/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Quraan Above head.

_PakistaN_
12-27-2008, 05:02 AM
On December 20th. It was my sisters wedding. We had a celebration, ate, etc. After all that some people told me to put the Quraan on top of my sisters head while she walks out of the banquet hall. Even though I did not want to do it. Basically, I had no choice but to.

I know this is not right. And to the people that do this, I know alot of families in Pakistan do this. It pisses me off. They make up all this ****** and spread it and make it a cultural thing. Do they think the Quran blesses them or somthing? I mean if you look at it from my point of view. Most of people in Pakistan don't even pray. And i bet they won't even make Dua for their relative who is getting married. This just keeps pissing me off.

I was so close to refuse and create a really bad scene infront of hundreds of people. But I don't know why i didn't. If I could go back in time, I would ask the person who told me to do this, which is my aunt. I will ask her give me one reason why this is being done. Then she will shutup and i would guarantee no one in the audience will be able to give me a reason, except for : other people do it, so we are doing it.

This is not the only thing being done, there are lots of other acts being done like this one. And next marriage I attend. I am going to speak up.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Taalibah~
12-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Its a baseless act as far as i know, and disrespectful.

BlackMamba
12-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I actually heard a story where there was a couple that loved the Quran so much and really wanted to become Hafiz. And when they were going to sleep they respected the Quran so much that they didn't want to leave it lying somewhere. So they actually went to sleep with the Quran on top of their heads. When they woke up at Fajr time, they were both Huffaz.
Haha I heard its a true story.

nebula
12-28-2008, 06:43 AM
bro your right it is wrong all this cultural crap, my brother has had his nikah done like a year ago and basically my family wants to have a "ruksati" or something its like a party in pakistan and well my brother totally disagrees but he has no choice but to go through with it :(.

anyway bro in this video Abdur Raheem Green talks about pakistan's culture and he also says something about how ppl hold the Quran over ppls heads in pakistani weddings.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkEOLv0QOk

its also abit funny when he dances lol.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
12-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Bro, please do not cause a sense AT the wedding!!! Imagine how you would have devastated your sister if a massive fight broke out at her wedding.

I've been to a wedding where a fight broke out. It was NOT cool.

Try to advice them before or after.

_PakistaN_
12-28-2008, 06:57 AM
i wouldn't want to start a fight. but i would want to ask where they get these things from. when my mom was young people used to tell her that judgement day is in 5 years and stuff like that. if i were to go back in time. i would ask that guy: if he knew more than the prophet(pbuh), even the prohet(pbuh) did not know the day of judgement. now, 40 years later and judgement day didn't happen. i think people like this should be assasinated fo such acts against our religion

BlissfullyJaded
12-28-2008, 07:12 AM
:sl:

Heh, culture, gotta love it eh. The way to change cultural practices is not by speaking up at a social event, especially one as big as a wedding. It will result in a fight, and that is just humiliating to your family and will get you nowhere. They will only stick to their practices more adamantly to ward off your perceived extremism, and even I would say that reacting in front of people at a wedding is a tad extreme...

Talk to your family persistently on the quiet, in a gentle manner and pray for their guidance.

noorseeker
12-28-2008, 08:11 AM
The way i see it is , the way to see what point the ummah is at. is to go to a wedding and see what happens,

Its at wedding where things change , and then people accept them

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.