/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Disgust At 'Lego' Terrorist Toys

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 04:02 PM
A range of Lego-style fighting figurines - including an Islamic terrorist militant - has sparked outrage among Muslims.

The Islamic terrorist Lego figurine, as seen in the BrickArms online shop

The toy mini-figures, made by American Will Chapman, includes a masked terrorist bandit with an assault rifle, grenade launcher and belt of explosives.

Shocked by the playthings, British Muslim organisation the Ramadhan Foundation has branded the figurines "absolutely disgusting".

Chief executive Mohammed Shafiq said the figures were "glorifying terrorism".

He said: "I don't think there's any difference between someone that shouts hatred through a megaphone and someone that creates a doll that glorifies terrorists.

It belittles the pain the families of victims of terror have gone through.

Ramadhan Foundation chief executive Mohammed Shafiq

"As a parent myself, I'm going to teach my children respect for the law and respect for each and every community.

"These are the lessons parents should be giving to their children - not lessons about weapons and violence."

Father-of-three Mr Chapman boasts on his website that his nine-year-old son gave him the idea for the range.

The site advertises 31 different Lego-style weapons, weapons packs and 10 miniature militant figurines.

Other fighters in the range include World War Two troops, US marines - and a Nazi SS officer.

A spokesman for Lego UK said they were "not associated" with the toys being sold by BrickArms, "which have been customised without LEGO UK's knowledge or permission."

He added Lego is "committed to developing toys which enrich childhood by encouraging imaginative and creative play - and does not endorse products that do not fit with this philosophy."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Str...rrorist_Bandit

The Islamic terrorist Lego figurine, as seen in the BrickArms online shop

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
You do realise that 'Father-of-three Mr Chapman' was hoping exactly for this kind of wide coverage?

Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
my bad

KAding
12-04-2008, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
And I love this quote:

:rollseyes
Whats wrong with that quote? Could you elaborate?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
12-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Just wondering how the plan came to fruition with everybody being oblvious to it

Tornado
12-05-2008, 04:51 AM
And I love this quote:

:rollseyes
You misread the quote. Lego's philosophy, BrickArm's product.

Muezzin
12-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Just wondering how the plan came to fruition with everybody being oblvious to it
Well, obviously, someone noticed, the press ran with the story, and Lego only just find out.

I hope they sue him.

Trumble
12-06-2008, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Well, obviously, someone noticed, the press ran with the story, and Lego only just find out.

I hope they sue him.
I don't see how they can; it's a bit like suing whoever manufactured the ink used by certain Danish cartoonists. Likewise, it's clearly unfair to associate Lego themselves with this in any way.

I tend to agree, the best thing to do with this sort of story is ignore it. the guy might have sold half-a-dozen of these before any publicity, now he'll probably sell hundreds and push up his other sales too. You may have noticed he now seems to have sold out of everything and is presumably beavering away making more as we type.

BTW. Not that I particularly want to be 'fair' in this instance, but nowhere is the figure actually identified as either a 'terrorist' or 'Islamic'.

Muezzin
12-06-2008, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I don't see how they can; it's a bit like suing whoever manufactured the ink used by certain Danish cartoonists. Likewise, it's clearly unfair to associate Lego themselves with this in any way.
Given it's an unauthorised customisation being sold for profit, isn't there some sort of copyright infringement?

I tend to agree, the best thing to do with this sort of story is ignore it. the guy might have sold half-a-dozen of these before any publicity, now he'll probably sell hundreds and push up his other sales too. You may have noticed he now seems to have sold out of everything and is presumably beavering away making more as we type.
Exactly.

BTW. Not that I particularly want to be 'fair' in this instance, but nowhere is the figure actually identified as either a 'terrorist' or 'Islamic'.
True. It's just attention-seeking behaviour which we should not be giving the time of day.

Woodrow
12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
In spite of Lego being a Danish owned company. Lego has shown itself to be very supportive of Islamic culture and has done much to show Muslim's respect. I was shocked when I saw the title, but then saw it is not Lego making the toys but a different company "Brickarms'."

As mentioned by Bro. Muezzin, I hope Lego sues Mr. Chapman and his company. I believe their use of the Lego name is a copyright infringement.

Wilma_Hum
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
In spite of Lego being a Danish owned company. Lego has shown itself to be very supportive of Islamic culture and has done much to show Muslim's respect. I was shocked when I saw the title, but then saw it is not Lego making the toys but a different company "Brickarms'."

As mentioned by Bro. Muezzin, I hope Lego sues Mr. Chapman and his company. I believe their use of the Lego name is a copyright infringement.
Do you think there statement "All toys mesh perfectly with your LEGO universe" is copyright infringement?
I have no experience/knowledge in that area, but I wouldn't think there is a copyright problem.

KAding
12-06-2008, 09:43 PM
This might also be relevant here. If the lego blocks can't be trademarked, perhaps neither can the lego puppets.

EU court rejects Lego trademark

The Danish toy maker Lego has lost a court battle to protect its iconic plastic bricks.

The EU's Court of First Instance on Wednesday upheld a 2004 EU decision to cancel the brick's trademark status.

The trademark was registered in the EU in 1999, but rival Canadian toy firm Mega Brands - which makes Mega Bloks - successfully challenged it.

The EU's trademarks agency said the brick was a functional, technical shape that was not one company's property.

Lego spokeswoman Charlotte Simonsen said Lego would appeal against the ruling, taking the case to the EU's highest court, the European Court of Justice, the AFP news agency reported.

The judges rejected Lego's claim that its competitors do not need to copy the brick's shape in order to get the same technical result. They said "the functional shape itself must be available to everyone".
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...pe/7726700.stm

Published: 2008/11/13 10:08:32 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.