/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who are you talking to online?

islamirama
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Who are you talking to online?

EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ ALL OF THIS and HAVE CHILDREN READ IT TOO!

After tossing her books into the lounge, she decided to grab a snack and get on-line. She logged on under her screen name ByAngel213. She checked her Buddy List and saw GoTo123 was on.
She sent him an instant message:

ByAngel213:
Hi.. I'm glad you are on! I thought someone was following me home today.
It was really weird!

GoTo123:
LOL You watch too much TV.
Why would someone be following you? Don't you live in a safe neighborhood?

ByAngel213:
Of course I do. LOL I guess it was my imagination cuz' I didn't see anybody when I looked out.

GoTo123:
Unless you gave your name out on-line.
You haven't done that have you?

ByAngel213:
Of course not I'm not stupid you know.

GoTo123:
Did you have a basketball game after school today?

ByAngel213:
Yes and we won!!

GoTo123:
That's great! Who did you play?

ByAngel213:
We played the Hornets. LOL. Their uniforms are so gross! They look like bees.
LOL

GoTo123:
What is your team called?

ByAngel213:
We are the Top Cats. We have tiger paws on our uniforms. They are really cool.

GoTo1 23:
Did you score?

ByAngel213:
No I play defence. I got to go. My homework has to be done before my parents get home. I don't want them mad at me.
Bye!

GoTo123:
Catch you later.
Bye

Meanwhile.......GoTo123 went to the member menu and began to search for her profile. When it came up, he highlighted it and printed it out. He took out a pen and began to write down what he knew about Angel so far.

Her name: Shannon
Birthday: Jan.
3, 1985
State where she lived: New South Wales

Hobbies: basketball, chorus, skating and going to the shops. Besides this information, he knew she lived in Charlestown because she had just told him. He knew she stayed by herself until 6:30 p.m. Every afternoon until her parents came home from work. He knew she played basketball on Thursday afternoons on the school team, and the team was named the Top Cats. Her favourite number 7 was printed on her jersey. He knew she was in the eighth grade at the St Mary's High School . She had told him all this in the conversations they had on-line. He had enough information to find her now.

Shannon didn't tell her parents about the incident on the way home from the park that day. She didn't want them to make a scene and stop her from walking home from the ball games. Parents were always overreacting and hers were the worst. It made her wish she was not an only child. Maybe if she had brothers and sisters, her parents wouldn't be so overprotective.

By Thursday, Shannon had forgotten about the footsteps following her.

Her game was in full swing when suddenly she felt someone staring at her. It was then that the memory came back. She glanced up from her position to see a man watching her closely.

He was leaning against the fence behind base and he smiled when she looked at him. He didn't look scary and she quickly dismissed the sudden fear she had felt.

After the game, he sat on a bench while she talked to the coach. She noticed his smile once again as she walked past him. He nodded and she smiled back. He noticed her name on the back of her shirt. He knew he had found her.

Quietly, he walked a safe distance behind her. It was only a few blocks to Shannon's home, and once he saw where she lived he quickly returned to the park to get his car.

Now he had to wait. He decided to get a bite to eat until the time came to go to Shannon 's house. He drove to a fast food restaurant and sat there until time to make his move.

Shannon was in her room later that evening when she heard voices in the living room.

'Shannon, come here,' her father called. He sounded upset and she couldn't imagine why. She went into the room to see the man from the park sitting on the lounge.

'Sit down,' her father began, 'this man has just told us a most interesting story about you.
'

Shannon sat back.
How could he tell her parents anything? She had never seen him before today!

'Do you know who I am,Shannon ?' the man asked.

'No,' Shannon answered.

'I am a police officer and your online friend, GoTo123.
'

Shannon was stunned. 'That's impossible! GoTo is a kid my age! He's 14.
And he lives in Sydney !'

The man smiled. 'I know I told you all that, but it wasn't true. You see, Shannon , there are people on-line who pretend to be kids; I was one of them. But while others do it to injure kids and hurt them, I belong to a group of parents who do it to protect kids from predators. I came here to find you to teach you how dangerous it is to talk to people on-line. You told me enough about yourself to make it easy for me to find you. You named the school you went to, the name of your ball team and the position you played. The number and name on your jersey just made finding you a breeze.
'

Shannon was stunned.
'You mean you don't live in Sydney ?'

He laughed. 'No, I live in Taree.
It made you feel safe to think I was so far away, didn't it?'

She nodded.

'I had a friend whose daughter was like you. Only she wasn't as lucky. The guy found her and murdered her while she was home alone. Kids are taught not to tell anyone when they are alone, yet they do it all the time on-line. The wrong people trick you into giving out information a little here and there on-line.. Before you know it, you have told them enough for them to find you without even realizing you have done it. I hope you've learned a lesson from this and won't do it again.
Tell others about this so they will be safe too?'

-------------
Note:

Not just chatting online via Messengers, but social websites like myspace, hi5, bebo, and others are not safe as well. Many people have things on there they wouldn't even tell their parents and yet they have it displayed there for the whole world. Predators are everywhere, be careful what you say or write online about your personal lives and who you add as friends to your friend's list.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
12-09-2008, 07:10 PM
How disturbing...
So creepy, yet so true.:skeleton:

ayan333
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
:sl:

not only kids but teens and grown people as well.

JazakALLAH Khair for sharing

:w:

~Taalibah~
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
:sl:

Ay scary, man. I guess in a way forums can be used as well.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
12-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Yes, even on forums you have pretenders and predators and gender switchers. Some forums are better than others in their security protocols, especially with female gender and giving access to sister's section.

Re.TiReD
12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
SubhanAllah.

I dislike MSN though, it's so last year :p

Get your kids contracts instead :p

Khalil_Allah
12-10-2008, 06:15 AM
it's so freaky knowing that all of you could be serial rapists.

That's the trouble with chatting on the internet. You put yourself out to even the lowest scum without even realizing it. Especially if you get on facebook and myspace and whatnot... you find that some of the people you meet already know everything about you!

AHHHH!

mohsen1985
12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
is this a true story? or made up?

Periwinkle18
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
JazakAllah for sharing.

Danah
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh jazak allah khair for shaing this brother

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama

Yes, even on forums you have pretenders and predators and gender switchers. Some forums are better than others in their security protocols, especially with female gender and giving access to sister's section.
I think we should be more careful, Subhan allah I was think about this yesterday, is everyone here who viewed as a sister or a brother is really as he viewed by the others:?
I think NO

but alhumdulilah that story had a good end, I was expecting something horrible, like the Amy Boyer Case

Ansariyah
12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Omg so scarry. but how did the guy get on her list?

May Allah protect us all ameen.

Musaafirah
12-11-2008, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohsen1985
is this a true story? or made up?
Regardless of whether or not this is a made up story, the implications are really important. I mean you can see how easy it is to obtain info about people, so at least it's best to not freely give examples of things that can identify you innit?

Faith.
12-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Omg so scary and freaky!
The internet can be so dangerous.

Snowflake
12-12-2008, 09:14 AM
JazakAllahu Khayr

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.