/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Woman marrying Catholic

saleem2007
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
A good friend of mine is a an Arab American Muslim, he married a woman 27 years ago and had a daughter with her, he married under Islamic Law at a Mosque.

He was divorced 3 years later from this woman and because they lived in the South (Alabama) the Judge was very racist and anti-muslim so in turn he disallowed my friend from ever seeing his daughter.
I am posting this for my friend because he does not have internet and his english is not the best. He is too embarrased to go see a Sheikh, I would like to give him advice but I am not sure I know exactly what needs to be done.
Here is the situation:
He had a duaghter from this woman he divorced, when they divorced she was already a year old. Because he was not allowed to see his daughter she was raised as a Methodist. Meanwhile he moved to California to avoid any further problem with his x wife.
When his daughter turned 18 he attempted to contact her but she would not have anything to do with him, her mother and family had brain washed her to hate Arabs and Muslims, threats were made against him that if he were to go visit her in Alabama the Police would be called on him.
My friend had no choice but to stop contact in the hopes his daughter would contact him when she was ready.

Recently she contacted him, now that she is 25 years old somehow Islam has come to her, she wants to live as a Muslim, she realizes now that it is her destiny as a born muslim. She's been to the mosque in her area several times. The problem is now she is married to a Catholic man and has 2 children with him.
Her father asked her to speak to me, she speaks no Arabic and as I mentioned before he English is poor. I did not know what to tell her, at the Mosque they are telling her she needs to take Shahada, I disagree, when you are born to a Muslim Father you are automaticaly a muslim.

I believe that her marriage is not accepted in the eyes of Islam since it is a Christian Marriage. She is confused, my friend is confused and I am confused, I don't know what to tell him. He is worried about advising her to leave her husband since the mushrek catholic husband refused to believe in Allah and that Muhamed is his profit, he refused to turn into Islam.
Can anyone give some positive advise please?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mohsen1985
12-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I think we're all confused too :D

Well, why wouldn't you let her say shahada? Even if she was born a muslim, it wouldn't hurt to say it.

She can convert to Islam if she wants, and from what I know muslim men are allowed to marry women from religions "of the book" (Christians and Jews), I'm not sure what the rule is for women though, the best thing to do is talk to a sheikh.

saleem2007
12-15-2008, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohsen1985
I think we're all confused too :D

Well, why wouldn't you let her say shahada? Even if she was born a muslim, it wouldn't hurt to say it.

She can convert to Islam if she wants, and from what I know muslim men are allowed to marry women from religions "of the book" (Christians and Jews), I'm not sure what the rule is for women though, the best thing to do is talk to a sheikh.
It is not my place to let her or not let her do anything, nor is it her father's either, not sure where you live but in the United States adult women pretty much can do what they please!
She does not need to convert to Islam, she is already a Muslim.
Can someone please give me an answer on topic!

IbnAbdulHakim
12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
i think your correct there saleem but i would check up with a proper scholar if i was you.

Perhaps try to find someone from a local masjid? someone very knowledgable inshAllah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
saleem2007
12-24-2008, 02:27 AM
After days of struggle I was able to speak to a Shaikh at a Chicago Masjid and I have to tell you it was very disappointing.
He was the kind of so called "Scholar" that drives Muslims away instead of drawing them closer. All he did was curse her to hell, wanted nothing to do with the Conversation and offered no help or advice what so ever.
What a horrible example for Muslims. I would hate to hear one of his speeches after Friday prayer!

wth1257
12-24-2008, 02:33 AM
To the poster a few posts up

The Qur'an forbids Muslim women from marying a non-Muslim man.

saleem2007
12-24-2008, 02:40 AM
Exactly wth.. that is the problem. Her marriage is no good and she is living in sin with this man. I have talked to her on the phone a few times and she sounds like she is really wanting to go the Muslim way but she is fearing the retaliation of the Catholic and his family. What makes it even worse is that she already has 2 kids with this man.

wth1257
12-24-2008, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by saleem2007
Exactly wth.. that is the problem. Her marriage is no good and she is living in sin with this man. I have talked to her on the phone a few times and she sounds like she is really wanting to go the Muslim way but she is fearing the retaliation of the Catholic and his family. What makes it even worse is that she already has 2 kids with this man.
But she was doing so in ignorance. Perhapse she is nominally Muslim due to her father (I have no idea) but I don't see how, in any but the most literal and legal sense, she could really be considered a Muslim. If she was kept apart from her father from the age of one, indoctrinated to hate Muslims, etc I don't see how she could be held accountable for any of this.

Have you tried talking to another imam?

wth1257
12-24-2008, 02:46 AM
How did she get interested in Islam?

maryam87
12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
i hate to hear these stories i believe its the fathers fault. i dont understand why muslim men marry non-muslim girls plz anyone help me understand!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.