/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Asad

wth1257
12-23-2008, 12:21 AM
I just received his translation and commentary of the Qur'an, "The Message of the Qur'an".

Does anyone have any oppinions of him or his translation?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansariyah
12-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't kno who he is..InshaAllah someone who knows will answer u soon..

just bumping up this thread so people see it!

C'mon brothas/sistas..toot toot.

Imam
12-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Greetings

Muhammad Asad

May God bless his grave, is one of my favorite writers and his translation is more than excellent.....I had academic studies of Arabic and compared his translation with all other common translations and found out that he excelled them in huge number of verses

If you want to read about such genius Jewish convert to Islam who was a descendant of a long line of rabbis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Asad

fortunately his translation is finally online

http://www.geocities.com/masad02/

Sadly for me that I haven't met such great scholar before his death :cry:

May God reward him always

some comments on his work in Amazon.com

I have read the translations by Yusuf Ali, Arberry, and Dawood. Muhammad Asad's translation and interpretations stands above all. It is the Quran translation I reccomend to non-Muslims to get a true (in my view) understanding of Islam.

I find Asad's interpretation to be the most bona-fide and coherent, it is scrupulously referenced so he does not give his opinion rather quotes some of the greatest scholars after the manifestation of the Quran such as Zamakshari, Ibn Kathir as well as Qurtubi to name a few.

Asad's translation is the the best, undoutedly this version supercedes all others. I have read this particular version and as I know there are various in circulation (esp with Yusuf Ali) I suggest you get this version.

If you are interested in the Quran, or anyone for that matter even one who understands proper Arabic I still suggest you get this book. It is a key in understanding the Quran. Regardless of whether you know or are oblivious to the Arabic tongue. THe Quran is a legacy of humanity. Regardless of whether you are a Muslim or not it has impacted on Human thought and has changed social norms as we once knew it.
It is a piece of history and very much an inlay in the fabric of humanity. The final text of the semetic religions which is said to be the synergy of all that preceeded it.

from a western point of view. I was astounded upon reading this translation. I continue to revisit. Rather than doing a literal translation as many author translators do (Pickthall, Ali, etc.), Asad seeks the true 'spirit' of the Quran. This is not to say he strays from the letter (at least not that I am aware of) but to say that he wants the deeper and truer meaning of the words to come through.

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.