/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with depression.

Far7an
12-28-2008, 03:12 PM
:sl:

I, like many other brothers and sisters get very upset when we see the numbers of members telling of their hardships, depression in particular.

I'm not great at giving advice (zAk will tell you the same), however there is great wisdom and lessons to be learnt from our scholars. They work day and night helping the Muslims in their community, not only by attending to the work in the masaajid but also helping with personal problems some individuals may face.

For those of you who don't have any scholars locally, I understand posting on this forum may be a means of being heard and consoled. You can also try and contact the ulemah through the links which Br. Qatada has provided here.

Another sister has posted an article which is very beneficial too. It is not a good idea to slam that article in someone's face if they say they're feeling down, however the rest of us should take note of some the points and address them one by one with our brothers or sisters who do need the advice.

Lastly, I just wanted to post some an article concerning what to pray in times of distress.

Praise be to Allaah.

In al-Saheehayn it was reported from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when he felt distressed:

“La ilaaha ill-Allaah al-‘Azeem ul-Haleem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb il-‘arsh il-‘azeem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb is-samawaati wa Rabb il-ard wa Rabb il-‘arsh il-kareem
(there is no god except Allaah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allaah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne; there is no god except Allaah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne).”

And it was reported from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when something upset him:

“Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoom, bi Rahmatika astagheeth (O Ever-Living One, O Everlasting One, by Your mercy I seek help).”
And it was reported that Asmaa’ bint ‘Umays (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me:

“Shall I not teach you some words to say when you feel distressed?

‘Allaah, Allaah, Rabbee laa ushriku bihi shay’an
(Allaah, Allaah, my Lord, I do not associate anything with Him).’”

It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No person suffers any anxiety or grief, and says:

‘Allaahumma innee ‘abduka wa ibn ‘abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika, maadin fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka, as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘andak an taj’ala al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi
(O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every Name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety)’

- but Allaah will take away his sorrow and grief, and give him in their stead joy.”

Al-Kalim al-Tayyib by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, edited by Shaykh al-Albaani, p. 72
Source

Let us do our part to keep the ummah strong insha'Allah.

Wasalaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-29-2008, 10:32 PM
:salamext:

I thought you needed help with depression, i was like what?! Far7an's depressed about his marriage?? lol.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-30-2008, 12:20 AM
^ yeh lol i was getting ready to tell far7an to BE A MAN!!!!!

Far7an
12-30-2008, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext:

I thought you needed help with depression, i was like what?! Far7an's depressed about his marriage?? lol.
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
^ yeh lol i was getting ready to tell far7an to BE A MAN!!!!!
Lol, I'm guessing others probably thought the same. Rest assured my brothers, I am not in a state of depression.

We ask Allaah for guidance and protection, aameeen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Heh, brothers (not Far7an) talk about ruining a serious thread's atmosphere.

JazakAllah kheyr Far7an for the thread and may Allah subhana we ta'ala reward you for your concerns! Amiin!

AnonymousPoster
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Well, I am very very depressed and I need all the help I can get, although I do think I am beyond help now. imsad

جوري
01-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I came to this thread for same purpose sob7an Allah, how can far7an be 7aznan? good read akhi.. May Allah fill all our collective hearts with joy insha'Allah..

for the last poster.. I know there is alot on the forum going by way of anti-psychiatry -- I don't know if your depression is chemical or circumstantial.. if the latter may Allah swt help you with your affairs..
if chemical, well may Allah swt also help you with your affairs.. but I would also recommend this..
http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-...ProductReviews

it has lesser side effects than regular SSRIS but is useful only in mild to moderate depression.. perhaps if you espouse this to life style and outlook change, by way of exercise and spirituality it might work well for you, I'd recommend you tell your current GP before starting any med though to see might they interact together unfavorably!
And Allah swt knows best

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.