/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Marriage between cousins is fine, say scientists

Güven
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Marriage between cousins is fine, say scientists

Babies born as a result of marriages between first cousins are at no greater risk than those born to women over 40, a study claims.

By Ben Leach
Last Updated: 12:17PM GMT 24 Dec 2008

Scientists at the University of Massachusetts in Boston have called for the taboo on first-cousin families to be lifted.

They claim that the risk of giving birth to babies with genetic defects is no greater than that run by women over 40 who become pregnant.

First-cousin marriages are legal in the UK but there have been calls to ban the practice because of the number of genetic defects recorded in some communities.

Professor Diane Paul of the University of Massachusetts in Boston and Professor Hamish Spencer of the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand have looked at the risk of defects in such babies.

They claim that the risk of congenital defects is about 2 per cent higher that average, and the infant mortality rate about 4.4 per cent higher, for babies born to first-cousin marriages.

This is on a par with the risk to babies born to women over 40, they claim.

Professor Spencer said: "Women over the age of 40 have a similar risk of having children with birth defects and no one is suggesting they should be prevented from reproducing."

The study is published in the online journal Public Library of Science.

MP Phil Woolas, now the Immigration minister, claimed earlier this year that first-cousin marriages within Asian communities in Britain resulted in an increasing number of children with health problems.

Most states in America have either outlawed or restricted the practice, as has China, Taiwan and both North and South Korea.

Professor Spencer, an evolutionary zoologist, said these laws should be repealed, especially in America, where he said they were drafted in a way that discriminated against the rural poor and immigrants.

He said: "Neither the scientific nor social assumptions behind such legislation stand up to close scrutiny.

"Such legislation reflects outmoded prejudices about immigrants and the rural poor and relies on over-simplified views of heredity.

"There is no scientific grounding for it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/39...cientists.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Marriage between cousins is fine,
Islam has said the same thing for ages :)

UnknownOne
12-24-2008, 06:44 PM
They always come up with these new things "billions" of years later...

Why dont they just read the Qur'an, hadeeths etc. instead of shaming themselves by finding out it was already in Islam. Haha

Aqeel Ahmed
12-26-2008, 01:10 AM
:sl:
I never knew that it wasn't allowed in Islam plus was it illegal? But it's good that I know now but I'm wondering who would do that?:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
12-26-2008, 01:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aqeel Ahmed
I never knew that it wasn't allowed in Islam plus was it illegal? But it's good that I know now but I'm wondering who would do that?:sl:
it is allowed brother

marriage between cousins is halal

Aqeel Ahmed
12-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Yes I knew that it was until my other grandchild said it was haaram a few weeks ago and since then I wanted to find out of which I did now.:sl:

IbnAbdulHakim
12-26-2008, 02:27 AM
lol mashAllah

Ummu Sufyaan
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amatul Wadud
Islam has said the same thing for ages :)
ditto...but you know what the saddest thing is gna be..id bet ya (not that i bet :p) that some muslims r gna turn around and say its ok based on scientific reports such as these (as opposed to what islam says) :(

Al-Zaara
12-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Scientists say this and that! There are loads of scientists and you get defenders from almost every point of view. This is nothing revolutional really.

It's still risky though, I believe one point is that the risk precentage depends how great or small the genetic diversity is. I know in India it is quite common still today and how I see it, it isn't really a great problem (precentage-wise) but if it became more common here for the Finnish people, I believe the risk factor would be greater... But by no means has it stopped people. Risks exist everywhere.

By the way, it is legal in Finland to marry your cousins, and other religions and cultures allow it aswell, some even demanded it back then. Doesn't need Islam for it to become legal or "OK".

Zamtsa
12-26-2008, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Marriage between cousins is fine, say scientists First-cousin marriages are legal in the UK but there have been calls to ban the practice because of the number of genetic defects recorded in some communities.
Yes this true, mariage is to find someone good in religion, it is a marriage that will last for long and full of blessings, instead of marriage because of the intention so the business will not go out of some family.

Rasulullah said "Woman are married because of 4... choose wife because of her religion."

Rasulullah said that mubasyarah or marriage with cousin, are DEATH.

So let's not "Talbisul HAQQA bil bathil."

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.