/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Please DO try this at home!

Snowflake
12-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Me and my son (and his friend) had so much fun today I had to share! We didn't go to a theme park or party or a nice restaurant or have friends over. In fact, our place of fun was in my own back garden roasting potatoes! It was such an amazinggg experience we were still buzzing hours later. That gave me the idea to post it so everyone can have as much fun as we did ;)

So here's my tips for a fun day without breaking the bank:

1) Wash and wrap unpeeled medium sized potatoes in foil twice over
2) Build fire from paper from recycle bin or bits of wood
3) Throw potatoes randomly into fire
4) Keep adding fuel if using paper as it burns out quickly
5) I wasn't timing potatoes so was checking now and then to see if they are done. Just press with spoon and if they give easily, it means they are done
6) Blow of excess ash before unwrapping - DELICIOUS!

As I had lit the fire in metal (mesh) bin. I decided to cook some chicken on it by laying the grill rack on top of it. The chicken turned out to be the best I'd ever tasted! We were giddy with the taste and smells and Vimto ofcourse!

It was amazing to cook and eat outside. And way better than doing it on a barbeque grill. We can't wait to do it all again next week. Hope you can too! :D

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
gladTidings
12-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Ws sis... That sounds kool

Theres nothing quite like bbq'ing on your own fire in the back garden. The simplicity and being so close to nature is pretty amazing. My parents are always doing randomers like that but I have to say it does taste pretty good. Will try the potatoes inshAllah. Thanx for sharing sis

Ws xxx

Nájlá
12-20-2008, 10:40 PM
yummy your making me hungry now lol

would it work here thouugh in this bad weather imsad looks like it wont work on a rainy, windy day

yasin ibn Ahmad
12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
ıdont know if you have ever used a coal stove to warm the house.We did as most people did in Turkey when I was a child.There is a division at the bottom of the stove where the burnt coal drops.And we would put potatoes there.It was a nice night activity with the whole family.So our winters were not that cold!
Thank you reminding me of that nice times

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Sounds Nice :ooh:

:wasalamex

Yanal
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Is that a way for making French Fries? Or did you watch the zack and Cody episode where they make that samething I think.

aamirsaab
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
:sl:
If you do not have the luxury that is potatoes, then may I suggest choke slamming your brother into a box (in order to flatten it)?

I did it today this morning. Such a happy occasion, filled with joy.

Snowflake
12-21-2008, 02:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yasin ibn Ahmad
ıdont know if you have ever used a coal stove to warm the house.We did as most people did in Turkey when I was a child.There is a division at the bottom of the stove where the burnt coal drops.And we would put potatoes there.It was a nice night activity with the whole family.So our winters were not that cold!
Thank you reminding me of that nice times
That sounds like so much fun bro. The turkish stove sounds so kool. I wonder if I can get one? In pakistan they used to put coal in a big metal bowl to warm the house. But they did have clay stoves in the yard where we'd cook in the evenings when it was cooler. I remember the bright orange embers flying in the evening air. It was mesmerising.

format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
Ws sis... That sounds kool
The simplicity and being so close to nature is pretty amazing.
Ws xxx
That was exactly how I felt sis. It was wholesome, natural, something so raw about it. The food, although we ate a little seemed to satisfy us for longer. I was almost teleported to the stone age lol.

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Is that a way for making French Fries? Or did you watch the zack and Cody episode where they make that samething I think.
lol, at first glance I thought you was talking about our zAk. I was like who's Cody? :rollseyes

highway_trekker
12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
sounds nice

Periwinkle18
12-21-2008, 02:42 PM
yummy but i can't try it my mum would kill me.

Snowflake
12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
^ if you have a pc you're most likely to have a gas stove rather than a chullah? am I right sis? :p

Do you have a tandoor? If yeh, you can throw some spuds in their when you make rotis :)

mazhar_majhu
12-21-2008, 08:28 PM
asak
hmmmm that was cool i tried them, i liked them but my lil bro did find it tasty........he is happy with his cookies.any ways thaks it was sum thing different and yum

Snowflake
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
^lol wow, I can't believe someone actually did it! Glad you and your bro liked them. I wouldve liked to read the whole process though. :D

MO783
12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
:sl:

I sue to love doing fires and then putting patatoes in them

crayon
12-26-2008, 10:05 AM
We're BBQing in 2 hours or so, I'm definitely trying this inshallah. :D
I'm going to do what you did, but add a little twist of my own.. If I take any pictures I'll post them up.

Snowflake
12-26-2008, 11:19 AM
:inshallah

Good on you sis! I can't wait to see the little 'twist' you're going to add. But if you're going to put them on a bbq grill, it is better to par boil them or they might not cook properly.

I usually make spicy roast potatoes in the oven with the following ingredients. Why not try my little twist sometime? :D

Ingredients

Par boiled potatoes (peel before boiling)
Tandoori masala
Chilli powder
Salt
Lemon Juice
Olive oil

Method

Keep potatoes in pan they are boiled in after draining water. Add everything to pan. Place lid on pan and give a good shake. The outside of the potatoes should have loosened and fluffed up. This will make them cripsy on the outside when roasted. It's ok if potatoes aren't evenly coated though.

Taste to see if you want to increase any of the flavours.

Wrap twice over in cooking foil before throwing in fire. (or in your case barbeque.)

Cabdullahi
12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
mashallah inshallah im gonna try this but with something meaty

Danah
12-26-2008, 11:51 AM
oh you did this? :ooh:
we always do this grilling, especially in cold night......I like the taste of potato, you can taste the smell of coal on it...yummy:statisfie

crayon
12-26-2008, 01:17 PM
First I washed them and chopped them up into smaller pieces, hoping they would cook faster. Then I added crushed garlic, chopped parsley, dried thyme, salt, and olive oil. I didn't put them straight into the coals (for some reason my mom told me not to), so I just put them on top of the grill. They cooked for about an hour, I would say. They turned out pretty good, as a side dish, with meat and salad. Some parts got a little burned though, but all in all, alhamdullilah the experiment was a success!:D
Jazaki Allah Khair for the idea!:thumbs_up

Before the fire

On the grill (yes, i know i have a primitive grill, i love it anyway :p)

After

Close up, mmmm

crayon
12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
They're really easy to make, try it sometime! You can even do them in the oven- you lose the bbq taste, but it's less of a hassle. :thumbs_up

Güven
12-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Whats with all the potato threads these days :skeleton:

crayon
12-26-2008, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Whats with all the potato threads these days :skeleton:
Guven, are you jealous that potatoes are getting more attention than you are?...
lol..:X:D

Güven
12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Guven, are you jealous that potatoes are getting more attention than you are?...
lol..:X:D
yes :blind:

lol naah i have nothing against potatoes but why only potatoes ,why not something else? like ....uhm....ok potatoes are fine :thumbs_up

Snowflake
12-27-2008, 12:07 AM
:ooh: Crayon sisssssss they look so amazing mashaAllahhh and tnx for the pics!! :D :thumbs_up

I'm a spice girl but yours look so good I'm gonna have to try them sometime inshaAllah. You can try fish next time sis :p

Saya: I like the taste of potato, you can taste the smell of coal on it...yummy
mmm me too! I gotto say, the tastiest potatoes i've ever had were chucked straight into a bonfire so the outside was burnt. It made the potato inside even more delish. :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.