate combines with ADP (Adenosine disphosphate), therefore adding an extra phosphate group to make it ATP (Adenosine triphosphate)- with 3 phosphates. And obviously you know ATP is the 'universal energy currency' of cells.
:skeleton::exhausted

mystifyed
12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
dont worry sis if u take biology then only u can understand

The Ruler
12-14-2008, 01:17 PM
ok JazakAllah
i have this question state how the formation of ATP in krebs cycle differs from the formation of oxidative phosphorylation
i think its the CIE board or something i'm not sure
The carbons are oxidised to Carbon dioxide in Krebs Cycle. And making bonds = energy given off. Where as in the Oxidative phosphorylation, energy is released when electron from the carriers (NADH) move down the electron transport chain, through the stalked particles and join with acceptors such as oxygen. (This is how water's formed during respiration. The process seemed so much simpler during my GCSE year. Sigh)

:: Afifa ::, you could give history and geography a try. Though you'll have to be writing a whole load of essays in a very short time.

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
The carbons are oxidised to Carbon dioxide in Krebs Cycle. And making bonds = energy given off. Where as in the Oxidative phosphorylation, energy is released when electron from the carriers (NADH) move down the electron transport chain, through the stalked particles and join with acceptors such as oxygen. (This is how water's formed during respiration. The process seemed so much simpler during my GCSE year. Sigh)

:: Afifa ::, you could give history and geography a try. Though you'll have to be writing a whole load of essays in a very short time.

are you saying an example of an electron carrier is NADH? I thought it was cytochrome.

What board are you with for Biology?

The Ruler
12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
are you saying an example of an electron carrier is NADH? I thought it was cytochrome.

What board are you with for Biology?
No they're hydrogen carriers. It's just that the electrons are with the hydrogen when the hydrogen is carried. My wording was imperfect.

EDIT: (Now that I've read the post again, I relised it's not my bad. My wording was fine. You're interpretation was wrong. So I removed the 'my bad' from my post).

Banu_Hashim
12-14-2008, 01:37 PM
thaaaaaaaaat's ok :)

mystifyed
12-14-2008, 10:43 PM

JazakAllah i get it now

Afifa
12-14-2008, 11:21 PM

essays ina short tym?....something which is deifintly not my cup of tea
inshallah im planning on doing R.E
anybody do accounting?

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 06:17 AM
my big sis did accounts

Faith.
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Hmm History's sounding good to me....But does it consist of writing mostly essays...Cz im good at that:D

The Ruler
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
essays ina short tym?....something which is deifintly not my cup of tea
inshallah im planning on doing R.E
anybody do accounting?
R.E. has essays too. You might want to consider Economics. Not many sixth forms/colleges offer it though.

About history, I think it's a lot to do with essays. But obviously you'd need to know the dates, the incidents, the people etc. You would also need to be able to understand complicated sources. Or so I've been told by my friend who does A-level history.

Faith.
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
About history, I think it's a lot to do with essays. But obviously you'd need to know the dates, the incidents, the people etc. You would also need to be able to understand complicated sources. Or so I've been told by my friend who does A-level history.

Banu_Hashim
12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I did AS level History, and yes it is quite a lot of writing. You need to develop your analytical writing in particular. What may have been an A* grade essay at GCSE may only be a C grade at A-Level. It's a lot more in depth.

Faith.
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
^:skeleton:

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 07:10 PM
one of my friend did world history in Olevels she got an A
U can do subjects like this if ur good at written english

Banu_Hashim
12-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Is this in Pakistan? If this was in the UK, then your friend must be really old :p

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
yup this is in pakistan

Faith.
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I think my dad did O levels when he was collage...
There're quite old now..
We only get A levels now
I think O levels were harder tho:X

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 07:52 PM
ya i know but they still have it here in pakistan
Do u have the IB system

Faith.
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
IB?
Nope not that I know of..
What is that if you don't me asking.

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
oh. thts a new system of education i heard its really popular in the uk

Faith.
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Hmm...I don't know...Dont think ive heard of it..:-[
Probaliy is popular..

In pakistan do you only do O levels or do you do A level as well?

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 08:08 PM
we do both first Olevels than Alevels

Faith.
12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Gosh that must be harrd...:exhausted

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
yup but kids still get 7 A's 14 A's in Olevels and 5 A's in alevels

Faith.
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
:ooh:Really..Wow

The Ruler
12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm guessing your O-levels are equivalent to our GCSEs?

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
yes

mystifyed
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by XxFaithxX
:ooh:Really..Wow

There really smart children here in pakistan
they study like crazy

Banu_Hashim
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
ya i know but they still have it here in pakistan
Do u have the IB system
My school does the IB. The only comprehensive in the south west (UK) to do it I think.

Afifa
12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
my big sis did accounts
hiw did she find it?
R.E. has essays too. You might want to consider Economics. Not many sixth forms/colleges offer it though.
isnt economics boring
:X :p

The Ruler
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
isnt economics boring
Heh, almost every subject that doesn't apply to you is boring. Always.

I don't really know the contents of the course, but as far as I know from my friends, they really liked the first year. Apparently, then, the course was pretty easy to understand. It's during the second year that it gets really tough.

Afifa
12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Heh, almost every subject that doesn't apply to you is boring. Always.

I don't really know the contents of the course, but as far as I know from my friends, they really liked the first year. Apparently, then, the course was pretty easy to understand. It's during the second year that it gets really tough.
:X:p
its about politics isnt it? :?

Fishman
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
If you want to get exercise as you work take an A-level in Saltation...

The Ruler
12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
:X:p
its about politics isnt it? :?
I don't think it dominates... But it's a part of it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.