/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Online/Off line personas

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
:sl:

Soo I was thinking, n I thought, Are people really over-reacting just cause they are online? I mean do some of you people seriously act the way u do on the forum offfline too? Grin constantly...acting all hyper. Not pointing fingers at anybody personally, but doesn't it get tiring?

Is there like a need to want to appear all happy dappy, so u seem cute maybe?

and does it make those of us who don't act like that appear "sad, depressed..."? lol

I try to actually with hold my cheerfulness alot, cause I feel like why shud I displace it on a forum? I'm very happy/smily but I won't try to show it on here. I'm not trying to explain myself, but someone asked me "if I am ok"? why cause I don't use crazy smilies. hehe.

I post as I feel, I won't post a smily if I am not smiling. etc. I won't pretend.

like for real...do any of you grin this way in real life?

"";D;D" <=I hate this smily lol. It looks goofy, insane n fake. Arghh.

so all Im asking is ...is this for real seriously?

Point of this thread? Wat's going on?!

(asked uncle woodrock to remove the other one...soo plss get ur replies back junior and the others who posted in the other thread

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
can people appear offline? cos its really weird when someones just posted something like a minute ago and you're about to reply to them and they're already offline

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
can people appear offline? cos its really weird when someones just posted something like a minute ago and you're about to reply to them and they're already offline
huh? im sorry I didn't get that.:-[

Faith.
12-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Soulja Girl
12-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Yeaaa, I'm the same offline... I'm jus a natural init :D

:w:

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

Yeaaa, I'm the same offline... I'm jus a natural init :D

actually for a crazy girl, ur pretty sane:p:.:sunny:..u seem pretty normal (from what I have seen neway).

Güven
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
:salamext:

ok now this smiley »»> ;D

yes i use it in real life !

If I smile ...I use one of these smileys :D;D or LOL
If I laugh out loud I use either this ;D or ROFL
If something is weird/creepy/strange/cool :skeleton::uuh::muddlehea:eek::offended::ooh: :exhausted
embarrassed :-[
sad imsad:cry:
confused :? :confused:

nah seriously though ..expressing feeling through smileys are important..Sometimes you cant see if the person is serious or not and you got stuck with the replying cuz you dont know how he/she feels but yes there is some exaggerations going on , i agree with that.
and i cant understand how people can actualy "Fake" it :?

like for example :

nice
Veryyyyy Mysterious!

Whoaah cool mashaAllah awesome ! :ooh:
he finds it interesting...

Now did that make sense ? I guess not

Soulja Girl
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
actually for a crazy girl, ur pretty sane:p:.:sunny:..u seem pretty normal (from what I have seen neway).
^Sure sure? Well, you've not seen how krazeh I am at home... Gave the mumzy a headache today... :X :p

Cabdullahi
12-03-2008, 07:16 PM
yeah i think the majority here are alhamdulilah just normal ppl who dont put an act on!
but we cannot speculate as to who does it and who doesnt.. cus we might be wrong only allah knows....but we are muslims so we should be true

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
:salamext:

ok now this smiley »»> ;D

yes i use it in real life !

If I smile ...I use one of these smileys :D;D or LOL
If I laugh out loud I use either this ;D or ROFL
If something is weird/creepy/strange/cool :skeleton::uuh::muddlehea:eek::offended::ooh: :exhausted
embarrassed :-[
sad imsad:cry:
confused :? :confused:

nah seriously though ..expressing feeling through smileys are important..Sometimes you cant see if the person is serious or not and you got stuck with the replying cuz you dont know how he/she feels but yes there is some exaggerations going on , i agree with that.
and i cant understand how people can actualy "Fake" it :?

like for example :

Veryyyyy Mysterious!

he finds it interesting...

Now did that make sense ? I guess not
thats what I mean...

Woodrow
12-03-2008, 07:20 PM
A friend of mine Brian Kovacs presented the Kovacs "Onion theory of personality"

In his theory he proposed that we are like onions with numerous layer, it takes all of the layer to be the true self. We can only show one layer at a time so unless some one is with us constantly they have a very limited view of us.

Here, we all present our "forum" layer, it is quite different from the "interview" layer we would present when being interviewed for a job, and different from our "business" layer we would show when buying a car. etc But, it is still us.

Because this is a forum, with limitations of how we can present ourselves, all we will ever see of each other is our "forum" layers.

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
Lol, I think you just answered your own question with the following:

Were you reallyyy all red in the face when you said this?

In my opinion, people tend to use emos to convey the tone with which they mean to say something.

Text by itself can be emotionless and it can be difficult to work out, for example, when somebody is joking etc.

Aadil, yes. People can appear offline on this forum.
I was shy..

I'm not trying to judge, I just feel like some people are fake. Allahu Allam. I think as muslims we should be real. Seriously, who grins like that against the opposite gender in person? lol...and Yes I did laugh for real.

I'm new to all the cyberspace so pls forgive me for anything awkward I might say.

kwolney01
12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I do think some people act differently online and offline. I use similes sometimes and I use them to brighten up my posts. If I want to make the person smile themselves I may put a similes on my posts. I think it just depends on the person. As you said you hate similes so you don't use them that's how you feel. I don't think a person is sad or depressed because they don't use similes. I do agree that some people tend to go overboard with it though. It's just a minor issue anyways and we shouldn't spend too much of our time getting mad or upset over a simile.

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
A friend of mine Brian Kovacs presented the Kovacs "Onion theory of personality"

In his theory he proposed that we are like onions with numerous layer, it takes all of the layer to be the true self. We can only show one layer at a time so unless some one is with us constantly they have a very limited view of us.

Here, we all present our "forum" layer, it is quite different from the "interview" layer we would present when being interviewed for a job, and different from our "business" layer we would show when buying a car. etc But, it is still us.

Because this is a forum, with limitations of how we can present ourselves, all we will ever see of each other is our "forum" layers.
ok...interesting.

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
I do think some people act differently online and offline. I use similes sometimes and I use them to brighten up my posts. If I want to make the person smile themselves I may put a similes on my posts. I think it just depends on the person. As you said you hate similes so you don't use them that's how you feel. I don't think a person is sad or depressed because they don't use similes. I do agree that some people tend to go overboard with it though. It's just a minor issue anyways and we shouldn't spend too much of our time getting mad or upset over a simile.
Sis I wasn't upset, I just thought it wud be interesting to discuss this so I see peoples views in general. I am not upset.:sunny:....

I dont hate smilies, just one in particular. The rest are ok...I guess.

chacha_jalebi
12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
well interesting topic

i agree with alpha dudette, like if i said this thread is crap, and then i said this thread is crap :p you can tell im jokin, if i didnt put the tongue you couldnt tell! so people use faces because it shows which tone they usin innay!

also maybe people are not like this in real life, but they should be :D smile!

chacha_jalebi
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
Chacha, you mean you really do walk about in real life with your teeth all exposed like that? :muddlehea
well no otherwise i would be a colgate model :D

but i honestly do smile, like ive been told i have a really approachable face!! dont get any ideas BRO:-[

IbnAbdulHakim
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Seriously, who grins like that against the opposite gender in person? lol....
you know there have been times in reality where a sister would approach me, or a girl (basically opp gender) who would say something which i would find ammusing or funny and naturally this would make me smile/grin or laugh, however i wouldnt look at them.. although i would still be smiling/grinning my head would be facing down... get me?

as for the question..

ive looked over my posts quite a bit and i gotta say, its all me... BUT (yes the BUT!) this could only be because I KNOW ME, so i look at it the way i KNOW i intended it..get me?

what i mean is everyone can take words/emoticons in different ways.

and lol, ;D <--- this is not fake or goofy, seriously its just showing that your having a lil laugh

assalamu alaikum

chacha_jalebi
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
the moral of the story is we are all different and we have different writing styles and expressin styles, if someone is comin on here and bein fake, we shouldnt laugh at them, we should ban them:p naa lol let people do what they wan, we cant change them, we can only advice them!

i would close the thread but im tired :p

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
the moral of the story is we are all different and we have different writing styles and expressin styles, if someone is comin on here and bein fake, we shouldnt laugh at them, we should ban them:p naa lol let people do what they wan, we cant change them, we can only advice them!

i would close the thread but im tired :p
why close the thread?...:X

no one said no one can do what they want. shooot.

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
you know there have been times in reality where a sister would approach me, or a girl (basically opp gender) who would say something which i would find ammusing or funny and naturally this would make me smile/grin or laugh, however i wouldnt look at them.. although i would still be smiling/grinning my head would be facing down... get me?

as for the question..

ive looked over my posts quite a bit and i gotta say, its all me... BUT (yes the BUT!) this could only be because I KNOW ME, so i look at it the way i KNOW i intended it..get me?

what i mean is everyone can take words/emoticons in different ways.

and lol, ;D <--- this is not fake or goofy, seriously its just showing that your having a lil laugh

assalamu alaikum
sorry but I still don't like that smily. N I never will...I guess lol. It looks fake n scary.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-03-2008, 07:56 PM
sorry but I still don't like that smily. N I never will...I guess lol. It looks fake n scary.
aint askin you to like it sis i respect your opinion

its not always fake , i only use that when im in a seriously laughing mode, but yeh a LOT of emoticons can be used as fakes.

well interesting thread sis

to be honest i dont think anyone in the forum can properly know another person, until they've met them IN person.

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
aint askin you to like it sis i respect your opinion

its not always fake , i only use that when im in a seriously laughing mode, but yeh a LOT of emoticons can be used as fakes.

well interesting thread sis

to be honest i dont think anyone in the forum can properly know another person, until they've met them IN person.
Im sorry I don't mean to be rude.
I don't like this thread anymore lol..I will get it deleted me thinks.

Cabdullahi
12-03-2008, 08:02 PM
sister why??

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
^I feel like people misunderstood me.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Im sorry I don't mean to be rude.
I don't like this thread anymore lol..I will get it deleted me thinks.
huh? im sorry i didnt mean to come across offended.

trust me i have YET to be offended on this forum!!

i like this thread! keep it up sis :thumbs_up

assalamu alaikum

Cabdullahi
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Forget what ppl think!.....this is a thread that makes sense...obviously some ppl are indenial...those that overuse smiles are the one's who are acting as if they misunderstood

Ali.
12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Clarify then, no need to delete the thread. But from the posts after that post, it seems that people have not misunderstood.

Ansariyah
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't know what to say...!! lol

BlissfullyJaded
12-04-2008, 04:24 AM

I don't think people misunderstood you sis. :?

Anyways, I don't think people are faking the happiness or anything. The ;D does bug me, but I've gotten used to it and have ended up using it when I actually am amused by something. We used to have a better on back in the days, but they changed it. *sigh*

But yea, the only emos that I use but don't totally express me are :p and :cry: . I don't ever stick my tongue out, and I hardly ever cry on the computer.

Musaafirah
12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
^^LOL!
I don't know anyone personally here and yeah as someone mentioned before, the use of smilies can be to diffuse any possible tension so people don't misunderstand what someone's saying, I guess. I'm a very sarcastic person, though I try not to be on the forum just in case I'm misunderstood. Hey, I'm misunderstood all the time, so I don't know if it should matter ?: <<And no question marks do not appear near my head when I'm confuzzled nor do I make that face, but it's just to show that I'm slightly confuzzled or what not. Hmmm...I also like this face :muddlehea I don't actually look like that in real life either, but by putting that emticon on, usually to me means I'm trying to understand what's happening.....

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

LOL ;D This thread is hee-lare-ee-us :p and thats the truth :p and I am actually laughing like that --> ;D although am not sitting with my tongue lolling out like this > :p

I think only somebody with a majorly (sp?) split personality could be a different person online and then offline, but of course....those who put their mind to it can do it.

I dont see the point to this thread tbh, you're never really going to get to know a person properly online unless you converse with them loads, and even then, you cant be 100% sure.

I think it's nice when members are happy-go-lucky masha'Allah. I dont mind the members who appear depressed, but even the most serious ones crack a smile now and again, if you dont want to then we respect that. And to each their own.

WassalamuAlaykum

Danah
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I dont misunderstood u sister :)

this is a very topic to discuss, because many people are acting differently when they are online.

okay I am exactly the same but I think I am a bit more hyper and crazy offline :D

when I used those smilies imsad:cry: I mean them in reality

when I use this one ;D also I really mean it.......But I dont use it with the opposite gender even here.
* and to be honest, I use similes which express my true feeling more comfortably in the sister section *

when I use this one :exhausted or :enough!: or :p I meant them as well

aamirsaab
12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I have no idea if my online persona matches up to my off line persona and vice versa. But, if we are basing it on smilies, then :p is pretty accurate (note: that is a TONGUE sticking out of my mout...not something disgusting like a yacked-up-halaal-haribo as you may initially think.

Ansariyah
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
AssalamuAlaykum

LOL ;D This thread is hee-lare-ee-us :p and thats the truth :p and I am actually laughing like that --> ;D although am not sitting with my tongue lolling out like this > :p

I think only somebody with a majorly (sp?) split personality could be a different person online and then offline, but of course....those who put their mind to it can do it.

I dont see the point to this thread tbh, you're never really going to get to know a person properly online unless you converse with them loads, and even then, you cant be 100% sure.

I think it's nice when members are happy-go-lucky masha'Allah. I dont mind the members who appear depressed, but even the most serious ones crack a smile now and again, if you dont want to then we respect that. And to each their own.

WassalamuAlaykum
u make fish threads...thats rich coming from u.

Some people do pretend, it's pretty obvious.

BlissfullyJaded
12-04-2008, 09:13 PM

^Um, the fish thing comes off as a diss... Anyways, not necessarily are people pretending. And maybe they weren't feeling happy, but they read that specific thread and it made them laugh or whatever..

aamirsaab, you mean to say you really are sticking your tongue out like that? :-\

Ansariyah
12-04-2008, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA

this is a very topic to discuss, because many people are acting differently when they are online.

okay I am exactly the same but I think I am a bit more hyper and crazy offline :D

when I use this one ;D also I really mean it.......But I dont use it with the opposite gender even here.
* and to be honest, I use similes which express my true feeling more comfortably in the sister section *

ok so I am not the only person who thinks that way.:sunny:

thanks sis for sharing n giving ur input. u basically explained wat I meant pretty well..

Cabdullahi
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

I don't think people misunderstood you sis. :?

Anyways, I don't think people are faking the happiness or anything. The ;D does bug me, but I've gotten used to it and have ended up using it when I actually am amused by something. We used to have a better on back in the days, but they changed it. *sigh*

But yea, the only emos that I use but don't totally express me are :p and :cry: . I don't ever stick my tongue out, and I hardly ever cry on the computer.

format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
^^LOL! misunderstood all the time, so I don't know if it should matter ?: <<And .....

format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
AssalamuAlaykum

WassalamuAlaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA

These are the culprits^^

Faith.
12-04-2008, 09:17 PM
AssalamuAlaykum Yanoorah,
I understand what your trying to say...
That some people example:Over Exaggagerate..
But I think this is how most people on the forumn show how they are feeling
Example::D....Meaning they are happy...Obviously in real life someone is not going to sit on the comp smiling like that....But it shows their emotion...and their reaction to a particular thread...

Ansariyah
12-04-2008, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

^Um, the fish thing comes off as a diss... Anyways, not necessarily are people pretending. And maybe they weren't feeling happy, but they read that specific thread and it made them laugh or whatever..

aamirsaab, you mean to say you really are sticking your tongue out like that? :-\
It wsn't a diss.

Some people over do it. It comes across as fake. Thats my opinion u don't have to believe it.

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I make fish threads? What on Allah's earth does that have to do with anything? If I could hold a fish seminar in real life I would, but I cant so I remain content with LI. I really didnt get that :?

Ansariyah
12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
It's simple, u called my thread "indirectly" pointless..so ur fish thread came to mind thats all.

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Thats my opinion u don't have to believe it.
Ahaa! That's ok then :thumbs_up

Danah
12-04-2008, 10:44 PM

Some people over do it. It comes across as fake. Thats my opinion u don't have to believe it.
I agree :thumbs_up
because I met some of those people in reality...they act totally different online, its in the forums world in general
but many others are act just the same as they are offline, they dont fake anything whether by exaggerating use of smilies or not even use them at all

Edit: and as I said I am acting exactly the same as reality but I try to be more sane in forums than the way in home :D

BlissfullyJaded
12-05-2008, 03:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by J.U.N.I.O.R
These are the culprits^^
Excuse my slowness. But huh? :?

Anyways sis Yanoorah, yep, we're all entitled to our opinions. I hope I didn't offend you. That wasn't my intent at all.

Far7an
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I wonder if people who ask threads to be deleted online often ask for people to forget about conversations whilst they are halfway through it, offline?!

IbnAbdulHakim
12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
I wonder if people who ask threads to be deleted online often ask for people to forget about conversations whilst they are halfway through it, offline?!
a lot of people do do that bro

many people would so "oh just forget about it!" after a discussion lol like we're robots

Woodrow
12-05-2008, 12:53 PM
We are going off topic here. But, i will add in a "Closed Thread" can still be read by all members. Very few threads are ever deleted.

Now let us return to the original topic, before this becomes a read only thread.

AhlaamBella
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm usually the same online as I am offline. Except more confident online for some reason lol

Woodrow
12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I tend to believe that we all are like my friend Dr. Kovacs said. We are made of many layers and each situation we show only the layers appropriate for that time and place.

A teacher does not speak to students the same as when speaking to family. A doctor does the same, the Dr speaking to patients is not the same persona as when the same Dr. is speaking to a spouse etc.

So it is with all of us, we use the persona on a forum that is appropriate for that forum. I doubt if many normal, rational people attempt to present a false identity. It is more like the part of their personality that they feel is appropriate and comfortable, is what we see.

So yes most members are probably the same both online and off line when it comes to the basic person, but the language and method of writing will differ.

We are all like beautiful multi faceted diamonds. We are the total of all the facets, but only one facet at a time is ever seen by anybody. Here, we all show our forum facet, but each of us is much more complex and have much more to offer the world.

Muslim Woman
12-05-2008, 02:21 PM

..asked uncle woodrock ..
haha , it should be uncle Woodrow :)

S_87
12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
i dont know how people see me online but i think im pretty much the same in real.
weird/freakish and doped half the time..serious when i need to be otherwise not really.
though online im more reserved and private.

Muezzin
12-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm a bit of a butthead both off- and online. It's just more people find my antics funny online.

I mean, online, pointing out that this thread reminds me of Takumi's thread comes across as sort of helpful, whereas in real life, I might look like a douche.

Tony
12-05-2008, 08:22 PM
online personas are how we would like to be able to conduct ourselves, offline personas are beaten and mugged by day to day drudgery:D:D:D:):):-[:-[imsadimsad+o(+o(:-[:laugh::laugh::laugh::enough!::enough!:

jzcasejz
12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
This, actually, is a very good thread... jazaakillaah khayr for starting it.

Very true.

chacha_jalebi
12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
this thread is good, its true what sister yanoorah is sayin, like some people are like over the top in both happyness/sadness and it seems like woh blud aint you gettin attention at home :p

but we dont know for sure, so instead of thinkin who is fake and who isnt its best we just take people for face value, and after all we are on the net, so minor innaaay :D

thread has died like a leave fallen off a treee :(

:threadclo :(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.