/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Surat al Rum - 30

Khalil_Allah
12-14-2008, 06:35 PM
:sl:
Most of the time I just read the qur'an with no focus. I just read and think a little after each section. But I don't think this is the best way to learn, you have to really engage with it.

So, I am thinking about taking on a big study of just one particular surah. And I have made my pick. Surah 30, Surat al-RUM! I opened my Arabic only Quran and somehow I turned right to this surah. Then I went to my YusufAli interpretation and I read the introduction in there. I want to type out everything that it says because I think it conveys very important meanings for our times!

But anywho if someone wants to join me, I'm thinking about spending a lot of time with this particular surah, inshallah. Particularly while I don't have school studies at this time.

Inshallah we can conclude our study by contemplating the guidance we should take from it and, perchance, by reciting it from our memory.

Maybe you can help me by just adding your bits of knowledge about this particular surah, and even post things that you find interesting. You can even post about interesting points of the recitation. Or point out ayah that rock your world. :thumbs_up

May Allah swt accept our efforts to understand His message!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khalil_Allah
12-16-2008, 03:45 AM
Do I have to be a salesman to get someone to join me here?

Bismillahir rahmanir rahim,
Alif Lam Miim
Ghulibati al-rum...

I've now read the surah twice and listened to it three times in Arabic (which is purely for the beauty of hearing it, seeing as I don't speak Arabic).

I am working on taking the words, finding the root word, and translating it using an arabic dictionary. Then, I am going to look at the words and try to make sentences out of it. Then I got my grammar books to verify my understanding.

InshaAllah, this process will help me learn both the meaning of the Word of Allah and new insight to the Arabic language.

I wish I had a stick to poke some people to join me....

Ghulibati comes from ghulaba, to defeat. Al-Rum is Rome. Defeat Rome?

Either Rome is defeating someone or Rome has defeated someone. Or Rome will defeat someone. Or vice versa, someone will defeat Rome, rome has been defeated, etc....

Well, starting at Wikipedia (and the AYA Qur'an), a little background will explain the historical background of this Surah and shed light on the meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith_...in_Sura_al-Rum.

This Surah contains a miracle of prophecy! Is that enough of a sell to entice someone to join me in this search for understanding?

We could also interpret the meaning of the ayah by examining the Arabic language from a grammatical standpoint, but I am not certain of the ins and outs of Arabic grammar. I'm sure that the word "ghulibati" signals past tense etc.

If no one joins me, then I'm just going to do it myself, inshaAllah, and I will post up the progress of some white kid learning Qur'an.

nightingale
12-16-2008, 04:17 AM
I join :-)

From Tafsir Ibn Kathir

Abu `Isa At-Tirmidhi recorded that Niyar bin Mukram Al-Aslami said: "When the following Ayat were revealed:

[الم - غُلِبَتِ الرُّومُ - فِي أَدْنَى الْأَرْضِ وَهُم مِّن بَعْدِ غَلَبِهِمْ سَيَغْلِبُونَ - فِي بِضْعِ سِنِينَ ]

(Alif Lam Mim. The Romans have been defeated. In the nearest land, and they, after their defeat, will be victorious. In Bid` years.) on the day they were revealed, the Persians were prevailing over the Romans. The Muslims wanted the Romans to prevail over them (the Persians), because they were both people who followed a Book. Concerning this Allah said:

[وَيَوْمَئِذٍ يَفْرَحُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ - بِنَصْرِ اللَّهِ يَنصُرُ مَن يَشَاء وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الرَّحِيمُ]

(And on that day, the believers will rejoice -- with the help of Allah. He helps whom He wills, and He is the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful.) The Quraysh, on the other hand, wanted the Persians to prevail, because neither of them were people who followed a Book and neither of them believed in the Resurrection. When Allah revealed these Ayat, Abu Bakr went out proclaiming throughout Makkah:

[الم - غُلِبَتِ الرُّومُ - فِي أَدْنَى الْأَرْضِ وَهُم مِّن بَعْدِ غَلَبِهِمْ سَيَغْلِبُونَ - فِي بِضْعِ سِنِينَ ]

(Alif Lam Mim. The Romans have been defeated. In the nearest land, and they, after their defeat, will be victorious. In Bid` years.) Some of the Quraysh said to Abu Bakr: `This is (a bet) between us and you. Your companion claims that the Romans will defeat the Persians within three to nine years, so why not have a bet on that between us and you' Abu Bakr said, `Yes.' This was before betting had been forbidden. So, Abu Bakr and the idolators made a bet, and they said to Abu Bakr: `What do you think, Bid` means something between three and nine years, so let us agree on the middle.' So they agreed on six years. Then six years passed without the Romans being victorious, so the idolators took what they had bet with Abu Bakr. When the seventh year came and the Romans were finally victorious over the Persians, the Muslims rebuked Abu Bakr for agreeing on six years. He said: `Because Allah said: "In Bid` years.''' At that time, many people became Muslim.'' This is how it was narrated by At-Tirmidhi, then he said, "This is a Hasan Hadith.''

Khalil_Allah
12-16-2008, 04:47 AM
OMG YES! Jazakallah khair sister! Thank you for joining me! This is such a wonderful story and you have added to my knowledge! May Allah swt reward you for teaching me a bit of our deen, ameen!

Here is a quick quiz question that you can give a try:

How many of Allah's swt names can you find (in this surah)? I found three (not including bismillahir rahmanir rahim)! SUBHANALLAH!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nightingale
12-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I found 5, apart from "Allah".

Your turn to find the rest :)

Ansariyah
12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
:salamext: :- )

38. So give to the kindred his due, and to Al-Miskin (the poor) and to the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek Allah's Countenance, and it is they who will be successful.

45. That He may reward those who believe and work righteous deeds, out of his Bounty. For He loves not those who reject Faith.

- Qatada -
12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
asalaam alaikum

brother;

http://tafsir.com

thats a really good site with explanation of Qur'anic verses :)

Whatsthepoint
12-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Off topic, whats the Arabic word for rum as in alcoholic beverage?

al Amaanah
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
^ ar room = the romans.

Khalil_Allah
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
lol its HARAM or MUNKAR:X

- Qatada -
12-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Anything which intoxicates a persons mind is known as khamr, so drugs or alcohol which have that effect are called this.

Khamr also refers to a womans clothing in public and literally means 'covering', in this context - it would mean that it 'covers' the mind, i.e. befogs it so that it doesn't think in the correct way.

Allah knows best

yasin ibn Ahmad
12-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I think it is
الرَّمّ

nightingale
12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
"Off topic" should be left off the thread.

So verily you cannot make the dead to hear, nor can you make the deaf to hear the call, when they show their backs and turn away. (verse 52)

Nor can you lead back the blind from their straying: you can make to hear only those who believe in Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), and have submitted to Allah in Islam. (verse 53)

Thus does Allah seal up the hearts of those who understand not. (verse 59)

So be patient. Verily, the Promise of Allah is true, and let not those who have no certainty of faith, discourage you from conveying Allah's Message (which you are obliged to convey). (verse 60)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.