/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sense of Gheerah (protectiveness or jealousy)

Z-Blade
12-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Reviving Our Sense of Gheerah
Fatima Barkatulla

We live in societies in which most men and women have lost their sense of modesty, women are obsessed with their appearances and wear clothes to be seen by others and to attract the attention of other men even if they are married! They have lost their sense of shame. Marriage is often looked upon as old-fashioned and short term affairs and frivolous relationships are the norm, everyone waiting to attract a better partner and feeling totally justified to dump one partner for another at the drop of a hat. Feminism too has reached its peak and men and women are told to suppress their natural emotions. Men are not even embarrassed when their wives are dressed up and attract the attention of other men, they don't mind if another man sees, chats, laughs and even dances with their womenfolk and if they do mind, they are told not to be so possessive!

In Islam we have a concept of Gheerah. Gheerah is an Arabic word which means protectiveness or jealousy. It is a good type of jealousy, like when a man feels jealous or protective over his wife or sisters and other-womenfolk and doesn't like other men to look at them. It is a natural inbuilt feeling Allah has given men and women. The Prophet (SAW) had the most Gheerah for his wives and all of the companions were known for their Gheerah. All Muslim men should have a collective sense of protectiveness for Muslim women as Allah says in the Qur'an: "The Men are the protectors and maintainers of women…" (Surah An-Nisaa, Ayah 34). Men who do not care about how their women behave and appear in front of other men and don't enforce hijaab upon their wives or women-folk are called Dayyooth. Being a Dayyooth is a major sin and a detailed discription of this evil characteristic can be found in adh-Dhahabee's book of Major Sins (Kitaab ul-Kabaa'ir).

A story of Gheerah

To further understand the quality of Gheerah, we can look at an incident that Asmaa' (RA) the daughter of Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq (RA) and sister of Aisha (RA), relates about herself. Abu Bakr was a wealthy merchant and he married his daughter Asmaa' to the great companion Az-Zubayr ibn al-'Awwam (RA) who was a very poor man but a man of great piety and one of the companions who were promised Paradise. Asmaa' relates: "When az-Zubayr married me, he had neither land nor wealth nor slave…", so Asmaa' had to work very hard kneading dough, going far off to get water. "And I used to carry on my head," she continues, "the date stones from the land of az-Zubair which Allah's Messenger (SAW) had endowed him and it was a distance of two miles from Madeenah. One day, as I was carrying the date-stones upon my head, I happened to meet Allah's Messenger (SAW), along with a group of his Companions. He called me and told the camel to sit down so that he could make me ride behind him. I felt shy to go with men and I remembered az-Zubair and his Gheerah and he was a man having the most Gheerah. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) understood my shyness and left. I came to az-Zubair and said: "The Messenger of Allah (SAW) met me as I was carrying date-stones upon my head and there was with him a group of his Companions. He told the camel to kneel so that I could mount it, but I felt shy and I remembered your Gheerah." So Asmaa' declined the offer made by the Prophet (SAW). Upon this az-Zubair said: "By Allah, the thought of you carrying date-stones upon your head is more severe a burden on me than you riding with him." (related in Saheeh Bukhari)

Look at the sense of dignity and modesty of Asmaa'! See how she felt shy in front of men? See how careful she was about her husband's feelings? She knew that her husband had a lot of Gheerah so she didn't want to upset him by accepting the Prophet's (SAW) help even though the Prophet was the purest of men and even though it meant bringing hardship on herself! And look at az-Zubair (RA), even though he had a lot of Gheerah, he didn't want to inconvenience his wife. What a beautiful relationship they had!

Nurturing our sense of Gheerah

Sometimes Muslim women don't understand if their menfolk want them to cover their faces or if they ask them to change something about the way they dress or speak in public, thinking that the men are being over-protective. But my dear sisters! If your husband asks you not to wear a certain colour of khimaar because it brings out the beauty of your eyes, or if he wants you to cover your face - by Allah, be thankful! Be proud of the fact that your husband has a sense of Gheerah for you and that he values you and cares for your hereafter. He knows what men can be like more than you do and so never try and suppress his Gheerah in these types of matters. And his concern for you should incite your own sense of honour! Why should any man be able to see your beauty and think indecent thoughts about you? We must nurture our own and our menfolk's sense of Gheerah by behaving and dressing modestly ourselves and paying attention to their valid opinions. We expect certain behaviour from them and they expect it of us. And besides, if our husband asks us to do something that it not Haraam, we must do it.

Subhan Allah! Look at the difference between how Islam values and protects women and how cheaply women are treated outside of Islam! As Muslims we have to be careful that our Hayaa' (sense of modesty and shame) and Gheerah doesn't wear out in a society in which people have lost their Hayaa' and Gheerah.

http://www.islamicawakening.com/view...?articleID=860

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
12-03-2008, 05:27 PM
:salamext:

JazakAllah khayr :thumbs_up

Be proud of the fact that your husband has a sense of Gheerah for you and that he values you and cares for your hereafter. He knows what men can be like more than you do and so never try and suppress his Gheerah in these types of matters. And his concern for you should incite your own sense of honour! Why should any man be able to see your beauty and think indecent thoughts about you? We must nurture our own and our menfolk's sense of Gheerah by behaving and dressing modestly ourselves and paying attention to their valid opinions. We expect certain behaviour from them and they expect it of us. And besides, if our husband asks us to do something that it not Haraam, we must do it.
Masha'Allah :')

WassalamuAlaykum

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
some men have too much of it, n thats scary.
there shud be a balance I guess.

jzk

Re.TiReD
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

jzk
Ya know sis, I totally agree with you. And it is sometimes scary.

But I guess we gotta look at things from their POV...

WassalamuAlaykum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faith.
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
AssalamuAlaykum,
Subhan Allah! Look at the difference between how Islam values and protects women and how cheaply women are treated outside of Islam! As Muslims we have to be careful that our Hayaa' (sense of modesty and shame) and Gheerah doesn't wear out in a society in which people have lost their Hayaa' and Gheerah
Subhan' Allah!^:thumbs_up

Z-Blade
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

jzk
:salamext:,

Too much is better than none. What do you mean by "too much"? Yeah he should definitely not scare the ones he loves, but a man really cannot have "too much" gheerah IMO, the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) said that the man who has no gheerah over his wife, is bound for the fire (something like that).

Wassalam.

Cabdullahi
12-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I would like to know what types of gheerah is frightening??

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Obsessive ones. Don't wear kohl, don't answer the fone (don't want anyone hearing ur voice). Creepy stuff that is.

Güven
12-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Wow Interesting read mashaAllah , JazakAllahu Khair !

does this only count for husband/wife or also for brother/sister ?

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
^^For brother n sister too ofcourse, cause ur her mahram.

Re.TiReD
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

Wow Interesting read mashaAllah , JazakAllahu Khair !

does this only count for husband/wife or also for brother/sister ?
:wasalamex

I think both, my younger bro has alotta gheerah ;D it's kinda cute :-[

Summin funny happened when we went somewhere together on the train once, lol.

WassalamuAlaykum

Sahabiyaat
format_quote Originally Posted by J.U.N.I.O.R
I would like to know what types of gheerah is frightening??
did u just look at that guy? do want me to give u a backhander!

that kind of thing...ruins a marriage. Husbands need to get it into their head that women will always be looked at, but a true wife will only have eyes for her own love, her husband.

Faith.
12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
:sl:

In Islam we have a concept of Gheerah. Gheerah is an Arabic word which means protectiveness or jealousy. It is a good type of jealousy, like when a man feels jealous or protective over his wife or sisters and other-womenfolk and doesn't like other men to look at them.

Re.TiReD
12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat

that kind of thing...ruins a marriage. Husbands need to get it into their head that women will always be looked at, but a true wife will only have eyes for her own love, her husband.
Read it and weep dudes :shade: :-[

Lol reps for that

Güven
12-03-2008, 06:15 PM
^^For brother n sister too ofcourse, cause ur her mahram.
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud

I think both, my younger bro has alotta gheerah ;D it's kinda cute :-[

Summin funny happened when we went somewhere together on the train once, lol.

WassalamuAlaykum
lol ok :thumbs_up

lol For a second I thought that you was saying THAT to the brother :skeleton:
Astagfirallah...

Sahabiyaat
12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
:rollseyes its true though,...i dont think men understand exactly how much a woman can love them,.....they start to take their wife for granted, she becomes an ornament on the mantle piece, a part of the house that was always there. Its not until they loose her that they realise what thyve lost.

Cabdullahi
12-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Obsessive ones. Don't wear kohl, don't answer the fone (don't want anyone hearing ur voice). Creepy stuff that is.
Which crazy guy is gonna say that?? ''(don't want anyone hearing ur voice)''. .>>>>> what are u supposed to use sign language?? or something.

Cabdullahi
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
:rollseyes its true though,...i dont think '''men understand exactly how much a woman can love them''',.....they start to take their wife for granted, she becomes an ornament on the mantle piece, a part of the house that was always there. Its not until they loose her that they realise what thyve lost.
Legendary line ^ when will you get rid of it

Zahida
12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
:sl:Conratulations now you can go cruising in your spanking new porshe which your husband/ husband to be will buy for you...........(Take me with you)................

Excellent words spoken a woman is very sincere when it comes to love and respect.............The men????????? Uh-huh different topic!!

Anyway what about a womans gheerah.............:)

Re.TiReD
12-03-2008, 10:32 PM
A woman's gheerah

chacha_jalebi
12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
gheerah should be to the extent where the woman feels protected and not scared, like the woman should know you will feel jealous and stuff, and she should know that she will be protected and you care for her!

but the best sayin i believe in, is if someone looks once/twice when a female relative is with you, HAH GOOD keep lookin and get jealous :p but if you look too much then pow wow

Zahida
12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
:sl: LOL I LIKE THAT SHOULD BE A PICTURE OF A GREAT BIG LIONESS BUT THE small sweet pussycat is good!!!!!:w::)
A woman's gheerah

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Here ya are ;D

I love this thread, lol masha'Allah!

Zahida
12-04-2008, 08:07 PM
:sl: Thats more like it!!!!!

:thumbs_upThankyou..............................:) :w:

Here ya are ;D

BlissfullyJaded
12-05-2008, 06:54 AM

Which crazy guy is gonna say that?? ''(don't want anyone hearing ur voice)''. .>>>>> what are u supposed to use sign language?? or something.
Umm...there are brothers out there who do say such stuff and get mad over seemingly little things.

Too much gheerah is harmful and smothers the person as well as makes them insecure about every move they make. That's not how Sayyidina Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) was. If you really love the person, you protect them from slipping down the path of evil, but you also do it in a wise way.

Btw, I disagree with the part of not wearing kohl being under too much gheerah. In my humble lil opinion, that would be a good thing if a man encourages his wife to not wear kohl cuz she shouldn't wear make up outside unless the wife's a niqaabi.

Sahabiyaat
12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
A woman gheerah......its funny, ive never heard someone mention that before, its always about the mans jealousy....In my opinion a womans Gheerah is completely disregarded....im sad to say....in Islam, simply because polygamy is allowed.

Do not open the floodgates of a discussion about why men cant control themselves and need 4 women. please! lol.

Re.TiReD
12-06-2008, 08:14 PM

Do not open the floodgates of a discussion about why men cant control themselves and need 4 women. please! lol.
Nah, rather they wouldnt be able to control 4 women :p

A brother once said that he'd need 5 houses, one for each of his wives and the other for himself when they all chuck him out :p

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Legendary line ^
think so?

seems like fairy tale talk to me lol

Zahida
12-06-2008, 09:31 PM
:sl: I for one have alot of gheerah...........................:statisfie:w:
A woman gheerah......its funny, ive never heard someone mention that before, its always about the mans jealousy....In my opinion a womans Gheerah is completely disregarded....im sad to say....in Islam, simply because polygamy is allowed.

BlissfullyJaded
12-07-2008, 01:36 AM

I've always heard of a woman's gheerah. About as equally as I hear of a men's gheerah. I don't think it's right to say a woman's gheerah is disregarded in Islam. It may be more disregarded by society, but not by Islam. :)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-07-2008, 01:39 AM
A brother once said that he'd need 5 houses, one for each of his wives and the other for himself when they all chuck him out :p

WassalamuAlaykum

That's classic!

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah
Too much gheerah is harmful and smothers the person as well as makes them insecure about every move they make. That's not how Sayyidina Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) was. If you really love the person, you protect them from slipping down the path of evil, but you also do it in a wise way.
I agree. I'm interested in your perspective as a sister: what would you say is a balanced level of gheerah?

BlissfullyJaded
12-07-2008, 06:57 AM

I'm pretty much okay with putting up with anything my father and brothers expect of us since it's based on the Shariah. I'm for a girl not wearing make up outside her home unless she's a niqaabi, or not watching TV shows / being with friends that affect her imaan, etc.

However, it's how it's introduced to the person that matters. If a girl does something her brothers / husband dislikes, then there is no need to make her feel inadequate about herself, but rather talk it out and explain what they expects from her is really what Allah expects of her and that's why he wants it for her, for her own good. That why she'll appreciate his gheerah towards her and she'll love him more for it. Women tend to be emotional and want their family's, especially their husband's, love, so explaining it in a manner that shows you're doing because you love her will soften her heart.

For example, with the phone calls things, rather than not letting her answer the phone since she may not get some of her friends calls, just simply reach a compromise of getting caller ID and an answering machine. (I presume people should have that anyway tho, so I don't get why a husband would do that.) I think it's excessive though when husbands prevent their wives from maintaining friendships they had from before marriage. If there is a valid reason, like those friends are harmful to her imaan, I support it. But in any case, give that reason and explain it to her rather than coming off as dogmatic by just cutting the friendship and not sharing the bed or using the "a wife should be obedient to her husband" line.

Using threats doesn't really build an intrinsic fear of Allah, it just creates fear of the brother / husband which naturally is pointless and sorta makes the person begin to hide stuff so they're told off again. There is a place for that too naturally, but to resort to it in the beginning is harmful. If she doesn't listen, then yeah, I fully agree with a tougher stance. But don't start off with tough love, that can just hurt. Basically the balance is in to create love within her for whatever it is that the matter is, treating her like a human being, and explaining the reasoning behind whatever he wants.

Oh and, my brothers and father have a lot of gheerah, and I guess that's why I'm also okay with what some girls may perceive as "strictness", but mainly cuz they've been cool about the way they've done things for the most part. And I don't think I could handle a person without gheerah, it comes off as a bit uncaring...

Sorry for the long post and if I repeated stuff. :hiding:

Ummu Sufyaan
12-07-2008, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z-Blade
Men are not even embarrassed when their wives are dressed up and attract the attention of other men, they don't mind if another man sees, chats, laughs and even dances with their womenfolk and if they do mind, they are told not to be so possessive!
You can say that again :s +o(

Lol I don’t think that’s obsessive at all lol…not the kohl one anyway, I think that one is totally legit…but maybe with answering the phone I think its legit only if he thinks wifeys got a soft voice or something along those lines lol…

that kind of thing...ruins a marriage.
I still think she should lower her gaze though…I dno, what if she does find the other dude attractive :p
And the fact that shes married, is even more reason why she should keep her gaze lowered…I mean if shes got a hubbi, why does she need to look at other guys…
Ad yh, if it’s something accidental, or even if its something intentional then I agree his reaction is a little much…

Husbands need to get it into their head that women will always be looked at, but a true wife will only have eyes for her own love, her husband.
But if a dude sees his wife/sister, etc being eyed out by some sleazy weirdo, he shouldn’t just take it sitting down...he should beat up the guy :p , and encourage his wife to wear more modest clothing (is she isn’t already)

Here ya are ;D

shes got a one wicked set of canines :shade: *growl* :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah
Umm...there are brothers out there who do say such stuff and get mad over seemingly little things.

agreed! i think "too much" gheerah would be to the point where he begins to spy on her and weirdo stuff like that :S

Zahida
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
:sl:Ramlah sis can i ask a question..........women should lower their gaze just in case they find the dude they are glancing at attractive and if they got a hubby why do they need to look at other men????? So why do the men feel the need to look at other women when they have a wife sat right next to them.....................

Ahem!! I mean i have often caught my other half glancing through the rear view mirror to have a goooooooooood look, when i am right next to him!!!!!

:w::):)

Re.TiReD
12-09-2008, 10:03 PM

*editttt I thought you said summin else :phew:*

Women's Gheerah soo exists btw...Just didnt know it existed in me :-[

WassalamuAlaykum

Cabdullahi
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl:Ramlah sis can i ask a question..........women should lower their gaze just in case they find the dude they are glancing at attractive and if they got a hubby why do they need to look at other men????? So why do the men feel the need to look at other women when they have a wife sat right next to them.....................

Ahem!! I mean i have often caught my other half glancing through the rear view mirror to have a goooooooooood look, when i am right next to him!!!!!

slap him!!

Ummu Sufyaan
12-10-2008, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida

yeah of course lol... he shouldn't be looking whether he was married or not...i was just replying in context of sis Sahabiyaat post
this
and this

i hope that makes sense :)

syilla
12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
i wish my hubby has that kind of jealousy :hiding: or perhaps he is hiding it...hhmmm

it is true...sometimes men tend disregard women jealousy.

Z-Blade
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Sis Ramlah and sis Jawharah have posted my exact thoughts, so I don't need to add anything, jazakum Allahu khairan :').

Wassalam.

Zahida
12-10-2008, 10:38 PM
:sl:LOL!!! Tried that so many times he just continues and laughs thinks he is funny!!!! Maybe i should carry a knife............. No that was a bit drastic maybe i should stop sitting next to him that way he can carry on sinning and i will stop:raging: because he is not being sensitive!!!!??????????????:):w::w:
slap him!!

Ummu Sufyaan
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
^ lol, if all else fails, gauge his eyes out :p ;D

Zahida
12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
:sl: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................:blind::bli nd: Then he wouldn't be able to see me either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL:):w:
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramlah
^ lol, if all else fails, gauge his eyes out :p ;D

highway_trekker
12-11-2008, 08:35 PM
A woman's gheerah

Lol!

Nice post too..

MinAhlilHadeeth
12-11-2008, 09:55 PM

I have to say, Jawharah and Ramlah have pretty much summarised my views on the matter. However, I don't think it's permissible to wear kohl in front of non-mahrems unless your eyes are covered, as this is a form of beautification. Not only that, but many people consider the eyes to be the most attractive feature of the face. This isn't a problem for me personally, as I cover my eyes too. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by niqaab? I am used to the full covering being referred to as the 'sittaar'.

My husband's gheerah over me makes me feel both safe, and proud. His gheerah is within the limits of the sharee'ah, and with regards to those matters which are simply his personal preferences, I am careful to guard them even in his absence.

As for my own sense of gheerah, al-Hamdulillaah I never have had to speak to him about it, as he's very sensitive regarding non-mahrem women, and acts with hayaa, wal-Hamdulillaah.

Zahida
12-11-2008, 11:48 PM
:sl:MashAllah you are a very lucky lady.................. May Allah give ALL men including our sons/brothers etc etc Hayaa..............

Congratulations also with your good news. May Allah Bless you with His Rehmat. Ameen Summ Ameen...................:):w:
format_quote Originally Posted by Faizah

I have to say, Jawharah and Ramlah have pretty much summarised my views on the matter. However, I don't think it's permissible to wear kohl in front of non-mahrems unless your eyes are covered, as this is a form of beautification. Not only that, but many people consider the eyes to be the most attractive feature of the face. This isn't a problem for me personally, as I cover my eyes too. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by niqaab? I am used to the full covering being referred to as the 'sittaar'.

My husband's gheerah over me makes me feel both safe, and proud. His gheerah is within the limits of the sharee'ah, and with regards to those matters which are simply his personal preferences, I am careful to guard them even in his absence.

As for my own sense of gheerah, al-Hamdulillaah I never have had to speak to him about it, as he's very sensitive regarding non-mahrem women, and acts with hayaa, wal-Hamdulillaah.

BlissfullyJaded
12-12-2008, 06:12 AM

Yo Faizah, I agree with you on the kohl thing. ;)

MashaAllah @ your husband. May Allah protect you both and increase you both in imaan. Ameen.

MinAhlilHadeeth
12-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Jazaakumaa-Allaahu khayr for the comments sisters, and ameen to all your du'aas sisters. :)

Sabbir_1
12-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Jazakallah khair

Z-Blade
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM

The title came out a bit wrong ;o, "jealous" there should be "jealousy" (obviously :exhausted)

The prophet Muhammad saw said 'A Dayooth will not enter Jannah.' The Sahabah asked, 'Who is a Dayooth?' Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, 'A man who does not care who visits his wife (i.e. men).'

And on the issue of Ghayrah, Ibn al-Qayyim, rahimahullaah, said,

"And the Dayyouth (the man with no jealousy over the women in his family) is the most vile of Allah's creation, and Jannah is forbidden for him, (because of his lack of Ghayrah - jealousy)."

"Here is a beautiful example...

On this topic, a famous historical incident is mentioned, so that males and females with a sense of honor and enthusiasm may know how the pious predecessors despised a woman unveiling her face before men, although in the following instance it was permissible to unveil the face. During the third century Hijri, the Qaadi (judge) of Rayy and Ahwaaz, Musa bin Ishaaq, sat to adjudicate people's disputes. Among the litigants was a woman who claimed five hundred dinars Mahr from her husband. The husband denied the claim. The Qaadi said to the husband, "Bring your witnesses." The husband said, "I have brought them." The Qaadi said to one of the witnesses, "Look at the wife so you may point her out during testimony." The witness stood up and said to the woman, "Stand." Upon this, the husband said, "What do you want from her?" The husband was told, "It is necessary that the witness sees your wife unveiled so that he may know that it is your wife." The husband detested his wife unveiling her face for the witnesses in public. He screamed, saying, "I make the Qaadi my witness that this Mahr of my wife is an obligation on me, and she must not unveil her face!" When the wife heard this, she thought it was wonderful that her husband disapproved of her unveiling her face before the witnesses, and was protecting her from the sight of people. She too screamed at the Qaadi, "I make you a witness that I have granted my Mahr to him, and have absolved him in this Dunyaa and the Aakhirah!" The Qaadi said to those around him, "Record this as a moral standard." - Taken from Tarbiyat Al-Awlaaad Fil Islaam "

MashaAllah, I really like that story :'), all taken from here: http://www.ummah.net/forum/showthread.php?t=206006 , may Allah reward the sister, Ameen.

Wassalam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.