/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Earth enjoys full moon close-up

highway_trekker
12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
A full moon has occurred closer to the Earth than it has done at any time for the past 15 years.

The Moon's elliptical orbit means its distance from the Earth is not constant.

It was a little over 350,000km away as it passed over the northern hemisphere, about 30,000km closer than usual.

Astronomers said the moon would appear brighter and larger than usual, but the sky in the UK was almost completely covered by cloud.

Closest path

Friday's full moon was predicted to appear up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons this year, according to Nasa.

The Moon's orbit is elliptical, meaning it does not follow a circular but rather an oval path.

It has reached the point where this oval orbit is nearest to the Earth.

"It's only every few years that a full moon happens to coincide with the part of the Moon's orbit when its closest to the Earth," said Marek Kukula, an astronomer at the UK's Royal Observatory.

The moon appears largest as it rises and sets, but this is a psychological illusion, Dr Kukula said.

"When it's close to the horizon, our brain interprets it as being bigger than it actually is, this is called the moon illusion," he said.

"The size may be striking when it's near the horizon," said Robert Massey of the UK Royal Astronomical Society.

However, he cautioned against expecting too much.

"The Moon may be brighter and may appear somewhat larger, but it's really quite hard for the eye to notice the difference; the eye will compensate for the extra brightness, it's not like going from night to day," said Dr Massey.

The Moon's brightness varies throughout its annual cycle, during the mid-winter in the northern hemisphere it can appear brighter simply because it is higher in the sky.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7779294.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
12-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeh i looked yesterday it was ..uhmm...i couldnt realy see the difference but full moons are always nice SubhanAllah

:wasalamex

Olive
12-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Yea... the moon has seemed to grow. :p

Abdu-l-Majeed
12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Years back, I was in elementary school, I went out somewhere in the evening and saw the Moon and it was biiiiiig. :D Then, I got scared, and almost asked someone from my family to move to another place, because it could happen that the Moon moved towards us. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.