/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Study: Young British Muslims better integrated than their parents

glo
12-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Most Muslim students in Britain are more likely to join Amnesty International than Al-Qaeda, according to a study published yesterday.

British universities are not hotbeds of Islamic radicalism in spite of fears about the rise of campus extremism, according to the report by Cambridge University.

[...]

“Although a minority have extreme political views, most are concerned about human rights and social democracy. The UK in particular now hosts a new generation of Muslims who are more confident of their national identity and more politically-engaged than their parents.”

It found that while Muslim students in the West are often regarded as prime targets by extremists, many in fact have a stronger sense of civic responsibility and British identity than their elders.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5287635.ece

Any thoughts?

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Great.

Wilma_Hum
12-07-2008, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Glo, My thoughts.

I find little comfort in "Most Muslim students in Britain are more likely to join Amnesty International than Al-Qaeda".

Obviously Al-Qaeda appeals to a minority of people. But Al-Qaeda has shown the world what they can do with the support of a few people.

aamirsaab
12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
:sl:

I'd tend to agree somewhat with the thread title. I say somewhat because my parents are probably as integrated as I am (well, they have been alive for longer :p) but I do know of some who aren't integrated as much as their kids.

However, this is not to say that those particular parents are neccessarily bad or evil. I mean, I know of some folk who cannot speak a word of english but they're quite friendly and generally good hearted people. One wouldn't let me leave her premises cus she kept feeding me food (culturally, if your elder relative brings you a bowl of fruit, you eat every piece in that bowl!)

Most Muslim students in Britain are more likely to join Amnesty International than Al-Qaeda, according to a study published yesterday.
I think that speaks for itself and in plenty of volume!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nocturnal
12-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Im a student here in the UK, but im not British. I think there is a certain degree of truth to that statement. I think these are the educated youth who understand that human rights and social democracy cannot be achievied by allowing yourself to resort to an erroneous recourse in which innocents are targeted. Im not using the word radical here because that concept is a media and neocon invention which in reality is a misnomner. They deem anyone who is politicised and conscious of political violations and human rights in the Muslim world as a radical who should either be neutralized or liquidated outright.

Im glad there is a burgeoning class of educated Muslim youth who understand that the answers lie elsewhere.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.