/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Canada Hijab Phobia Spreads to Judo

islamirama
12-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Canada Hijab Phobia Spreads to Judo

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1195015453169&ampssbinarytrue -

I think they should change the rules because there are lots of different people in the world," said a tearful Outbih.

After several Muslim girls were banned from playing with their football teams for donning hijab, the controversy was spreading to a new sport after 11-year-old kid was thrown out from a national judo tournament, the Toronto Sun reported on Sunday, November 18.

"He said that I can't fight. If I want to fight I have to take it off or I have to leave," Hagar Outbih said while bursting into tears after the tournament's judge refused to allow her to play in the city of Winnipeg.

Dave Minuk, also Judo president in the Canadian province of Manitoba, made the ruling only minutes before Outbih was to begin her match. (I smell an anti-islam rat)

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Wilma_Hum
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/...2821220974642/
Woman: UPS fired me because I'm Muslim
TORONTO, Sept. 9 (UPI) -- A Muslim Canadian woman claims she lost her job scanning boxes at United Parcel Service Inc. because she refused to hike up her long skirt to her knees.

Nadifo Yusuf, 35, told the Canadian Human Rights Commission she had worked at the Toronto delivery plant as a temporary employee for two years wearing a traditional hijab, headscarf and skirt with no problem -- even tucking in her hijab and raising her skirt to mid-calf for safety reasons.

But around April 2005, when her job was changed to a full-time unionized position, she was told to hike her skirt to knee-length or face losing her job for safety reasons, The Toronto Star reported.

"I was working two years and I became unsafe?" she testified before the tribunal.

She and five other Muslim women provided UPS with a letter from a Toronto mosque stating that "the religion of Islam requires all Muslim women to cover her entire body inclusive of the legs, arms, head, ears and neck."

UPS then asked Liberty Mutual Underwriters Canada to conduct a job hazard analysis and risk assessment. Liberty concluded that "for health and safety reasons" workers' skirts should not be longer than knee-length.

Yusuf and seven other Muslim women were fired July 13, 2005.

The women filed a complaint with the commission alleging UPS discriminated against them because of their religion and sex.

Tony
12-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Outragous, as a Taekwondo competition fighter I think this is utter nonsense, the fighters taking part at events are the least prejudiced people you can meet. There is absolute respect for anyone warrior regardless of race, ccustom or ability, being prepared to fight and win or loose with dignity and respect is paramount. Whoever took this descision is a rascist disgrace in a sport that is built upon respect and equality, I dont think it even comes down to Islamaphobia, it is rascism and disgusting. :raging::raging::raging:

Muezzin
12-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Did the judge in question give any justification whatsoever? Is this the first time he's seen a Judo competitor in a headscarf or something?

If it was truly for safety reasons, surely there would be some sort of precedent - written rules etc, stating that nothing may be worn on the head or around the neck. Something.

format_quote Originally Posted by Wilma_Hum
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/...2821220974642/
Woman: UPS fired me because I'm Muslim
TORONTO, Sept. 9 (UPI) -- A Muslim Canadian woman claims she lost her job scanning boxes at United Parcel Service Inc. because she refused to hike up her long skirt to her knees.

Nadifo Yusuf, 35, told the Canadian Human Rights Commission she had worked at the Toronto delivery plant as a temporary employee for two years wearing a traditional hijab, headscarf and skirt with no problem -- even tucking in her hijab and raising her skirt to mid-calf for safety reasons.

But around April 2005, when her job was changed to a full-time unionized position, she was told to hike her skirt to knee-length or face losing her job for safety reasons, The Toronto Star reported.

"I was working two years and I became unsafe?" she testified before the tribunal.

She and five other Muslim women provided UPS with a letter from a Toronto mosque stating that "the religion of Islam requires all Muslim women to cover her entire body inclusive of the legs, arms, head, ears and neck."

UPS then asked Liberty Mutual Underwriters Canada to conduct a job hazard analysis and risk assessment. Liberty concluded that "for health and safety reasons" workers' skirts should not be longer than knee-length.

Yusuf and seven other Muslim women were fired July 13, 2005.

The women filed a complaint with the commission alleging UPS discriminated against them because of their religion and sex.
Health and safety gone mad...

However, she could have just worn trousers instead, no?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Wilma_Hum
12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Did the judge in question give any justification whatsoever? Is this the first time he's seen a Judo competitor in a headscarf or something?

If it was truly for safety reasons, surely there would be some sort of precedent - written rules etc, stating that nothing may be worn on the head or around the neck. Something.

Health and safety gone mad...

However, she could have just worn trousers instead, no?
I would assume she could have worn trousers, but I don't know.
I saw another article about a woman being fired because she refused to take off her headscarf at work. She was a lifeguard at a YMCA swimming pool. But I could not find the article.

I do think something has gone made but I don't think it is "Health and safety".

north_malaysian
12-10-2008, 03:31 AM
I've seen lots of Malaysian Muslim girls wearing hijab in Karate, Taekwondo, Judo, Wushu, Capoeira and Aikido... no problems...

stupid rulings...

ayesha309
12-10-2008, 04:21 AM
there was a similar story about a women who could not work at Toronto Pearson Airport becuase she had lenghtened her skirt which was not "part of the uniform". She had to wear the skirt, cuz that is what was presribed to such staff.
My professor told us about this story. She appealed to the human rights court. im not too sure what happend.

Izyan
12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wilma_Hum
I would assume she could have worn trousers, but I don't know.
I saw another article about a woman being fired because she refused to take off her headscarf at work. She was a lifeguard at a YMCA swimming pool. But I could not find the article.

I do think something has gone made but I don't think it is "Health and safety".
How about the fact that UPS couldn't be insured unless the skirt was knee length?

Wilma_Hum
12-10-2008, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
How about the fact that UPS couldn't be insured unless the skirt was knee length?

As I said "I do think something has gone mad but I don't think it is "Health and safety"".

Safty rules are created for safty not discrimination.

Pygoscelis
12-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I think this is pretty nutty, but that said I don't believe in special rights for religious grounds. So I say so long as I can wear a ski mask anywhere she can wear a hajib, its cool with me.

Al-Zaara
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I don't believe in special rights for religious grounds.
Some rights and laws are more or less orginated from religion based grounds, today not anymore called religious, but doesn't change the fact from were they've come. Maybe one day wearing the hijab will also be just another right, not even trying to remember from where it actually came.

I'm being off-topic, but it was just a thought.

On-topic though, I myself as someone who has practiced/practices martial arts, what would a scarf bother? That you can't grab her hair maybe even "just by mistake"? :p I wonder how this issue continues.

Muezzin
12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
On-topic though, I myself as someone who has practiced/practices martial arts, what would a scarf bother? That you can't grab her hair maybe even "just by mistake"? :p I wonder how this issue continues.
Bigotry never dies.

Al-Zaara
12-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Hmm.. Sad but true, I guess.

smile
12-31-2008, 09:09 PM
and then i thought ppl were so free in canada

nocturnal
12-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Isn't there a higher government body that they can refer the case to?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.