/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How did you make your £?

Yanal
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
:sl:
When you were a kid , recomended 13 or 14 years of age , how did you make your money?£

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
massaging dad

rubbing oil on his back

lil chores out n about

from aunties/uncles who gave it

sometimes when i use to be naughty n get scolded my dad use to give money after coz he use to feel bad about punishing me !

Assalamu Alaikum

Yanal
12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Funny way..

glo
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Yanal, this is off topic, but I am wondering how you manage to be 110%?
Are you a superhero of some kind? :D

To answer your question, I never made any money when I was 13 or 14 ... but my daughter is that age. She has made some crafty things and sold them for a small profit.
She also used to deliver newspapers.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
H4RUN
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Sell your shoes to your friends, then go to their house, play hide and sneak i mean seek...As they hide, find the shows and sneak off back to your house. JOBS A GOOD'UN!

Zahida
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
:sl: Fluttered my eyelashes at my dad!!! Being the youngest and having five brothers money was not a problem!!!! Shukar Alhumdohlillah!!!!:w::D

Yanal
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes I'm bat- mods foe " The JOKER".

Zahida
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
:sl:TUT TUT!!!:w::D
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
Sell your shoes to your friends, then go to their house, play hide and sneak i mean seek...As they hide, find the shows and sneak off back to your house. JOBS A GOOD'UN!

glo
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: Fluttered my eyelashes at my dad!!!
Not sure that will work for Yanal! :D

Far7an
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM

My parents used to give it to me when I needed it, however some of my students have some great ideas:

1. Buy a big pack of lollipops in the supermarket and sell them for 20p each on the playground.
2. Bring in your Sony PSP or Nintendo DS to school and charge £1 for 15 mins of play on it.
3. Order some free sim cards off the internet, plenty of places you can get them for free, and sell them for £1 or £2 to friends.

The above techniques will only work so long as your school does not have an anti-games console or anti-students trading policy :).

Yanal
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Jazakallah but your a teacher on what subject?

Faith.
12-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Interesting Question...
I'd clean the car for my dad
and Id get extra if I gave it a wash as well
:w:

ajnabee
12-30-2008, 10:32 PM
cool thread. :D

i used to make friendship bracelets and sell them to my class mates... and then they started placing orders... tellin me which colours they wanted. lol how sad i was.

other than that, hmm just used to pester my mum if i needed (ok, wanted) anything to buy. being their only daughter worked in my favour. :D

Zahida
12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
:sl: True............. however my son only has to look at me with those big brown soppy eyes and my heart melts and i give in................

It goes something like this...."Mum can i have a pound?"

"NO"....................
"Please mum...................."
"OK".....................:D

I guess i am just a softy!!!!
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Not sure that will work for Yanal! :D

Zahida
12-30-2008, 10:36 PM
:sl: LOL!!!!!!!! My students sell cigarettes and then pay for it toooooo!!!:D:w:
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

My parents used to give it to me when I needed it, however some of my students have some great ideas:

1. Buy a big pack of lollipops in the supermarket and sell them for 20p each on the playground.
2. Bring in your Sony PSP or Nintendo DS to school and charge £1 for 15 mins of play on it.
3. Order some free sim cards off the internet, plenty of places you can get them for free, and sell them for £1 or £2 to friends.

The above techniques will only work so long as your school does not have an anti-games console or anti-students trading policy :).

Far7an
12-30-2008, 10:37 PM
:sl: LOL!!!!!!!! My students sell cigarettes and then pay for it toooooo!!!:D:w:
That will never work as I'm sure every school has an anti-smoking policy.

At least... I hope so!

Yanal
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Farhan ur a teacher?:o

IbnAbdulHakim
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
well at school i use to make the most money during ramadan.

because i use to sell my lunch ticket

my friend use to make this delicious sanasur-fried-mix in a container and sell it

trust me you wont find that AAANYwhere else in this entire dunya, ti was GOOD!

_PakistaN_
12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
i used to get kicked out of house at that age, i remember

Woodrow
12-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Things were a little different when I was a kid. I started working when I was 5 mowing lawns in the summer, shoveling driveways in the winter. When I was 7 I started working summers full time on a dairy farm. When I was 14 I went to work full time on a tobacco farm. At 16 I was working full time as a grocery clerk in a little country grocery store.

this was at a time when the USA was recovering from the "Great Depression" and it was normal for kids to go to work to help pay expenses. Yep, my mother charged me rent. But, it was deeply needed at the time. We were quite poverty stricken then.

also at 14 I started working Saturdays at a local private airport washing and cleaning light aircraft in exchange for flying lessons.

north_malaysian
12-31-2008, 07:39 AM
when I was 10, my father would give me RM 0.10 for every Arabic word that I could memorised

Ummu Sufyaan
12-31-2008, 08:01 AM
chores like sweeping, etc
and i used to (with my siblings) help our neighbor with her gardening :-[

nebula
12-31-2008, 08:09 AM
hmm ive never actually made any money on my own to be quite honest...

maybe i have but i dnt think i can remember. :peace:

Zahida
12-31-2008, 08:51 AM
:sl:Yes it is a secondary school and they find a way. The lunch controllers know where to look but the kids are devious and always find a new place. The most popular being behind the sports hall. The school is very big so the kids don'thave a problem from moving from one place to another............:D:w:
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
That will never work as I'm sure every school has an anti-smoking policy.

At least... I hope so!

Nájlá
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
when very young about 7 i'd sing for me family so they go and give me money or draw. lol

but now i get money whenever i need it most of the time. depens on how much i want.
also i save some of my dinner money.

glo
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Just as a side comment, I have never given my children money for doing chores around the house.
I know other parents do, but I want my children to learn that chores are just that: chores. They need to be done as part of the daily household routine. And everybody needs to do their part.

The reward is not any financial benefit but the joy and peace of a functioning household, knowing that we all work together and help each other.

Nawal89
12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
^ I never got money for any chores I did. My mother told me it was my responsiblity to do it.

At 15 I worked with my dad. Thats how I made my money :D. Before that I would just ask my mummy very very nicely.

Zahida
12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
:sl:Very wisely spoken. I have a girl and a boy and they are both taught their responsibility equally. All this about the woman doing the housework is history. I make my son do things around the house too and teach him that it's our house and we have to keep it organised together...........:w::)
Just as a side comment, I have never given my children money for doing chores around the house.
I know other parents do, but I want my children to learn that chores are just that: chores. They need to be done as part of the daily household routine. And everybody needs to do their part.

The reward is not any financial benefit but the joy and peace of a functioning household, knowing that we all work together and help each other.

Ashjan95
12-31-2008, 11:43 AM
When i was the youngest i used to ask my dad for everything and he used to give me it but when my brother came to the world my dad left me and now gives everything for my brother he is 9 now but i used to go to this health thing and do activites and then i get 15 pounds but it finnished coz it was only on for a few weeks but now i work in this youht club called Al-gazali youth club but i quit coz none of the girls listend to me.....(i didnt get paid though lol)

S_87
12-31-2008, 12:23 PM
an allowance

Al-Zaara
12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
glo - We never got money for chores either, I remember how I thought my friends were weird if they got paid for doing the chores in their parents house. My Mum said this is way easier than paying rent (which she explained to me and I found it was way more tiring), so I did it without further asking. :D

In my family, we just got our money sometimes, never really asked myself except if I went out or bought my friends something. Aswell, back then we had 'Suomen markka', so we got like 5 mk each every Friday and when I was 10 and euro came, we started getting 2 euro each every Friday. Ah, memories.

Anyways, you could babysit? Or take care of the neighbour's cat? You could save some money and then put them aside to a bank account?

crayon
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I waited patiently till the end of the week to get my allowance..
Which I never used for anything, because if my brothers and I wanted toys or candy or whatever it is that kids want, my parents would usually buy it for us.

Nowadays, in summers I'm pretty much broke, and get my allowance like 2 months in advance, lol, since I never seem to have enough cash.:p
I make some money from selling my photos, in several different methods (haven't started them all yet though, still in the process inshallah)

Al-Zaara
12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
^ I'm kind of broke aswell, especially during the summer, so I work as much as I can. Reminds me, I should already be searching for a part-time job. imsad "Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world..." :cry:

glo
01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
:sl:Very wisely spoken. I have a girl and a boy and they are both taught their responsibility equally. All this about the woman doing the housework is history. I make my son do things around the house too and teach him that it's our house and we have to keep it organised together...........:w::)
I agree!

My son has just turned 12. He loves to cook and bake and has cooked several family meals during the Christmas holidays. (He cooks well too!)

format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
glo - We never got money for chores either, I remember how I thought my friends were weird if they got paid for doing the chores in their parents house.
My daughter came home the other day and told me she had been paid by her friend's mother for taking the rubbish out! :ooh:
Her friend was supposed to do it, but made some excuse ... and when my daughter just took the rubbish bags to take them outside, the mother gave her the money. (My daughter was a little embarrassed, but didn't quite know how to refuse. Plus she must have thought this was her chance to earn some extra cash! :D)

Mysterious Uk
01-01-2009, 11:33 PM
washing dishes and crying. My dad can't stand it when we cry and so gives us money to shut us up :)

Tony
01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
brought up in village so door to door asking to wash cars, gardening etc. Proved to be profitable, alays had sweets, teeth are paying price for it now though !:laugh:

Muzzy
01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Yanal made his money helping me clean my room. Actually I will reframe that sentence. He cleaned my bed room.

glo
01-01-2009, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzzy
Yanal made his money helping me clean my room. Actually I will reframe that sentence. He cleaned my bed room.
How much was the job worth??

Muzzy
01-02-2009, 12:04 AM
50$, because my rooms big and messy.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-02-2009, 12:28 AM
^ your yanals bro? :ooh:

Mawaddah
01-02-2009, 01:14 AM

When I was 10 I used to make tarts and little pies and sell them at the masjid on Fridays :D

When I was 15 I used to make money by making cakes and stuff for peoples get togethers and parties and what not.

At 17 I worked with dad and made some big money which went into my bank account.

wth1257
01-02-2009, 01:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
When you were a kid , recomended 13 or 14 years of age , how did you make your money?£

I was a hired gun for Columbian drug lords :statisfie

that and chores

then when I turned 15 I worked at a grocery store

Not as exciting: (

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 01:34 AM
I never had a job apart from minor stuff like mowing the lawn. Then there's the teaching and translating but it doesn't really pay off, I'd do it for free, the teaching, I mostly do it for free actually.
I got a scholarship and my folks give me pocket money.

Yanal
01-02-2009, 06:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
^ your yanals bro? :ooh:
Asalam A'lakum Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh
No bro he's a fake guy... I don't wish to speak about it .

wth1257
01-02-2009, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
washing dishes and crying. My dad can't stand it when we cry and so gives us money to shut us up :)
ughhh I hate that. Like a girl I know who get's out of tickets by crying.

I'm really just jelous saince it doesn't work for guys:embarrass

It's not fair that women have such a powerfull weapon and we have nothing:raging:

not fair at all:D

S_87
01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
ughhh I hate that. Like a girl I know who get's out of tickets by crying.

I'm really just jelous saince it doesn't work for guys:embarrass

It's not fair that women have such a powerfull weapon and we have nothing:raging:

not fair at all:D
do you mean youve tried crying before? :lol:

wth1257
01-02-2009, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
do you mean youve tried crying before? :lol:
:'(

No:p

But I assume so. Next time I am asked to do something I don't want, or I'm trying to get something I'll just cry and we'll see how it works:D

"Hey could you pick up a coffe while your out?"
'but...but...sob..It's out of my way....sob...."

I don't think I will have many friends left after that scene:D

Chuck
01-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I used to get monthly allowance from my parents, for extra cash I used to work on my grand dad's farm, he used to pay me few $s for all the work I did on the farm :(

Made some money by gold panning too, there was a stream near our farms, and sometimes you could find small pieces of gold through panning.

And of course with part-time jobs, like helping in garage sales, working in shops, trading collectible items, etc...

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Made some money by gold panning too, there was a stream near our farms, and sometimes you could find small pieces of gold through panning.
How much is some money if you don't mind me asking

Chuck
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
How much is some money if you don't mind me asking
Very small, most of the time it waste of time. Used to get lot of shouting from my parents and grand dad for sitting in the stream. But it was fun :D

Actually, it was not that bad, total I earned more than $2,000 from that stream, but the time it did take was not worth it.

Yanal
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Asalam A'lakum Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh.
I thank all non Muslims and say JazakAllah for Muslims for helping me get tips on how to make money. But overall in one year by doing these things how much did you people earn?

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I thank all non Muslims and say JazakAllah for Muslims for helping me get tips on how to make money. But overall in one year by doing these things how much did you people earn?
Don't you have some sort of organizations that provide work for students in the UK?
Edit: oops, you appear to be Canadian, don't you have such organizations in Canada?

Ansariyah
01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
My uncle owns a Jewellery Store..I worked there 2 years ago. 2 days in a week (only for 3 hours a day). All I had to do was memorize all the names of all the jewellery in the store n where they're from originally (hard work lol)..in case customers ask I wud answer. Cause the people who worked for him, cudnt answer the customers Questions about the jewellery.

Yanal
01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
No we have to be at least 15 to work over here in Canada.

Banu_Hashim
01-02-2009, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
massaging dad
Haha, I would always have to do this. For other elder relatives as well. Although I never got money. Instead I got dua's for a house in jannah etc... which in my opinion is a lot better :).

I don't think I thought so at 12/13.

Whatsthepoint
01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
No we have to be at least 15 to work over here in Canada.
I thought you were older. Yeh its the same in most of the world, it fights child labor.

Woodrow
01-05-2009, 03:14 PM
From the time I was 7 until I was 14 I made $60 to $100 dollars per year. In todays economy that would equal 600 to 1000 dollars. At 14 I averaged $20 per day in the summer, that was at a time when minimum wage was 35 cents per hour and the average income for adults was $200 a month. That was for picking tobacco, we got paid for the amount we picked, 15 cents per double row picking and dragging some picked only and got 10 cents per bent others only dragged for 5 cents per bent. A bent was the distance between the tent poles, I think it was 20 feet. I averaged picking 150 bents per 12 hour day. Definetly a haram job for a Muslim, but I was not Muslim at the time and did not know better.

aadil77
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Yanal, this is off topic, but I am wondering how you manage to be 110%?
Are you a superhero of some kind? :D

To answer your question, I never made any money when I was 13 or 14 ... but my daughter is that age. She has made some crafty things and sold them for a small profit.
She also used to deliver newspapers.
yep paper rounds was the best way for me at that age

Yanal
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Paper rounds are......

Woodrow
01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Paper rounds are......
Them little round pieces of paper, that fall to the floor when you use a paper punch.

It is also the job of delivering newspapers from house to house.

Yanal
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
JazakAllah.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Haha, I would always have to do this. For other elder relatives as well. Although I never got money. Instead I got dua's for a house in jannah etc... which in my opinion is a lot better :).

I don't think I thought so at 12/13.
mashAllaah!!

altho im sure my dad always gave me dua's for everything i did for him, so i win both ways :p :D

Re.TiReD
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Hmm I dont remember.

Although I didnt 'make' it as such. I asked for it, got it and spent it. Alhamdulillah.

WassalamuAlaykum

Danah
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM

I agree...:thumbs_up

some of my brothers and sisters do this with their children and I always said that they need to make their children take it for granted and dont discuss or ask for anything in return.

well, now how I got my money......I remembered my father started a contest when I was 10 or 11 that whoever memorize juzz 30 of Quran, will got a really big amount of money....so we started compete with each other until we all got it:)
but usually I tend to mention to my father what I need first, then ask for the money for it.......I followed the common sense lol

me: Father I need to buy blah blah blah
father: Okay, Do you have money?
me: No, thats why I come to you ^_^
father: how much you need?
me: around blah or blah *which is more than the first blah ^_^*....and usually he give me the second one :thumbs_up

thats all.........btw, until now I do the same thing

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.