/* */

PDA

View Full Version : surnames for women.

AnonymousPoster
12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I dont know how my name ended up as it did but I would like some advice because I have read that a married womans surname should be the same as her father.
My name used to be the same as my late father(may Allah grant him a place in heaven) for example -*Naila Khan.
When I got married in Pakistan my middle name was used on the nikkah nama (marriage certificate) And from then on it was eg-*Naila Kausar. And when I came back to this country I was *Naila Kausar. I dont know why I never questioned it at the time but I'm really confused. My name is not connected to my father or my husband and it feels weird. Before I got married I was always known as *Naila Khan at school and stuff. I cannot ask my family as I do not see them.
From an islamic perspective what should I do? Should I leave it or change it?

*names have been changed for privacy.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
12-20-2008, 11:12 AM
assalamu alaykum

It is preferable to keep father's name inshaAllah. Fatima (ra), daughter of our prophet (PBUH) was still known as Fatima Bint Mohammad, even after she married.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.