/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer

Yanal
12-23-2008, 03:07 AM
:sl:
I am thinking on becoming a lawyer need to know how much deegrees etc. Please help me Jazakallah Kaye.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-23-2008, 03:40 AM
There are many types of lawyers

Criminal
Civil
Corporate
Financial
Defense
Prosecutor
Copy right
Real Estate
Probate
etc.

First you need to find out all you can about what a lawyer is and than decide what field you want.

Most Attorneys require a Doctorate degree in Jurisprudence. some require a Degree plus a political appointment.

It is a costly field to enter. You can expect to pay at least your first 15 years of income after Graduation, for your student loans.

You may be able to get scholarships for your undergrad degree (Bachelors) but there usually is no financial assistance for the Graduate and Post-Graduate degrees, but you may be able to get a Teaching Fellowship for your Masters level.

You can expect 6 to 15 years more schooling after high school and a total out of pocket cost of $50,000 to over $1,000,000 depending on what field and schools you choose.

But, do not fear or worry about the cost. Honest, if it is the correct field for you Allaah(swt) will provide the means for you.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 03:43 AM
May Allah bless you grandpa. Anyway can you explain each term in a brief definition.

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
May Allah bless you grandpa. Anyway can you explain each term in a brief definition.
There is no prescribed course of college study for lawyers. Lawyers come from varied academic backgrounds.
Many law school students have degrees in English, history, the social sciences or business, but engineering and science
students also successfully pursue careers in the law.
:D You are trying to give me writer's cramp. to be honest, if you do not know the terms yet, you still do not know enough about the legal field to even know if you want to be a lawyer.

Instead of explaining here are some links. the Field of Jurisprudence can be a very boring field for those who are not intended for it. Lots of very boring memorization, etc.

http://education-portal.com/educatio..._a_lawyer.html

http://www.nhbar.org/pdfs/6-02ReqLyr.pdf

http://ezinearticles.com/?Requiremen...yer&id=1414651

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
12-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Ok I'm still 13. But what is the field of jurispurden?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Ok I'm still 13. But what is the field of jurispurden?
Jurisprudence is the field of law. It is what a lawyer studies.

For the "jurisprudence" of courts, see Case law.

The Final Honour School of Jurisprudence is also the formal name of the undergraduate Bachelor of Arts degree in Law awarded by the University of Oxford

Philosophers of law ask "what is law?" and "what should it be?"

Jurisprudence is the theory and philosophy of law. Scholars of jurisprudence, or legal philosophers, hope to obtain a deeper understanding of the nature of law, of legal reasoning, legal systems and of legal institutions. As jurisprudence has developed, there are three main aspects with which scholarly writing engages:

* Natural law is the idea that there are unchangeable laws of nature which govern us, and that our laws and institutions should try to align with this natural law.
* Analytic jurisprudence asks questions distinctive to legal philosophy like, "What is law?" "What are the criteria for legal validity?" or "What is the relationship between law and morality?" and other such questions that legal philosophers may engage.
* Normative jurisprudence asks what law ought to be. It is close to political philosophy, and includes questions of whether one ought to obey the law, on what grounds law-breakers might properly be punished, the proper uses and limits of regulation, how judges ought to decide cases.

Modern jurisprudence and philosophy of law is dominated today primarily by Western academics. The ideas of the Western legal tradition have become so pervasive throughout the world that it is tempting to see them as universal. Historically, however, many philosophers from other traditions have discussed the same questions, from Islamic scholars to the ancient Greeks.
For more see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisprudence

It is the English word for the Arabic Fiqh

http://www.--------------/jurisprudence/

Yanal
12-23-2008, 04:27 AM
Do they give a book to study for the LSAT?
May Allah reward you again.

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 04:39 AM
Do they give a book to study for the LSAT?
May Allah reward you again.
You have a long way to go before you have to worry about the LSAT. By the time you are ready to take it, you should be qualified to write it. That will come after you finish your undergrad degree (Bachelors) and prepare for Law School. In your undergrad years a good combination is to major in Biology and enroll in premed with a minor in Pre-law then look for a law school after graduation. Harvard being the best in the USA and Oxford being the best in the UK. I do not know of any prominent law schools in Canada.

As a Muslim you may seek for a degree in Islamic Jurisprudence, I Believe the best school is in Egypt.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:15 AM
I may not want to go to Egypt. But I'll consider being a finickal or civil. How can I find best law school in Canada. Can u fond it?

ayesha309
12-23-2008, 05:29 AM
University of Toronto's Law School is most probably the best in Canada. also the hardest to get accepted into

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Really... Could you give me the link of their website.

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 05:35 AM
I believe in Canada it will depend on the area you desire to live in. I think Canada has different legal codes for the Western provinces and the Eastern provinces and in the Eastern provinces even differences between Quebec and Nova Scotia. sort of like here in the US where we have the Legal codes for the Native Americans which are different than the codes for the States and in the states Louisiana is different from the rest of the USA as Louisiana law is based on Napoleonic code and the rest of the States are based on British code.

But, here is a link that may help you.

http://www.lsac.org/canadiancfc/canadian_homepage.asp

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:38 AM
JazakAllah and I live in Vancouver.

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Really... Could you give me the link of their website.

Here is a link for the University of Toronto Law school. As Sister Ayesha said it is difficult to get into they only accept 180 applicants per year. However, the price seems very low for a quality school. $20,000 per year, very reasonable and very low cost for what they offer.

Here is the link:

http://www.lsac.org/canadiancfc/temp...ls/Toronto.htm

Yanal
12-23-2008, 06:09 AM
That's more than my dad earns but can I get a scholarship through college for there?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 06:23 AM
That's more than my dad earns but can I get a scholarship through college for there?
Yes they do have scholarships available, but it looks like you will need to be an A student through out your college years and score at the 95th percentile on the LSAT to be eligible for one.

But, one step at a time, you still have high school and college ahead of you before you think about Law School. You may have totally different plans by the time you graduate from college.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Yes true maybe bro muezzin can shAre his ideas also. I'm confused in college do I only take the bachelors degree course or can I choose more or can I do only one?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 06:35 AM
You will find that most law schools favor an applicant that goes to work and is employed after graduation from college rather then a person who applies for law school immediately after getting a college degree.

A law student is generally expected to have the earning ability to pay his own tuition, instead of depending on family or scholarships. Having a good job, is a good starting place to get into law school.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 06:40 AM
But what type of job like in fast food restaraunts etc....

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes true maybe bro muezzin can shAre his ideas also. I'm confused in college do I only take the bachelors degree course or can I choose more or can I do only one?
Your bachelors degree is the starting place. In other words you need a college degree before applying for law school. You will want to major in a subject that will agree with the area of law you want to go into. so for example if you are interested in Bodily injury law, you may want to major as a pre-med student for your Bachelor's degree. If you wish to go into corporate law you should first get a degree in business management and probably a Masters degree in accounting or even an MBA. (Master of Business Administration) before applying for law school.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 07:01 AM
But will English count?

Yanal
12-23-2008, 07:02 AM
And what is corporate law isn't it the same as finincial law?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 07:12 AM
But will English count?
The basic core courses for your Bachelors in Canada and the USA are Advanced English courses such as Critical analysis, creative writing etc, advanced math such as calculus and statistics, Biology, chemistry, Physics and a foreign language usually German or Greek. Than you will have to take the required courses to complete your major and minor if a minor is required. Four years with at least 12 different courses each year.

Most people with an eye on a law career try to get a job at a legal firm after graduating from college, usually as a research assistant or as a legal aide. From there they try to get backing from the legal firm to help them through law school with a promise of entering the law firm as a full partner.

What you do now in a year as a junior high student will be your typical daily homework when you enter college and what you do in college will be simply training to survive law school.

Muezzin
12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Check out this thread.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
JazakallAh kayr but what law r you in Muezzin?

ayesha309
12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Sorry i din't reply back earlier.
The Univerisity of Toronto Law School is very hard to get into. Majority of the applicants are rejected on their first attempt, some get in second attempt, others even on their third attempt. That's why its wise to start applying from third year atleast, some even say second year of univeristy.
Scholarships are even harder to get, but the univeristy does hav a policy which is somewhere along the lines that money shall not prevent you from obtaining the degree that you desire. hence, instead of scholarships they offer a lot of bursaries, UTAPs, loans, etc. so you can finsih your studies.
i hope some of your questions are answered

Yanal
12-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Jazakallah but what type of lawyer is muezzin?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Jazakallah but what type of lawyer is muezzin?
I am probably wrong but I believe he has completed College and Law School and presently is working internships until he develops his specialty. I do not think he has selected a specialty just yet.

Yep, after all of that schooling, it still isn't over, there can be years of internships.

Like Bro Muezzin also said this is not to discourage a young person from planning a law career, but rather help him to be informed as to the amount of work required. In my younger years I also thought of a law career, but knew I could not hold up to the studies so instead became a pilot and eventually a Psychologist.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
What is the difference between , barrister & solicator? Might be one of them :D

ayesha309
12-23-2008, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am probably wrong but I believe he has completed College and Law School and presently is working internships until he develops his specialty. I do not think he has selected a specialty just yet.

Yep, after all of that schooling, it still isn't over, there can be years of internships.

Like Bro Muezzin also said this is not to discourage a young person from planning a law career, but rather help him to be informed as to the amount of work required. In my younger years I also thought of a law career, but knew I could not hold up to the studies so instead became a pilot and eventually a Psychologist.
True, that's what distracted me from considering law; although i did consider it when i was in high school..........too many years of studying and it just doesn't end!
that being said, for those who can do it, :thumbs_up

UmmSqueakster
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

If you're only 13 years old, there's a lot you can do without worrying about all the testing and schooling that you'll need later on. I'm not sure what the work rules are in Canada, but start looking into getting a summer job at a law office when you're able. You won't be doing any glamorous work, but you'll get an idea of what lawyers do and how a law office works.

I'm a paralegal (kind of a mini lawyer/lawyer's assistant who doesn't actually practice law), because I thought about going to law school. Before I spend $100,000 on school, I thought I'd better see what being a lawyer is all about and if I'd even want to do it. Well, 4 years later, I'm still not in law school and still not sure if I want to be a lawyer :rollseyes

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 05:31 PM
What is the difference between , barrister & solicator? Might be one of them :D
I believe those are British terms and actually have no equivalence in the USA or Canada, there are some differences in the legal codes of different countries.

I may be wrong but I think a Barrister is any lawyer who has passed the Bar exam and is qualified to practice before the Bar(court) while a Solicator is more for giving legal consultations and need not be in court, but may work in a corporation, hospital, etc being certain the facility remains in compliance with the laws.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh. And won't I need knowledge to become a lawyers job & what age could I join?

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
How much would be my pay?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
How much would be my pay?
If pay is your concern you may want to consider another line of work. Very few professions pay enough to be worth the effort it takes to obtain the degree.

Pay has to be your last reason, to take a routine job in a law firm. Your goal is to learn what a lawyer does, not have that as your final job. The usual routine, unskilled office jobs pay minimum wage. But, the pay should not be your reason to take the job, your reason should be to gain knowledge of what a lawyer does.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I know but I still want to know, but I searched it up and the lowest or newest lawyer gets paid at least 40 000$.

UmmSqueakster
12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh. And won't I need knowledge to become a lawyers job & what age could I join?
I'm not telling you to get a job as a lawyer. Take a job as a clerk, someone who shuffles paperwork, in a law firm, so you can observe what a lawyer does.

Our firm hires high school students to do clerk work during the summer through a special program to get more minority youth interested in law.

Also, as for lawyer pay, you're still many years off from being a lawyer. The pay will change. You have to do very well in school to get a job as a lawyer. Beginning lawyers at my firm get paid $120,000 their first year, but only a few get that opportunity. I know many people who have been to law school, and couldn't find work as lawyers, so they're doing the kind of work I'm doing.

Yanal
12-23-2008, 06:43 PM
What work are you doing?

Woodrow
12-23-2008, 08:34 PM
What work are you doing?
Look back a few posts at the Sister's post:

http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...ml#post1067815

Yanal
12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Br woodrow I m thinking for becoming a pilot, does that pay more?

UmmSqueakster
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to decide on a career based on money. Pick a career that you enjoy. If you make a ton of money, but you're unhappy every day you go to work, it's not worth it. I make very little money right now, but my job is not stressful and when I come home, I can enjoy my life.

Aqeel Ahmed
12-26-2008, 06:07 PM
:sl:
Yanal I'm telling you the samething, you like policemen don't you, try to make another thread about it.:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.