/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women intellectually deficient?

Confused0122
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Salam..
In Behishti Zewar, or Heavenly Ornaments in English, the author says that if a girl is shameless, she shouldn't be taught to write because she might write things to men.. He also says that women are intellectually deficient when compared to men.. How is this proven? Shouldn't all people be given an education regardless of sex since islam is about equality? It is up to the person whether he/she wants to use it positively or negatively and they will deal with Allah s.w.t. in the afterlife. Additionally, he said that women should be allowed to acquire islamic knowledge and basic things but not other subjects because if those subjects are required so that a woman can become employed and work, it is "fruitless" and against shariah because women aren't allowed to work with men and her husband should provide for her.. This is not the case all the time. What if her husband taunts her when providing food for her or she doesn't even have a husband? Are women not supposed to work because of non mahram men? Men work with na mahram women in offices and so forth, shouldn't women be able to do the same. Allah s.w.t. sees and knows if a woman is merely trying to earn a living or if she has bad intentions in her heart. Somebody please clarify!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdu-l-Majeed
12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
:wasalamex

Everyone can make such claims, not everyone can support them. I think you shouldn't pay attention to that, until you see someone coming out with proofs. You don't need to find proofs for his statements.

PS: If women are deficient in intelligence, then 'Aisha, radiyallahu anha, wouldn't be one of the most learned persons in the history of Islam. Shaykh al Islam Ibn Taymiyya had a few female professors.

Confused0122
12-14-2008, 10:40 PM
THank you brother but there is also a hadith I believe that goes something along the lines of: The Prophet (the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said: "Yes." He said: "This is because of the deficiency of her mind."
That's the only reason it hits me so hard.. because I believe that maybe Allah s.w.t. thinks like that of women when in reality, it isn't our fault for being created a certain way.

Musaafirah
12-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Sis,
I have the book and personally don't agree with alot of the things the person says. (Was given it as a gift...)
And as the bro above said, look at the example of Aisha (RA). Masha'allah such knowledge.
Personally, I think they were merely the dudes opinions, aside from that, the book does have beneficial aspects.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it stated somewhere that;
'Gaining knowledge is compulsory upon every Muslim male and female.'
So, gaining knowledge is essential. What matters is what you do with it, for which you will be accountable.
I'm sorry if I haven't been of help sis.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Confused0122
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you sister.. Yes it does say that but the guy interprets it as islamic knowledge, knowledge of deen, not one such as college in america that would aid in getting a good job and supporting yourself.

Abdu-l-Majeed
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Confused0122
THank you brother but there is also a hadith I believe that goes something along the lines of: The Prophet (the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said: "Yes." He said: "This is because of the deficiency of her mind."
That's the only reason it hits me so hard.. because I believe that maybe Allah s.w.t. thinks like that of women when in reality, it isn't our fault for being created a certain way.
Sis,

sometimes it happens to me too that Shaytan comes and says such things. But we don't know much about our religion and it's easy for Shaytan to say such things to us.

Take a look at this: http://madeenah.com/article.cfm?id=1134 and this: http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showp...7&postcount=10

islamirama
12-14-2008, 10:50 PM
In Islam, one male witness equals two females: The Quran says (what means): "And get two witnesses out of your men. If there are not two men, then a man and two women such as you choose [maybe in place of two men as the witnesses]; so that if one of the women errs, the other one will remind her..." [Quran 2:282]

Here again, many people tend to denounce Islamic principles as unjust to women. They tend to interpret this requirement as proof of men's superiority over women. Again, this assumption is not true. In fact, various psychological and biological studies conducted on the psyche and hormonal functions of women, have proved that men generally tend to react more rationally and less emotionally, than women.

In cases of crime, for example, torn bodies and pouring blood are more likely to spur an emotional reaction among women than among men. This reaction is alone capable of distorting the female's perception and/or memory.

On the other hand, men are also bound by rules concerning their testimony. For instance, they must not be parents, friends or enemies of the accused. Can we then conclude that, if it was the case for women, that male parents and friends of the accused must be considered inferior too? Of course, they are not.

Finally, one should note that there are matters where a woman is the only witness required. These are related to areas where women are the experts, for example, in issues of breast feeding, bringing up children and the question of kinship (who is her child's father).

http://islamweb.net/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=119872

Confused0122
12-14-2008, 10:50 PM
thank you.. what about this hadith: Volume 4, Book 52, Number 73:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin Abi Aufa:

Allah's Apostle said, "Know that Paradise is under the shades of swords."
-------------------------------------
many non muslims ask abuot this and say that islam isnt a religion of peace, but quite the opposite.. what can i do?

Abdu-l-Majeed
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM

many non muslims ask abuot this and say that islam isnt a religion of peace, but quite the opposite.. what can i do?
Ukhti-l-kareemah, You have some good stuff here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2282452/An...s-About-Islam#

islamirama
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM

What about the hadith: Paradise is under the feet of your mother? How many non-Muslims know that one?

Misquoted narration #3
Bukhari: Allah's Apostle said, "Know that Paradise is under the shades of swords." (Volume 4, Book 52, Number 73)
This narration is quoted by some in order to depict Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as someone who glorified violence and killing. However, if the full saying is quoted in context, that image is immediately banished. The full saying is found in another narration:
...Allah's Apostle in one of his military expeditions against the enemy, waited till the sun declined and then he got up amongst the people saying, "O people! Do not wish to meet the enemy, and ask Allah for safety, but when you face the enemy, be patient, and remember that Paradise is under the shades of swords." Then he said, "O Allah, the Revealer of the Holy Book, and the Mover of the clouds and the Defeater of the clans, defeat them, and grant us victory over them."(Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 266l)
This narration makes it abundantly clear that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught his followers to hate violence and never desire conflict with the enemy. However, in the event of a battle, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) encouraged his companions to be patient and informed them of the reward promised by God to those who die fighting oppression and injustice. This saying should be presented in its full context so that the reader may see that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was a man who desired peace and patiently endured the struggles thrust upon him by his enemies. As Dr. Jamal Badawi mentioned about this narration:
The hadith deals with the situation where Muslims are forced to the battlefield as the last resort to defend themselves in which case the use of the sword may be necessary and martyrdom (self-sacrifice) is rewarded with Paradise. (SOURCE)
I suggest you visit this link:

http://www.load-islam.com/artical_de...on=wel_islam#1

Confused0122
12-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Thank you.

aamirsaab
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
:sl:
Quran 2:282 relates to business transactions.

Look up the full verse, it actually tells you.

YusufNoor
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

please listen to this lecture by Mufti Menk. it will, In Sha'a Allah, ease your mind!

Muslim Women! Are they Oppressed?
http://www.nazirakoob.com/menk/Vol1.html#Part8

:w:

themuffinman
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
the hadiths regarding the sword is taken out of context. prophet muhammad was peace loving yes and he loved peace but he also preached to fight against injustice and opression and thats what makes islam great it teaches us to depend ourselves. islam is a religion of peace but it doesnt teach us to suffer peacefully. were followers of muhammad not ghandi

akulion
01-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Salam alaikum,

The The "deficiency" in mind/brain has been explained by the Prophet (s) as "the witness of two women = witness of 1 man"...now one must question why is this the case to get an answer.

The reasoning behind it is because women by their "created nature" are more nurturing and emotional, which in some cases makes them more liable to "sway" to protect those elements which they may feel more closer to (i.e. kids, loved ones)

Luckily for us, we have evidence from science to support this through studies conducted independently at UCLA and University of Pennsylvania.

In a recent research it was proven that the brains of men and women react differently when put in stressful situations or if pain is administered.

"Although researchers found some overlapping areas of brain activation in men and women, several areas of male and female brains reacted differently when given the same pain stimulus. The female brain showed greater activity in limbic regions, which are emotion-based centers. In men, the cognitive regions, or analytical centers, showed greater activity."[1]

"The female limbic regions may be more responsive under threat because of their importance in triggering a nurturing and protecting response for the young, leading to a more emotion-based response in facing pain and stress."[1]

In both those cases the female brain activated the "emotional component" of the brain and was more "negotiating and nurturing". In terms of "creation" by the very created nature of the woman she is more nurturing and negotiating toward elements surrounding her due to the fact she needs those traits to ensure the safety of her offspring.

Whereas the male brain reacted by activating an area of the brain which makes our reactions more efficient and alert also known as "fight of flight" behavior. Once again by the very nature of men they turn more analytical and stay more composed as opposed to women reacting more emotionally.

So in conclusion all I can say is that women may be lacking (i.e. deficient) in the aspect of not reacting more logically as opposed to men. However at the same time men are deficient in their emotional component where they remain more "detached" as opposed to women. So really one is neither better than the other or superior but rather a complimentary pair. where a male and female in the true sense "complete" each other.

Subhan allah :)

Anyways this was my 2 cents.

The articles on the original research are:
Men Are From Mars
Neuroscientists Find That Men And Women Respond Differently To Stress

http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2..._from_mars.htm
Gender Differences In Brain Response To Pain
[1]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1105064626.htm

sur
01-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Female memory goes up with higher estrogen levels.
Female memory fluctuates with menstrual cycle......
After menopause, estrogen level drops.....

Female are known to be more emotional & emotions play greater role in their behaviour than reality..........!!!!! Correct me if i'm wrong.

Whatsthepoint
01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Female memory goes up with higher estrogen levels.
Female memory fluctuates with menstrual cycle......
After menopause, estrogen level drops.....

Female are known to be more emotional & emotions play greater role in their behaviour than reality..........!!!!! Correct me if i'm wrong.
There is no practical evidence to suggest women have a weaker memory than men.

Banu_Hashim
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
This is an abstract of an article in "The Journal of Islamic Studies" (University of Oxford Press) of a famous Muslim Philosopher; Ibn Rushd (Averroes).

The abstract doesn't go into the specifics of his views but you read the actual article you'll see that his views on women are very different from an Islamic point of view to those of Western Scholars such as Plato and Aristotle.

http://jis.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...bstract/20/1/1

Khalisah
01-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Although I have no proof for what I am about to say, but in general I have always found, women are more into 'story-teling' where as men are into facts. Even as children, girls will love a some-one reading a story book, where everything is much more exagerated and cute and, where as boys will be happy reading a book on facts.
Could this show that when asking a woman for evidence she may re-tell it like a story and also perhaps add/remove information to make it more appealing/graphic etc.. Where as IN GENERAL men will only lay out facts. In my family men only speak mininally, so they would rather just give facts and be done with it, so as not prolong conversation. I am sure there are exceptions! That is just my opinion I guess.

sur
01-25-2009, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
There is no practical evidence to suggest women have a weaker memory than men.
Post below is one example by woman herself... Though it's not about "Memory" it's about emotional aspect of females. Why women are stereotyped for "gossiping around". They would modify what they here & pass it forward & it goes on till fact is badly distorted. At least i see this going on around in my family, so i do have a practical evidence to convince me.

format_quote Originally Posted by Khalisah
Although I have no proof for what I am about to say, but in general I have always found, women are more into 'story-teling' where as men are into facts. Even as children, girls will love a some-one reading a story book, where everything is much more exagerated and cute and, where as boys will be happy reading a book on facts.
Could this show that when asking a woman for evidence she may re-tell it like a story and also perhaps add/remove information to make it more appealing/graphic etc.. Where as IN GENERAL men will only lay out facts. In my family men only speak mininally, so they would rather just give facts and be done with it, so as not prolong conversation. I am sure there are exceptions! That is just my opinion I guess.

& about memory deterioration in low estrogen phases during menstrual cycles & after menopause:-
http://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/news/item/?item_id=20786
....in PRE-menopausal(Young) women...........McGill University have documented a significant decrease in working memory among women whose estrogen levels were suppressed by chemicals,.......
That low estrogen stage occurs every month among females with menstrual cycles.....

http://www.nymemory.org/menmemandmoo.html
Menopause symptoms due to estrogen deficits, include memory problems

Obese produce more estrogen in fat under skin so have less memory loss after menopause coz their estrogen levels drop less.
This is one of best medical research sites.......
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...earch=14749133

Silver
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
McGill University have documented a significant decrease in working memory among women whose estrogen levels were suppressed by chemicals
Estrogen levels were SUPPRESSED here and during the menstrual cycle, estrogen levels do drop but they are not suppressed so the drop of estrogen is not enough to cause memory problems.

If there is a link between estrogen and memory then men must also have memory problems, since men have lower estrogen levels than women. Besides this is only a research and they have to give evidence which they have not provided yet...

I do not believe that men have better memories than women do. In my med school, there isn't any difference in academic performance between males and females...there would be a difference if men had better memories since in med school almost everything is based on memorization...

Silver
01-25-2009, 03:03 PM
McGill University have documented a significant decrease in working memory among women whose estrogen levels were suppressed by chemicals
Estrogen levels were SUPPRESSED here and during the menstrual cycle, estrogen levels do drop but they are not suppressed so the drop of estrogen is not enough to cause memory problems.

If there is a link between estrogen and memory then men must also have memory problems, since men have lower estrogen levels than women. Besides this is only a research and they have to give evidence which they have not provided yet...

I do not believe that men have better memories than women do. In my med school, there isn't any difference in academic performance between males and females...there would be a difference if men had better memories since in med school almost everything is based on memorization...

Zamtsa
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
The Prophet (the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said: "Yes." He said: "This is because of the deficiency of her mind."

This Hadits is Shahih.

The Hadits about Heaven under the shade of sword. this means that Jihad Fi Sabilillah will always happen until Al Qiyamah, and when a Khalifah is being Bai'at by Muslimin, and he declare Jihad Fi Sabilillah, then if we disobey that, we will enter Naar first, before going to Heaven.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

sur
01-26-2009, 01:30 AM
First of all, i am NOT trying to offend women, I am just trying to explain Prophet's saying in light of science.

format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Changes occur during menstrual cycle in area of brain that is involved in memory storage that account for cognitive changes during cycle.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://www.physorg.com/news8169.html

If there is a link between estrogen and memory then men must also have memory problems, since men have lower estrogen levels than women.
I can't believe, being a doctor u are saying this :) that's another proof why women's cognition can be "defective" more frequently than men, as prophet said. There was a sister who was also a doctor on this forum who argued with me saying that anabolic steroids that bodybuilders use, cause muscle breakdown..... I told her she was confusing glucocorticoids with anabolic steroids & instead of admitting her mistake she kept on & on with her theory....... Another proof that females can get things wrong especially during some phases of their cycles.

Yes there's a link b/w estrogen & memory, BUT only in females. In males it's testosterone not estrogen that plays same role.

e.g., Men with prostate cancer treated with testosterone suppression therapy suffer memory loss....
Besides this is only a research and they have to give evidence which they have not provided yet...
Research is the proof....!!! what else evidence u r expecting.

Medicine is based on research. Research has proved it..... Prophet had said it.....
Hadees doesn't say defficiency in women is of "MEMORY".
It just points out some deficiency that can affect women's cognitive performance in a way that it became necessary to get testimony of 2 women in place of one man as a precaution because chances of woman getting memory loss during premenstrual syndrome*** are high & more frequent than man losing memory........... Cognition includes memory & also ability to perform mental tasks. Above mentioned researches prove that there IS indeed fluctuations in female cognition (including memory)

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/prem...l-syndrome.cfm
...PMS symptoms occur in the week or two weeks before your period ...
Symptome......trouble concentrating or remembering ..........tension, irritability, mood swings, or crying spells, anxiety or depression
So with female witness there's a possibility, every month, of losing memory & concentration.... &..... mood swings.... all these things can affect her testifying ability that's why as precaution Prophet declared to have 2 women witnesses.........

index123
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
This is definitely not the case, in the quran it clearly says: from (Qur'an 3:36).. " and God knew best what she brought forth — 'And no wise is the male like the female". bingo this person needs to brush up on his quran.

index123
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
sorry nevermind it seems I misunderstood that, sorry someone delete my post and the one above me. I was thinking about the literally meaning of 'wise"

akulion
01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
well anyone bother reading my post :P lol

aamirsaab
01-26-2009, 10:23 PM

....what are we arguing about?

Ar-RaYYan
01-27-2009, 12:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

....what are we arguing about?
whether women have a weaker memory than men :blind:

'Abd-al Latif
01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Salam..
In Behishti Zewar, or Heavenly Ornaments in English, the author says that if a girl is shameless, she shouldn't be taught to write because she might write things to men.. He also says that women are intellectually deficient when compared to men.. How is this proven? Shouldn't all people be given an education regardless of sex since islam is about equality? It is up to the person whether he/she wants to use it positively or negatively and they will deal with Allah s.w.t. in the afterlife. Additionally, he said that women should be allowed to acquire islamic knowledge and basic things but not other subjects because if those subjects are required so that a woman can become employed and work, it is "fruitless" and against shariah because women aren't allowed to work with men and her husband should provide for her.. This is not the case all the time. What if her husband taunts her when providing food for her or she doesn't even have a husband? Are women not supposed to work because of non mahram men? Men work with na mahram women in offices and so forth, shouldn't women be able to do the same. Allah s.w.t. sees and knows if a woman is merely trying to earn a living or if she has bad intentions in her heart. Somebody please clarify!
I haven't heard or read (if it's a book) of the Heavenly Ornaments but I wanted to comment on the part that i've highted in bold in the quote above. Islam is not about equility it's about justice. A man can do somethings that a woman cannot do and vice versa, so Islam doesn't give men and woman equal rights it gives them even rights.

I don't agree with what 'Heavenly Ornaments' have said for the reasons that I personally haven't come across any such thing in the Islamic prespective, rather there are certain times that a woman may need to work out of necessity and even then the scholars have given rulings and conditions which must be carried out.

What I do agree with though is the fact that woman have been created different to men and the female's intellect and memory is lesser then that of a male. There are hadith which state this, but this doesn't mean that a woman is lesser then a man, rather there is a wisdom behind it.

Why are there more women in hell than men?

It was narrated from the Prophet (saaws) that women will form the majority of the people of Hell. It was narrated from ‘Imraan ibn Husayn that the Prophet (saaws) said: "I looked into Paradise and I saw that the majority of its people were the poor. And I looked into Hell and I saw that the majority of its people are women." (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3241; Muslim, 2737)

With regard to the reason for that, the Prophet (saaws) was asked about it and he explained the reason.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbas (r) said: The Messenger of Allaah (saaws) said: “I was shown Hell and I have never seen anything more terrifying than it. And I saw that the majority of its people are women.” They said, “Why, O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “Because of their ingratitude (kufr).” It was said, “Are they ungrateful to Allah?” He said, “They are ungrateful to their companions (husbands) and ungrateful for good treatment. If you are kind to one of them for a lifetime then she sees one (undesirable) thing in you, she will say, ‘I have never had anything good from you.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhari, 1052)

It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: "The Messenger of Allah (saaws) went out to the Musalla on the day of Eid al-Adha or Eid al-Fitr. He passed by the women and said, ‘O women! Give charity, for I have seen that you form the majority of the people of Hell.’ They asked, ‘Why is that, O Messenger of Allah?’ He replied, ‘You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religious commitment than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you.’ The women asked, ‘O Messenger of Allah, what is deficient in our intelligence and religious commitment?’ He said, ‘Is not the testimony of two women equal to the testimony of one man?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Is it not true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is the deficiency in her religious commitment.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 304)

It was narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allah said: "I attended Eid prayers with the Messenger of Allah (saaws). He started with the prayer before the khutbah, with no adhaan (call to prayer) or iqaamah (immediate call to prayer). Then he stood up, leaning on Bilaal, speaking of fear of Allah (taqwa) and urging us to obey Him. He preached to the people and reminded them. Then he went over to the women and preached to them and reminded them. Then he said, ‘Give in charity, for you are the majority of the fuel of Hell. A woman with dark cheeks stood up in the midst of the women and said, ‘Why is that, O Messenger of Allah?’ He said, ‘Because you complain too much and are ungrateful to your husbands.’ Then they started to give their jewellery in charity, throwing their earrings and rings into Bilal’s cloak.” (Narrated by Muslim, 885)

Our believing sisters who learn of this hadeeth should behave like those Sahaabiyaat (female companions) who, when they learned of this, did good deeds which would be the means, by Allah’s leave, of keeping them far away from being included in that majority of the inhabitants of Hell.

So our advice to the sisters is to strive to adhere to the rituals and obligatory duties of Islam, especially prayer, and to keep away from that which Allaah has forbidden, especially shirk in its many forms which are widespread among women, such as seeking one's needs from someone other than Allaah, going to practitioners of witchcraft and fortune-tellers, etc.

We ask Allaah to keep us and all our brothers and sisters far away from the Fire and the words and deeds that bring one close to it.

IslamQA.com
If you feel disheartened by this, don't. Read this quote:

Belittling Women with the Hadeeth: “Women are Deficient in Intellect and Deen.”

Shaykh Abdul-Azeez ibn Baaz

We often hear the noble Hadeeth "Women are deficient in their intelligence and in their Deen” and some men use this Hadeeth as a form of belittlement towards the women. We desire from you O noble shaykh, clarification of the meaning of this Hadeeth?

The meaning of the Hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam):

“I have never seen anyone with a deficiency of ‘Aql (intellect) and Deen (religion) who are more overpowering to men than one of you [women].”

So it was said:

“O Messenger of Allaah, what is the deficiency in her intelligence?”

He said:

“Isn’t the witness of two women equal to that of one man?”

So it was said:

“What is the deficiency in her Deen?”

So he said:

“Isn’t it the case that if she is menstruating she doesn’t pray or fast?”

So the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified that the deficiency of her intellect was from the angle of her weak memory and that her testimony is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. This is because of the preciseness of the witness (in Islaam) and because she could forget and make an addition or deletion to the testimony. Just as Allaah says:

{And bring forth two witnesses from your own men. If there are not two men (available) then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one of them (two women) errs then the other can remind her…} [2282]

As for deficiency in her Deen, then it is because during her state of menstruation and post-partum bleeding, she abandons the Salaat (prayer) and fasting, and she doesn’t make up the salaat. This is from the deficiency in her Deen. But this deficiency is not blameworthy upon her. Rather it is a deficiency, which happens as a result of that which Allaah had decreed for her and this was done in a manner of leniency and easiness towards her. For if she were to fast in a state of menstruation or in a state of postpartum bleeding it would harm her. So from the Mercy of Allaah (towards women) He has legislated for her to abandon the fast at the time when she is menstruating or in a state of Nifaas, and to make up the fast afterwards. As for the salaat, then without a doubt, the state of menstruation prevents her from purification. So from the mercy of Allaah, He legislated for her to abandon her prayer and likewise in the state of Nifaas.

He also legislated for her not to make it up, because in making up the (Salaat (prayer)) is difficulty, because the Salaat is tremendous, and repetitious, five times throughout the night and day, and the days of menstruation can be plentiful, sometimes seven or eight days or more than that. And the Nifaas could reach 40 days. So from the mercy of Allaah upon her and from His Ihsaan (doing good) towards her is that He removed the Salaat from her whether it be the initial Salaat or the make-up. And this does not necessitate that her intelligence is deficient in everything! Nor that her Deen is deficient in everything! But indeed the Messenger (saw) clarified that the deficiency in her intelligence is from that which happens to her from the lack of precision in her memory and testimony, and that the deficiency in her Deen is from the fact that she leaves off the prayer and fasting at the time of her menses or in the state of Nifaas. Also this doesn’t necessitate that she is less than a man in everything! or the fact that the man is better in everything! Yes, generally the male gender is better than the gender of the females generally for many reasons. Just as Allaah the High and Sublime says:

{Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend their wealth (to support them)…} [434]

But she can surpass him, sometimes, in many things. And by Allaah how many women surpass many men in their intelligence, Deen and precision! But verily that which is narrated on the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) is that the women are surpassed by men, generally, in intelligence and in the religion only. There can proceed from her many righteous actions, in which, she can surpass the men and in her Taqwah of Allaah, Azza Wa Jall, and in her station in the hereafter. There could be some affairs that she places great importance on and is precise in them more so than the precision of a man. There are many issues, which she carefully considers, and is diligent in memorizing and precise in. She would become the foundation in Islaamic history and point of reference in many affairs and this is clear to those who ponder and reflect on the state of the women during the time of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) and after that. With this it should be understood that this deficiency should not prevent her from being treated equally in her narrations and in her testimony, if it is strengthened with the testimony of another woman.

And it doesn’t necessarily mean that it (this deficiency) should prevent her from having Taqwah (righteousness and piety/fear and hope etc) of Allaah and the fact that she could be from the most virtuous slaves of Allaah if she is upright in her Deen, even if the fasting and Salaat is not obligatory upon her at the time of menstruation and Nifaas rather this is a deficiency which is specific to the intellect and Deen just as the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified. It is not appropriate that a believer should accuse her of being deficient in everything and weak in every area of her Deen, and its clarification is pertinent and important so that the speech of the Messenger is understood in it’s proper context and in the best possible manner.

And Allaah knows best.

aamirsaab
01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
whether women have a weaker memory than men :blind:
Have you all read mine and akulion's post in the first page?
If so, then there is no need for this thread to be opened; the two of us ended this topic (and all related to it) in those posts. I don't understand why we need to still be discussing this issue, pulling out more studies. Akulion's post was sufficient enough to give scientific backing to the Quranic ayat I gave.

Silver
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I can't believe, being a doctor u are saying this that's another proof why women's cognition can be "defective" more frequently than men, as prophet said. There was a sister who was also a doctor on this forum who argued with me saying that anabolic steroids that bodybuilders use, cause muscle breakdown..... I told her she was confusing glucocorticoids with anabolic steroids & instead of admitting her mistake she kept on & on with her theory....... Another proof that females can get things wrong especially during some phases of their cycles.

Yes there's a link b/w estrogen & memory, BUT only in females. In males it's testosterone not estrogen that plays same role.
In the brain, testosterone becomes active by aromatization to estradiol so if lack of estardiol can lead to memory deficiency then lack of testosterone also leads to memory deficiency.
Testosterone has circadic and cyclic cycles so testosterone levels are not stable, testosterone levels can drop during the day so that can lead to memory problems in men also.
It is not linked to genders!!!

sur
01-28-2009, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
In the brain, testosterone becomes active by aromatization to estradiol so if lack of estardiol can lead to memory deficiency
Again u r proving my point right, for similar reasoning women can mess up as witness, as u r messing up medical facts.

So if testosterone converts to estradiol "in brain", so what...!!! that's at cellular level & male memory is not affected by blood levels of estrogen, blood levels of testerone dictates brain production of estradiol, so driving force is testosterone. In females blood levels of estrogen affect it.

& as another poster posted that memory is not the only factor that can affect ability to be a witness, it's emotional aspect as well as interpreting the incidence.

then lack of testosterone also leads to memory deficiency.
Testosterone has circadic and cyclic cycles so testosterone levels are not stable, testosterone levels can drop during the day so that can lead to memory problems in men also.
It is not linked to genders!!!
this is ur hypothesis. Facts proven by research i gave above.
men don't have such a fall in testosterone to significanty affect cognition, as some women can have every month in form of PMS & as many as 85% of women can experience PMS, that's huge percentage. 30-40% have it to severe degree.

As i said before both men & women might have cognition problems, but female have significantly greater chances so Prophet asked to have double the number in case of female witnesses...........

why don't u understand it's "relative",,, not "absolute". "Absolutely" speaking both men/women can get memory/cognition/emotional problems, but women have "relatively" more chances. So we have been ordered to have "relatively" more female witnesses than males.

=============================================
Again it's not fight b/w men & women, it's human biology created by ALLAH, & Prophet gave us ruling accordingly. I am just trying to explain Hadees given earlier, & NOT trying to have men-vs-women debate.

Silver
01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
In the brain, testosterone becomes active by aromatization to estradiol so if lack of estradiol can lead to memory deficiency
Again u r proving my point right, for similar reasoning women can mess up as witness, as u r messing up medical facts.
I did not say that it's blood levels of estrogen in men that affect memory, I said that since testosterone is aromatized to estradiol the low levels of testosterone also affect the memory because it means that less estradiol can act on the brain. I know that the driving force is testosterone.

his is ur hypothesis. Facts proven by research i gave above.
men don't have such a fall in testosterone to significanty affect cognition, as some women can have every month in form of PMS & as many as 85% of women can experience PMS, that's huge percentage. 30-40% have it to severe degree.

It is not my hypothesis, low levels of testosterone slow down the memory.
Testosterone in men fluctuates in a circadian rhythm: highest in the morning, lowest at bedtime.
And men do experience a monthly cycle but it hasn'ty been studied as profoundly as women's monthly cycle.

Facts proven by research i gave above.
The research provides possible links between estrogen and memory but not facts!! There are also links between testosterone and memory but nothing has been proven yet.

As i said before both men & women might have cognition problems, but female have significantly greater chances so Prophet asked to have double the number in case of female witnesses...........
I think it has to do more with emotional characteristics of the 2 genders. For example, a female witness might not tell the complete truth if she is under pressure. She might also think that the criminal has a family and they might kill him and his family will lose him...a man won't really think about all that stuff.

The Palestinian
02-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Salam..
Sister, let me clearify some points.
There is many "Shekhs" who are making religion very strict and making people's life more difficult. The prophet said:" yasero wala tasero" means (make life and religion easier not harder).
About education for females, it's obligatory for both male and female to learn and who wouldn't say this, they're against what the prophet said: "seeking education is obligatory for every muslim and muslimah".
About women to work. If he husband works and they don't need to work it's ok if she didn't work, but it's not haram to work. Women were nurses during the prophet's battles, they were coming to him to learn and listen to him.
Now, the people who is calling for minimizing the role of women in life are blind actually, we all see many women are very talent and invented such useful things for humanity, canceling this part of community is not allowed.
Sister, islam is a religion to life, not to avoiding women.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.