/* */

PDA

View Full Version : In america :D

Mikayeel
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
:sl: :)

I have arrived in america yesterday, in virginia centerville. Are there any nice places around which i must visit? Cuz am going to washington dc nd new york, are there places in there i must visit? I am still getting used to the accent, it sounds very different then in the movies lol, they think i speak weird lol. I had a bad yetlag yesterday, my day was 29 hours! Nd i got searched one to many times in the airport, they were all random lol :p

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
:wasalamex

You got yetlag or jetlag?? Or maybe the accent is influencing you a little? ;D

Masha'Allah, hope you have a great and enjoyable stay insha'Allah I'm planning on going next Summer

WassalamuAlaykum

Mikayeel
12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
^lool

yee that was my dutch history getting the better out of me!, *jetlag* :D

Thanks sister, u should go its a very nice experience, be wary that the security is going to give u a hard time! They ask soo many questions..... like little sneeky trick questions, they try to get u on the sly

:w:

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Hmm really?

Whenever I think of America, Donuts come to mind, so you gotta eat loads ok :p :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
:salamext:

Coool you arrived in America :D

how is the weather there ? I hope not as cold as here :skeleton:

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
o hyeah here in europe is... brrrr :P hehe

have a good time there in usa :)

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rami0323
o hyeah here in europe is... brrrr :P hehe

have a good time there in usa :)
Where do you live?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
poland

unfortunately :D haha

Faith.
12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
America!
Wow ...I've always wanted to go there since I was little, don't know why tho:hmm:
Sounds like a cool place

Whenever I think of America, Donuts come to mind,
Lol Same here, ohh and Starbucks...:D

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 06:51 PM
poland

unfortunately :D haha
Why unfortunately?
My uncle's wife, who happens to live in Virginia, is polish.

Güven
12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
How cold is it there ?

Here in holland right now is around 1 or 2 degree Celsius and its not even winter YET :skeleton:

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
hm... i'd like to live in another country :) we have... a little bit... [...] president haha

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
hm... i'd like to live in another country :) we have... a little bit... [...] president haha
The potato guy? Kaczinsky?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
How cold is it there ?

Here in holland right now is around 1 or 2 degree Celsius and its not even winter YET :skeleton:
in Poland the same - about 3 degrees :) but i thin in america is warmer :D hehe

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Kczynski :D hehei dont like him. most of polish ppl dont like him :)

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
in Poland the same - about 3 degrees :) but i thin in america is warmer :D hehe
America is big.

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Kaczynski :D hehei dont like him. most of polish ppl dont like him :)

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Kczynski :D hehei dont like him. most of polish ppl dont like him :)
What are your thougts on Liga polskih rodzin?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
America is big.
yeah i know :D but i think he is in warmer part of country :D hehe

crayon
12-11-2008, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
Whenever I think of America, Donuts come to mind, so you gotta eat loads ok :p :D
There are no donuts in the UK?:p

format_quote Originally Posted by XxFaithxX
Lol Same here, ohh and Starbucks...:D
Starbucks is MEH.
Drive north a couple of hours and get some Tim Horton's instead. :D

rami0323
12-11-2008, 06:58 PM
What are your thougts on Liga polskih rodzin?
oooooooooooo it's... terrible!
fortunately they aren't in government! it's very, very catholic party. everything what isn't catholic is bad

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 06:59 PM
oooooooooooo it's... terrible!
fortunately they aren't in government! it's very, very catholic party. everything what isn't catholic is bad
Catholic and islamic values are similar.

Na7lah
12-11-2008, 07:03 PM
welcome to the USA :p

lol at the dounuts ;D u came here for vacation?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
yeah but they dont like ppl who arent christian :P it's hard to explain :P u have to live here in poland to unterstand it :D hehe

BlissfullyJaded
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
:sl:

Coool...welcome to the USA! :D Hope you like it inshaAllah.

I think Virginia gets a bit cold, maybe around 7 to 10 Celsius... California and Florida might be the warmer states during winter...and it's even pretty cold here.

Whatever doughnuts you eat, make sure they're not from Krispy Kreme, although I guess that's not in anymore anyway. Those doughnuts are just ick.

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
yeah but they dont like ppl who arent christian :P it's hard to explain :P u have to live here in poland to unterstand it :D hehe
wouldn't want to live there no offence.
Lodž.
Waršawa
Krakow
Zelena Huta
Železowa huta

Na7lah
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Whatever doughnuts you eat, make sure they're not from Krispy Kreme, although I guess that's not in anymore anyway. Those doughnuts are just ick.
we use to hav Dunking Doughnuts here then they closed down imsad they had reaalyy good ones lol

if you're in new york try going to that state park that they hav unfortunetly i haven't been there so i dnt kno how it is but its highly rated :thumbs_up

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

I think Virginia gets a bit cold, maybe around 7 to 10 Celsius... California and Florida might be the warmer states during winter...and it's even pretty cold here.

aha florida is cool :D hehe part of my famliy live there :)

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Whats the most livable state?

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
aha florida is cool :D hehe part of my famliy live there :)
Have you ever been there?

Na7lah
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Whats the most livable state?
what do you mean? :? you can survive in any state

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Have you ever been there?
yes one time some years ago... but i hope i'll go there soon inshALlah

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
what do you mean? :? you can survive in any state
Well, ehich state is the best to live in?

Na7lah
12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Oregon! :hiding: well thats if you like to live in a calm and quite and at the same time busy place :p but it would depend on what kind of place you like

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
hmmm i'd love to live in usa ... i like this country

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
hmmm i'd love to live in usa ... i like this country
You're getting an american rocket shield!

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Oregon! :hiding: well thats if you like to live in a calm and quite and at the same time busy place :p but it would depend on what kind of place you like
What about South Dakota?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:32 PM
yes :D hehe poland ant the czech republic :) but i dont know bcs u have a new president and u know ... ;p ppl in poland are a little bit angry (maybe it's a wroing word) bcs we still have visas to usa... we are one of six countries in UE which has to have visa to go to the usa (i know, my english isnt good hehe)

Na7lah
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
What about South Dakota?
dnt know much about it, u could ask brother woodrow

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
I've noticed how all of his photos show vast prairies and horses, but I didn't know that was South Dakota.
What about Wyoming?

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
yes :D hehe poland ant the czech republic :) but i dont know bcs u have a new president and u know ... ;p ppl in poland are a little bit angry (maybe it's a wroing word) bcs we still have visas to usa... we are one of six countries in UE which has to have visa to go to the usa (i know, my english isnt good hehe)
The secretary of defense is the same though.

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:40 PM
The secretary of defense is the same though.
hehe yes :)

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
hehe yes :)
If you could move to the US, where would it be?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:46 PM
hm... i think i'd move to florida :D surprised? hehe

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
hm... i think i'd move to florida :D surprised? hehe
There's mosquitoes there. And alligators. And a bunch of drunken teens on spring break.

Güven
12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
how is Miami ? :shade:

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
hehe
mosquitoes are everywhere :D
and about teens... i'm a teenager also (no i dont drink and i'm going to start :) bu when i was there i loved it...

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
hehe
mosquitoes are everywhere :D
and about teens... i'm a teenager also (no i dont drink and i'm going to start :) bu when i was there i loved it...
I sense a typo there.
I'm not saying anything, Florida is great. The sunshine state or alternatively America's dick.
Have you been to any other state besides Florida?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I sense a typo there.
I'm not saying anything, Florida is great. The sunshine state or alternatively America's dick.
Have you been to any other state besides Florida?
unfortunately no :| i was in new york for some days :) and thats it

Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
unfortunately no :| i was in new york for some days :) and thats it
Any particualr places you would like to see?

rami0323
12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Any particualr places you would like to see?
yes of course!
Chicago, Washingtopn, Los Angeles and Hollywood, San Francisco...

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
There are no donuts in the UK?:p

Starbucks is MEH.
Drive north a couple of hours and get some Tim Horton's instead. :D
welcome to the USA :p

lol at the dounuts ;D u came here for vacation?
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

we use to hav Dunking Doughnuts here then they closed down imsad they had reaalyy good ones lol

if you're in new york try going to that state park that they hav unfortunetly i haven't been there so i dnt kno how it is but its highly rated :thumbs_up
heyyy there are donuts in the UK but every single bit of American fiction I read from when I was like 12-16 years old always had a mention of donuts, Krispy Kreme to be precise. That Gaia or whatever her name was in Fearless always ate them :p

Heard of dunkin donuts too. Hmm *drools* :p

Faith.
12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Krispy Kreme donuonts are delishious....Yum:D
And fatting for those who are trying to diet:giggling:

Intisar
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
:sl: Lol America has 50 states people, some on the West, some on the East, some in the mid-west, some in the North and some in the South. The weather is therefore completely different and the people speak completely different.

I'm from Canada and I moved to the states about 5-6 months ago and I'm still getting bothered about my accent. Apparently I speak like I'm from the Midwest, ''owwt'' ''howwse'' ''carrrrr'' ''roooowwt'' ''roooof''. It's a bit annoying at times cuz they don't see how they sound.

It's been easy for me to adjust seeing as how Americas my second home and my parents have been here for a really long time.

You're dutch/English, ooohhhh you'll so be bothered about the way you talk, they're gonna ask you to repeat every single sentence a bajillion times.

You're in the DC area, stay until January and visit the White House, Lincoln memorial etc. I went sightseeing there a few years ago, it was so much fun.

Have fun bro.

Soulja Girl
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM

In America are we? :p

Well, hope you have a fab tiime there... :D

Fishman
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Given that you are a Brit in a foregin country, it is now your duty to spend your time watching TV, going to fish and chip shops and lying in. Never, and I repeat never, attempt to do something that can't be done when you are at home. It is very useful in this regard to cultivate a sense that doing so will only result in disappoinment. It is probably too hard to do anyway, so why bother.

Whatsthepoint
12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Given that you are a Brit in a foregin country, it is now your duty to spend your time watching TV, going to fish and chip shops and lying in. Never, and I repeat never, attempt to do something that can't be done when you are at home. It is very useful in this regard to cultivate a sense that doing so will only result in disappoinment. It is probably too hard to do anyway, so why bother.
How popular is fish and chips anyway?

Fishman
12-12-2008, 09:23 PM
It is the only British-speciality food worth eating. And it's not even British.

aadil77
12-12-2008, 09:25 PM
not as much as it was before, still plenty of local chippy's around, now its about the fried chicken, burgers and pizza

Mikayeel
12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
salam bro's nd sister, i did not expect as many replies nd sorry i did not reply back, i will have more time tonight inshAllah nd i will tell u how i find it here nd i will read tru ur posts in more detail. thanks alot :)

Ali.
12-12-2008, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel
salam bro's nd sister, i did not expect as many replies nd sorry i did not reply back, i will have more time tonight inshAllah nd i will tell u how i find it here nd i will read tru ur posts in more detail. thanks alot :)
Hope your havin' a good time bro'!

How did you survive the ridiculously long plane flight :(.

Mikayeel
12-13-2008, 02:06 AM

Hamdulilah i am having alot of fun, although am still trying to get used to everything. I went DC today not for long tho but i had some nice pics.

I have heard wild stories about usa tho like how dangerous it is nd that, nd the accent is just soo annoyin lool (sorry for my american family on LI). I went to this fishfood restaurent in dc, nd i ate away, crabs lobsters oysters raw salmonn, all that funky stuff nd i must say it was nice :D.

The weather today was about 5 degrees celsius, i have noticed however it doesnt rain as much as in the UK, which is a good thing. If i had the option though to go nd live in the USA i would opt for florida, arizona, or California.

Currently am down centreville, virginia which is a very boring village/town/city. Problem is there arent any people my age so i cnt get around nd discover new places nd the public transport is simple not there! So the only way for me to get round is if i get lifts frm bro nd law, nd hes newly married so u know how that goes.

Neway i will keep you updated :)

Mikayeel
12-13-2008, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Hope your havin' a good time bro'!

How did you survive the ridiculously long plane flight :(.
Hamdulilah i like it thus far :)

THe plane journey was really bad nd really tiring i spent 24hours travelling including transits nd all that stuff nd extended airport security checks.

Mikayeel
12-13-2008, 02:12 AM
oeps i forgot to mention, that i will share all my pics with u guys inshAllah. I will take 2 pics of each thing one with me on the picture nd one without me for u guys to look at :D, I got a new nice camera which i dnt know how to operate tho lol :p

Na7lah
12-13-2008, 02:12 AM
nd the accent is just soo annoyin lool (sorry for my american family on LI).
lol i dnt see us as having an accent :p

I went DC today not for long tho but i had some nice pics.
hope you post them on the photography thread

i have noticed however it doesnt rain as much as in the UK, which is a good thing.
its usually freezing weather with no rain in most places, i'd rather it rained though

Intisar
12-13-2008, 02:23 AM
:sl: Lol Americans don't have an accent. :D

Glad you're having fun though, I went to this japanese restaurant in Alexandria a couple of years ago, it was so cool, he was making the food in front of us.

The weather here is extremely cold, i live on the East Coast, lol you should have packed some warm clothes cuz it only gets worse with time during winter.

Woodrow
12-13-2008, 03:03 AM
South Dakota, is very sparsly populated. In terms of area it is the 9 th largest state, but in terms of population it is 47 th in size. Less people live in the entire state, then live in a small city.

The pictures I posted in other threads show the typical scenery a person sees here. Miles of empty prairie land or nearly impassable mountains.

The climate can best be described as being near arctic. We hasve had about 10 days of snow and 3 severe blizzards so far and winter is just beginning.

There are very few Muslims here. Most of the People that are not Native American (American Indian(American Indian) are from Scandinavian countries followed by Polish and German. But, the people are very friendly and show no hostility towards Muslims.

Most of the sites to be seen here are natural sites, such as mountain ranges, flat plains, ancient volcanoes etc, there are also very large deposists of fossils. I believe most dinosaur fossils found in the USA have been found here. There have been also many ice age fossils found such as mammoths, sloth bears, and cave bears.

We are also home of 4 very big Native American Reservations.

Nawal89
12-13-2008, 03:15 AM
^sounds amazing I want to go there now!

Woodrow
12-13-2008, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^sounds amazing I want to go there now!

It is quite a place. At the moment I am in Texas, visiting my Daughter and her family. We are heading back to SD on Tues. It was quite a trip coming down. We got hit by a blizzard and had to slow down to a crawl. In very few places could I go over 30 MPH. I could not see the road at all and had to depend on watching fence posts to be certain I was on the road. Later, even those will be buried under snow.

The weather is very harsh, from Autumn until early Summer. It is not a time to travel unnecessarily. If you have car trouble and break down, it is likely you will be buried under snow in just a few hours and not be found until the Spring thaw in May. I do look at the weather reports and have many provisions packed in the car, such as a power inverter (So I can plug in the electric blankets), spare fuel, Electric blankets, water, food, flash lights, Radios, cell phones, electric heaters, first aide kit etc. I should be able to keep warm and have food enough for a week and pray to Allaah(swt) that I will be able to contact somebody by cell phone.

Laila-
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
wow!!! I soooooo want it to snow here!!!! u're sooooo luuuckkyyyy!!!!

Yanal
11-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Quite an old thread. Old times, I remember brother Mikayeel,my partner in crime..:).

Any other members coming to North America?

Yassouid
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Salaam brother:

If you get anywhere near Central New York you are more than welcome in my house as long as you wish.

IAmZamzam
11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Here are some places to visit in America:

* Washington, D.C. Despite there seeming to be relatively few places to eat that are not Au Bon Pains (you know, that place where they sell you French bread and Orangina), you're very near both Colonial Williamsburg and the local Six Flags, which has Apollo's Chariot, the most exhilarating, fun roller coaster in the world. (Unfortunate for the people of Six Flags that Apollo's Chariot is well known only for being the place wherein Fabio's face was struck with a goose. Please: don't let that deter you. It's awesome.) Most of the tourist attractions are on the relatively crime-free side of town.

* Palm Springs, California. Yeah, there's a sandstorm about once a day, but the place is very beautiful and serene (then again, I like deserts), and Palm Desert Resort is the best hotel I've ever been in.

* Santa Fe, New Mexico. Nothing much to see here, just go for the dishes at the Hotel Santa Fe. You'll be hard pressed to find a better restaurant anywhere. Yes, it would be worth an entire trip.

* Panama City, Florida. Home of Shell Island, the most gorgeous place I've ever seen. No picture can do it justice but here you go.

* Telluride, Colorado. A very quaint little town, apparently still in the Old West, nestled peacefully into the heights of the mountains. Also the home of the Telluride Film Festival.

* Oahu, Hawaii. I hesitate to recommend it because the roads are crazily lethal, but as long as you stay off H1 and H2 (in fact, off the highways altogether if you can avoid it), you should be all right. Very beautiful, very pleasant weather. Try snorkeling with the dolphins and sea turtles at Paradise Cove.

* New York City. Lots of places to visit, lots of shows to see. The Guinness world record keepers have a museum in the basement of the Empire State Building. Don’t wear bright colors or the people there will see you as a “Clevelander” (i.e. outsider) and mug you. Then again, they’ll probably mug you anyway.

Here are some places to avoid:

* Tahlequah, Oklahoma. The place has a seriously bad vibe to it.

* Most of Pennsylvania, which is just one cornfield after another after another.

* Hoboken, New Jersey. Or as I prefer to call it, Mordor.

* Arkansas. The only place in Arkansas worth visiting is the Ozarks, and the roads there are too treacherous for it to really be worth it. Well, all right, there’s Lake Hamilton, but unless you’re a real lake buff (and I don’t even know if they have those) I don’t think you’ll care. If you absolutely must visit Arkansas, just drive in, have some the best hamburgers in the world (we got ‘em), and drive back out. I should know; I’ve lived here for about twenty years.

Ramadhan
12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Hoboken, New Jersey. Or as I prefer to call it, Mordor.
If you call Hoboken mordor, I can only imagine what name you will give to newark.

Woodrow
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Here are some places to avoid:

* Tahlequah, Oklahoma. The place has a seriously bad vibe to it.
Actually I liked it there. Just avoid the Bingo hall. Visit the Tribal Headquarters and read about the Trail of Tears. Try to find some Authenticate Native American handiwork, especially Baskets. Beautiful scenery traveling north up to the areas around Wyandotte and Grand Lake of the Cherokee

IAmZamzam
12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
If you call Hoboken mordor, I can only imagine what name you will give to newark.
"Mordor's bloated twin brother."

Woodrow: you didn't feel the vibe? My sister lived in Tahlequah when she went to school and she flat out told me when I went there to help her move out, "This places has some bad ju ju in the air" and she was glad to move away.

Woodrow
12-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Woodrow: you didn't feel the vibe? My sister lived in Tahlequah when she went to school and she flat out told me when I went there to help her move out, "This places has some bad ju ju in the air" and she was glad to move away.
Looking back I think I can see why there would be a feeling of bad vibes to a person with no Cherokee ties. When I lived there my wife at the time was Cherokee and I speak fairly good Tsalagi so I was accepted as being Cherokee. The Cherokee like the Lakotah were nearly made extinct by the US government. All Cherokee there have suffered greatly from the wasichu or have living relatives who suffered atrocities under the hands of the US government. There is a lot of distrust for people who are not Cherokee, until they can prove they are not pro US government.

IAmZamzam
12-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Who says I'm not Cherokee? I'm descended from Gall himself. The Winter Chaser line, I believe it's called.

The place itself has the vibes. My sister was glad to get away from it and so was I, even after spending less than a day there. Maybe some people simply don't pick up on it.

IAmZamzam
12-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I've just thought of a better description of Newark: it's what Gotham City would be if it were a lot less interesting.

In fact, it is conceivable that Gotham City is based on Newark, as (in the comics, at least) it's supposed to be somewhere in New Jersey.

IAmZamzam
12-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Which I guess makes Hoboken Bludhaven.

Woodrow
12-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Who says I'm not Cherokee? I'm descended from Gall himself. The Winter Chaser line, I believe it's called.

The place itself has the vibes. My sister was glad to get away from it and so was I, even after spending less than a day there. Maybe some people simply don't pick up on it.
I just learned something new.

Up until now the only native American named Gall (Phizi in Lakota) I knew of was Chief Gall (Phizi) of the Hunkpapa Lakotah.

He was a giant in terms of typical Lakota and at his peak weighed over 300 pounds of solid Muscle. He was also a brilliant military leader and was with Sitting Bull at little Big Horn. Later when Sitting Bull began following the Ghost Dancers the friendship between them ended and Gall severed ties with Sitting Bull. While I am up here at the Standing rock Rez. Where Tatanka Iyotake (Sitting Bull) spent his last years and many of his descents live here Sitting bull is the Big Name. But When I lived in south Dakota Phizi is considered the greatest warrior and Chief. I can not remember the name of the clan he was from outside of being Hunkpapa Lakotah which I think means long runners.

IAmZamzam
12-03-2010, 03:22 AM
That's what I meant. Shame on me. I get my tribes mixed up, being from a strange mixture of thee of them (Cherokee, Lakota, Creek). Had you been talking to my parents or my sister, they would never have made that stupid mistake. In fact, they could probably tell you all about the guy.

Ramadhan
12-03-2010, 04:02 AM
:hmm:

I actually lived in Newark for 4 months, near Rutgers University campus.

But yes, mordor's bloated twin brother is an apt name for it. :D
I heard gunshots at nights, and that is more gunshots than from the rest of my life combined (including living through Jakarta's riots in 1998).
What I found weird about Newark was that there are so many nail shops and hair salons in downtown area.

Woodrow
12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
That's what I meant. Shame on me. I get my tribes mixed up, being from a strange mixture of thee of them (Cherokee, Lakota, Creek). Had you been talking to my parents or my sister, they would never have made that stupid mistake. In fact, they could probably tell you all about the guy.
It can get to be confusing. There were many great chiefs among the Cherokee, Lakotah and Creek.

Odd tho we both feel so different about Tahlequah. Perhaps we lived there in different eras. We lived there in 1989 and 1990 Both my wife and myself were 50 years old then. Wilma Mankiller was Chief of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma at that time, she was a great leader for them. We found Tahlequah to be a beautiful small town filled with Cherokee heritage and everybody there followed the Red Road.

IAmZamzam
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I never lived there, only my sister did. But really, when I'm descended from someone so famous I have an obligation to remember such broad and key details as the very tribe.

Woodrow
12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I never lived there, only my sister did. But really, when I'm descended from someone so famous I have an obligation to remember such broad and key details as the very tribe.
You have a very noble ancestry. You may not know it but the Native Traditional Religion of the Lakotah is so similar to Islam I am convinced that at one time long before the Christian Missionaries came, they were pious Muslims. The Tribal laws are virtually the same as Sharia.

The Hunkpapa had some very great leaders. Gall, Sitting Bull, Rain-in-the-Face and Black Elk to name a few. You may wish to learn more about your ancestors.

A little about the Sioux in General:

THE SIOUX NATION WAS AND IS, COMPRISED OF 3 MAJOR SUB-DIVISIONS:

LAKOTA – or Teton: Prairie Dwellers – with Seven Bands:

Oglala – They Scatter Their Own or Dust Scatters
Sicangu – or Brule: Burnt Thighs
Hunkpapa – End of the Circle
Miniconjous – Planters Beside the Stream
Sihasapa – or Blackfeet: NOTE – not the commonly known Blackfeet/Blackfoot Tribe
Itazipacola – or Sans Arcs: Without Bows; also known as Oohenupa/Two Boilings or Two Kettles”

THE DAKOTA OR SANTEE - with Four Bands:

Mdeakantonwon:
Wahpeton
Wahpekute
Sisseton

THE NAKOTA OR YANKTON with Three Bands:

Yankton
Upper Yankton
Lower Yankton

The above is from this site: If you ever get a chance you may want to visit Pine Ridge Oglala Reservation in South Dakotah. The Banks of the Grand River at Pine Ridge was the original home of the Hunkpapa. Pine Ridge is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but the poverty is heart breaking and the fact that nearly all of the young have abandoned the Red Road and now live a life of alcohol and drugs. I know many of the Tribal elders and Inshallah one day true programs will be put in place to guide the youth away from the temptations of the Wasichu.

For a video view of Pine Ridge:

IAmZamzam
12-03-2010, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You have a very noble ancestry.
What matters is whether or not I myself am noble.

You may not know it but the Native Traditional Religion of the Lakotah is so similar to Islam I am convinced that at one time long before the Christian Missionaries came, they were pious Muslims. The Tribal laws are virtually the same as Shariah
I wouldn't be too surprised. Since God sent prophets to every part of the world, some places must have ended up with more of the original truths than others eons later.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.