/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 6.12. the independent day of Finland

sister herb
12-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Salam friends

Today is independent day of Finland. I would like to tell about old tradition what we have for this day.

At every year just at this day most of Finnish put 2 candles to windows. It comes from time when Finland was under Russian occupation. Those 2 candles told to our resistance fighters that from that home you will get help; shelter, food, medical care and people in this home you can trust.

At 2008 most of houses here you can see lights at evening for this reason.

"I am here who ever you are. I care about your fighting. You are the most welcomed."

At this evening I too put 2 candles to my window.

You are welcomed if you need my help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
12-06-2008, 12:05 PM
The Finns are a fascinating people.
Happy independence day!
It's Saint Nicholas Day in most of catholic Europe, it's when parents prepare gifts for their children, its the the original Santa actually.

Güven
12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
The Finns are a fascinating people.
Happy independence day!
It's Saint Nicholas Day in most of catholic Europe, it's when parents prepare gifts for their children, its the the original Santa actually.
^That was yesterday ,saint nicholas' eve , here in holland :D

Al-Zaara
12-06-2008, 12:43 PM
That was a cool march they had in this city! :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
:bump1:

Nice horse. Seems arabic one.

Whatsthepoint
12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
^That was yesterday ,saint nicholas' eve , here in holland :D

Yeh, but the gifts come in the morning of the 6th.

Al-Zaara
12-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Güven and Watsthepoint, shame on you two! The thread is fairly new and you already post an off-topic picture! It's about Finland not Holland or Santa. <__<

Here's a map of Finland incsae someone wonders where it is located in the world:

Whatsthepoint
12-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, santa comes from Finland, right? Yo-low-pooky or something.

Al-Zaara
12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
He lives in Lappland, yes, but he won't steal the show today! He's got enough attention on Christmas day anyways. Now he's celebrating Finland's independence day. Joulupukki, yes. :p

Whatsthepoint
12-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Way to go, Suomi!

sister herb
12-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Santa lives in Korvatunturi but he hasn´t nothing to do with this day as sister said.

:bump1:

Those 2 candles have.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.