/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pilot

Yanal
12-24-2008, 12:51 AM
:sl:
I might become a pilot I need to know what deegrees I need and is the pay better than lawyer. Also if possible the advantages and disadvantages, compare, contrast Pilot and lawyer . Jazakallah Kayr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
12-24-2008, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
I might become a pilot I need to know what deegrees I need and is the pay better than lawyer. Also if possible the advantages and disadvantages, compare, contrast Pilot and lawyer . Jazakallah Kayr.
Try studying for both, that way, if you crash your plane and survive you will be able to weasle out of being blamed!
:w:

Yanal
12-24-2008, 12:55 AM
May that never happen but funny sentence.

Fishman
12-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Agh, he's gone away!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Who?

Fishman
12-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Who?
I was bored, so I looked at Woodrow's user profile, and I saw that he was replying here. So I thought it would be funny if I quickly snuck in a reply saying 'waiting for Woody to post' before he finished. Unfortunately he didn't even finish his article and logged off, so I edited the post.
:w:

Yanal
12-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Same, he probably gonna come on later.

Woodrow
12-24-2008, 01:50 AM
There are many ways to become a pilot. I became one by joining the Air Force and qualifying to be a combat pilot. The old F-86. Giving my age away.

Back then the USAF had the Aviation Cadet Program, somehow I managed to qualify for it.

The pay was good, although I only flew for a little over 2 years. I did get some nice side benefits, a life time pension, Post Traumatic Distress Disorder, Crippled arm and leg, Chronic pain disorder etc.

In the past about the only people who became commercial pilots were retired military pilots with over 20 years flying time. However as the commercial airlines grew and the need for Air Force pilots dropped most commercial pilots today are graduates from Aviation Schools. Typically the candidate for Aviation school will have a bachelors degree in aeronautical Engineering and a single engine pilot rating.

Aviation School is very expensive, outside of the 2 years or so of ground school you will need to amass over 1000 hours of flight time in multi-engine jet aircraft. Much of that will be as a student with an instructor pilot. Typically you will pay the instructor over $100 per hour and pay the plane rental of several hundred dollars per hour. The cost of fuel is tremendous. You have to pay for that also. It takes over $2000 in fuel just to get a 4 engine passenger jet up to take off speed. The good part is once air borne and at cruising altitude you only burn up a couple hundred gallons of JP-4 per hour. It costs a bundle to become a pilot. However, most pilots that show promise get hired while doing their undergrad work in Aeronautical engineering and an Airline company pays for the flight training. You usually have to sign a 20 year contract with them.

The pay is probably one of the highest paid salaried jobs in the world. average pay for a 747-400 pilot with 10 to 19 years experience is about $100,000 per year and some Senior Pilots make over $1,000,000 per year (1 or 2 in the entire world). However, the stress and the physical demands take their toll. I believe the typical pilot is completely washed out after 2 or 3 years. You do have to stay in peak physical and mental condition to pass the annual physicals. It is an unforgiving job, one error and innocent people including yourself will die or be severely injured.

There are closely related fields that cost less to get into and while the pay is less, it is still good and you can expect to have a work life of 25 to 35 years. Those are things like:

Helicopter Pilots
Crop Dusters
Private License instructors

Yanal
12-24-2008, 02:28 AM
But I hear that in Canada to be a pilot you have to pay $70 000 total for the needed degree and school. And what mistakes do pilots usually make to crash planes etc. Can't a pilot put the plane on auto-pilot the whole way? And what are crop dusters?

Woodrow
12-24-2008, 02:50 AM
But I hear that in Canada to be a pilot you have to pay $70 000 total for the needed degree and school. And what mistakes do pilots usually make to crash planes etc. Can't a pilot put the plane on auto-pilot the whole way? And what are crop dusters?
$70,000 for a commercial pilots License would be quite a bargain. You might want to check and see what type planes are covered and who has hired graduates from the schools.

Most plane crashes are the result of pilot error. I feel the most common being over-compensation from wind shear effects.

The most difficult and most dangerous time is during take off. At that time you have a full load of fuel, You need to reach take off speed before hitting the point of no return on the runway, this calls for constant adjustment of your throttle, engine temperature and outside variables such as wind speed and direction. It is 30 seconds of intense concentration with no leeway for error.

Auto pilot is wonderful, once you are at cruising speed and altitude. But, the blasted auto-pilot is not very good at handling emergencies such as loss of hydraulic power, drop in engine pressure or sudden changes in course. It also is not very good at take offs and landings. Lots of flying is still dependent on human judgment calls and fast reflexes.

This is not a good thing to happen:

Yanal
12-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Lol.Can you fund a flight school under100 000$ for everything in Vancouver or anywhere near. I want to fly international too. Not only local.

wth1257
12-24-2008, 03:08 AM

The pay can be very good if you work for a big company or airliner. It can also be hard to find and unstable. A friend of mine had a friend, i think 20 years in the USMC, Harrier pilot who served in several wars (both Gulf Wars), Colonal etc. This guy was top notch, and even he had trouble finding a job. It's full of ex military guys. So if you want to be a pilot, the sort that would make money, you would likely need to join the military and do really, really well. Problem is, after flying a jet at Mach 2 and landing on an aircraft carrier at night flying a jiant air bus can be really, really boring. Not to mention the initial 20 years of poor pay while you serve as an officer.

this are relative to the American situation.

Woodrow
12-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Lol.Can you fund a flight school under100 000$ for everything in Vancouver or anywhere near. I want to fly international too. Not only local.
One of the best schools in Canada is in BC not far from you. It is a very intensive school and covers a huge number of subjects in it's 64 week curriculum. I suspect it is more for small business size planes like Lear Jets. The hours of flight training are way to few for the requirements of transcontinental airlines.

Here is a link to the school review the courses you will need to complete in 64 weeks. Quite intensive and a lot of work. I think it needs to be looked into as to where graduates have been able to find work and what airlines accept the school for their minimum hiring standards.

The Link: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/1055dipts

wth1257
12-24-2008, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Crop Dusters

lol

I'd love to see a Muslim guy apply to be a crop duster in America:D

It reminds me of the Brian Regan line.

"I feel bad for Americans of Arab decent who just really, honestly want to be crop dusters":P

Woodrow
12-24-2008, 03:36 AM
The basic requirement for Multi Engine FAA certification is:

For an airplane multi engine rating:

If you are applying for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and multi engine class rating, you must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot (of which 50 hours, or in accordance with FAA Part 142, a maximum of 100 hours may have been accomplished in an approved flight simulator or approved flight training device that represents a multi engine airplane) that consists of at least:

1. 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.
2. 100 hours of pilot in command flight time, which includes at least 50 hours in airplanes, and 50 hours in cross-country flight in airplanes.
3. 20 hours of training on the areas of operation as listed for this rating, that includes at least 10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must be in a multi engine airplane, 10 hours of training in a multi engine airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propellers, or is turbine-powered, one cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multi engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure, one cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multi engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure.
4. 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of a pilot in command in a multi engine airplane with an authorized instructor on the areas of operation as listed for this rating, which includes at least one cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance and as specified, and 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

But the important thing---- having a certification is no guarantee of a job. There is very stiff competition for jobs, you will be competing against older people and some will be retired military pilots with over 20 years flying experience.

As tough as the FAA regulations are, most military pilots fly more than that every month. It is very difficult for a recent school trained pilot to get the experience to compete with a former military pilot.

You can more expect to get the short local flights, if you get hired. It can take over ten years experience to get enough flight hours in to impress any international carrier.

Yanal
12-24-2008, 03:40 AM
I want to join Air Canada, anyway how and jazakallah.

Woodrow
12-24-2008, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
lol

I'd love to see a Muslim guy apply to be a crop duster in America:D

It reminds me of the Brian Regan line.

"I feel bad for Americans of Arab decent who just really, honestly want to be crop dusters":P
There actually are some. Although now I only fly for pleasure. I am thinking seriously of going into crop dusting. I do know several people willing to hire me.

Woodrow
12-24-2008, 03:46 AM
I want to join Air Canada, anyway how and jazakallah.
Everything you need to know about employment opportunities and qualifications at Air Canada

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/career/

Their minimum requirements to be hired as a pilot:

Job Requirements

* 1000 hours of fixed wing flying time
* Completion of schooling to the university entrance level
* Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate
* Canadian Airline Transport Pilot licence, current Instrument Rating and Multi-Engine endorsement
* Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status

Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

* University degree or college diploma
* Aviation College diploma
* Military or commercial flight experience
* Jet and/or glass cockpit experience
* Additional language(s)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.